Chapter 1

Another new story! This is dedicated to jules130 because she's an amazing author and I like her music taste. And if she's reading this, do you have a Tracy Chapman addiction yet?

-

"I'm still alive, but I'm barely breathing, just praying to a god that I don't believe in. 'Cause I got time and she got freedom, 'cause when a heart breaks, no it don't break even."

I groaned, turned over and hit my alarm clock. I think it's the only clock in the world that can play the songs I like, but in a persistent and loud way.

Jake wired it to do that. Every night, before I go to sleep, I have to connect my iPod to my alarm. The next morning, it plays a random song from my list, effectively waking me up. It gives me just enough time to hide the iPod.

I stumbled into the bathroom and sang the rest of the song as I was attacked by a stream of cold water.

"What am I supposed to do when the best part of me was always you? What am I supposed to say when I'm all choked up and you're OK? I'm falling to pieces, I'm falling to pieces."

Long after I came out, I brooded over the song that had been selected to get me out of bed. Perhaps there was reason that it was a sad song, for it was an ominous day.

Today was the day we were shifting far away from Telluride, Colorado, somewhere I had lived for most of my life. I was headed to New York City; the city that never sleeps. The city which is also the music center of the world. It should be the perfect place for me.

Unfortunately, my parents think otherwise, since they already have my career path chosen and it does not involve music.

"Our daughter's going to be a scientist," they proudly tell everyone. If only they knew that was the last thing on my mind when I thought about my future.

My name's Alexandra, one of the most used names in the world. I hate it. I hate it when people call me Alex as well, because it really isn't much better than my full name. A nickname is supposed to make you feel different; like you're not just one of the countless others with the same name. That's why I prefer to be called Lexa.

The one thing in the world that I'm passionate about is music, but I have to keep it a secret. This is because my parents don't approve of any activity other than studying, although they specifically cannot stand music, which has given rise to an elaborate system based on little white lies that I rely on to indulge in the forbidden activity.

My album collection is hidden in the farthest corner of my cupboard and my i-Pod was purchased in secret by the only person who supports me, my elder brother Jake.

It has not been an easy task keeping such a major part of my life hidden but doing it in NYC is taking it to another level.

It's not that my town doesn't have music savvy people. I have a group of best friends who love music; but are into different genres. Kyla likes the legends and anything from the last decades. Julie's more into metal and emo. Tasha's obsessed with anything on the radio. Rock and Alternative are Erica's favorites.

Me? I'm into a little bit of everything. I also like listening to bands which haven't become popular yet, but deserve to.

While packing my bags for the last time and getting ready to leave the house, I remembered the way I had been told about this very day.

I had the strangest mix of emotions on my face when my parents had told me about our imminent move. They had wasted no time in casually announcing the life-changing news.

"Honey, we're moving to New York City."

I had managed to nod dumbly but struggled to keep a straight face.