What The Heart Knows

By lforlnleverl

He was Lindon Matron, King of Cross Bridge. She was Bella North-Haven Windsor, Princess of Terabithia. She wa... More

0.0
1.0
2.0
3.0
4.0
5.0
6.0
7.0
8.0
9.0
10.0
11.0
12.0
13.0
14.0
15.0
17.0
18.0
19.0
Epilogue
Other Novels

16.0

134 7 2
By lforlnleverl

Bella

"What are you thinking about?" Lindon asked, taking a seat next to me on the bench near the hospital.

It had been half an hour since I left the place, and half an hour since Lindon had texted me asking if everything was alright.

I was curious to know why Lindon never asked me more about how he had my number. All he knew was that it was there since the day of the club incident, and nothing more. He probably thought he had said something to make me give him my number. But, the truth was I had put it in myself.

I shrugged my shoulders, my thoughts going back to the phone call with my mom.

There was a part of me, somewhere deep down that was restless. Whenever I thought of my parents I couldn't help but feel something strange. I wasn't happy, no matter how much I told myself I could do fine without them, just like I had been doing for years now. I wanted to be close to them, to be able to have normal conversations with them whenever I desired, but at the same time I was angry with them.

And now mother thought trying to call me and ask how everything was going, would be able to fix everything that had happened in the past.

"Is everything alright now?" I asked Lindon instead, hoping he would catch on to the fact that I did not want to talk about what had went on the phone between my mother and I. "I hope it wasn't rude of me to just suddenly leave without offering my condolence to Maya."

Lindon stared at me for a brief moment, then shook his head, as if to let me know it was alright.

"He's doing much better now. Soon he will be out of the hospital and sent to his new home I've told Terry to arrange for them," he explained, clasping his hands together in front of him.

"Very well, then," I said in response. "We should get going now, shall we not?"

Lindon nodded, then stood up. He paused for a moment, glancing back at me. "You're okay, right?"

I attempted a smile at his concern, yet it probably seemed like a grimace to him. "Yeah, thanks for asking."

"Good, oh and please stop talking like that. You sound too formal."

For a moment I actually smiled as he walked away, expecting me to follow.

•>•<•>•<•>•<•>•<•>•<•

"Before you go to sleep," Lindon started, both of us stopped in front of the room he had said was mine.

I nodded for him to continue. He seemed nervous with the way he fiddled with his fingers, then rubbed the back of his neck with his hand.

"There's something I want to give you," he explained, unsure of my response.

I raised an eyebrow, "What is it?"

"Wait here, and I'll go get it," he said, running away before I had the chance to respond.

A feeling of giddiness rose inside of me at the thought of receiving a gift from him. I liked how he was slowly changing, and really starting to become more relaxed around me.

As I stood there trying to get a control of my excitement, Lindon returned, his hands behind his back.

"I didn't give you anything on our wedding day and so-" he started, seeming unsure. "I just- I don't know. When I saw this I thought of you, and-"

I chuckled, "You always seem so nervous whenever you try explaining your reasonings to me. Am I that scary?"

He shook his head, a small smile playing on his lips. "What can I say, your reactions make me nervous. Not knowing how you'll react makes me feel uncomfortable."

Oh really?

I crossed my arms across my chest, leaning against the door frame. "Let me see what you've got me. And even if I don't like it, I'll keep it. At least you got me something, I didn't get you anything. Unless you want a kiss?"

Lindon blushed, his face suddenly making him look younger than he really was. Sometimes he really made me swoon.

"On the cheek of course," I added, with a wink.

I didn't know what had gotten into me, but I felt as though this was better than sitting around all day and crying over my problems.

"Just take this," he said, quickly pushing a velvet box into my hands.

I opened up the box, my eyes widening in surprise at the object inside. It was a pear-shaped diamond necklace, sparkling under the lights in the hall.

"Wow, this is very beautiful, Lindon. Thank you so much," I thanked him sincerely, a wide grin taking over my features. 

"You really like it?" He asked, uncertainty etched on his face.

I nodded like an excited child, "Yes, this is amazing! Thank you!"

I would've liked it even if it wasn't nice, because the thought that he cared enough to buy something mattered more to me than anything else.

After he had left that night, and I was in my bed, hugging my blanket to my chest, I fell asleep with a smile on my face.

Because for the first time in years it seemed as if someone really did care about me.

•>•<•>•<•>•<•>•<•

Breakfast was already waiting for me at the table when I arrived downstairs the next morning. It was a table for four, with toasts, different types of spreadings, eggs, fruits, croissants, crepes and cupcakes placed on it. And to think all this was only for the two of us. I took a seat across Lindon, making my presence knowing.

I felt as if things between us had somewhat changed after yesterday. In a better way. I decided I would keep that locket very close to my heart, after all it was the first gift he had ever given me.

