Chapter 40

Chapter 40

"We're going to play an original now." I grinned at the crowd. "It's called A Yellow Car."

I heard Jasper suck in a breath. He hadn't known that he had left behind the book where he had written down his songs when he walked out on us.

We started to play the song. After a moment of hesitation he joined in. The song was about our experiences together and how they changed him. It was our journey.

"We're racing through the streets, chasing daylight." The last line of the song was greeted with cheers.

I was quite proud of our rendition, and the crowd seemed to like it too. We thanked them for wanting to listen to us again, waved goodbye and descended.

"That was amazing." Zach breathed out.

I could do nothing but nod, enjoying the feeling of the adrenaline zipping through me.

"Next time, can you give me a little warning before you use my song in public? Jasper pouted.

"Don't worry, everyone loved it. Wait, does that mean you're going to agree to write songs for us in the future?" I asked eagerly.

"Don't expect too much from them." He shrugged.

We spotted Scarlett's grandmother coming towards us at the same time.

"You were brilliant." She smiled, having eyes only for her grand-daughter.

"Thank you." Scarlett looked wary, but a little pleased.

"Come home." This was said in such a hopeful manner that it was heatbreaking.

"I can't." She flinched.

"But you're going to get kicked out of your appartment!" I protested.

"Jasper's offered a room in his house. He says I can pay the rent whenever I have it."

Her grandmother looked a little disappointed, but she looked like she understood.

"I will come back one day." Scarlett's voice was soft and reassuring. "As soon as I feel like I'm ready."

"I know you will."

Both of them stepped forward tentatively, then decided to bridge the gap between them and wrapped their arms around each other. Scarlett closed her eyes, looking a little more peaceful than before.

My parents who had been watching the scene from the sidelines started to speak. I noticed that they had conflicted expressions on their faces.

"We're afraid we have some bad news." My father told me.

My heart started to beat faster.

"We're going to have to move back to Telluride." My mother continued, twisting her hands nervously.

"Why?" I felt cold and disconnected. "Is it because I disobeyed you?"

"No! I realize how much this means to you now. It was unfair to deny you music." She said hurriedly. "But we haven't been able to sell the house. We'll have to go back and stay until it's sold."

"Oh." I nearly slumped to the ground because of the overwhelming disappointment. There was really nothing I could do.

"Wait. Lexa doesn't have to move." Jasper spoke up. "She can stay in my house, since we're renting out rooms. After all, Scarlett will be there as well."

"We'll have to talk to your mother before we make any decisions." Dad's forehead was creased, which meant he was considering it.

"We could go now." Jasper offered.