A Court of Tears and Starlight

By Spinlight

Sometimes we have to give up that which we love most so that it can be saved, to be enjoyed by others, but ne... More

The gift of the Willow
A deal's a deal
Welcome to the Night
The dress
Dining with devils
Secrets in the Night
Dark Dreams
Wild calls to wild
Spying at Night
The message
Sweet nothings
Nothing ever ends
The death of a star
Home sweet home, no more.
Reading between the lines
The Letter
Mates?
Throwing daggers
A case of terrible timing
Pillow talk
Deep in the mines
Ka-Boom
An unlikely alliance
The Awakening
The secret council
A push in the right direction
Comings and goings
Note From Spinlight
Unexpected gifts
Wasted
Preparing for the worst
Calanmai
The Great Rite
Note from Spinlight
Fighting hard
Decisions
Queen for a night
When lightning strikes
The millennial treaty
The Challenge begins
The End
Lost time
Final gifts
Violet stains
Appearances
Your heart is my home
Missing pieces
Forever family
Epilogue

You set fire to my bed

1.3K 53 15
By Spinlight

FEYRE

Ugh. I hurt everywhere and I felt exhausted. I flushed remembering what Rhysand had done to me before he left and scowled knowing he was right. I wasn't fit for anything at this present moment. Yet I felt a thousand times better than I had when I awoke yesterday. I had a feeling that my body was recovering more quickly than he was willing to give it credit for. I forced myself to get up out of the ridiculously comfortable bed and to deliberately stretch my legs and do laps around the room. I ran through a series of stretches that Lucien had taught me in preparation for throwing daggers.

My body screamed in protest with each move, but eventually the pain eased with the movement and with the increased blood flow to my muscles. I tentatively lowered myself onto the floor in a cross legged position and took a few slow calm breaths. I let myself drift into the trance like state of a hunter and focused on the steady in and out of my breathing. In this position I was finally prepared to remember.

I closed my eyes and went back through the disjointed memories from the past few days.

The amulet. It was gone. Gone when I woke up and I had not remembered to ask Rhysand about it.

I knew now that it was the amulet that had called me forth to that sacred place of light and crystal. Some how a part of that place was still within me. I couldn't explain it, but it felt as though there was a deep well of dormant power that now lay within me.

I frowned as I reached curiously within myself and drew forth that well.

Heat and energy surged through me. I let it, knowing that it was a part of me and that if I fought it I would tear myself apart. I felt as though I was full to the brim and about to burst at my seams. And then I did. I felt the fire and the agony as a burst of blinding light shot forth and I ... shifted.

I looked down in shock at the shimmering rose gold gloves that lined my arms. I felt the powerful wings, cramped behind my back and stretched them out of instinct. I could feel the strength and precision in them. I grinned at this powerful body that was now mine to wield. The heightened senses of hearing and vision and smell were incredible. I took in a deep whiff of the air and was staggered by the complexity of the smells and flavours in this room. As I drew in again I was overcome by the sudden ticklish sensation in my nose. I tried hard to suppress the urge but it built within me until it burst forth.

"Ahh-Choo!"

A dense ball of blue flame shot forth from my mouth and set Rhysand's bed on fire.

No no no no no... I began to panic as I looked around for something to douse the flames. As my panic spread, my wings began to flap, causing a wind that fanned the flames.

Shit.

Cauldron be damned. The whole bed was now in flames and the room was filling up with smoke.

Of course Rhysand decided to come back at that very moment. He burst through the doors and looked wide eyed with shock at his burning bed. I felt him do something with his magic and the flames were instantly out. He stormed over to the windows and pushed them open, letting in the fresh air and clearing out the smoke.

Then he turned and looked at me. He looked so mad that I thought he was going to strangle me.

His face contorted with a mixture of horror and anger and then finally he burst into shocked laughter.

"What the hell happened here?"

I didn't answer and then he seemed to notice that I was shaking violently. I fell to my knees and shifted back to my fae form, no longer able to hold the other.

Rhysand ran and scooped me up, carrying me down the hall way and then into a giant, high-fashioned guest suite. He lowered himself onto the bed, bring me onto his lap and hugging me protectively.

Feyre?

I looked up at him in disbelief.

I just set your bed on fire?

Yes - and not in the way I was hoping for.

I let out a small chocked laugh.

"How did I even do that?"

He wrapped his arms more tightly around me and rested his head against my own.

"Your powers experienced a full awakening in the mines" he said gently.

"From the tiny glimpse I have had of them, you are phenomenally more powerful that anything I have ever seen in my existence"

I looked up at him sceptically.

"How did you set my bed on fire?"

"I...I...I ...sneezed?"

He roared with laughter.

"She just destroyed my entire room with a single sneeze and yet she doesn't believe me that she is powerful" he shakes his head and his violet eyes sparkle with mirth.

"What are you going to do with me?" I ask fearfully.

____________________________________________________

RHYSAND

"What are you going to do with me?" she asks fearfully.

I look at her lovely face and smile reassuringly.

"This" I say kissing her warm lips.

And train you to control your gifts... starting tomorrow.

Her eyes widen as she takes this in. She nods her head in agreement.

"You're scared" I say gently.

"No, I'm not" she retorts. But her lips form a thin line and then the bottom one quivers a little.

"Your lips give you away" I whisper into her hair and then can't help but kiss her again.

After a while I ease her down in to the bed and we lay there face to face, just taking in all that has happened.

I can't help but see the amusing side of a women burning down my bed after being told 'no'.

I can feel the smirk spreading all over my untameable face. I shake my head, trying to clear my face of all the amusement.

Feyre frowns at me and raises and eyebrow in question.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

I chuckle darkly as she blushes.