"Morning," I said, biting into the croissant on my plate. The chocolate gushed out, still warm and gooey. "How long have you been sitting here for?"

Lindon looked up from the paper he was reading, nodding, "Good morning, I just got here a few minutes before you. I thought I would wait for you to arrive before I started eating."

He was waiting for me.

"There's been a change of plans for today. We've been invited to attend this award ceremony held for workers of the companies in Lethbridge. They really wanted us to come when they realized we were in Lethbridge. Also some of my workers have been nominated and they would love for us to come," he explained, placing a piece of toast in his mouth.

After chewing it, he added, "So be ready at six."

"Alright." All I seemed to do nowadays is attend parties.

"A cupcake for breakfast?" I asked Lindon, lifting the white and blue iced cupcake from my plate.

"All this food was set up for us from one of the best breakfast places in the city, " he told me, grabbing his own. "You should try the cupcake, it's really good."

I took a bite of my cupcake, the icing leaving a weird taste in my mouth. I took another bite just to make sure I had tasted it right.

This was from one of the best shops in this city?

Well that was a shame.

The cupcake alone tasted really good, but the icing tasted almost like mint flavoured toothpaste. And it was gross.

"Do you like it?" He questioned expectantly, as though he was the one who made it.

"I don't think so," I stated, furrowing my eyebrows in confusion at the cupcake.

I grabbed another cupcake from the stand in front of me, tasting the pink icing. It tasted perfectly fine, and nothing like the one on the cupcake on my plate.

Lindon burst out laughing, surprising me. I sat there confused of the sudden laughter, and also surprised at hearing his laughter for the first time in years.

"What's so funny?" I asked.

"I'm sorry," he said, recomposing himself. "The cupcake- I was just kidding with you. I wiped off the frosting, and instead replaced it with toothpaste. Your face was priceless, Bella."

My heart fluttered a bit when he said my name, his others words ignored for a moment. This was the first time I heard him say only my name, and not Princess Bella.

"Seriously? I was so confused of why it tasted like toothpaste," I laughed along with him. "I never expected something like that from you."

He rubbed the back of his neck, smiling. "I was bored, and I was talking to Angel before you came. From her I remembered the way she would always prank me like that, so I decided to try it on you. Plus it was worth it."

"Really?" I smiled, liking the way he smiled. It was really adorable.

He nodded, chuckling, "It was getting hard to hold in my laughter after looking at your conflicted face. It was cute."

And in that moment I decided I wouldn't mind for this to last forever. Just him and I, laughing at a childish prank he had pulled.

•>•<•>•<•>•<•>•<•>•<•

I tapped my fingers against the table, looking around the hotel we were in. It was a private party, held in a cultivated area. Some people invited seem to think of them as too highly, walking around as if they owned the whole world. Others were nice and respectful, proud of what they had but not arrogant.

I was happy for the people receiving the awards, but that didn't mean I wouldn't get bored. I mean neither Lindon or I were getting an award, so how would it really make a difference to me?

Lindon seemed to notice my happiness when the last name was announced, a small chuckle escaping his lips.

I ate a piece of the appetizer they had provided us before the main meal, innocently shrugging at Lindon.

He smiled, pressing his fingers against his temples.

"Everything alright?" I whispered.

He nodded, "Yea, it's all fine. I've just got a headache, and a sore throat. I'll be fine."

I offered him some water, which was not needed because he had a full glass in front of him. Yet he still took mine.

"We should go home then, and you could take some medicines. If it gets worse, tomorrow we could go to the doctor."

"It's alright I'll be fine. Are you sure you don't want us to go home just because you're bored?"

I bit the inside of my cheek to stop myself from smiling. "I was only thinking about you, Lindon."

"Alright, we could leave after this person is done talking."

"I'll just be back from the washroom," I spoke, quickly getting up and leaving, making sure not to disturb anyone.

On my way back from the washroom, I stopped in my tracks staring at the table Lindon was sat at. A young woman, sat on Lindon's lap, his face resembling one of a furious red tomato.

I couldn't hear what they were saying, but as I got closer I was pretty sure everyone was suddenly able to hear them.

"Get off of me," he said, pushing the young woman away. He got up from his seat, his chair toppling over.

Everyone's eyes were on the two, most of them staring in confusion. Lindon's guards stood up behind him, some of them coming forward to take the woman away.

"I'm married alright? And I'll never do that to her," he shouted, his face red with fury. Without noticing me there, he stormed out the building, the guards about to follow when I stopped them.

"Stay here," I told them. "I'll go check on him."

It wasn't hard to guess what could've probably happened, but Lindon's reaction seemed to be a bit too much. I glared at the woman on my way out, who looked down in shame, silently walking away.

I was graced with droplets of water falling on me, when I stepped into the open area searching for Lindon. People around me ran for cover and umbrellas were opened as the clouds spat out their beads of water. Puddles began plinking as the rainfall became heavier.

