Wasted

Lucien

"For cauldrons sake Tam - either spit it out or get over it. But stop the silent brooding already."

Tam's green eyes glowed and I could see his claws shooting out as he gripped his knife and fork.

"There's nothing to spit out" he growled at me - spittle flying from his mouth.

I cocked a smug eyebrow at him and swallowed back my laughter. Anyone else would turn and run right now. Or at least back out of the room, making sure they weren't being chased down and slayed by my furious friend. Unfortunately not me. I couldn't go - as much as I wanted to. I cursed under my breath as I threw my chair back from the table; my dinner untouched on my still steaming plate.

"Sit down" Tam glared at me.

"No" I growled back. "I'm sick of you moping around like a sad puppy who's lost his bone."

Tamlin let out a guttural snarl and lunged at me.

Ok! Ok! Comparing Feyre to a bone wasn't the smartest decision of my life but I was so sick of his love sick arse moping about.

I dodged the onslaught and backed up with my knife and fork held sky high in surrender.

Tamlin looked between my hands and my face and let out a low chuckle that swiftly evolved into a full throated laugh.

I begrudgingly smiled - I suppose I did look kind of pathetic with my utensils waving about in the air.

"Tamlin - " I began.

He scowled again.

"She has moved on. You have to deal with it. Rhysand didn't steal her. They are mates. Mates!!!"

He continued to glare at me.

"You know what that means" I went on. "Just look at your mother for Cauldron's sake. She knew the cruelty and brutality of your father and yet she was helpless against their bond."

His eyes became glacial at the mention of his father. I swallowed wondering, not for the first time tonight, if I had finally gone too far.

Finally his head bowed and his shoulders crumpled as he ran his hands roughly through his golden hair. When he looked up at me my heart clenched painfully. I carried the death of my lover buried deep down within me, yet it only took the heart broken eyes of my friend to jolt that memory right up to the surface. I swallowed down my own agony and looked up at him with all the honestly I could muster.

"She needs you" I said gently.

He looked down at the floor, refusing to acknowledge the painful words that he knew were true.

"Tam -" I started, pausing until he finally looked up at me.

"She can't face what is to come alone. There is a war coming and she is not going to be ready. Yet they will wield her as their weapon all the same."

He snarled at this but didn't move from where he stood. Seconds later regret and resignation flashed across his face and he gave one curt nod.

I held in a huge sigh of relief.

Calamai was only 48 hours away and then all of Prythian was going to be torn apart when Rhysand claimed Feyre.

Damn Rhysand! I cursed inwardly, knowing full well that this one time it wasn't his fault. I growled internally feeling cheated of this opportunity to hate and blame him. Life was so much easier when I could just fantasise about ripping out his smug, cocky, good-for-nothing throat. But now I couldn't. Not without hurting Feyre and destroying Prythian. Cauldron above! this was complicated. Cheated of a life long feud and forced to defend that arrogant prat all within the same day.