[Seven-Minute Semblance] GODS...

By HeadphonesAndLuck

[This story will become free on July 20, 2022!] When the tissue papers of destiny and an unexpected murder ca... More

Chapter 1 - The Tissue Paper of Destiny
Chapter 2 - The Million Peso Question
Chapter 3 - The Legendary Library Meeting
Chapter 4 - Codes, Ciphers, and Codenames
Chapter 5 - Uncovered Fragments
Chapter 6 - Concealed Whole
Chapter 7 - A Seven-Minute Semblance
Chapter 8 - Lost Four
Chapter 9 - Contracts And Conditions
Chapter 10 - Anonymity
Chapter 11 - Finding Four
Chapter 12 - A Broken Cup, Tea, and Cake
Chapter 13 - Rerum Cognoscere Causas
Chapter 14 - Cold Blue
Chapter 15 - Red Hot
Chapter 16 - Veritas Liberabit Vos
Chapter 17 - I Kinda Bludgeoned a Non-existent Bro-Code
Chapter 18 - We Chilled in the Devil's Receiving Hall
Chapter 19 - 372A High Street
Chapter 20 - Anagram of Fate
Chapter 21 - Dave Casedale Drew
FIMBULWINTER || Chapter 1 - Date with Destiny
FIMBULWINTER || Chapter 2 - Fake Calm
FIMBULWINTER || Chapter 3 - A Gratuitous Homecoming
FIMBULWINTER || Chapter 4 - True Storm
FIMBULWINTER || Chapter 5 - I was Stupid Enough to Wager Against the Drama Queen
FIMBULWINTER || Chapter 6 - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
FIMBULWINTER || Chapter 7 - How Do I Save a Life?
FIMBULWINTER || Chapter 8 - Acta Non Verba
FIMBULWINTER || Chapter 9 - Closed Hearts
FIMBULWINTER || Chapter 10 - Open Minds
FIMBULWINTER || Chapter 11 - I got another Happy Meal
FIMBULWINTER || Chapter 12 - In Absentia Lucis, Tenebrae Vincunt
FIMBULWINTER || Chapter 13 - Trigger Warning
FIMBULWINTER || Chapter 14 - Neon Signs
FIMBULWINTER || Chapter 15 - Wyse and
FIMBULWINTER || Chapter 16 - XHZNUSBUWQKDOCSUBWQZ
FIMBULWINTER || Chapter 17 - Tea Cups and Cake
FIMBULWINTER || Chapter 18 - I Screamed at a Funeral Then We Became Famous
FIMBULWINTER || Chapter 19 - The Mad Hatter's Game
FIMBULWINTER || Chapter 20 - Ego Te Absolvo
GFR Anniversary Special || A Seven-Minute Semblance of Normality (Part 1)

FIMBULWINTER || Chapter 21 - Kiel Alf Whitdur

12K 816 1.9K
By HeadphonesAndLuck

FUTHARK WILL DIE

Nicholas James.

5. November.
Friday, 10:30 a.m.
Coronado University.

Pardon me whilst I sort my thoughts out and count the good and the bads here.

I told Edward Dace where Melissa is. Good.
The executives of Wonderland Organisation finally trusted me with the Mad Hatter's plan. Brilliant.
Time hasn't said anything since she confiscated Heimdall's list from Alice. Bad.
The Mad Hatter's binder was thick and ominous. Bad.
Somebody texted me, saying his boss'd kill Alice and Kiel on November 6's school play. Bad. Very bad.

I frowned. The Bad outnumbered the Good.

Who in the heaven's high tea party would threaten Alice and Kiel and contact me? Somebody from the org? Somebody jealous of them? A fan? A goat? Mrs. Memoria's pet chicken?

I replied to the bad guy: "Please don't, that's not very nice."

I snuggled my bunny bag and watched students come and go, run to and fro, live their lives, and simply be human. Funny how the world seemed magical, yet ugly. Funny how you can die inside without the world noticing.

Funny how Time would never stop for anyone.

I phoned Arthie. "Ciao, bunny," I said. Bunny-bun bun.

"Yes, sir?"

"Somebody threatened Alice and Kiel. I'll drop my phone by your office, trace the sender of the threat and bring him to the org. Know his boss's name. Torture if necessary. Double the org's men in Coronado University."

"Yes, sir. Anything else?"

"I want them alive. I want to see the face of this person who thought he could easily threaten the Mad Hatter and get away with it."

"I'll keep you posted... sir."

Call ended. Slipped my phone in my pocket. Snuggled Mr. Rabbit.

I sighed.

A second later, I ran around the university quadrangle, looking for Alice. "ALIIIIIIIIIICEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

She was not in the quadrangle, she was not in Wessex, she was not in Northumbria, she was not in Kent. Professors and student assistants chased me and forbid me from screaming. Said I was distracting other students. I didn't listen and kept running.

I was quick like a bunny! To the Essex Theatre Hall I went!

"AAAAAALLLIIIIIII—ciaaooo, Elizabeth, have you seen Alice?"

Elizabeth said Alice was with the others, rehearsing for the play, and that she could pick her up for me. I told her I was wondering if Mr. Henry Fortes would be glad to have me watch the play too and she agreed to give him a head's up. I was jumpy when I saw Alice.

"Bakit ka nandito?" asked Alice.

"I need to talk to Jule."

"Why?"

"Remember our ship?"

"Hemlock?"

"No, Joyehark? FuJo? We'll think of their ship name later. I need to talk to Jule in secret!"

"Why are you panicking?! May nangyari ba?"

I stood still. "I am calm. I had too much cake and I got excited seeing the stage decorated for tomorrow's play."

Alice grimaced. "Sasabihin ko kay Sir Henry na libangin sina Kuya Kiel at Edward para masolo mo si Kuya Jule."

"That's all I ask, thank you!"

Alice clicked her tongue and went to the backstage. I waited at the dais. A few moments later, I saw Jule and Alice heading near the exit. Jule's arm was around Alice's shoulder so it could only mean one thing: he's threatening the poor girl.

They talked for a few moments.

Come on now, Alice. Give me my turn.

My turn came after Alice pissed Jule off and Jule walked away. Jule noticed me staring at him. I waved my hand.

"Ciao," I said. "Ciao, ciao."

Jule was so excited to see me, he marched all the way to the dais and grabbed my collar. What a time to be alive. "Let's talk," he hissed, dragging me outside.

We were sat at a bench.

"Who's the last victim in the Mad Hatter's Death Game?" he asked, glaring at me.

I placed my bunny bag on my lap and played with it. "I don't know. I'm the Mad Hatter, I'm not a soldier in the front line. I delegate tasks, and let my men do all the dirty work. If I didn't know who did it, I would not be implicated."

"Then why would you send me a message just to say you'd kill Futhark tomorrow?"

My hand froze in midair. I turned to Jule. "Interesting. I received the same message too."

His expression changed. "Who would send the two of us the same message..." he muttered, thinking.

Time? No. Time was uninvolved with Kiel Alf Whitdur.

Jule raised his hand, waving and flicking his fingers in the air. His gestures conjured images in my head and my imagination carried me to a lunar planetarium where ideas and words shone like stars, and Jule was the astronaut guiding me.

It took me back to the days when he'd take me to different adventures.

"The sender could be someone connected to the both of us," Jule said, snapping his fingers repeatedly, like a tic.

In each snap, a list of names appeared in the space between us. A mini-galaxy of names floated in front of Jule, and in front of me, another galaxy of all the names of all the people I've met and have known.

The stars of the names connected into networks and chains of people we both know, meeting in the middle, narrowing down to seven names, with one particular name shining the brightest.

"No," Jule said, striking the name down. He angrily turned to me, his nostrils flaring. "If you think I'll fall for your trap, then you're an idiot."

The dark planetarium walls broke and shattered like glass, bringing me back to the real world.

"What?" I asked, still feeling tingly from our voyage from space.

"You want me to think that you're also a victim, when in fact this is just a part of your plan!"

"This is not a part of my plan, I swear!" I got on my feet. "I wanted to know who sent the threat too and of course I wouldn't want to put Alice in danger!"

"How can I be sure that this is not one of your schemes?" He crossed his arms. "Why would I trust you?"

"You don't have to trust me! You just need to believe me! We're both facing a potentially dangerous enemy!"

He narrowed his eyes. "And why would I believe you?"

"Because!" My shoulders sagged and my eyebrows arched. Why do I need to prove myself to Jule Lewis Uresonderry?

"Because I believed you when we were kids and you said all fairytales end in an "and they lived happily ever after"! Even if they didn't... and even if they would never."

His eyes widened. "Then why did you shoot me? Why did you choose the organisation?"

I stared at him.

The answer was obvious.

"It's not fair that you're the only one with a family."

"That's why you kept ruining mine. And now that I found a new one, you want to ruin that too." Jule scoffed. "You're pathetic."

He walked away, maybe taking his turn to touch the skies.