At last I caught sight of Lindon, who was walking carelessly on the middle of the road, his eyes on the ground.

"Lindon," I called out, running towards him.

He stopped, then turned to me, running a hand through his wet hair. He shook his head, then bit his lip, as if it was all too much for him.

"Is everything alright with you?"

"I'm not a cheater, Bella," he whispered, cupping my cheeks in his hands. The action coming as a surprise to me. "I'm not."

His words were pained, repeated over and over again, as though if he didn't say it repeatedly I wouldn't believe him. Yet, that wasn't true. Because deep down I knew he would never do that to me. It didn't matter if he didn't love me, however I was his wife, and he would respect that very fact.

"It's alright, Lindon, I know you didn't do anything."

"I know the way I reacted was over the top, but I couldn't help it. The way the lady talked to me, as though I was some desperate man even though I told her I was married. It reminded me of my mother. She killed herself because my father never loved her. He was always after her money, always thinking about the power he would earn after marrying her. She gave him her everything, but he threw it all away. I hate him, Bella, I hate him so much. My sister doesn't have a mother today because of that man. She doesn't know what it's like to have someone to call mom, to have someone to love you like a mom would. She desires to be like any other girl in this world with a mom. But she can never have that, because he took away my mother," he cried, and for the first time I saw him break apart, and I really saw him as a young man who was hurt.

I stood there in shock, realizing the real reason why his mom died, and why Lindon and Xenia never talked to their father.

At least my parents loved each other.

He fall on his knees, his own tears mixed with the rain. He furiously rubbed his face, as if that would help to get rid of what he was feeling.

I crouched down to his level, running a hand through Lindon's hair, as I made him face me.

Just this morning we were laughing about the cupcake prank Lindon pulled on me. And now here we were in the rain, with Lindon sharing a painful experience with me.

"I know you're not a cheater, Lindon," I said to him, very slowly, to let him comprehend my words.

"I don't want to hurt you, Bella. I try my best to just stay away from you, but I'm tired of forcing you away. But, trust me even after everything I have ever said to you, if there's one thing I'll never do it is that I won't cheat on you," he said, as I caressed his cheek.

"I know, Lindon. I believe you."

Water dripped down from his face, some droplets falling onto mine, our faces inches apart, just like they had been yesterday in the hospital. However, this time it was different. I didn't pull away neither did he, and we both seemed to be leaning in.

My heart drummed loudly against my chest, making me feel as if it would pop out any second.

Were we about to kiss?

He would be my first kiss, would I be his?

Most importantly would this really be right?

Just when our lips were about to make contact my eyes caught sight of a sign. Carnival Opening Soon it read, reminding me of that one thing I would rather forget. Serenity and the fire.

I couldn't. No.

I pulled away from Lindon as though he would burn me, repeatedly shaking my head.

"This is not right," I muttered, confusion and hurt crossing his features.

Yet, as soon as it had appeared it was gone, replaced by his famous poker face, leaving his emotions a mystery.

But, no matter what he did, I had already seen it. And how could one possibly hide the emotions in their eyes? It was all there for me to read.

"You will get sick, Lindon, let's go back to the penthouse," I spoke, averting any eye contact with him.

He nodded, seeming to recover from the earlier events, "You go home with the guards, I'll be back later in a bit. I need to do something."

He turned to walk away from me, causing regret to build up inside of me.

Why was he acting like that? Wasn't he the one who always told me I was a replacement?

"I'm sorry, Lindon," I mumbled, loud enough for him to hear.

He shook his head, not looking my way. "No, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have poured my feelings onto you like that in a moment of weakness."

I pulled my hair in frustration after he had disappeared from my sight, staring up at the tar-black sky.

"Why?" I yelled at nothing in particular. "Why does this always happen to me?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

679K 17K 18
βπ‘«π’Šπ’‡π’‡π’Šπ’„π’–π’π’• 𝒓𝒐𝒂𝒅𝒔 𝒍𝒆𝒂𝒅 𝒕𝒐 π’ƒπ’†π’‚π’–π’•π’Šπ’‡π’–π’ π’…π’†π’”π’•π’Šπ’π’‚π’•π’Šπ’π’π’”.- #π’Šπ’π’”π’‘π’Šπ’“π’‚π’•π’Šπ’π’βž ~ Isabella is working as a maid i...
228 16 10
After losing his fiancΓ©, Thomas has to go through one of the hardest things a person can ever face; the death of a loved one. He is torn to threads...
5K 112 9
Long ago there were three Princes born they all were brothers that loved each other until there father died. They were so close but when tbat happene...
5.8K 466 12
*Completed October 26, 2019* This story was started by GraceMadden1234 and finished by me with her guidance. Please read Nefarious and the first par...