The Criminal and The Vigilant...

By DoUbLeZone

Lucas is a Shape Shifter who prides himself on being a man of the law. He's the one who puts away the crimin... More

Chapter 1: Sleeping with the Enemy.
Chapter 2: Punishment for incompetence is death.
Chapter 3: If looks could kill...
Chapter 4: Late apologies and drunken fools
Sneak Peek for Chapter 5
Chapter 5: It's in your heart if not in your mind..
Chapter 6: Bruises and Bree.
Chapter 7: The heart wants what it shouldn't...
Chapter 8: Flying Metal Death Traps..
Chapter 9: Friends and Traitors.
Chapter 10: The Corsetti Brothers.
Chapter 11: Furrowed brows and a Stronger Reslove
Chapter 12: The Alpha's Mate.
Sneak peek....A Brief respite... Chain of events...
Chapter 13: And so it begins...
Chapter 14: If you love him...
Chapter 15: Another Anomaly.
Chapter 16: His Mate
Chapter 17: Love without sacrifice.
Chapter 18:Cause and effect.
Chapter 19: Evidence
Chapter 20: For the lives of the innocent.
Chapter 21: Just a hot mess
Chapter 22 : The Ultimate Betrayal.
Chapter 23: Cause for concern
Chapter 24: Dominance and Submission.
Sneak Peek...Arrogant prisoner.
Chapter 26: Underage.
Chapter 27: Waiting game.
Chapter 28: Blood comes first
Sneak Peek for chapter 29
Chapter 29; No time for marked graves.
Chapter 30: A different kinda love and welcome change.

Chapter 25: Vigilante justice.

48.1K 1.9K 531
By DoUbLeZone

Chapter 25

If any of the prisoners or their interviewers were to be asked exactly when everything went to shit they would possibly all have varying answers. For Scottie it would probably have been the moment the holding room’s door was ripped off its hinges and he went flying into the wall behind him. Thomas might even agree.

For Jessie and Rivers it could have been the second the elders before them fell to their death; blackened beyond recognition before their very eyes and they felt the horrible fleck of intense heat assault them as they ducked to the far side of their small rooms.

For Marcus it might very well have been the sound of his mate’s heart clenching scream ripping through his head and for that very unfortunate pack guard who stood watch over Carson and Adrian it might have been the moment he felt the sickening crunch of his hip bone as a large object slammed into him or maybe it was the moment he watched the flames tear at his skin as he screamed in agony.

………………………………………………..

~Lucas’ POV~

I pried my eyes open only to quickly slam them shut when the blinding light pierced them, sending tingling sensations ricocheting through. When I finally managed to open them without much cause for pain I began noticing other things; like the persistent throbbing in my side and the aching discomfort in my chest.

I didn’t dare move a muscle lest the sensations intensified. Instead I took in the room around me, noticing for the first time the fact that I was in what looked to be a hospital room. The beeping machines were a dead giveaway but it was the uncomfortable single bed I was sprawled out on that was the telling factor for me.

I swallowed, trying to quench my parched throat, then stuck out my tongue to wet my cracked lips. Somewhere not far away I could hear booms and shouts and if I wasn’t mistaken; gun shots and that’s what brought it all back to me.

I remembered Adrian training a gun on me; his expression fierce and his eyes filled with hurt, then I remembered the sharp pain erupting through my body and Adrian screaming my name as I fell to the floor.

It was almost too much to take in and a dull throb built in my head. Moments later after I’d almost succeeded in quelling the pain, the door of my room burst open and Adrian stepped in.

He looked tired and wary and his clothes were dirty enough to make me think he’d been rolling around in mud. He had a small cut above his left eye and what I could see of his knuckles were bruised and bleeding.

He immediately moved to the corner of the room and I watched in confusion as he opened the folding wheel chair there and rolled it over to my side. Then while he fidgeted with the tubes in my arm I spoke up.

“Adrian?” my voice was hoarse and weak but his eyes flashed to mine, wide with shock.

“You’re awake?” he asked in awe, dropping to his knees at my side and taking hold of my hand.

I simply stared at him; confused by his reaction.

“You’re awake.” He whispered again, almost reverently and my eyebrows went up a notch.