I lifted Mr. Bunny up. "Bunny bun-bun, do you know why I'm following the Mad Hatter's plan?"

"Because it's the only father-son bonding that you'll ever have!" Mr. Lion replied.

"I'm glad you understand me. I'm sure Pa's proud of me."

"Is he really?"

I was shocked when the stuffed animal bag actually talked. I pressed my ear against his chest. Did somebody put a speaker in my bag?

"Mr. Rabbit, did you talk? Because if you did, I'm gonna freak out."

"You believe in fairytales but freak out when it comes true. Interesting."

I followed the voice and saw a magical human person sitting under a fire tree. He wore an azure tunic and his silver hair was messily braided into locks. I want to touch his hair.

"You can touch my hair," he said. He looks sleepy, but not tired. Tired is chaotic, sleepy is serene and fluffy. "Some students stopped by and braided them for me."

I knelt beside him and attempted a fishtail braid, to make his hair like Elsa's. "My Pa's proud of me, isn't he?"

"I am not your father, I cannot answer that," he replied, taking my bunny bag and stroking its ears. "But if you know you have done what he would approve of, then evidence suggests that he is indeed proud."

"Truth be told, I don't know if he would approve. I barely know him."

"Then why would it matter if he's proud of you?"

"Because he's my dad."

"Is your worth based on your father's validation?"

I stopped braiding his hair. "What are you trying to say?"

"I've known Norcross when he was still your age." The magical human person smiled. "He would be proud of you if you discovered the world you'd be happy to live in."

"How did you know Norcross? Who are you? And w-what if I didn't discover a world I'd be happy to live in?"

"Then create a world of your own. Norcross would be prouder." He stood, handed me my bag, and smiled. "Right now, look for a person they call Harold."

"Harold Coronado? Why?"

"When you see him, you'll know why."

Look for a Harold, huh.

KIEL ALF WHITDUR

Joyeuse.

31. October.
Sunday, 8:00 p.m.
372A High Street.

NO MAN'S MIND can possibly lie wholly at the disposition of another, for no one can willingly transfer his natural right of free reason and judgement, or be compelled to do so. (Hobbes, 1651)

SCHIZOAFFECTIVE SCHIZOPHRENIA: a disorder which is a combination of schizophrenia and mood disorder. Symptoms include psychoses, hallucinations, delusions, depression, and mania.

And for some dumb, unfathomable reasons, Futhark has it.

SEE YOU NEXT MOONLIGHT: a play written by Nicholas James. To be housed at the Essex Theatre, on November 6, 2027. Story revolves around Margarethe (played by Alice Legaspi), strong independent woman who becomes a warrior after her lover Ulfrik (played by Futhark), a man bereft of love and fuelled by hatred and revenge towards the cruel world who stole everything from him, dies from the hands of Walter (played by Edward Dace), a man who has everything and more.

ALFADUR: also called Njal. He's Lance's adoptive father and Laevateinn's mentor. Was looking for Coronado University on a Sunday, to visit his children. Who could his children be?

• Lance
• Laevateinn
• Others

Was he uninformed of Lance's resignation or did he have another adoptive or real child in Coronado?

What is his reason for summoning Laevateinn? Is he involved with Wonderland Organisation?

Did Nicholas pay him to separate Laevateinn from us?

I doubt Njal's the type to be bought by money.
He is not cheap.

Maybe he summoned Laevateinn because I blabbed that he lacked conviction.

REALITY.

372A High Street. We invited Harold and Ichaival over and offered them cake as a token of our gratitude for being our emergency chauffeur at all times. We left Futhark to the hospital's care and we left the door unlocked for Laevateinn.

We sat at the living room and ate cake. Fenrir napped on my foot so I haven't moved for the last thirty minutes.

"Catatonic Schizophrenia ba ang sakit ni Futhark?" asked Ichaival, then he sipped tea. He actually helped Edward prepare tea earlier, as Edward's was a disgraceful disaster. "Wala akong balita kay Tita Charity dahil hindi ko pa s'ya nabibisita kahit isang beses."

"You mean isang bes?" kidded Zweihänder. "Kasi kapag beses, plural."

"Dapat beer ang iniinom ko ngayon..." Ichaival frowned at his teacup.

"His disorder is actually Schizoaffective Schizophrenia," I answered. "Catatonia is one of the symptoms of his psychosis."

"So what triggered it?" asked Zweihänder. He played with a cake flower that he specifically requested.

"We don't know," I lied. "Must be stress."

"Actually, nag-aalala si Futhark para kay Joyeuse kanina," Edward told them. "Baka na-stress masyado dahil kay Joyeuse."

I will eviscerate you, you bloody snitch.

"'Di ba 'yong play n'yo ay sa Sabado na?" worried Ichaival. "Paano na 'yon?"

"Wala nang role si Futhark sa kalagitnaan ng kwento dahil namatay na 'yong character n'ya. Okay lang na mag-skip s'ya ng ilang rehearsals."

"'Yong play ang inaalala mo," said Zweihänder, "pero paano si Futhark? 'Yong pag-aaral n'ya? At saka 'di ba kailangan apat kayo sa special curriculum?"

"Paano kung habambuhay na s'ya sa ospital?" Ichaival cast us a serious look.

"Magiging okay rin si Futhark, kailangan lang n'yang magpahinga," answered Edward. He was quite certain. "About the play, we'll talk to Sir Henry. Titingnan namin kung imo-move ang date ng play o..." Edward looked away and bit his lip. "O papalitan si Fu."

"Actually"—Ichaival set his teacup down—"nag-conduct ng survey ang CC at 77% ng mga dadalo at bumili ng ticket para sa play ay si Futhark ang habol."

"I know, right?" Edward sputtered smugly. "So what's up with the other 33%?"

I coughed. "23%, genius."

Ichaival checked his notes on his smartphone. "Mga napilitan dahil mandatory daw, dahil manonood mga kaklase nila, at dahil pinilit ng jowa nila."

"If you need help"—Zweihänder smiled—"you know where and how to contact us."

"Artista at director si Tita Marcial," said Ichaival. "Namana ni Zweihänder ang—"

"Kagwapuhan?"

"—kabaitan ni Tita."

Zweihänder cleared his throat. "Na-contact n'yo na ba ang magulang ni Fu?"

"Ichaival did say that Charity Gomez is in the hospital," I said. "Keep up, Zweihänder."

"'Yung tatay n'ya kasiiii."

"I don't think Henrik would go visit him," said Edward with a doubtful pout and shrug of his shoulders.

I don't think Futhark wanted anyone to know about his father.

Ichaival and Zweihänder gasped. Ichaival pointed at us with his mouth ajar from shock. "Si Henrik Whitdur! Ibig sabihin nagkakilala nga sila ni Tita Charity sa GB6!"

"Kakausapin n'yo ba si Henrik?" asked Zweihänder. His tone changed a little, as if he deliberately changed the subject. "May connections si Val sa GB6 dahil kay Kristina Guevarra."

Edward took his turn to gasp. "Kristina? 'Yong reporter?"

Ichaival's lips tightened as he nodded. He was flushed, but chose to suppress it. Huh, so that was a Gomez trait. Futhark used to do that.

"I'm going to spend the night at the hospital," I absentmindedly announced.

"Iiwan n'yo akong mag-isa rito?" asked Edward. "Gago, pa'no kapag may multo?"

"Relax, we played the Ouija Board last Friday and nothing happened."

"Walang nangyari kasi magsisimula pa lang ang mga katatakutaaan~" teased Zweihänder, in a spooky tone.

Edward shivered and stifled a shriek. I shook my head, scowling at Zweihänder.

"Ang lakas ng loob mong manakot"—Ichaival kicked Zweihänder's foot—"e napakaduwag mo."

Zweihänder blew raspberries.

"Kung babalik kayong dalawa sa ospital," said Ichaival, standing up, "ihahatid na namin kayo. Tapos dederetso na kami pauwi. Zwei, sa ospital tayo pupunta pero hindi ka ambulansya kaya bagalan mo ang pagpapatakbo, ha?"

"Fine." Zweihänder raised his hands and grinned.

"I don't get it," I said. "You're saying fine, but your face looks like you're going to do something mischievous."

Ichaival facepalmed. "Babagalan n'ya ang takbo pero titili naman s'ya na parang ambulansya."

Zweihänder clicked his tongue and winked at us.

"Please don't," said Edward. "Malakas ang pandinig ko at nagpipintig ang tainga ko kapag may sumisigaw. Isipin mo na lang ay karwahe ni drama queen ang pinaaandar mo."

"Okay, Cinderella"—Zweihänder out a hand on my shoulder—"ihahatid na kita kay Prince Charming."

31. October.
Sunday, 11:00 p.m.
Harriet Medical City.

TASKS:
• Wait for Laevateinn
• Think of an excuse for Futhark
• School Play
• Mad Hatter's Death Game

EDWARD DACE curled into a ball and nestled on the bench beside the hospital window. He said he'd get some sleep because he has club work and preparations to do tomorrow. I rested on the chair beside the sleeping Futhark and read a book.