"I have to say I've disgruntled many a women by turning her down, but you" I pause and flick her nose "are the first to burn down my bed over it." I laugh.

She scoffs and shakes her head.

"You're lying"

"What - you actually think other women have set fire to my rooms?"

"No - I don't actually believe you turned any away in the first place."

I chuckle, grin and then shrug at her. Knowing that my lack of denial infuriates her.

"Go away, Rhys" she pushes me firmly before rolling away from me.

"Are you going to burn down this one too if I do?" I ask curling my body around hers.

No answer. I can tell she is really mad.

Oh well. She was going to be furious at me after Calanmai anyway.

I stroke her hair until she murmurs approvingly and then I subtly send her into a deep dreamless sleep. One that will help her to heal and prevent her from burning down any more beds while I go and attend to some pressing matters.

I unfurl my wings and launch myself out of the window and into the night. It was dark of the moon. Perfect for unsavoury business and making problems 'disappear'.
__________________________

FEYRE

I woke to find Rhysand's arms wrapped around me and I smiled. It was impossible to stay mad at him when he looked so beautiful and peaceful when sleeping. I stretched out, expecting the the blistering pain that my muscles had experienced yesterday. It never came, my stretching routine must have paid off because they felt great.

I climbed out of bed and hit the shower enjoying the delicious warmth of the water on my muscles and the smell of the suds.

I went to dry myself off and discovered that a pile of serviceable cloths had been left on the counter for me...and a plush towel. I blushed at that- how had I forgotten to get a towel? Lucky Rhysand hadn't felt like tormenting me quite so early this morning.

I always feel like tormenting you.

I laughed as I walked out of the bathroom fully clothed and drying off my hair.

He looked me up and down approvingly and then smiled that rare uncomplicated smile that peeped through his guard sometimes.

"Let's grab some breakfast and then your training will begin"

He looked excited. There was a contagious enthusiasm to the way he held himself and moved that made me eager to begin.

After breakfast I found myself ushered into a small study. I was surprised to find that it was already occupied.

"Feyre!" Aeden gushed as I entered the room. He dropped the book he was reading and strolled over to where I stood and collected me in a side hug under one of his giant bear like arms.

Rhys growled quietly and I laughed. The growling only encouraged Aeden to tuck me up tighter against him.

"I'm so glad you're ok" he continued.

I smiled shyly and looked away. I wasn't use to attention and I also wasn't use to having people worry about what happened to me. It made me squirm in discomfort and feel instantly better the minute Aeden let me out of his grasp. He beckoned me over to his table and pulled out a chair, indicating for me to sit. I looked inquisitively at Rhys who nodded back at me.

"Your training begins now" Rhysand said smiling at the confused scowl that was forming on my lips.

"But I thought you were going to teach me how to fight and control my powers" I burst out.

Rhys smiles gently at me. "And I will" he said reassuringly.

"But Feyre- first you need to learn why you fight and then you can learn how."

I stared at Aeden who's face had become solemn and sorrowful. He nodded in agreement and then flicked his wrist at Rhys, dismissing him. I giggled at the annoyance that spread across his face before he shook his head and faded in an impressive mass of dark tendrils.

"Show off" Aeden muttered and I laughed again.

Three hours later I felt my stomach rubble and looked up at the clock. I couldn't believe how much time had passed- nor could I believe how much Aeden knew. It seemed like he had lived forever. He chuckled when I implied as much and his eyes wrinkled mischievously, but he didn't bother to correct me. I must ask Rhys how old he was!

I looked up to find Aeden staring at me expectantly and I realised that he had asked me a question. I was just so engrossed in the awful history of human enslavement that I hadn't even heard him.

"I think that's enough for today" he said kindly.

"It's a lot to take in" I murmured.

He smiled sadly and rose from his chair, leaving me to ponder my history alone. For it was my history now and no longer just the human side but the Fae one too.

That was how Rhysand found me. Knees hugged up against my chest, staring solemnly out the study window.

He materialised quietly next to me and offered me his hand. I reached out and enjoyed the feeling of his warm fingers squeezing mine.

"What now?" I ask.

"A sleep?" He suggests.

I shake my head adamantly.

"I'm actually feeling fine Rhys. I need to move, not rest. I feel cramped and restless and really need to be outside again." From the gleam in his own eyes I know he understands.

Then his eyes light up intensely and he literally fidgets on the spot in excitement.

"What?" I ask him, suspicious but unable to hold back a grin at his enthusiasm.

"I can teach you how to fly!!!"

He actually beams at me.

I smile back and nod, knowing that for the rest of my life I'm never going to be able to say no to that beautiful smile.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.6K 267 17
ᴛʜɪꜱ ɪꜱ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴏɴᴛɪɴᴜᴀᴛɪᴏɴ ᴏꜰ ʟɪɴᴇᴛᴛᴀ ᴀɴᴅ ɴʏx'ꜱ ꜱᴛᴏʀʏ, ᴀ ꜰᴀɴ ꜰɪᴄᴛɪᴏɴ ʙᴀꜱᴇᴅ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ ᴏꜰ 'ᴀ ᴄᴏᴜʀᴛ ᴏꜰ ᴛʜᴏʀɴꜱ ᴀɴᴅ ʀᴏꜱᴇꜱ'. 🌹 Status: Completed !Sweari...
183K 4K 26
Aelin Ashryver Whitethorn Galathynius has risked everything to save the ones she loves. One year after reclaiming Terassens Throne she is forced to d...
102K 3.5K 49
The magic of Prythian is fading, and with it everything that Zaria loves. As daughter of Tamlin, High Lord of the Spring Court, her father's reputati...
88.5K 3.8K 96
She sent as much love as she dared, hoping he wouldn't feel it, praying he wouldn't link it to her. But just for that one second, she let herself lov...