“Jesus Lucas I thought...” he took a calming breath and looked away and when his eyes met mine once more they were tormented.

“What’d I miss?” my question was barely a whisper against my parched throat.

He shook his head, almost as if he couldn’t understand my question. Then he squeezed the hand he held slightly. “I’m so sorry Lucas, I never meant to hurt you…I never wanted-“

I cut him off. “Don’t…I don’t think I can stand to go through this right now.” I told him; too many emotions roiling within me.

He nodded. “Of course.” His eyes pierced mine, pleading for what I could only guess was forgiveness and I closed my eyes briefly to shut out the light.

I heard another boom and an ear piercing scream from somewhere not far away and my eyes snapped open.

Adrian instantly pulled away; once again fidgeting with the tubes in my arm and I watched in confusion as he pulled back the sheets that covered my body.

“”What’s going on?” I asked him, watching his every move.

He didn’t answer but kept steadfastly on his mission.

“Who shot me?” I tried again and this time he looked up but only briefly.

“I swear I’ll tell you all that later but right now I’ve got to get you out of here…Sit up.” He said and I did as he asked, suffering through the pain and discomfort that shot through my chest at the slightest movement.

He settled his hand under my legs and around my back, successfully lifting me off the bed and into the wheel chair.

“I can walk.” I protested weakly but he ignored me and after handing me a pillow, which I settled into my lap; he was pushing me out the door and across the hall.

……………………………………….

I found myself stuffed into a bed once again. This time however there were no beeping machines and annoying tubes to keep me company but what I got instead were my dirty and bruised comrades going in and out of Carson’s living room, now slash bedroom, slash sickbay slash everything else.

Adrian left the moment I was secure in my new bed. He’d kissed my forehead briefly and uttered an almost inaudible ‘I love you’ then he was gone. I hadn’t seen him since and that was almost four hours ago. I couldn’t count the number of times I’d dozed off during that period.

What I’d learned after much cajoling was that there was an ongoing pack raid…much like what had taken place last time I had to come here to save Carson’s ass. Only this time no one knew who was responsible or how the enemy broke through our defenses.

The lack of cleanliness of my comrades then had much to do with their assistance in the fight and I longed to go out there and do some damage.

Marcus, Scottie, Jessie and a few others were in and out constantly. Only Laken and Rivers remained indoors and at my side at all times. Grady just sat in the corner looking miserable; maybe because like me with Adrian, he hadn’t seen or heard from Thomas for hours now.

“Any word yet?” I asked Laken who was busy fluffing my pillows which I’d told him time and time again didn’t need fluffing.

He shook his head. “Only that it’s getting worse; the enemy keeps getting reinforcements but so far we’re holding our own.” He said it with a smile but I could see the fear and concern he so desperately tried to hide and I sighed; praying that after everything this pack had been through, it wouldn’t all end here.

…………………………………………………….

~Thomas’ POV~

The smoke was dense and I had to stuff my nose into my sleeve as I shoved through the alley, stepping over dead bodies and trying to stay out of the sights of the enemy. Our defenses were blown to bits. The attack came so sudden and with such strategic perfection that it left no doubt in my mind that it was with the help of some of our very own men.

They attacked our weapon rooms first and that was only after they’d taken out our camouflaged guards, tore down the recently erected fences and surrounded the camp almost completely. On top of all that mess; the enemy consisted of heavily armed werewolves who I couldn’t identify and every hour their forces seemed to grow.

I tripped and fell over another fallen comrade and cursed under my breath before pushing up and continuing on my way. I was trying to give my wolf the rest it needed before shifting again. After almost half the day lost on fighting I was surprised I could still manage to walk another step.

It was when I broke through the alleyway opening that I saw them; three men struggling with Adrian who was fighting tooth and nail to get free of their grasp.

I felt the vibration rip through my body as I prepared to shift. It shook me, travelling up my spine and burning through my bones. I arched my back ready to take on my alternate form and something slammed into me from behind.

I fell to the ground not far away and jumped to my feet as quickly as I had gone down; turning to face my new opponent. The guy was menacing; his neck thick and lined with veins with the rest of his body equally huge and threatening.

Before I could take a breath he slammed into me. I gripped his arms and we both toppled over, both of us struggling wildly for the upper hand. I smashed my fist into his stubby nose and he howled grabbing hold of it as the blood spurted.

