MaNan: Breaking Free

By pikachu2602

| COMPLETED | Cover credits- @parthxlife Manik Malhotra is a 23 year old, London returned, street smart guy w... More

1|Going back home
2|Relations
3|The Thakkars'
4|Heart to heart
5|Nandini Murthy
6|The Bodyguard
7|The Pursuit Of Happiness
8|Break-up
9|Complications
10|Falling Down
11|The Game
12|Going Places
13|Bonding
14|Giving in
15|Attractions
16|Jingle bells
17|I am here
18|Revealed
19|On the edge
20|Upturned
22|Jumbled up
23|Heated
24|Jigsaw
25|Rising
26|The Chase
27|Rebuilding
28|Beginnings
29|The Competition
30|Bring It On
31|0-100
32|Next step
33|The Unexpected
34|Countdown
35|Fab 5
36|Confrontations
37|Suspicions
38|Truth
39|Last straw
40|Melancholy
41|Departed
42|Showdown
43|Breaking free
44|Take two
45|Old flame
46|Jitters
47|Demons
48|Letting go
49|Realizations
50|Afeemi
51|Embracing
A Peek Into The Future (1)
A Peek Into The Future (2)

21|Daggers

5.7K 498 12
By pikachu2602

Nandini's POV

I am sitting at the breakfast table, playing with my food. Nyonika and Singhania have already left, giving me the liberty to use their precious dining table.

"What happened, Nandu?" Jenny shrieks as soon as she sees me, worry etched on her face. I don't know or care what I look like right now. Going by Jenny's reaction, I must look hideous.

"Nothing." I say hoarsely.

"Have you been crying your eyes out?"

"No." I lie.

"NANDU. TELL ME WHAT HAPPENED. RIGHT NOW."

Taking a deep breath, I tell Jenny how Manik had been ignoring me, about the rude text he sent and the confrontation afterwards.

"How dare he? Who does he think he is? I will go and put his shit together!" She yells angrily once I have finished and starts walking to the door.

"Jenny! Where are you going?" I grab her arm.

"To fire his sorry ass. I can't believe my judgement was wrong." She looks very angry.

"No, Jenny. Don't fire him." I say firmly.

"Why?" She looks surprised.

"Because, I don't want to give him the satisfaction of having gotten to me. If we fire him, he will think whatever he did affected me. He will think that he affected me. And I don't want to give him that idea. I want to show him that no matter what he does, we will remain professional, because, I DON'T CARE!" I screech, reminding myself again that I have to stop caring about him.

"Are you sure, honey?" She asks, her features softening.

"Yes, Jenny. He kind of dared me fire him last night and said some shit. But I can deal with this." I assure her.

"If he does anything again, let me know right away. I will not spare him." She says in a matter-of-fact tone.

"Okay." I give her a small smile.

Last night, after coming back, I cried for a couple of hours. Images after images kept flashing through my head. The dance at the Christmas party, him singing to me and hugging me on dad's birthday, us watching TV and doing the Lit assignment and...the kiss. It all came crushing down on me with a force I couldn't withstand. My heart ached at the image of his dazzling smile and that mischievous smirk he would give me. I had not been this miserable in a long time.

After my tears dried up, I had collected myself together, deciding not to shed another tear on that jerk. He didn't deserve it. Anger had slowly replaced sorrow, bit by bit. I was angry as fuck at Manik Malhotra. And myself too, for letting my guard down.

I had woken up this morning with a throbbing headache, and the determination to give all the shit back to the bodyguard.

"Take care, Nandu!" Jenny yells after me as I walk out. I wave back at her.

Manik is waiting by the car as usual. When he sees me, shock overtakes his features. He opens his mouth to say something, but closes it quickly.

"Get in the fucking car quickly. I don't want to be late." I hiss at him and take the back seat instead of sitting in the front.

Two can play at this game. Enough of crying. Just be the bitch everyone thinks you are!

He gets in quickly and starts driving.

"You know why you are still here, bodyguard?" I glare at the mirror. "Because her majesty decided to have mercy on the piece of pigshit that you are."

He keeps looking straight, not reacting at all.

"What happened to you big, ugly mouth today? Come on, I know it's capable of puking a lot of shit. So why is the dustbin shut?" I plaster a fake smile on my face.

He still doesn't react.

"We have reached." He says blankly after 15 minutes.

I get down, fuming in anger. In my hurry to get away, I trip on a stone and nearly fall. Manik catches me by the arm.

"Careful, Nandini." He says, slightly worried, which surprises me. I look up at his face and see a glint of concern, which quickly disappears.

"Keep your filthy hands off me, loser." I glare at him and start walking.

The first half passes in a blur, nothing being said between me and Manik. Cabir and Navya are glancing at me every now and then, as if I am about to explode.

It's lunch time and we are seated at our regular table. Dhruv also joins us today.

"How's your mom, Manik?" Cabir asks.

"She is better now, thanks Cabir." He smiles at him.

Just then, Cabir's phone rings and he excuses himself to take it.

We sit in silence for some time. Both Navya and Dhruv are looking at me apprehensively. Manik is sitting like a stone wall, expressionless and cold.

