Regret The Rejection |✔️

By chrisbardot

NEW EDITION. REVISION IN PROGRESS *amateur writing. Not everyone's cup of tea.* "She turned her pain into pow... More

S Y N O P S I S
00| Werewolf World
01| The calm before the storm✔️
02| Rogue Attack✔️
03| Demoted and powerless✔️
04| Strong survivor✔️
05| Unwanted and rejected ✔️
06| Over and out ✔️
07| Ruin and regret ✔️
08| Daddy issues ✔️
09| Runaway wolf ✔️
10| Tears and reunions ✔️
11| A token of recognition ✔️
12| Nightmare and daydreams ✔️
13| Planning and plotting ✔️
14| Childish Pranks ✔️
15| Tit-for-tat ✔️
16| Present vs Past ✔️
17| Nemesis ✔️
18| Suspicions ✔️
19| Quibble and Quarrel ✔️
21| Mourn ✔️
22| Receptions and Rethoughts ✔️
23| Secrets and Spies ✔️
24| Plans, plots and plot twists ✔️
25| Training ✔️
26| Changes and Challenges ✔️
27| Darkness and Danger ✔️
28| Risks
29| Warning
30| Foes
A/N
31| Battles
32| Foreshadow
F A Q s
PLAYLIST + SEQUEL (complete)
More Stories By Christine

20| Confrontations and Confessions ✔️

139K 5.1K 1.2K
By chrisbardot

***
A guy and a girl can just be friends.
But at one point or another,
they will fall for each other.
May be temporarily,
maybe at the wrong time,
maybe too late
or maybe forever.

***

My eyes fluttered open, only to find myself floating in nothingness. The ground below felt soft and fluffy and the air was filled with the fragrance of the first rain. I raised my hand to feel the air and it felt surprisingly cool.

"Where are we now?" I asked Zara when nothing appeared before me.

"We are waiting for the Moon Goddess to appear."

"You mean we are in heaven right now?" I inquired.

"No. We are in between the land of the living and of the dead. It is here that the Moon Goddess meets her Chosen wolves."

I nodded quietly feeling increasingly curious by the second about everything around me.

Suddenly, the air around us began to shimmer and glow. I watched in amazement as a flash of bright light appeared and a woman in dazzling white stepped out of it.

For a moment, I was too stunned to even react.

"Quit staring and bow!" Zara hissed.

I did a hurried bow at which the woman gave me a kind smile. "Kiara, my child." She said motioning me towards a silver chair that had appeared out of the thin air. I walked towards it and seated myself feeling anxious about what she was about to say.

What if she says I don't deserve any powers? What if she is unhappy about some mischief I did? Perhaps she is angry because I destroyed Nick's boxers... Or maybe because I fed Bella and Ash toothpasty Oreos. Who knows?

"Give it a rest, Ki!" Zara snapped. "She couldn't care less about a gangly teenagers underwear."

"Do you know what she is about to tell us?" I asked her.

"No. Of course not!"

"Well then, it's always better to be prepared for the worst." I told her. She rolled her eyes and was about to argue back when the Moon Goddess stopped us.

"You need not worry about your powers, child for you have one of the rarest powers in the world." She reassured me, a small smile playing at the edges of her lips.

My ears perked up at once to know more about it.

"However," she continued, "It is not of the powers I wish to talk about, rather I want to talk to you the way you need to use it."

My brows furrowed in confusion. What did she mean by that? Surely I would know how to use it. Elena had been teaching me all about them since the past one month. My head was crammed up with the knowledge about special powers and their counter- powers.

Selene shook her head with a small smile. "No Kiara, I know you have learnt all about them. But I want you to use them not for your own good, but for the good of others."

I waited for her to explain herself.

"Every chosen wolf is bestowed with three gifts. And all these gifts might not appear to be like powers, but as you face challenges in life, you'll see that you were meant to have it so that others might be helped by it." She waits a beat. "Your existence itself must be a gift to others."

"You, my child are destined to have three powers. The first being the power of Teleportation. With this power you can travel to any corner of the world in a second."

My eyes widened. My jaw slackened. Within me, I heard Zara gasp.

"The second power you are destined to receive, is the power of a Healer. With the help of this power, you can heal a person's wound, by hastening the process. You might not be able to cure every illness or every fatal injury, but you will help ease their passing. Ease their pain to an extent. Bring them peace."

"The third power is something I had chosen for you since the day you were born. This power is nothing extra ordinary. However, it requires a person who is able to face everything with courage and you are the only one who is worthy of it."

My face must have worn a look of confusion for she continued. "Have you read about reincarnation, Kiara?"

I shook my head. "Am I a—?" I stammered. "Am I a reincarnated version of someone?"