After zoning out for ten times and rereading the same passage again and again, I decided to stop trying. I scanned the room, the bedside table catching my attention. They removed Futhark's metal bracelet and put it above the table. That bracelet was Futhark's grip on reality.

I'll hold on to it for a while.

I slipped the bracelet on my wrist and gazed at his face. Even when sleeping, he looked worried and suffering.

"I'm sorry I always called you useless," I whispered, holding his hand. "I was mad and hurt because you pushed me away in that burning building and you forgot all about it... you know, like a bloody twat."

Something I'd never tell him when he's awake.

"I want to make everything better for you," I went on, careful not to wake Edward Dace up, "and I promise I will... so when you wake up, please be yourself."

He shuffled, and my heart raced. I squeezed his hand.

"I trust you too," I whispered more, making sure I could hear myself clear enough to believe what I was saying. "And the three of you are my new found family."

I cringed. Right, that's enough.

I kissed his forehead and saw the crease on his forehead relaxing.

I went outside to get some fresh air. I sat by an empty bench, watching the lazy evening traffic. The air was chilly, and the humming of the night life created neon lights that danced and swirled, pulsating into a mellow, luminous nest.

I've always adored the night.

I would have brought my headphones to listen to music, but one may not be sure when someone's planning to attack. I could not risk letting my guard down.

I'll enjoy the calm tonight, as I know the true storm's coming.

3. November.
Wednesday, 8:00 a.m.
Coronado University Library.

WITH EDWARD DACE busy for the play, Laevateinn away, and Futhark in the hospital, I was left alone to attend Arthur Lukas's lecture. I ordered Edward to never leave Henry's side. We wouldn't know when someone's going to attack.

Surprisingly, Arthur was present and he didn't nonchalantly leave us with homework.

I was planning to take down notes for everyone and rub it in their faces.

Although Arthur was also not expecting my presence alone, he kept his cool and said, "So it's just you."

"Believe me, I am not happy either," I replied. I took out Futhark's notebook and his neat pencil case (read: the case was neat, the handwriting and the notes were not). I actually picked up his entire bag. He wasn't using it anyway, and mine didn't have anything useful for note-taking.

"Everyone busy with the play?" he asked, as if he didn't make Lance's cry.

I leaned on the table. "You're Nicholas's new bodyguard, right?"

His face turned serious. "Please focus on Philosophy, that's our subject."

"Alright then," I smirked, "let's talk about Philosophy, professor. Utilitarianism claims that one's worth depends on how useful one is."

His guard remained up and his whole body was tensed. "And?"

"And nothing."

He calmly restrained his anger. "Are you saying that being useful to Nicholas James is the only way I'll find worth in my pathetic life?"

I raised an eyebrow. "I was saying I did my homework."

"Mr. Uresonderry, where are the others?" He clenched his fist and forced a smile.

I shrugged. "Futhark's in the hospital, Edward's busy with the school play, and Laevateinn's gone with Njal."

Concern blended in his expression. "What happened to Futhark?"

"He got a shock last Sunday, lad went catatonic. You'd do well if you told your wee boss to stop sending death threats to people, especially Futhark."

"Nicholas didn't send death threats."

I rolled my eyes. "Why? Because you've never seen him make one?"

Arthur's lip tightened.

"Don't you dare touch Futhark"—I narrowed my eyes at him—"or Edward, or Laevateinn, or Fenrir."

He sighed, putting his class record back inside his laptop bag. "You've grown attached to them now."

"Yes." I crossed my arms. "They trust me and I trust them too."

He mused at my statement for a while, before he spoke, "What if I have some information that could make you lose that trust? Would you like me to tell you?"

The information exists, whether I know it or not, whether it could lose my trust or not.

Therefore I have to know.

"Yes," I answered.

Arthur steepled his fingers and established serious eye contact. "I was the one who rescued Futhark from the burning building in Mt. Sposa, when you left him alone to die."

Oh.

I bit my lip and leaned on the backrest. "Thank you, but how would that break my trust?"

"Because I brought him to the organisation and your brother's bandmate, Eros, took care of him. He let him join SZ12."

My lip twitched. "Is Eros a part of Wonderland?"

"You know the Uresonderries would always be connected to the Wonderland."

"But did Futhark..." My lip curled into a tight scowl. "Did Futhark join Wonderland?"

"He didn't, because if he did, his name would've been in Lance's record. He must've focused on the band, as Eros did."

"And why did you think I'd lose my trust over that?"

Arthur shrugged. "Aren't you shocked to hear this from me instead of him?"

"He said he loves me. I'm sure he's just too stupid to think of a good timing to tell me that."

Arthur smiled. "I'm glad you found love."

I stared blankly at him.

Arthur Lukas was keen with emotions. "Or are you not sure of it yourself? I don't think you'd ever date someone for their feelings. Did you date Futhark because you were bored, pissed, and frustrated and he threw himself at you because he was manic, depressed, and you happened to be there?"

Bored.

Pissed.

Frustrated.

Arthur Lukas hit the bull's eye.

"No, this time I'm sure of my feelings. He made my heart beat fast."

"Fear makes your heart race too," said Arthur with certainty. "It's Love that calms you down."

"Did Lance calm you down?"

"Always."

"Then why did you betray him?"

"You wouldn't understand."

"Tell me, still. I may not understand but at least I'd know."

"It's complicated."

"No, quantum mechanics is complicated. My question is answerable by "because I'm an asshole" or "because I didn't really love Lance" or both."

Arthur drew a long breath. "There will come a time when you have to be betrayed by the person you love the most. You have to get used to being betrayed to protect yourself."

"Fuhark will never betray me. I saw his sincerity. Neither Edward nor Laevateinn would betray me too. And Fenrir will absolutely never betray me."

"Maybe they won't... Maybe you will."

"What do you mean?"

He raised his hand. "What materials do you need to make a gun?"

My eyebrows met. "A simple gun would need wood, steel, aluminium, and brass, sometimes."

"To make a bullet?"

"Lead is the core material of a bullet."

"And the gunpowder?"

"Charcoal, saltpetre, and sulfur."

I stopped.

Saltpetre.

Lead.

Steel.

Aluminium.

These were used as murder weapons in the Hatter's Death Game.

"Now that you have everything," Arthur went on, "what's the last thing you need to fire a gun?"

I scowled. "Motive," I muttered, gazing down at my arms.

Arthur nodded with severity. "The seventh death of the Mad Hatter's Death Game."

"So it was really Nicholas... Do you know who killed Uriel Ilagan?" I asked in an audible whisper.

Arthur shook his head. "I could only tell you this much. They don't trust me enough to tell me details."

Huh.

"Then why should I believe what you've said?" I asked. "If you can say "I love you" in Lance's face and work with Wonderland behind his back, how can I trust you?"

He was taken aback for a second, until he smiled ruefully and shook his head again. "I'm sorry. You don't... you don't have to trust me." He stood and gripped the strap of his bag tightly. "But if you had to ask or investigate someone, it would be Alice Legaspi."

Great.

"Goodbye, Jule. Please don't hurt Futhark."

3. November.
Wednesday, 3:00 p.m.
Harriet Medical City.

I WENT to pick Futhark up from the hospital after uni. He had three days to rest and relax, and the hospital provided him the care that he needed. He could still perform on Saturday. He seemed to be doing better than the last few days, but he said that the last thing he could remember was chopping onions.

At first, I was relieved but after giving it some thought, I realised I ought to feel guilty, as it was my fault.

But then again, I don't care.

But if I don't care, maybe Arthur was right. Maybe I really dated Futhark because I was bored, pissed, and frustrated.

What is wrong with me.

I groaned, shoved my hands in my pockets, and plodded towards Futhark's room. I found a woman guarding the room's door. She had an overall smart look, with a bluetooth headset attached to her left ear.

I hid behind a vase and waited.

My first thought: could it be Henrik Whitdur's secretary?
The woman seemed familiar.

Some minutes later and a tall man in his late-40's exited the room. He wore a navy blue business suit, his chestnut brown chair combed to one side. He had a distinctive sea-green eyes, almost like Futhark's, and a disappointed scowl on his face. He gestured to the woman, who then followed him to the hallway.

When sure that no one else's inside the room, I sauntered over like nothing happened.

Futhark's packed and ready to leave when I entered. He was sitting up, watching cartoons on the hospital telly.

"You ready to go home?" I asked him, picking up his backpack from the floor.

He nodded and stood, slipping on his loafers. I turned the telly off.

"So... did anyone visit?" I asked again, checking the room before we leave.

He frowned at me. "No."

I grinned, closing the bathroom door then the window blinds. "Quite fond of lying now, are we?"

He picked up Edward's neck pillow and exhaled loudly. "Kinausap ka ba n'ya paglabas n'ya?"

"No, I hid behind a vase." I opened the door and we left the room. "What did you two talk about?"

Futhark didn't answer.

"Alright then, keep your secrets," I said.