"Hi, Manik." Alia approaches us. "Could we talk in private for a minute?" She asks sweetly, ignoring the rest of us.

"Um..sure." He says and gets up. "I'll be right back, guys."

"What's up, Nandini?" Dhruv asks as soon as Manik disappears.

"Nothing." I say without any emotion.

"Did he hurt you?" Navya asks in a small voice.

"I don't want to talk about it, guys. Just know that Manik is a jerk and he doesn't deserve my time or energy."

"Well, if you feel like talking, we are right here Nandini." Dhruv murmurs.

"I know. Thanks." I smile at the two of them.

We sit in silence for another 10 minutes. When it's time for class, we get up and make a move.Manik and Cabir are not back yet.

What the hell is he doing with Alia since so long?

Stop it, Nandini! Don't go there again.

As we turn around a corner, I spot the two of them talking at the base of the staircase.

"Guys, carry on. I'll be back." I find myself saying before I can stop. Navya and Dhruv proceed further and I turn around.

"You know, these past couple of days, when you were in Delhi, I realised how I actually feel about you. I missed you. Manik...I really like you!" I hear Alia saying nervously.

What the fuck?

"Alia, I..." Manik mutters. I can't see his face because he has his back to me.

"Listen, I know Nandini is your childhood friend and she doesn't like me one bit. But, trust me, I have never done anything to her. She just hates people in general. It's not my fault. I am not a bad person." She blabbers.

"Alia.."

"Do you think we could work this out? I mean, date or something. I really have a thing for you." She continues.

Manik is about to respond. Just then, I hear someone call out my name from behind, which makes me turn around instantly.

"Nandini, why are you not in class?" Raghav asks me and keeps staring at me.

"Just going." I mumble and with one final glance in Manik's direction, walk past Raghav.

Perfect fucking timing. What did Manik say to Alia? Did he say yes to her?

Shut it! Even if he did say yes, you shouldn't care!

They walk into class minutes later. Manik's face is unreadable. Alia, on the other hand, looks sad.

He must have said no! Or she wouldn't be so sad!

As Manik sits down behind me, I keep staring ahead with what I think is a blank face.

The day finally comes to an end and as I am about to enter my car, Harshad catches up with me.

"Hey, Nandini." He yells. Behind me, I sense Manik going totally rigid.

"What is it?" I say calmly, without any rudeness. Manik tenses even more at that. Good!

"There's a party at my place, tonight. Would you like to come?" He asks hopefully.

I want to say yes, just to irk a certain jerk, but going to Harshad's party is something I just can't do.

"No, I don't want to come." I say and get into the car quickly.

I see Harshad saying something to Manik, to which Manik holds up his middle finger and gets into the car.

"Nandini, for your own safety, you should stay away from Harshad. He is a total ass." He says after a minute.

"Look who's talking!" I scoff and stare out of the window.

I badly want to know what he said to Alia. I know it's not reasonable. I am not supposed to care. But I just can't get rid of this thought! She was criticising me. And he didn't defend me at all. But wait, why would he? That's exactly what he also thinks about you!

We reach home and Manik follows me inside. Singhania is sitting in the living room, deep in discussion with Pathak uncle.

The reaction from Manik is instant. His entire body, each and every muscle seems to tense, he is gritting his teeth, as if controlling himself real hard and his hands are balled up in fists on the sides. His gaze is transfixed on Singhania.

"What happened, Manik?" I ask involuntarily, placing my hand on his shoulder.

His eyes snap to me and in that moment, he looks like a wild beast, ready for the kill. He looks furious and his eyes are brimming with an emotion I do not understand.

After staring at me for a couple of seconds, I feel him relaxing under my hand. He let's out a shallow breath and moves away from my hand quickly.

"Nothing." He utters through gritted teeth.

I can't take my eyes off him. What just happened? Is he bipolar or something?

"Nandini." I hear Singhania's shrill voice call out my name. Pushing Manik out of my head, I walk in, deciding to ignore him completely.

"Come here a minute." He orders when I am about to sneak up.

"What?" I turn around and say sharply.

"How are you?" He asks.

"Still alive." I roll my eyes. After all that he has done, he asks me this!

"You must be Manik Malhotra."

"Yes." Manik says from behind me.

"Pathak speaks very highly of you. I hope you are able to protect my daughter from everything that may possibly go wrong." He says firmly.

Did he just say my daughter? Lol!

"There's no media here. Why are you acting?" I glare at him.

"Please go upstairs, Nandu." Pathak uncle pleads.

With one final glare at Singhania, who just smirks, I go upstairs.

..........

I wake up in the middle of the night, sweating profusely. My AC seems to have broken down. Grabbing the water jug from my side table, I find it empty. I slowly drag myself out of the bed to the kitchen.

After filling my jug and taking a long sip, I start climbing the stairs. Just then, I notice something weird. The lights in Singhania's study are on. I check the time. It's 2.37 am. That's strange. Singhania never stays up late in the night to work. He is a lazy bastard who loves his sleep. I turn around and decide to have a look.

As I approach the door, I hear footsteps inside. I quickly go inside, but the room is empty. A few files are littered on the desk and a lamp on the table is switched on. I look around again, but don't see anyone.