I used the opportunity to kick out; catching him in his side before I grabbed hold of his neck and twisted. He fell like a log.

I pushed up from the ground with some effort but when I looked back into the alley opening the three men were gone and so was Adrian.

……………………………………

~Lucas’ POV~

The next time I woke it was to good, bad and confusing news. The good being that the enemy had retreated. The confusing being that they retreated even though they had been wining and the bad being that they took Adrian with them.

We all congregated in the room listening as Carson delivered yet more surprising news. It was only our small group that would be privy to this particular conversation and that somehow made hearing the news a whole lot worse.

“Are you sure it’s her?” Laken was asking his mate; surprise etched in his very expression.

Carson nodded. “We’ve questioned him thoroughly, if he was misleading us we would have known.” He continued and the others nodded.

Apparently they had one of the guys who was involved in the raid in custody.

“So where do we go from here?” Grady asked; speaking for the first time since we all gathered in the room.

We aren’t going anywhere…you are gonna sit right here while my pack and I handle this.” Thomas spoke up and Grady rolled his eyes before settling his gaze on Carson once more.

“So what you’re saying is; Victor’s daughter wants revenge on us for killing her father in the last raid and for whatever reason she’s taken Adrian hostage to secure that plan?” I questioned from my place on the narrow bed.

Carson nodded. “Essentially. The kidnapping was possibly always a part of the plan...it’s clear she has someone on the inside feeding her pack information. Kidnapping Adrian puts the ball in her court . She probably expects us to comply with her wishes.” Carson continued.

“So now you idiots believe me? I don’t you Adrian and the others were innocent.” Grady continued, directing his statement to his mate who only gave him a patient look.

“We’ve already apologized for that…they were merely suspects as were a few other members of the pack. Now we need to move on from this and decide a plan of action.” Carson’s gaze travelled around the room, looking into the eyes of us all in turn before he settled his gaze on  his Beta.

“I’d say the only plan of action you should be focused on is getting Adrian back.” I said breaking the brief silence.

Carson looked at me; his gaze softening for a second then hardening as he spoke to me. “Don’t worry Lucas, we’ll get him back.” He told me and the look of determination in his eyes assured me to such a degree that I was able to relax against the bed sheets once more and fall into a deep sleep.

When next I woke, the atmosphere was thick with tension. I looked around the room, taking in the activity going on within. Those who weren’t packing up gear were shouting orders and those who weren’t shouting orders were following them. It was chaos.

…………………………………………….

~Carson’s POV~

I could sense his fear even as he smiled up at me. He was trying to be strong and I admired him for it. This silent strength would comfort him when I was gone and it would assure me that he wasn’t sitting around pining for me. I hugged him close ignoring the activity around me and shutting out the voices in the small room.

This moment was all I had with Laken before my imminent departure and I refused to waste it. When I pulled away he clutched me briefly before letting go completely and I ruffled his hair to make him smile. He did.

“Stay strong.” I told him and he nodded; a glint of determination flashing in his eyes.

He would be fine.

……………………………………….

~Scottie’s POV~

The kiss was deep and heated; sending sensations travelling along my spine. I pulled her closer basking in her heat but she pulled away before I could fully appreciate our closeness.  She grinned up at me; her eyes dancing and I grinned back.

I always got carried away when I was with her but she was right to pull away because this time I had mission ahead and making out with my mate in a room full of men wasn’t necessarily the best way to go about preparing for what I was about to undertake.

“Why do you look so sad?” she asked me. Her expression was one of concern and I smiled in an attempt to reassure her.

She brought her hand up to rest on my cheek. “I’m not worried Scottie. You’ll go with Carson and the others and you’ll get your brother back then you’ll come back to me. I have no doubt it will go well.” She told me in that soothing voice she loved to use on her patients and I nodded.

‘You’re right, it’ll be fine.” I said, only half believing my words and she nodded.

As long as she had faith in our success then I could do this.

……………………………………………

~Thomas’ POV~

He wouldn’t look at me. No matter what I said and how much I joked. He kept his head firmly turned away from me, refusing to even glance my way.

“Come on Grady don’t be like this.” I pleaded with him and as it had before his bottom lip trembled and he bit down on it…hard.