Then I realised it's because he's uncomfortable and didn't want to talk about it. I should cheer him up.

I took off the metal bracelet I've been wearing for days and slipped it on his wrist. Then I held his hand. "You wouldn't be my Kiel Alf without this bracelet."

He stared at our hands before he sheepishly nodded. "Si Edward, anong oras uuwi?"

"He said he'd be late."

"Sige, ipagluluto ko na lang s'ya ng hapunan. Kumusta rehearsals?"

"They're good. Henry's quite a good director, actually, if only he stopped whinging and being a pushover."

He chuckled.

"Now that you're not uncomfortable," I said, "when will you tell me what you and Henrik Whitdur talked about?"

"Hindi mo talaga ako titigilan, ano?"

I shook my head.

He sneered and rolled his eyes. This expression of his was new to me. He placed his arms around my shoulder and since he was taller than me, I thought that this was what Edward must've felt whenever I used his shoulders as an armrest.

"He asked me to leave the initiative," he said in a low voice. "He said he'd pay for everything, he'll basically support me and my mom... kung aalis lang ako sa SMS at sa Norway titira."

"That's great, isn't it?" I guessed. "You wouldn't have to work part-times anymore. Plus, it'll be like what you said—your life would be quieter and nobody would threaten to kill you."

He stopped into a halt and stared at me.

I guessed wrong.

He shook his head with a slight chuckle. "Try again."

"That's not great, is it?" I tried again. "You wouldn't want to leave us because you... like it here...?"

Life was easier when I didn't care about anyone's feelings.

"I give up," I said, raising my hands and frowning. There's no point in putting on a smiley face, my resting frown-y face had never exhausted me. "If you're mad, be mad. I don't know what you're feeling. It's like Lance and stupid Arthur all over again."

He patted my back. "It's okay, I know it's hard for you to understand people, but get this... iiwan ko kayo, anong mararamdaman mo?"

"But you'd be happier in Norway, wouldn't you? Stress-free environment, you'd get your father's money, you'd get some rest from these." I gestured at everything and then myself. "It's what you need and it's what you want. Why would I stop you from being where you'd be better?"

"What about you?"

"Me?"

"You have the attention span of a goldfish. Tingin ko malayo lang ako sa 'yo nang ilang oras, makakahanap ka na ng bago."

Don't care about me.

"You're actually right. Wanna break up now?"

"No."

"Okay. I'm hungry, where do you want to eat?"

He furrowed his brows and dropped his jaw in disbelief.

I raised his chin up to close his mouth. "Don't gawp like that, you look stupid."

He swatted my hand like a cat. "You're the idiot." Then he suppressed a flushed smile.

Something is wrong.
Something is wrong.
Something is wrong.

I blanked and did not trust myself to speak, so I kept quiet during the entire trip. I simply listened to Futhark's stories and ramblings, like that one time I had no choice but to listen to Edward's rants. Unfortunately this time, Fenrir was not with us for comfort.

Futhark and I had early dinner at Pays des Merveilles and arrived home at 7-ish. He was not amused at the amount of books and coffee mugs scattered on the floor and the furnitures but he started cleaning right away without a word. It was as if he'd expected all the mess.

Edward came home at 9. Futhark joined him for dinner whilst I play with Fenrir. I had attempted several strategies to understand Fenrir and ask him where Laevateinn was, but despite their closely-knit bond, I doubt Fenrir and Laevateinn can communicate telepathically.

I gave up and rested my head on Fenrir, taking a nap on the floor where it felt more comfortable.

I had one unread message from Casey:

Updates on Uriel's killer. It's a male, 18 - 25 years old, no criminal records. There's a chance he could be a student in Coronado University.

None of the culprits in the Mad Hatter's Death Game had a criminal record. If Arthur himself admitted that the series of murders were because of the Mad Hatter, then I only have to interrogate Nicholas.

5. November.
Friday, 10:30 a.m.
Coronado University.
Essex Building Theatre Hall.

I SKIPPED all of my classes to accompany Edward and Futhark to the final day of rehearsals. Henry had been giving the club pep talks and confidence boosts since this 8 a.m.. It turned out he was actually the most nervous one. The club calmed him down, assuring him that everyone knew what they're doing, and that earned us a few minutes of break.

"The play's tomorrow afternoon," said Edward, leaning on his prop sword. "Hindi pa rin bumabalik si Lae."

"Didn't you have a tracker for him?" I asked, seated on a monobloc chair I brought from Literature Club.

"Nah, sa collar ni Fenrir ko nilagay 'yong tracker. Malay ko bang mapaghihiwalay pala sila ng tadhana."

Futhark leaned on my shoulders, resting his chin on my head. "Nasubukan n'yo na bang tanungin si Sir Arthur? Kahit papa'no siguro may idea s'ya kung nasaan si Lae."

"Hindi ko alam kung pa'no kakausapin si Sir Arthur. Paupo nga ako sa paa mo, drama queen, baka marumihan 'tong costume ko." Edward didn't wait for consent, he just plopped down on my shoes.

Did these boys actually see me as a recharging booth?

"Laevateinn did say he's going to call." I sniffed. Futhark smelt like cologne and baby powder. "Though he hasn't called me yet."

"Same," said Edward, fiddling with his sword's hilt. Then he pointed ahead and yelled, "Oy Aislinn, nakikita ko 'yang cellphone mo!"

Futhark pulled himself away from us. "Edward, mag-practise na tayo ng fight scene."

Edward stood up with a groan. "Perkele, gustung-gusto mong pinapatay kita, huh."

Futhark scowled at him before turning to me. "Magpa-practise lang kami sandali, ha, Jo?" The two of them walked to a clearer area.

"Sure"—I waved my hand—"I'll just talk to Alice over there."

Futhark and Edward stopped walking and rushed back to my side.

"I'm sorry what?" asked Futhark.

Edward tutted. "Dude, alalahanin mong crush ni Futhark si Alice kaya kung may binabalak kang lumandi, sa ibang babae mo na lang ipakita ang mga kulay ng mundo."

Futhark hit Edward's arm. "Edward anong kulay ng mundo, ang bata-bata mo pa kung anu-ano nang lumalabas sa bibig mo!"

"Alice is not my type," I said.

"Is it because she's younger than you?" asked Edward.

"No. I'm just going to ask her a few questions."

"Few questions about what?" Futhark furrowed his brows. I wonder if he's worried because he still likes Alice.

"Mad Hatter's Death Game." I stood up. "Arthur fessed up and confirmed it was the Mad Hatter's plan."

"That means you can ask her who killed Uriel, right?" said Edward in a low voice.

"That's if she knows."

"Paano kung wala rin s'yang alam?" asked Futhark.

"I'll find a way."

"Nagbubulung-bulungan na naman kayo sa sarili n'yong mundo."

Henry walked over to us, hitting Edward lightly with the script. "Ed, Fu, 'yong scene sa amphitheatre ang gagawin."

Edward's shoulders sagged. "Ayoko ng scene na 'yan, nasosopla ako ni Ulfrik d'yan, eh."

"At least wala ngayon si Lae para tawanan ka nang malakas! Sulitin mo na dahil pagkatapos n'ya sa trabaho n'ya ay babalik na s'ya."

"Trabaho?" the three of us boys chorused.

Henry froze. "H-Hindi ba s'ya nagpaalam na magtatrabaho raw sandali?"

Alice approached us. "Sir Henrryyy, nasa labas po si Al, manonood daw po."

Henry saw that as a chance to escape us. "OKAY BOYS, MAUNA NA AKO KASI TEACHER PALA AKO, BYE!" Then he sprinted away, only to come back again and say, "Hoy Edward, Futhark, kayo nga pala 'yong kailangan, tara na!"

The three of them headed towards the backstage and I was left alone with Alice Legaspi.

"Hindi po ba kayo manonood sa kanila?" asked Alice. "Director na rin po kayo, 'di ba?"

I smiled at her, putting my hands behind me. "Hello, Alice, may I ask you something?"

She pursed her lips and raised her eyebrows. "Yes?"

"Who killed Uriel Ilagan?"

"Who?"

Genuine confusion.

"Okay, next question. Tell me everything you know about the Mad Hatter's plan."

She blinked. "Po?"

I exhaled to keep my patience. "Please don't play dumb."

"I'm not playing dumb. Nagtataka lang po ako kung bakit n'yo ako tinatanong."

I wrapped an arm around her shoulders and led her away from the others—just far enough that nobody would notice if I ever got slapped or if I ever slapped her. "I'll phrase it in a way you'd understand."

"Ambigat po ng braso n'yo."

"Oh, man up. Somebody's planning to kill your beloved Kuya Kiel on November 6. It could be either your best friend Nicholas or somebody else, and the only way I could keep Futhark away from harm is by solving the Mad Hatter's Death Game. Now I can't head to the police station and the only thing I could do right now is gather information from you. Will you help me?"