"You're a reincarnated version of you." She smiled. "Just you, my brave child." Something unreadable glimmered in her eyes as she took a step closer. "And just this once, I need you to be brave again."

My stomach knotted with growing apprehension.

"You might not believe you have the courage to face your future, but I know it is in your blood and when the time comes you shall know it too."

"What is this power?" I asked her anxiously.

The Moon Goddess hesitated for a moment and gave me a sad smile. "The power of selflessness."

I blinked rapidly until her words registered in my brain.

The power of selflessness?

That was nothing wonderful or rare or amazing like I imagined. It was I had expected it to be at all.

Selflessness? There was nothing special about that! Suddenly, I felt cheated.

Why me?

Everyone else had something special.
Ashton had amazing powers while Elena had control over the mind and nature. Why did I have to receive a power that had no value of its own?

"You may not realize its value now, but a time will come when you will be grateful for it. Trust me."

I remained silent. It's not as though I had a choice. Suddenly a thought struck me and I turned to her with a question.

"What about my sister? Is she alive?"

"Search for her." she replied. "You won't be sure until you do."

"Aren't you the moon goddess? Forgive my impertinence, but if you don't, how is any one supposed to know?"

"I cannot reach her." Selene replied. "She is beyond my vision."

"So I have to convince others to help me." I reasoned then. "That could be hard. It will not be easy to convince an army to look for someone who's been presumed dead years ago."

"I'm afraid that will have to wait." She said. "For there will be more pressing matters that will inevitably prolong the delay. For now, I can only say she's alive and not in immediate danger."

I frowned. "I don't understand. Is someone else in danger then?"

"I am not certain of the time, but yes, someone will be danger. You might be required to rally your troops and help them. Greyhound won't come for you immediately, he'll try to pick you apart one by one. To defeat him, you must stay united. You have to become the Luna of this pack. You will have to fight for your place because if you don't, it will fall into the wrong hands."

My heart thumped erratically.

Me, a Luna? That was... preposterous.

"My sister.." I tried. "I have to help her."

"At the right time, yes." The Goddess replies. "Things will unfold and reveal themselves to you perfectly. But for now, all I can say is, be patient."

"Has she been gifted with powers too?" I asked. "Just like you visited me, have you met with her? Does she have powers to protect herself, save herself?"

"Your sister doesn't need external powers to save herself. But when the time comes, she will. For now, worry about yourself." She must notice the look in my eyes because she continued. "This may seem harsh to you, but in the grand scheme of nature, everyone has a part to play regardless of how unfair it might seem."

I gritted my teeth and held my silence. I didn't want the Moon Goddess to think I was being too impatient. After all if I was really destined to meet my twin, nothing can stop it from happening.

"You need to go back now." She said looking down as she spoke. I followed her gaze and looked down to see the ground fading under me.

I looked at her one last time, knowing my time was up. I had to go back to earth and live on with my powers.

Wait, how will I contact you if I need your guidance?"

She simply shook her head with a small smile.

"Goodbye and good luck!" were the few last words I heard before I felt myself plummeting into the darkness once more.

* * *

"Is she okay? Why isn't she opening her eyes? Will she have a concussion when she wakes up? Is she in...?" Agitation was palpable in his voice.

"There is nothing wrong with the girl. It's probably because she is nearing her birthday. Nothing to worry about." A professional voice said reassuring the half-crazed Alpha.

"If she is alright, why the heck isn't she showing any signs of reviving?" He inquired.

This guy will be the death of me. He's got an entire pack to look after and he was still wasting his time fussing over me. He needs to set his priorities straight...

I grunted.

Immediately there was shuffling beside me. "Kiara?" Ashton's voice rose another few octaves. "Can you hear me?"

My eyes fluttered open. "Yes." I wanted to say, but my lips barely moved. My throat seemed parched.

"There... I told you she will be well. There's absolutely nothing wrong with her." The professional voice spoke again.

I looked up into a pair of blue eyes which crinkled at me when I smiled at him. I vaguely recalled him as the pack doctor who had treated me when I had crashed into the pack territory a month ago.

He looked quite young and handsome with bright blue eyes and a well built body. I wondered how I had overlooked him earlier. Must be because I was too busy with Ashton fussing over me like a mother hen.

"I need water." I croaked. Embarrassment shot through me as I realised how hoarse I sounded. Not attractive, not attractive at all.

The young doctor placed his hand on my back and helped me upright, while Ashton rushed to get me a glass of water.

It took me a few sips of water to finally get my throat working.

"Kiara are you really okay? Does it hurt any...?"

"You ask me that one more time, and I swear I'll throw the rest of this water in your face." I growled. But there was no bite in my tone. "Yes, Ash. I am fine."