I could see the tears build in his eyes but he didn’t dare let them fall. Grady was tough; he didn’t waste time on emotional things like this but today he was having quite a bit of difficulty and my heart clenched at the sight.

“I’ll be fine...we all will. We’ll be back before you know it, you’ll see.” I said but he still refused to look my way and he didn’t utter a word.

I was grateful that he at least could find it in him to stand before me and when I took hold of his hands we didn’t pull away.

“You’re gonna make me leave without even a little kiss?” I asked jokingly and when he still remained frozen and silent I sighed, dropping his hands and taking a step back.

It was then that he looked at me and I saw the fear in his eyes. He took a deep breath and opened his mouth to say something but no words came and he turned his head again; this time folding his arms before him. I smiled

I stepped closer to him again. This time blocking out the sounds from the others around me and I gently took hold of his chin, pulling his face to mine. He blinked a few times fast; trying to get rid of the unshed tears and his bottom lip remained trapped by his teeth.

“I love you.” I told him firmly then planted a kiss on his forehead after which I wrapped my arms around him; crushing him to me briefly before letting him go.

 I took a few steps back, my eyes leaving his as I searched out the others. It was when I turned around fully to gather my gear that he finally spoke. His voice trembling slightly when he did.

“Hey Thomas?” he called out and I turned to look back at him.

“You better come back or I’m selling all your shit on eBay.” He said with a weak smile that trembled.

I chuckled, glad that he at least tried to put up a brave front. “I’ll be back.” I promised and it was one promise I knew I would keep.

…………………………………………….

~Lucas’ POV~

Rivers was having a hard time of it.

We all watched as he held on to Marcus, his hands gripping him tightly as he sobbed into his mate’s chest. Marcus looked both heartbroken and helpless and for a moment I felt sorry for the guy.

“I just got you…I just got you.” Rivers was sobbing brokenly and my heart clenched at his words.

“It’s okay baby I’ll be back.” Marcus said trying desperately to assure his hurting mate but Rivers was having none of it.

Marcus looked around the room; his eyes wide and pleading as it landed on Carson, who came to his aid in an instant.

“Come on Rivers. You have to be strong. You’re mate is doing something extraordinary for the pack and his brother. He needs your support.” Carson said gently as he pried Rivers off Marcus.

“I just got him.” Rivers sobbed, turning his big brown, tear filled eyes on Carson who patted his head gently.

“Rivers.” Marcus said and his mate looked over at him, tears streaming down his face.

“I swear I’ll come back to you.” He told him. His voice was firm and sure but he moved no closer to Rivers lest his mate grabbed hold of him again.

If that happened Rivers would never let go.

“I’ve got his back Rivers. We all do.” Carson assured and before Rivers or Marcus could utter another word, the Alpha pulled away, issuing orders for the team to move out.

I watched as Marcus gave Rivers one last concerned look before he turned to gather his gear, then continued to watch as Jessie enveloped Rivers in a hug; whispering soothing words in his ear.

It was as I looked around that the magnitude of the moment hit me. Here was a group of highly skilled men about to risk their very lives to stand up for what they believed in. They sought to do justice not only for themselves but for those whom they loved. It was almost awe inspiring and then another thought struck me; here standing before me was a group of vigilantes preparing to go into battle to rescue a criminal. I never dreamed i'd see the day.

“We’ll get him back Lucas.” Marcus said surprising me out of my daze and I nodded.

 I knew he would. 

                                            AUTHOR'S NOTES

ENJOY!

-DoUbLe.A

-unedited

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

85.9K 3.4K 16
(Book 1 of the Mystery Shifters Series) Warning, this book is messy as hell! Be advised. BxB Fooling the whole town into thinking he can't shift, Mil...
72.9K 4.6K 20
Danny Collins is known as the evil twin; however, he's really anything but evil. He's just misunderstood, tormented by his own negative thoughts and...
21.1K 705 43
There are many types of mates in the werewolf world. Alpha x Alpha, Omega x Beta, Alpha x Beta, Beta x Beta, Omega x Alpha, But there has never been...
68K 4.3K 101
Beck is on the run. After being nearly killed by his homophobic father, his mother flees their pack and take refuge with him in Ruckerford Falls, the...