"H-Hindi ko po kilala kung sinong pumatay kay Uriel. May mga inuutusan lang si Nicholas para gawin at kausapin 'yong mga may kinalaman."

"Will you ask Nicholas who those are?"

She shook her head. "Kahit best friends kami, hindi ako pwedeng makialam sa org work. May sarili po akong trabaho at malayo ako sa kanilang lahat."

"I don't think you understand, I could rat you out to the police if you didn't cooperate with me."

"I don't think you understand, kahit isumbong n'yo po ako sa police ay wala rin silang gagawin. Kapag sinumbong n'yo po ako sa police, baka ipatumba ka po ng org."

I frowned.

"Pero, Kuya Jule, sigurado po akong hindi sasaktan ni Nicholas si Futhark, hindi rin po s'ya mag-uutos kahit kanino na galawin ang SMS."

"Oh yeah?"

"Importante po kayong tatlo kay Edward. Nicholas would never harm your family. Sinusunod lang po n'ya ang plano ng Mad Hatter."

I removed my arm from her shoulder and crossed them. "Are you saying he's not the Hatter who planned the game?"

Alice smiled. "I'm just saying that there's a lot more to what you see. Kung talaga pong master detective ka, makukuha n'yo rin po 'yong sagot na hinahanap n'yo."

I'm deciding whether to hit her or agree with her.

I sneered. "Well, I'm dating Futhark and you're not." I started walking away.

She turned red, covered her face with her script, and squealed, "Shet, 'yong ship namin ni Al."

I stopped. "I'm sorry what?"

"Wala po, wala po! Alagaan n'yo po si Kuya Kiel, 'wag n'yo pong ipapaagaw sa ibang babae!" She jumped and skipped away to the backstage.

Then I saw Nicholas James, watching us from the dais.

••• FIMBULWINTER •••

"It's not fair that you're the only one with a family."

I treated you as a brother but you made me shoot my own.

Elise and my Da treated you like a son but you turned them against me, their own son.

Lance treated us like his sons, but you turned Arthur against him.

Now I found SMS, I found a new family, and you're trying to destroy them too.

"That's why you kept ruining mine. And now that I found a new one, you want to ruin that too." I walked away to be spared from his presence. "You're pathetic."

Somebody's indeed planning to kill Kiel.

Would Kiel be the last death in the Mad Hatter's Death Game?

Would Kiel be killed before, during, or after the play?

I need to come up with a plan.

I need to talk to Edward Dace and Zweihänder.

6. November.
Saturday, 1 p.m.
Coronado University.
Essex Building.

ESSEX'S THEATRE backstage was busy with everyone preparing and running around. Literature Club members, the actors and actresses, and the Journalism Club crowded the room. Henry wanted to borrow a few students from the Theatre Club to be the make-up artists, but Zweihänder, whose presence everyone did not expect, vouched that Clarent, Excalibur, and Macey could be makeup artists.

Henry assigned the sound system to me so I smartly outsourced the task to Edward, who was actually willing to do so. After yesterday's talk with Zweihänder, Edward hasn't left his laptop and his gadgets alone.

I asked Futhark if he'd help me grab some extra water bottles for the crew and the actors, since he was done with his costume and his face didn't really need much clown paint.

The two of us walked along the dimly lit hallway that led to Mercia building. I checked my phone. It was a mistake giving Zweihänder my number. He already sent me 99+ messages.

May nakuha na akong sub para kay Futhark! Gwapo, pramis!

He's probably talking about himself.

I actually risked a lot when I asked him to find someone to replace Futhark from being Ulfrik. We had to replace Futhark, instead of cancelling the play, to catch Uriel's killer. I was certain he'd be there to spy on Futhark and stalk him, until he finds the best timing to kill him.

Casey sent a message:

Jule. Urgent. May nakita raw na estudyante, Criminology, ilang witness. Ang suspect na hinahanap natin ay Crim student. Hinihintay ko pa results ng forensics.

Criminology student? I didn't see any student in uniform at Essex Theatre. They're probably running late.

I saw the room numbers in the Essex-Mercia passage. 129, 130, 131. The heavy duty padlock grew heavy in my pocket. I clenched my fists.

"Hey, Kiel?" I called, stopping.

"Yes, Jule?" he replied jokingly, fixing his cufflinks. "Ang cute ng pangalan mo. Jule. Tunog mabait. Kapag Joyeuse, parang tunog masungit."

"Are you nervous?"

"A bit, yeah. Nakakakaba 'yong mga manonood at saka baka mautal ako." He gave up twisting his cufflinks and reached his hand out. "Paayos ako nito."

I fixed his cuffs and used my fingers to comb stray strands of hair away from his face. I gave his costume an inspection. One item was out of place—his metal bracelet.

He noticed me staring at his wrist. He clutched the bracelet and spoke, "Hindi naman yata ganoon kapansin-pansin. Hayaan mo na lang."

"What if you wore different coloured gloves instead?" I suggested. "I'll hold on to that while you're upstage. Plus I'll be there, nothing bad can happen."

He looked down, disconcerted.

I started walking. "If I'm not enough reassurance for you, Zweihänder is there too."

He nodded and smiled lightly, following me. "Hindi naman siguro ako mauutal o mapapahiya sa stage."

"You know, there's a legend in Ireland that if you kissed the Blarney Stone, you'd have the power of eloquence and persuasion."

He chuckled. "I don't think I need persuasion. Gusto ko lang namang huwag kabahan."

I shrugged. "If you want luck and confidence, you can kiss me, I'm Irish."

That caught Futhark off-guard and made him lurch forward, almost tripping on his own feet. I grabbed his arm. "Be careful now."

"Why would you say that?" he said, all flushed and barely recovering.

"It's a common phrase. There's a thousand shirts and button pins saying "Kiss me, I'm Irish". They said kissing an Irishman is the closest you'll get to kissing the Blarney Stone."

Futhark was in shambles. "I mean, bakit mo naman iisipin na ano, na—aaahhhh wala, nalito na ako. Don't you think it's too early for that?"

"We've been dating for seven days. This is the second longest relationship I've had. Third if you count that girl I've ghosted for three months. I find it weird that we haven't ki—"

"Because I didn't date you for your kisses or whatever! To be honest, masaya na ako kahit kaibigan mo lang ako, as long as hindi mo ako iiwan."

He didn't want to go to Norway because he didn't want me to leave his side.

He smiled fondly and ruffled my hair. "Alam kong iba ang meron tayo sa nakasanayan mo, so I hope hindi ka manibago." He looked around before he hugged me tightly. "And I just want to say thank you for being there, for being my reality. You're doing great."

I hugged back, taking the moment to decide. Room 142 is behind us. I could easily...

I'm sorry, Kiel.

I gently pushed him away. "Follow me," I said, grabbing his hand and pulling him inside the storage room.

"Bakit?" he asked, suspicious. "Anong meron dito?"

I held his shoulders and look at him in the eye—which was tricky since it was dark.

"Joyeuse, bumalik na tayo sa theatre, mas kinakabahan ako sa 'yo."

"Please know that I'm only doing this because I don't want the Mad Hatter to win and I don't want to put you in danger."

"What?"

I cupped his head and kissed him. He let out a whimper, and the moment I was sure he had his guard down, I shoved him further into the room. He yelped and fell on his rear, and I took the chance to run outside, slam the door, and use the padlock I bought to lock him in.

Futhark started knocking and yelling. "Jo?! Bakit?! Joyeuse! Anong nangyayari? Bakit?!"

"I'm sorry!" I yelled back. "This is the easiest way to keep you safe!"

"Paano 'yong play?! Joyeuse!"

"We have the play covered. I'll come back for you."

"Joyeuse!" He started pounding the door, attempting to ram it down. "Joyeuse," he cried. "Madilim! Jo, nakakatakot dito!"

I touched the cold door. "I'm sorry, Futhark."

He kept hitting the door, thrashing and wailing. "Jo," his voice cracked, sounding desperate and scared, "Joyeuse, natatakot ako dito, Jule. Joyeuse, please! Please 'wag mo akong ikulong! 'Wag mo akong ikulong! Makikinig ako sa 'yo, gagawin ko ang sasabihin mo, 'wag mo akong ikulong!"

Unnecessary Recollection: "Futhark, I'm not going to lock you up alone in some room."

I have to catch the killer with due haste.

"Bakit mo gagawin sa 'kin 'to? I thought you love me too?"

I walked away, frowning bitterly at the door. Then I heard Futhark scream in fear and I froze. He screamed again, as if there was a monster in the room. He kept screaming and banging the door.

A second later, Futhark's attacks against the door stopped. I went closer.

"Please don't hurt me," I heard him plead. Then I heard him cough and splutter before he shrieked and screamed, "Please, 'wag n'yo akong sasaktan, wala akong ginagawa!"

I covered my ears and willed myself to run towards the theatre.

He's safe in that room.

It literally has nothing he could use to hurt himself.

Nobody can hear him, since that passage from Mercia and Essex was barely used.

He could be hallucinating.

He could hate me.

