The Spies

Chapter seventeen: The spies

"Wow!" I was staring at David who mirrored my shock.

"Wow indeed."

"That was..."

"Yeah." David shook his head at me.

I searched my mind for words but my brain was still full of fireworks. "Um" was all I could mutter.

"Charlie."

"Um, did you mean to do that?" I stared at David.

Hi face lit up as it broke into a wide smile. "Yeah, I did, for some time now."

"Since when?"

"Remember the night you met him?"

My mind rushed back to that night when I saw first saw my ex from across the room. I could see his steel grey eyes, his dark hair, his tall muscular body leaning against the wall staring at me. I strained a little more and I remembered there, next to him, was David.

I gasped "You were there!"

"Yup."

"So..."

"Since then." David pulled the chair closer to the bed and held my hand.

I stared at him open mouthed as my heart fluttered. "But why didn't you say something that night?"

David eyes scrunched up in shame as he caressed my palm. "He saw you first, and the way you looked at him, well I knew better than to interfere with that." he squeezed my hand and gave me a meek smile.

"But all this time? Even after he left?" I was in shock as thousands of questions ran through my mind.

"Charlie, you were so sad, so broken, I figured you needed a friend, not some lame guy pouring his heart out to you." David reached up and caressed my face with such tenderness I felt my knees melt.

"Why now?" I asked as David scooted closer to me.

"Because I don't want you to go through this alone." He leaned into me and I could feel the warmth radiate off his body. "And because I couldn't hold it in anymore."

"Hold what in?" I held my breath in hopes he would lean in and kiss me again.

"My feelings." His blue eyes looked deep into my soul and held my stare.

"And how do you feel David?"

His face came nose to nose and he stopped just short of making contact with me, his lips gently brushing mine, making them quiver in anticipation. He wrapped his fingers in my hair, gently running his hands through. The blue in his eyes pierced me as he looked lovingly into my eyes. "I'm in love with you Charlotte; I always have been, since the moment I first laid eyes on you."

"YAY! I knew it! I bloody well knew it! YAY!" David pulled back in shock as we both looked up at a nearly hysterical Jolene. She had slammed the door open and was currently dancing a jig in the middle of my room.

"Jolene!" I scolded with a smile on my face.

"I knew it, you daft little buggers! LOVE! YAY!" she held her arms up in a touchdown stance and ran around the room in circles.

David turned and ran the back of his hand down my cheek. "I think I better go. You're okay right?"

"Yes." I nodded at him "Even better now." I could feel my heart swell as I looked at him. I wanted to ask him to stay, but as I looked at Jolene run rampant, I knew he had to go.

"Okay, I'm going to go then. I'll be back in the morning to check on you." David leaned down and gave me a gentle kiss on the lips. I heard someone breathing and both David and I turned to see Jolene inches from our faces.

"Isn't love grand?" She smiled at both of us as she pulled both our heads into a suffocating hug.

David pulled himself out of Jolene's surprisingly strong arms and made his way to the door. He stopped just inside the doorway and turned towards Jolene "You make sure My Charlie gets some rest now Jolene."

"'Course" Jolene chirped as she plopped herself down on the bed next to me.

David turned his striking eyes to me and I melted. "I'll be back Charlie; you'll never get rid of me now." He laughed and left.

I sighed as Jolene wrapped her arms around my shoulders. I turned and looked at her as she grinned from ear to ear.

"How long were you standing there Jolene?"

"Oh I got here around the time he told you how long he's been in love with you." She reached down to the foot of the bed and snatched up my stuffed bear, squeezing him tightly in her arms.

"You were spying on us that long?"

"I wouldn't call it spying Charlie, that makes it sound tawdry." She sniffed as she ran her fingers over the bear's fur. "I came back and heard voices, so naturally I listened at the door to make sure it was not of a sordid nature."

"Then why didn't come in to check on me?"

Jolene shrugged "I recognized David's voice and figured you were okay."

"Uh huh." I looked at my friend through one slanted eye.

"Are you not okay Charlie?"

"I'm okay." I felt my cheeks flush

"From what I saw I would say you are more than okay." Jolene crossed her arms waiting for details.

"Yeah." I swooned as I replayed everything in my head. "He's so caring and wonderful, like nothing I've ever had but always dreamed of."

"Uh huh."

"And when he kissed me, I swear Jolene! I felt fireworks!" I was so giddy I could hardly contain myself.

"Yeah, I heard the dumbfounded conversation you guys shared." Jolene rolled her eyes and slanted her jaw, wiping invisible drool as she mocked David and me.

"Jeez Jolene. You know in this country it's rude to spy on people." I jabbed her in her ribs jokingly.

"Like I said, I was just checking, plus I wasn't the only one spying, Alicia was standing there to!" Jolene pouted.

"What?" My voice caught in my throat.

"Alicia was standing at the door listening when I walked up." Jolene pointed at the door.

"Jolene, go slower." My heart was racing and I could hear the beeping of the machine speed up.

"Um, okay. Alicia---was---standing---at--- the---door---when---I---walked---up" Jolene dragged out her words taking a full minute to complete her sentence.

I felt my head explode. "Oh my god! I wonder how long she was standing there." I wonder if she saw David and I kiss.

"Well she must have been standing there a good while because I watched her leaning in the door the entire time I walked down the blooming hall." Jolene put her hands up and poked her head through them demonstrating what Alicia was doing.

Oh no, oh no. "What did she say when you walked up Jolene?"

"Nothing! I walked about and asked her 'what the hell you think you're doing?'" Jolene waived her finger in the air in irritation.

"And?"

"She just turned and gave me a nasty look and ran off. Come to think of it she looked a bit teary eyed. I didn't know snakes could cry." Jolene gave me a wicked smile as she confirmed my fear.

Alicia had seen David kiss me, the pact was over, peace was over. It was war.