Forgetting Charlotte

By Nika_Yaya

When Charlottes fiancé unexpectedly walks out of her life, she struggles to pick up the pieces. While trying... More

Pitch
The End (Prologue)
The spot on the ceiling
Out of bed
Work and the new girl
The Vomiting
Coming to a realization
Slightly awkward
His best friend David
David meet Skirt
the new, better magazine
Lucky's Grill
It's been nice
Friends with the Devil
A little bit randy
Blue the humongous stuffed bear
The Spies
The first casualty
Michael the father
The 34th week
The Article
The other email
A little labor, a little epidural, and a lot of truth
Welcome Andrew Boyd

The Ultrasound

28.7K 543 13
By Nika_Yaya

This chapter is for Crazyreader91

Becuase every writer hopes they create a character that is truly appreciated by at least one reader

****************************************************************************************************

Chapter Thirteen: The ultrasound

            “It’s really nippy in here isn’t it?”

            “Uh huh.”

            “I’m freezing my blooming knickers off.”

            “We get it Jolene.”

            “I mean I can see your nubbies it’s so cold.”

            “Stop Jolene.”

            “It’s like your gigantic boobies are standing at attention, saluting all of the other mums in here.”

            “That’s enough Jolene!” I tossed down the magazine I was reading and walked over to the receptionist area. I looked over the tall counter just as Susie’s humongous eyes popped up at me.

            “Are you excited Ms. Boyd? Are you going to find out the sex of the baby?” she flashed all her teeth at me at once. “I see you brought lots of support.”

            Susie’s mirror size eyeballs turned in the direction of my now discarded magazine, where my mother, Jolene, and David all sat in silence. Well everyone but Jolene.

            “I haven’t really decided yet, do you know when they are going to call us in?” I was getting anxious sitting in the room avoiding the questions that lingered around us.

            I had made Jolene swear she wouldn’t quiz David on Alicia, my mom had promised not to ask David about my ex-fiancé and I had secretly promised myself not to ask David about anything.

            “Oh, let me see, can’t have our favorite single mommy waiting, can we?” I cringed as she sing songed the words and skipped behind the doors to check on the doctor.

I turned around and walked right into David.

            “What’s wrong Charlie?” I could tell by the look on David’s face that he had heard what the receptionist had said.

            I flushed with embarrassment as I tried to mutter a response. “I asked what was taking the doctor so long. The receptionist went to check.” I walked past him back to where my mother was seated and plopped myself down next to her.

            “You okay Charlotte?” It was comforting to hear my birth name without the hint of venom that accompanied it lately.

            “I’m okay mom, just tired.” I sighed and rested my head on my mother’s shoulder.

“I know sweetheart. It will all be over soon. Trust me, it’s all worth it.” I looked up at my mom’s kind honey colored eyes.

            My father and mother hadn’t even gotten upset when I called and told them. I was prepared for disappointment or a lecture on responsibility, but both my parents just offered themselves. My mother said she would come out as soon as she could and my father said they would help me with whatever I needed financially.

             Now sitting here, seeing the control I had lost over my life, my mother stood by me, and I couldn’t be more grateful. I reached out and pulled my mother close to me, hugging her tight.

            “What was that for?” she asked, returning my hug.

            “I just hope I’m half the mother you are mom.” I giggled at my mother as she blushed.

            “Oi! Look at David hitting on Blondie over there.” Jolene’s voice broke the moment with my mom and I turned in the direction of the receptionist’s desk.

            We couldn’t hear the conversation but from where we seated it did look like David was hitting on Susie. He was leaning far over the counter and suddenly we heard Susie squeal, jumping up from her seat while loudly clapping her hands. She had a grin from ear to ear as she motioned for him to follow her. David turned and met our stares, calling us over to them.

David held the door as Jolene ran up ahead matching Susie squeal for squeal. My mother followed close behind shushing them as they walked through the long corridor.  I walked behind with David as he let the door swing close behind us.

            “Were you hitting on the perky little receptionist David?” Secretly hoping this meant Alicia was out of the picture.

            “No, I was informing her.” He answered with a slight smile.

            “Informing her of what?” I watched the rest of the group turn into the last room at the end of the hall.

            “That I was the man in your life.” His face went into a mock expression of me, as I stood stunned for a moment.

            “Why would you do that David?” I asked in shock.

            “So she would stop addressing you as her favorite single mom. I can see how it irritates you.” David gently grabbed my arm and began leading me towards the room. “Besides Charlie, it’s not like I lied, I am the man in your life, for right now at least.” David led me in the room where Susie was standing next to a large machine.

            “Okay mommy.” Susie giggled in David’s direction. “Let’s get into a gown so we can get this party started.”  

            Susie pulled a curtain hanging in the corner of the room.  With everyone seated on one side and me on the other Susie helped me out of my clothes and into a backless gown.

            With one sweeping motion she pulled back the curtains and helped me up onto the cold table. I was self-conscious of my rear hanging out of the back of the gown but Susie handed me a hospital cover and told me to cover the bottom half of my body with it.  She attempted to comfort me by telling me the doctor would be here in a moment.

She gave David once last glance and shrieked before dancing out of the room.

            Jolene and my mom sat in chairs next to me chatting excitedly, while David sat in a chair by my feet lightly tapping my toes.  We were all squished in the room and missing the cool air from the waiting room. Just as Jolene had made her third comment about the heat, Dr. Lee walked in.

            “Hi Charlotte. And who is all this?” Dr. Lee turned to the small posse in the room.

            “This is Charlie’s mum, this is David, I’m the kid’s future godmother, and you should know Charlie Doc.” Jolene answered the doctor’s question with as much innocence as her sarcasm could muster.

            “Okay then, baby’s first entourage, let’s get started shall we.” The doctor turned on the machine and reached over for what looked like an oversize tube of toothpaste.

            “This will be very cold Charlotte, just a warning.” He lifted the gown and lowered the cover slightly, right before he squirted ice-cold goo on my belly.

            My belly twitched from the freezing sensation as the doctor spread the gel around with an oversize wand.

“Let’s see what we have here. One, two, three… ten fingers, ten toes.” I started at the machine’s screen as he pointed out darkened images.

            “And that is your baby’s heartbeat Charlotte.”  The images began to come into focus and the whole room leaned in closer simultaneously.

            I watched the screen flicker back and forth.  The soft rhythm kept in time with the pulsing image on the screen and for the first time I felt connected to the being growing inside of me.  I watched in awe as the doctor pointed out parts on the screen, parts of my baby, softly moving about inside of me. I felt a tear escape my eye and gently trail down my cheek as I watched the images focus in and out of resemblance.  

            “Do you want to know the sex of your baby Charlotte?” Doctor Lee turned to me with a smile.

            I looked around the room at Jolene who was frantically waiving her head in a yes motion while David stared dumbfounded at the screen. I turned my eyes to my mom who just gave me a look I didn’t need voiced to understand.

            “Okay.” I said quietly, acutely aware of the change that had begun in my heart.

 “Congratulations Charlotte. You’re having a boy!”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

641 92 34
Been fired from her job, and kicked out of her apartment, Nina works as a cook for a surly man who battles with a traumatic experience. Nina discover...
36.8K 644 24
Half way through senior year Olivia has a drunken one night stand with her best friends friend. Then it turns into friends with benefits. Then it t...
991K 19.9K 48
Erica had a messed up life. Her parents fought endlessly and her brother was a drug addict. So when her father finally leaves taking her brother with...
541 46 22
After her parents die unexpectedly, Sarah learns she has inherited an old farm that has been neglected for years. She is determined to make it a wor...