But I'll come back, I just need to keep him away until I'm sure it's safe.

I could ask Zweihänder to—no, Zweihänder's busy.

I could ask Arthur for hel—no.

I'll call Casey for backup. We'd need police force.

The killer.

I need to know who the killer is.

I betrayed Futhark's trust.

He probably hates me now.

He hates me.

No, I'll explain everything to him when I come back.

He'll understand, he understands me better than anyone.

I betrayed the person who understands me most.

I could still hear his screams.

Hearing his screams in my head is making my chest feel tight.

"JOYEUSE!"

REALITY.

Macey slapped the back of my head. Hard. I staggered, almost missing my footing. She grabbed me by the shoulders and sat me down on a theatre hall chair.

"Anong nangyari sa 'yo, bakit aligaga ka?" she asked. She used a poster from the play to fan me and she handed me a water bottle. "Pawis na pawis ka pa, saan ka galing? Hinahanap ka ni Sir Henry, nagsisimula na 'yong pla—"

"Macey, no offence meant but please shut up," I said. I took the water bottle and downed it all at once. I didn't realise my mouth was dry until I've drank water.

I need to look for the killer.

The killer was a Criminology student.

Only a few students wore their uniform.

Some Criminology students acted as ushers.

"Mahanap na nga lang si Adrian."

I need to ask Excalibur to-

Excalibur's name starts with an E.

"Macey, where's Excalibur?" I asked, barely snapping out of my thoughts. "Macey?"

I looked around. The hall was dark and I couldn't find Macey around. When my hearing was attuned with my surroundings once again, I heard soft piano playing.

The play was starting.

Futhark's screams were still ringing in my ear. It's kind of hard to concentrate.

My chest hurt.

I decided to focus on the play, wondering how Zweihänder pulled it off without Kiel.

I was timing the music, waiting for the red curtains to open and expecting Alice to speak her lines. Instead we all heard a very audible squeak from the stage, followed by a defiant "No!", then the curtains finally opening. The fog machine activated, but the stage was empty.

Then somebody threw Nicholas James into the spot where Alice was supposed to "wake up".

Nicholas James?

Nicholas wore a cerulean ball gown with a halter neck strap and a sweetheart neckline traced with blue plastic roses. His hair was adorned with a glittery headband that gave him a pixie haircut look.

What is Nicholas James doing there?

Why would Nicholas agree to replace Alice?

Who in their right mind would let Nicholas act as Alice?

Is this the best you can do, Zweihänder?

"Oh dear." Nicholas swallowed, shaking as he paced the stage.

The audience were confused at the turn of events.

"Look, I know I don't belong here," said Nicholas, with small, breathy chuckles. However real that sounded, that was indeed the script. "Do I deserve Valhalla? The hall of the honorable slain warriors?" He laughed for ten good seconds before he stomped his foot (I heard a sharp clicking sound, Nicholas is definitely wearing heels) and raised his hands.

"You bet your sweet arse (ad libbed) I don't. Let me tell you the story of my death."

After the audience's laughter, the music for Margarethe's narration played. I stood and stretched my neck to see if Edward's in the sound system room, but at least five people hissed at me to sit back down.

The backdrop literally dropped from the ceiling with a loud thud.

If this becomes a disaster I am going to mock and gloat at everyone.

Fog enveloped the stage once again. I heard Nicholas coughing and cursing.

The fog thinned and revealed Laevateinn standing in front of Nicholas, smirking smugly.

Laevateinn came back.

It felt like something squeezed my heart. Futhark's screams ringing in my ear or the relief of seeing that Laevateinn came back, I don't know.

The audience gasped. Their stunned silence made it seem like Laevateinn took everyone's breath away.

I have perceived Laevateinn a glorious king and royalty even in his casual, scruffy clothes, and now that he wore a prince's garb, one could only be truly enamored of his majesty. Also, maybe because this time someone actually took time to style his hair and brush it up.

"Ah, of all the beautiful things I could stumbled upon tonight," spoke Laevateinn. The slight monotony did not stop Laevateinn's voice from being charming.

The audience could not resist commenting.

"Sino 'yang lalaki?"

"Hala, ang gwapo."

"S'ya 'yong sa Seven-Minute Semblance, 'di ba?"

"Oo 'yong sa Twitter."

Nicholas forced a smile and followed the blockings, meeting Laevateinn halfway the stage.

Laevateinn smiled at him, which caused the audience to visibly swoon. "I managed to stumble upon your..." Laevateinn paused, his face reverting back to its usual blankness, "...ugly face."

Sweet suffering Jehova.

"Excuuuuse me?" Nicholas snapped his fingers. "This face strikes fear in the hearts of even the bravest warriors!"

Laevateinn stared at him, unamused, before he retorted, "What, did they think you're an ugly, foul-smelling beast?"

Nicholas frowned, his pout prominent because of his rosy lipstick.

Laevateinn mocked him more. "Want me to walk you home to yer mammie, little girl?"

I immediately called Edward Dace.

"Hello?" I recognised the voice as Helix Error's.

"Error? Are you with Edward Dace?"

"Yes. We're in the control room. I'm helping Edward render some program."

"Render? What are you doing? And how did you get past security?"

"A person called Sir Henry let me in. He was really polite, I only had to say Edward's name and he let me in and then he ran off somewhere."

"We'll talk about that later. Give the phone to Edward."

Edward took the phone. "Yo, drama queen, 'sup?"

"Nicholas and Laevateinn are ruining the play. Make an intervention."

"Oh, that. Right. Error hit the lights."

All the lights went out, leaving the audience and possibly even the entire Literature Club befuddled.

Amidst the darkness we heard Edward's voice:

"Be careful of your words, little lady."

The lights were on again. Nicholas looked around, acting bewildered. Laevateinn just nonchalantly ate an apple.

"Who are you?" asked Nicholas, stepping forward. Edward remained unseen like some exasperating force of nature.

"I'm your fairy godmother, you little bitch," said Edward in his sweetest tone.

My hand flew to my forehead. My internal screaming cancelled out Futhark's screams in my head.

"You're my... you're my fairy godmother?" Nicholas blinked and pursed his lips. He could be internally screaming too, for all I knew.

"Yes, and she's tiny, like a fairy," said Laevateinn, bluntly.

"You don't anger the fairy godmother, now, now."

Thunder clapped. Edward's controlling the entire play now.

"But why introduce yourself to us?" asked Nicholas. "I'm not going to sneak into a party and leave a shoe!"

Laevateinn reached out the half-eaten apple to Nicholas. "Maybe you're gonna eat an apple and die."

Nicholas stepped away from Laevateinn, terrified.

"Now let's not rip off the Grimm Brothers," said Edward. "Margarethe, sweetheart, you're standing beside your soulmate, Ulfrik."

Nicholas groaned. "You sure this is the right Ulfrik? There must be another Ulfrik because this one's mean and scary."

"No that's the one right there, sister."

"Which god or goddess do I need to kill to release me from this fate?"

"You can kill your soulmate," suggested Laevateinn, drawing his sword. "Or your soulmate can kill you."

Nicholas leapt the length of the stage, screaming. "You threw me here and now you want to kill me!"

"I'm not going to kill you..." Laevateinn ran his fingertips along the flat of his blade. "I'm just going to play a little game of tag and then we'll have tea."

"F-Fairy godmother, don't you have anything useful to give me?" called Nicholas. Laevateinn approached him slowly, enjoying the terror in the poor boy's face. "Perhaps a magical fog so I can skedaddle back to the backstage or maybe back to England?"

"I can, but," Edward laughed, "I am having so much fun watching you shit yourself. I mean oh, no, my niece Margarethe, don't worry I am sending a goddess to touch Ulfrik's heart."

Aislinn fell from the ceiling, when she was supposed to gracefully descend from a swing of flowers. Laevateinn caught her in his arms. Aislinn's makeup foundation proved ineffective to conceal how red she turned upon being face-to-face with a Laevateinn.

Laevateinn gently set her down but Aislinn kept staring at him in awe.

Nicholas poked Aislinn's shoulder awkwardly. "Hello, Freyja, goddess of love and beauty."

"Yes, yes, shhh," said Aislinn, determined to keep staring at Laevateinn.

"Freyja, you're supposed to touch Ulfrik's heart to make him either fall in love or be nice to me."

"Yes, yes, I heard you." Aislinn snapped out of her thoughts and into character. "Oh, Margarethe, I've heard your pleas, your woes and your prayers! I will touch Ulfrik's heart and make him," Aislinn cleared her throat, "and make him mine instead."

The audience gasped.

"Wait what—"

Aislinn put her hand on Nicholas's shoulder. "Girl, he threatened to kill you. That's a red flag in a relationship. Go find someone who will treat you like a queen."

"I will treat her like a queen," said Laevateinn. "Now bring me the guillotine and let's Marie Antoinette this Margarethe."

"But you're my soulmate, aren't you supposed to be in love with me?" Nicholas asked Laevateinn. "I mean, you know, if it's not trouble to follow the bloody script."

