Tore

By luxezone4

So we meet again ? Your closets are overflowing , mine are opening back up. We're both tore up thinking about... More

prelude | the breakdown
one | not today
two | on my way
three |upscale
four | you
five | love me, hate me
seven | party's over.
eight | go figure
nine | high off you
ten | be eazy.
eleven | thinkin' bout you
twelve | optimal
thirteen | put it on the floor
fourteen | another heartbreak.
fifteen | long as you know
sixteen | remember me
seventeen | pressure
eighteen | white roses
nineteen | l u c k y
twenty | song for u
twenty-one | granted
twenty-two | don dada
twenty-three | surrender
twenty-four | sum real
twenty-five | urgency
twenty-six | true
twenty-seven | daddy's home

six | arise

352 14 0
By luxezone4

--
Leigh

I did lash out.

I deserve it.

But he wasn't the cause, it was other people, and he was my only target. Plus the animosity I already held, I was bound to explode.

"Leigh, Mr. Cole would like to see you in his office."

"Can you tell him that I'm busy."

"Uh--um.." I rolled my eyes, I always forget everyone's so afraid of Kaine Cole.

Though he's steel in stature he's practically cotton on the inside—deep, deep inside.

"I don't think I have enough courage to do that and my job is fairly important to me."

"You don't have to. I will, thanks."

As soon as she left, speaking of the devil—he was already on the line calling,

"How may I help you?

"Leigh." He said in a soft-warning voice,

"Cole, I'm busy what do you need?"

"Why haven't you been answering? You're lucky I found it. I wanted you to get my vitamins from the pharmacy."

"My apologies. I'll go get your second prescription and lunch."

I had been so busy organizing everything in the office, I completely forgot.

"That's okay—for the lunch. I have a meeting. You can go to lunch though."

"Are you sure you have a meeting today? In the system it says you're all cleared and I know for a fact you're all cleared."

"Last minute business."

"Fine."
--
As I was walking around the boutiques and shops, pushing Kamdyn in his stroller, I heard my name being called. Scared that I was caught skipping lunch I walked faster.

"Leigh!"

I stopped simply because I was tired and I recognized the persons voice.

"Leigh! Wait up."

I stopped and turned around, LeSane was out of breath crunched over in his knees.

"Woo. You sure can walk in those heels."

"Hello to you too LeSane." I laughed, the fit man, was surely out of of breath.

"I've been trying to get in contact with you—I haven't  seen you since we had lunch."

I've been working so much, I don't even know what's going on in the world. LeSane and I had gotten closer over text after our first meeting last month. However, every time we try to plan—Kaine's tugging at my arm.

"I know, Kaine's been working me like a damn dog and I have the little one."

"Kaine's?"

I shook my head, "Mine."

"Oh, we'll—we can go for a quick coffee, I got 30 seconds. Can lil''man eat whip cream?"

"No, he's not old enough. I wanted to wait until he's 1."

"He got a bottle?"

I shook my head yes.

"Let's do it!" He laughed, we made our way to the Starbucks two building over from LUX.

"The usual for me and an Americano, for him."

"What's your usual?" LeSane asked,

I took a deep breath, "A venti caramel latte with shots of espresso, six pumps of caramel, five pumps of vanilla, four pumps of cinammon dolce, three pumps of butter pecan, and one pump of ameretto."

Our orders came out and we sat next to one another.

Everyone was staring and whispering. Why?

"Would you like to go out on a dinner date or something say, Wednesday?"

"That's in two days, geesh. I wouldn't mind though, I love our time together LeSane."

He blushed, "I love it too, you have such a beautiful aura."

"Aww I-

I felt my earpiece buzz, "Duty calls LeSane, I'll call you later love!"

"How about a movie tonight?"

"LeSane..I'll see. Call me when you get the chance."

"Make ya money ma'!"

I raced down the street! Kaine is on his period and he's being so agitating.

And once I reached his office he was at my throat!
--
Kaine

"What took you so long?" I asked,

"I stopped to talk to LeSane."

"UPS?"

"Yes, why?"