Someone is definitely in here.

"Who's there?" I call out. The security system of this bungalow is top notch. So it couldn't possibly be a burglar.

I look around once more before heading out, my insides buzzing with suspicion.

.............

The rest of the week passes uneventfully. Well, normally, the first week of the year is supposed to be all exciting and happy. But I don't feel thrilled at all. Nothing has been said between Manik and me. N.O.T.H.I.N.G!
I have not left a single opportunity to insult him and he has given absolutely no reaction. It's like I don't exist for him. The fact that he is being so distant is really bugging me, although I shouldn't be affected. At the same time, I have also found him staring at me several times, with a pained expression. It is all so confusing!

Manik has also been behaving very strange. He looks like he is always in deep thought, making some tough decision. And what's with Singhania? He starts breathing fire on seeing him!

On a dull Monday morning, I am sitting by myself in class. Manik excused himself earlier in the canteen, using as few words as possible, to attend a phone call. He hasn't returned since then. Cabir is taking a day off, because he caught cold, and Navya is late, yet again. For the past one week, she has been late for nearly every morning lecture. I have asked her about it, but she would dismiss me. And so, I am sitting alone. A few people are chatting away at the back of the class.

"He was so fucking sexy, man!" Mukti's voice fills my ears, as she walks in with Alia. She has a sheepish look on her face.

"Who do you think that was?" Alia asks, as they settle down a few seats away from me.

"Manik's twin brother? I hope he is single, and straight." Mukti still looks dazed.

"Hmm.." Alia just nods.

"If you had not pulled me to this stupid class, I could have spoken to him!" She accuses Alia. I can't help listen to their conversation. Who are they talking about?

"Sorry, Mukti! You'll get another chance, I am sure. Everyone is not unlucky like me." She says miserably. She looks so sad I almost feel sorry for her. Almost.

"Come on, Alia. Manik will see what he is losing and come around. Just give him some time." She says softly.

At that particular instant, Alia notices me staring at her and turns her head in another direction. Mukti also follows her gaze and notices me. They both fall silent after that.

After about five minutes, Navya arrives. With Harshad. My eyes almost bulge out of their sockets because they are holding hands. She sits down beside me, beaming. Harshad walks over to Alia, letting go of Navya's hand.

"What's up?" I ask her, already knowing the answer.

"We are dating!" She grins. "He asked me out yesterday and I said yes!"

"Navya, are you sure about this?" I whisper, emphasising each word.

"Yeah, Nandu. It's high time. I can't be stuck on Cabir forever. He will always be my first love. But I have accepted the fact that I can never have him the way I want to. And Harshad...well, he has been very sweet of late. And don't worry, it's just casual dating at the moment. I am not falling head over heels in love with him or something. I want to move on and I think this will help." She assures me.

Sure enough, Harshad is being extra sweet these days, with me too.

"Okay, if this is what you want, I am cool with it." I smile at her.

"Thank you!" She squeals and pulls me into a hug.

When we break apart, Harshad and Alia are standing in front of us.

"Congrats, Navya! Bhai just told me." She smiles and hugs Navya.

"Thank you, Alia." Navya replies back.

Just then, the teacher arrives, making everyone retreat to their seats.

Manik is still not back. Is he with someone?

"May I come in, sir?" He finally returns and asks.

After class comes to an end, I walk out with Manik, hoping to give Navya some alone time with her boyfriend.

"Hey Manik! Wait." Mukti yells behind us. We turn around to see her and Alia walking up to us. Mukti is rather jogging.

"Who was that guy with you at the gate?" She asks, unable to contain her excitement.

"That was Abhimanyu Thakkar, my friend." He says.

"Well, he is quiet a hottie! Is he single?"

"Yes."

"Is he straight?"

"Fortunately for you, yes he is." Manik laughs. I am hearing this sound after a long time. And I hate myself for liking it.

"Will you introduce me to him? You know, I might be slightly interested, just slightly." Mukti winks at him.

"Yeah, why not." He smiles back.

They wave at him one last time and walk away.

"If you are done with setting your friends up, can we leave?" I glare at him.

And there it is! That pained expression, mixed with....sadness? I can't quite figure out what it is. I momentarily get lost in his brown eyes, which are soft at the moment.

"Will you please move?" An irritated girl, carrying a lot of books, huffs. Our eye contact breaks and Manik starts looking here and there.

"Let's go." I mumble, not as rudely as I wanted to, and start walking.

I spot Navya hugging Harshad in a corner of the parking lot. She seems happy. Smiling to myself for the first time in the last week, I get into the car and we drive back home.
.
.
.
.
.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

552K 26.7K 28
CHILDHOOD LOVE SERIES BOOK 2 it can be read as a standalone . "Do you even care for me? " the girl said with fire in her eyes . Armaan kept standin...
7.1K 378 4
Tere bin but with less conflicts and more love. Join meerab's and murtasim's journey to a happy ending.
876K 36.8K 79
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
212 52 19
In a quiet corner of Crestwood High School, Leo, a shy high schooler, catches the eye of Elisa, a stunning girl who secretly has many admirers. As Le...