"Nope, taking him with me byeee," said Aislinn, clutching Laevateinn's arm and walking away.

Nicholas clung onto Laevateinn's leg. "NO!"

Laevateinn rolled his eyes.

"I'm also the goddess of cats, I will give you all the cats you want!" Aislinn was determined to push Nicholas away.

Nicholas wrapped his arms and legs around Laevateinn's leg. "I dunwanna cat!"

"I am Freyja, powerful Vanir, and I can do what I want!"

"I am the great Margarethe, and bitch, he's mine!"

The hall was filled with the audience's laughter.

Laevateinn raised his hand and whistled loudly. Fenrir leapt from the backstage, followed by a chariot drawn by huskies. The huskies seemed to recognise him as their leader.

Aislinn and Nicholas quickly stepped away from Laevateinn and the dogs. Laevateinn laughed, amused at the two's fear of his giant wolfdog.

Fenrir barked at his husky friends and the dogs marched forward.

So.

The dogs were actually dragging Mistletoe by the foot.

"Mäni!" Aislinn and Nicholas cried. The two of them ran to Mistletoe's aid.

Laevateinn released the dogs from their leashes. Fenrir ran across the theatre, harming no one and stopping for nobody, and led the other dogs towards the exit. Well that was adorable.

Mistletoe stood up, brushed his chiton and glared at Laevateinn. "I wasn't expecting that."

Laevateinn threatened Mistletoe with the prop sword. "Mäni, I see you've come to step between Lady Margarethe and me."

"What?" Mistletoe salvaged what's left of his chariot and props. He held up the crescent moon, decided it was stupid, and threw it away.

Mäni was not scheduled to appear until Ulfrik's death. I wonder how they'll play this.

Aislinn pranced in the middle of the stage, the spotlight illuminating her pearly infinity dress. She opened her arms, announcing, "Listen now, friends, lovers, and Midgard dwellers, today we witness two mortals fighting with the reward of true love!"

"WHAT?!" screeched Mistletoe. He definitely doesn't stand a chance against Laevateinn. He shakily raised a stick to battle.

Laevateinn swung his sword around, circling Mistletoe with a cool smirk on his face. Aislinn and Nicholas stepped back.

"STOP RIGHT THERE!"

Great, add another idiot to the stage.

Zweihänder grasped the other end of Freyja's swing and leapt down, landing in front of Laevateinn and Mistletoe. He wore a knight's costume, a silver rapier attached to his belt.

He drew the rapier, stood in front of Mistletoe, and spoke, "Fear not, Mäni, for I, Zweihänder shall be thy proxy! Pagwapuhan na lang, ano?"

The audience roared with laughter.

Laevateinn scoffed and relaxed, tilting his head to the side. "Accepting defeat even before we could start, Zweihänder?"

The audience cheered. "OOHHHH BUUUURN."

Zweihänder whistled, and the extras rushed to the stage. "Are you ready to fight?" shouted Zweihänder.

"Bring it on, you son of a bitch!" Edward yelled. "Oops. I mean, Ulfrik, my wonderful nephew! Fight for your love!"

Nicholas crinkled his nose and looked up at the ceiling, "I thought I was your niece?"

The extras charged and lunged at Laevateinn, but being the skilful fighter that he was, Laevateinn parried and disarmed all of them in a second. A few actually didn't bother attacking. They were easily defeated by the smug smirk of the very stunts director who trained them.

When the last extra was knocked down to the ground, Zweihänder remained standing. The fog machine was activated once again and the extras took their exit.

Zweihänder and Laevateinn studied each other, waiting for the first attack. Laevateinn did the first thrust, aiming for the hilt of Zweihänder's sword. It didn't do much damage. Zweihänder saw his attack coming.

It didn't occur to me that Zweihänder made a brilliant swordsman.

Laevateinn's eyes narrowed. His face turned more serious, versus Zweihänder's goofy grin. Zweihänder attacked next, slashing at the air with the rapier as a distraction and sweeping Laevateinn's feet off the ground.

Laevateinn backflipped to dodge. The audience gasped in awe.

Their swords connected and clattered, the two of them pressing against each other. They're taking the fight seriously. Zweihänder slashed sideways. Laevateinn blocked the move with his blade.

Several thrusts, parries, backflips, and insults later, Zweihänder disarmed Laevateinn, who fell on his butt. Everyone was both shocked and amazed. They didn't know who to root for, but was satisfied with the fight scene nevertheless.

Zweihänder raised Laevateinn's chin up with the end of his sword and grinned at him. "Ulfrik of the West," he said, breathing hard. "You have gained my respect."

Laevateinn blew his bangs away from his eyes and wiped the sweat off his forehead. Zweihänder returned the rapier back to its strap. "I'll let you go this time," he said, exiting.

Laevateinn puffed his cheeks, whistled, and Fenrir leaped to his service. Laevateinn expressionlessly pointed at the backstage. Fenrir howled and sprinted towards the exit Zweihänder took.

The people backstage screamed, with Zweihänder's voice above them all, saying, "Fenrir, Fenrir, good boy! GOOD BOY! VAL, VAL NASA'N KA—FENRIR GAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!"

Fenrir came back to the stage, biting a pair of torn boxers, which I guess belonged to Zweihänder. Laevateinn smiled, patted Fenrir's head, and said, "You're the best boy."

Nicholas, Aislinn, and Mistletoe didn't know how to react, but Edward simply lost it. He laughed like a lunatic, not even caring if the audience heard him.

Then Laevateinn stood and faced Mistletoe. "Mäni, you who pulls the chariot of the moon."

Mistletoe didn't know what to say. "I-I... I am indeed... that."

Laevateinn picked his sword up. "I will give you five minutes to bring me an apple pie." Fenrir bared his fangs.

Mistletoe squeaked, stiffened, and turned pale. Nicholas ran to Laevateinn's side and clutched his arm. "I think that's enough," he said. "You've proven your love for me, Ulfrik."

Aislinn stepped forward. "Bless this day when true love wins!"

The lights went out again. The audience murmured in anticipation.

A single spotlight shone down on Edward Dace, who stood at the left of the stage. He donned a ringmasters' suit, complete with the red jacket, bow ties, and top hat.

"Lord Walter!" cried Nicholas, struggling to keep in character.

"No that's the guy who wanted to close a goddamn door," said Laevateinn.

The sound system played a rimshot to support Laevateinn's joke. I see Error's now in charge of the sounds and the boy literally worships Laevateinn.

"That's Lord Walter in his... Sunday clothes?" guessed Aislinn.

"All of you shut up, I'm the great Edward Dace," hissed Edward. He took his sweet time walking to the centre of the stage. He turned to the audience. "This is not what you paid for."

Everyone watched him with bated breaths.

"People!" Edward raised his arms like the true obnoxious showman that he was. "Prepare to be awed as the real show starts now!"

The theatre hall darkened and the whir of the fog machine was all we could hear. There was a flicker in the stage, like a laser sparking to life. Then a holographic owl flew across the theatre, exploding into a sparkle of confetti.

The audience was thrilled but they kept quiet. They waited for Edward's brilliance to unfold.

With lasers, LED projectors, and a fog machine working side-by-side, Edward Dace and Helix Error managed to turn Essex's theatre hall into a full holographic cinema. Clips and audio recordings from our rehearsals played, enhanced with additional sound effects and CGI.

"Valhalla will have no choice but to take me back!" Futhark's voice thundered. Then a hologram Futhark ran across the hall, just above our heads, and slashed the darkness with his sword, tearing the void and revealing another holographic world.

The audience gave their first round of applause. They probably could not believe they'd be watching the play in 3D and in hologram.

I myself was stunned. Edward Dace really outdid himself this time. He clearly was a master of technology, media, and arts. So this was what he was doing when he couldn't be separated with his laptop.

I reminded myself to shower him with praise interspersed with bitter insults later on.

"Wala rito 'yong Kiel Alf. Kanina ko pa hinahanap, mukhang wala sa school."

That voice.

That voice.

I stood up, and searched for the owner of the voice. That must be the killer. I got distracted with the play, I forgot about the killer.

"Sige pupunta na ako d'yan."

It was a tall, tan Criminology Student with a military haircut. He was talking to someone on his phone, in his left hand was another phone with Kiel's picture on the screen.

Is Kiel the last death in the game or is someone else plotting to kill him?

You're the reason why I had to lock him up in a storage room.

Your terrorism ends now.

Whilst everyone's attention was on the play, I secretly followed the guy out of the theatre, out of Essex building, out of Coronado University, and into the fields of tall grass and wild cane.

Where is he going?

Is he meeting up with his boss?

I stopped walking. He knew I was following him. He wanted me to follow him.

Then I heard clicking sounds.

"So." The guy revealed himself, pointing a gun at me. He had his phone in his left ear. "The infamous Jule Lewis Uresonderry."

Someone's dictating his words.

"Who are you?" I asked, cautiously. I tapped the Midterm Project lightly, recording. Then I tapped it some more.