She asked clearly aggravated by my questions but I don't really give a fuck.

"He's just been the talk of the town—a lot lately. I don't know if I trust him around you."

"Why's that any of that your concern?"

We were interrupted by Noa's cooing. I picked him up from the stroller and rocked him gently.

"You are my concern." I whispered,

In my mind she truly is. I have to protect her and Noa.

Again—from myself and others.

"You are my boss. Not my father, not my brother, uncle, cousin, for damn sure not God. You're barely an associate. Damn sure not my man."

"As an employee. You're my concern, you know as an employee of mine, contractually. Did you forget? Let me finish next time."  I said smirking snidely.

I had to admit that what she said hurt me. We haven't been the same since the argument we had and even then the road was rocky.

"Fuck that." She said, shocking me.
..
Leigh

I stood there frozen. The intrusive thoughts won that time..

"In front Noa? Really? Krissy, can you come take Noa to the nursery for Ms. Christian." He asked.

"Yes sir." She took Noa out of his arms.

He started walking menacingly towards me.

"Fuck what? Hm?" He asked rhetorically before continuing, backing me up into a corner, his eyes turned black as steel. He closed the blinds in the process, his breath was even cold.

"You're nothing."

"Nothing?"

"An employee. A subordinate. For you to even think I would want such a disappointment to be my daughter, sister, niece, or woman is idiotic. Ask yourself, why would I want that. You're nowhere near my level and if you disrespect me again it's wraps for you, understand?"

There was an awkward silence.

"Fuck you!" I screamed as tears streamed down my face.

"Fuck you too!"  He screamed childishly, we heard the door click, catching our attention.

"Excuse me, Mr. Cole, is everything alright in here?"

"Yes, everything is fine. Actually, Ms. Christian was just leaving." I gasped audibly, causing Kaine to give me an even colder stare.

I gave him the most evil stare back, the coldest stare anyone could ever give.
..
Kaine

I got chills from how cold and piercing her stare was—it hit my soul.

"What's going on Loretta?"

"Nicolai, still wants that deal and I hear he's trying to get it anyway—by any means necessary. Even if it means manipulating our partners, by kicking down a few people, hiring those you fire, he wants a war over whatever you have. He's going to be at the Annual Gala so be ready."
--
Leigh

I hate coming out of Kaine's office.

I feel like the energy shifts and all eyes are on me.

Gladly, it's a holiday weekend and there's little work to be done and most of it could be done at home.

I usually lounged in the old mail room while hiding from the others.

I wanted to decorate it, plenty of ideas could be processed here, as I was walking out I bumped into Freddie, I tried to turn around because he asks me the same thing everyday!

"Leigh, what's up with you and the boss. Spill the tea, girl. Please tell me—I'm dying to know."

Freddie, a senior graphic designer asked, I rolled my eyes,

"You really wanna know?" I flipped my hair and smiled.

He nodded eagerly, flipping his own hair,

"Nothing. Employer and employee. I don't know why people think that we're a thing."

"Because the folks that's been working here since LUX  started—it was a coincidence that LUX standing for Leigh's Licensing Utilities and Xeroxing. Hm?"

"Stop it, no it's not. It's very coincidental."

"Very. You should ask him."

He raised his over-drawn eyebrow.

"Ooh, girl it's 5:30, time to go!" I heard him scream down the hall way down to the elevator.
--

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.2M 106K 55
Completed.
86.4K 3.7K 52
"𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐠𝐨𝐭 𝐦𝐞 𝐨𝐧 𝐜𝐥𝐨𝐮𝐝 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞, 𝐛𝐚𝐛𝐲 𝐅𝐞𝐞𝐥𝐬 𝐚𝐥𝐦𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐚 𝐝𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐦." - 𝐀𝐏𝐑𝐈𝐋 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟏 𝐒𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐝𝐚𝐭𝐞: 𝟏...
71.4K 2.9K 27
I watch her when she walks in, orders the same drink - same size - and sits at the exact same table every single day. I don't think she notices me, s...
110 26 19
things I wish to say.