A few of the pack members chuckled while Ashton harrumphed.

"It seems she is perfectly fine. You can all go back now. She needs to rest for a while before I discharge her." The pack doctor ordered the pack members.

I heard the shuffling of feet as many of them rose and quit the room at once. The twins gave me a cheeky grin and were one of the last few to leave.

My gaze fell on the handsome pack doctor beside me.

"What's your name?" I asked. "Thank you for trying to keep Ashton sane. He freaks out easily and calming him must have been no easy feat."

A faint blush appeared on his cheeks as he answered, "I'm Marcus. Marcus Smith."

"I'm Kiara. Kiara Evergreen." I said holding out my hand.

He flashed me another toothy grin. "I know." He said, giving me a glimpse of a cute dimple on his right cheek as he shook my hand.

Someone cleared their throat audibly.

"I think I can keep her company, doctor. You must have many more patients to attend. Let me not detain you further." Ashton breaking into our conversation, his voice frigid as ice.

I rolled my eyes. He was so so easy to read. After all these days of pointedly ignoring me, now he decides to act all miffed and jealous.

Marcus muttered a hurried set of instructions and quit the room awkwardly.

I frowned at Ashton's lack of manners and smiled at Marcus, a little more brightly than I intended when I knew he was watching.

Predictably, his eyes narrowed to slits. "Kiara!"

I looked at my nails pretending I didn't hear him at all.

"Kiara."

I took another sip of water, this time really really savouring the essence of it.

"Kiara."

Another sip.

"KIARA!"

If Ashton had the guts to ignore me for three entire weeks, I had the complete liberty to ignore him for a month...

In two long strides he was at my bed side and forced my chin up. I stuck my tongue out at him and looked away obstinately.

He owed me an apology and there was no way I would forgive him if he didn't say that. The guy really had to try harder to win me back.

"Look at me, Ki!" He snapped, exasperatedly.

"Nope." I refused to meet his eyes.

"Please Ki!" He pleaded with such practiced sweetness that I almost melted.

Keyword - almost.

"Why?" I snarled when I could ignore him no longer. "Why should I even listen to you? Where the hell were you when I wanted to talk to you these past three weeks? Did you even realize how bad I felt when you did this? Do you have any idea...?

"Kiara...I ...er..."

"Don't 'Kiara' me, Ashton! You really have no right to interrupt me. Is this what I get for being your best friend ever since we were born?" I raged. "The disrespect, the fucking audacity to—"

"Kiara, I didn't mean it!" He cried.

I scoffed. "You expect me to believe something as dumb as that?"

He sighed, taking a seat at my bedside. "You need to listen to me."

The scowl on my face intensified.

"Kiara, when I spend time talking to you, not everyone is happy with it."

I blinked. "What?" A part of my anger dissolved. "Who and why do other people have a say in our relationship?"

The tips of his ears reddened.

"People think.... They think that, I er... like you." He said turning his crimson face away from me.

I blinked. I blinked again. And again and again and again.

He likes me? He likes me?

Oh well... People thought he likes me.

"Well, do you?" I asked him with such calmness that even surprised my wolf.

Ashton turned redder as he stood up "You need to rest, Ki. You should...."

I caught his hand. "I asked you something, Ash."

He bit his lip nervously. "Kiara, I ..." He began. "Does it even matter?"

"It does." I replied. "You've always mattered."

I watched as varied emotions flutter across his face. The way his eyes widened, his throat moved as he gulped. With each passing second, the bravado ebbed away, leaving more and more uncertainty behind.

If Ashton didn't feel for me the way I felt for him, it was... okay.

I was no stranger to rejection. Had faced it once, can survive it again. It didn't define me. Not everyone gets to live a happy, romantic life. Some of us, find joys through other ways. Nellie had once taught me this and I had taken that advice to heart.

Perhaps, that was what was written in my fate. Maybe that was what the Moon Goddess meant when she gave me the power of selflessness. Maybe I was supposed to be happy watching others find their happiness.

But then, Ashton's reply ended the dark, downward spiral.

"Kiara, I really like you. I like you very much."

* * *

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

229K 7.8K 65
{Book one of A Different Kind Of Fairy Tale Series} *She pushed herself off of me and sat down in the seat in front of me. "I admit you're insanely a...
5.5K 324 27
What is the destiny of a she-wolf on the run to the human land? . . . At a young age, Alexia lost her parents. With her current status and rumours su...
3.7K 91 21
*Hey guys this is my first time writing. All critiques are welcome! Please comment any suggestions so I can get better! Thanks for reading.* Ari has...
7.9K 221 28
Kiara Blackmoon. A powerful Alpha whose pack was slaughtered not too long ago. Now a rouge, she has been on the run, hunted by the same people who t...