The nearest person would be more than a hundred metres away from me.

I can't run, he'll easily outrun me.

The guy looked actually angry, like he was being used against his will. This was a classic Nicholas move. He agreed to act onstage so he'd have an alibi when one of his men executed the murder.

"Are you the one behind the Mad Hatter's Death Game?" I asked again.

The guy took a moment to reply. "No. I'm the one ending the Mad Hatter's silly game of tag."

I raised an eyebrow. "You're the one who sent me the message last Sunday. You used Kiel's name to lure me here. You made it look like Futhark was the real target when in fact..."

"My real target's you."

The Mad Hatter's game did spell out my name, that's a given.

The guy spoke, "I'm the one who handles the pawns of the Mad Hatter. This guy whose voice I'm borrowing? He's the dumdum who killed Uriel Ilagan. He's supposed to commit suicide at the theatre but I figured... if the Mad Hatter has planned everything for you, then it means..." The guy paused.

"Planned everything for me? Then it means what?"

He glared at me.

"Tell me what it means!" I yelled.

"SANDALE, CHOPPY!" the guy barked.

I sighed exasperatedly and pinched the bridge of my nose. I almost forgot the real enemy's only talking through a phone.

"Then it means the only way to stop this madness is by killing you, Jule Lewis Uresonderry."

Someone's against the Mad Hatter's plans?

Someone took matters into their own hands?

I crossed my arms. "How so?"

Can I kick the gun and wrestle him?

No, he's too tall and muscular.

Are there any chances someone could hear me if I yelled help?

If I screamed?

If I screamed the same way Futhark did when I locked him in that room?

I need to go back for him, I need to let him out, it's safe, he's safe, he's not the target.

He must be so scared.

Maybe I could call Laevateinn and Edward to pick Futhark up.

How ironic that I told the three of them to always stick together when I became the reason why we're all on our own today.

What if miraculously, Lance arrived and saved me?

Or maybe Arthur will save me.

"... and nobody will know, everyone will live in peace."

REALITY.

"I'm sorry I zoned out, what were you saying?" I asked.

Maybe if I called Casey, she could trace where the person in the other line is.

The guy went on, "It was supposed to end quietly, with you finding out later. Like an unsolved mystery."

But who would oppose Nicholas James?

Was he from Wonderland too?

Was it... Was it Time?

Recollection: Nicholas in a phone call saying, "She did? Why would Time interfere?"

Time.

"Are you Time?" I asked, attempting to prolong the conversation to buy me some time. I actually didn't realise the other guy was still talking.

I'm sorry for ignoring your monologue, villain, it was getting boring.

"It's funny how you think I'm Time."

In Alice in Wonderland, the Mad Hatter murdered Time. Could it be possible that there's someone from the Wonderland Org who was actually against Nicholas James?

My phone rang. The guy and I locked eyes.

"Can I... Can I answer this?" I ventured.

"One mention of where we are and I'll shoot you. Take that last phone call."

Who could my last phone call be?

Casey.

How nice. "Hello, Casey."

"Jule? Adrian Hermosa ang pangalan ng suspect. Kilala mo ba?"

Macey's boyfriend?

"Oh I know him, alright." I fixated my eyes on Adrian and his gun. "But you see, Casey, there's something more important that I need you to do the moment you arrive at Coronado University."

Adrian took several steps forward, until the gun was a metre away from my head.

"I locked Futhark up in a storage room at Mercia Building. It's Room 142. I used a padlock so bring whatever you need to break that lock."

"Why can't you just give me the key? And why did you lock Futhark up?"

"I can't tell you at the moment, I'm... I'm quite busy. I'll talk to you again, love, bye." I then added, "Oh, and please tell Futhark I'm really sorry. That'd be the last time I'm bullying him."

"Last time you're bullying him? Bakit tunog nagpapaalam ka? Where are you?"

I ended the call.

"Will you still be alive after this?" I asked Adrian.

He didn't reply.

"Will you turn yourself in after you kill me? Or will you commit suicide?"

Still, no replies.

"It doesn't look good for the both of us. You kill me, you're dead. You don't kill me, you're dead." I smirked at him. "It sucks when a situation leaves you no choice, right?"

I finally tapped the Midterm Project, sending the recording, together with my location, to Edward Dace. Three seconds later, Adrian's phone emitted a loud, ringing sound, making Adrian flinch and lose focus. He threw the phone away from his ear.

Edward Dace successfully hacked into the bastard's phone!

I charged and kicked the gun away from Adrian. The gun flew away from us, disappearing in the sea of dead weeds.

I thought Adrian would put up a fight, but instead he said in a horrified tone, "Mali 'yong ginawa n'yo."

"Why?" I stepped away from him, getting ready to run.

"Bantay-sarado tayo ng mga tauhan nila, alam nila kung—"

BANG!

Somebody shot Adrian in the chest. He fell down, and I knew I ought to run. Instead I searched the surroundings for the phone Adrian threw.

"P-Pakisabi kay Edward Dace ingatan si Macey," gasped Adrian. "Hindi lang sinasabi ni M-Macey pero alam kong mas g—"

"Please die quietly," I muttered, tuning him out. I found the phone above a patch of mimosa plant and scuttled out of the scene. I was expecting gunshots trailing across the field, following me, but there was none.

Still, I could not risk slowing down.

I hurled myself behind two boulders to catch my breath. My vision blurred and my stomach was fighting to do a somersault. I just need a few seconds to catch my breath. I'm a hundred metres away from Coronado University.

A message flashed across the Midterm Project.

Laevateinn's on his way.

"Grand," I muttered, panting and wheezing. I coughed and slipped Adrian's phone in my pocket.

I took the risk and closed my eyes for a few seconds.

"It's funny," said a voice coming from my left. "Because I promised Lance I'd protect you too."

Arthur Lukas.

Arthur Lukas.

I gasped, jumped, and fell on the ground. My eyes were wide. White words flew around me like white noise.

"I saw the Hatter's plan, Jule," said Arthur bitterly, with a woeful expression. He gazed down at the gun in his hand. "I remembered everything."

"Arthur," I croaked. "Were you the one who shot Adrian? Were you the one talking to me?"

"I was. Nicholas gave me orders, he told me how he wanted the deaths to be. I chose the murderers, I chose the victims. I chose the participants in the Mad Hatter's Death Game."

So that's why the first death occurred with Lance around.

"I sent you and Nicholas the death threats, I paid a guy to meet up with you. I used Futhark because I knew he was special to you. I lured you here to end this madness."

Nicholas was telling the truth.

"End this madness?"

"The only way I could stop the Mad Hatter's plans, the only way I could stop chaos in the future, the only way I could save more lives... is this." He cocked his gun.

"If you saw the plan then you can team up with us and we'll stop it altogether. It's not that hard, Arthur."

He smiled. "It sucks when a situation leaves you no choice, right?"

"But you have a choice."

"I respectfully disagree. Choice is a luxury I don't have. This world has been nothing but cruel to me. Now when I fought back, and when I decided I didn't want to be hurt anymore? What happened? Suddenly, I'm the bad guy. Suddenly, Lance left."

I slowly crawled back, maintaining eye contact. "Lance left because he thought he could trust you. He thought you're his reality and then one day you locked him up alone. You betrayed his trust."

He shook his head ruefully. His voice was hoarse. "I know," he said in a whisper.

"Let's talk about this, Arthur." I raised my hands calmly. "You don't want to kill me, you know the consequences."

"At this point in my life," he raised his gun, aiming at my chest, "I don't care anymore. Goodbye, Jule... I hope you're not scared of dying alone... because I am."

I'm not scared of dying alone.

I'm scared of...

I don't know what I'm scared of.

I still don't know what I'm feeling.

Am I scared right now?

I don't want to die, but I'm not scared of dying either.

I thought facing Death in the eye would make me feel emotions I've never felt before.

It's disappointing that I've lived a life of confusion and unknown feelings.

Disappointment. That's what I'm feeling.

Arthur Lukas fired his gun. The force sent me sprawling across the grass. My head hit a rock and my vision went white. The last thing I saw was the merigold afternoon sky.

Beautiful.

It's a lazy Earl Grey flavoured afternoon and I guess... I guess I'm dying.

•••

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.9M 347K 53
The adventures of the QED Club continue as the Moriarty mystery thickens. Looking for VOLUME 1? Read it here: https://www.wattpad.com/story/55259614...
55.6K 5.3K 48
Neverwoods never die... "Entertain me, human!" Evarius Neverwood can play many roles: a deadly joker, a cunning masochist, or a secretive mind-reader...
626 88 8
As more desastres starts turning up wrecking havoc in the dark forest guarded by the seven overseers, Oryol, the half-serpent ruler of Ibalong, at la...
131K 8.3K 71
2018 WATTY AWARDS WINNER (THE HEROES) (Stay Awake #2) After finding out that most of humanity had fallen into a deep sleep, Jared Caparas went online...