That's Another Story For Later

By arilioness

*This is a Hobbit fanfiction* Iridian is a girl who was orphaned, living with a dwarf. One day, Thorin comes... More

An Adventure?
Moon
Brilliant
Misty Mountains
Wagers
Duel
Reflections
Little Sparrow
Imagination? Or Memory?
An Accident?
Always
Once Like a Brown Owl
Parasites
Not Again
Intoxicating
Imraldis
Diplomat
One of Your Kind
I'm Sorry
Hurt
Revelation
Seeing Double
Naithith
Arrow
Coward?
Come Back To Me
Face to Face
Paralysis
Safe?
Vision or Nightmare
Down Down Down in Goblin Town
The Great Goblin Chase
Out of the Frying Pan, Into the Fire
Running; It Wasn't in the Contract
Spoons
Negotiations
Stay Behind
Lost... Or Am I?
Why Is It Always Spiders?
The Truth Comes Out
Echiuo
Broken
Promise? Promise.
Stars
Reckless
Lippy Lakeman
Lucky Dwarves... As If
Stuck
The Master and the Weasel
Cornered
Erebor Look At Me Now
Man in the Moon
Choices
Hope
That, My Boy, Is a Dragon
Firestorm
Lost and Found
Infinity
The Lonely Mountain
Madness
Searching For the Found
Recurring
Forges
To Arms
To The End
Confrontation
Where Are You Now?
Cheapest Life
One Last Time
This is War
To Save the Durin's
Casualties
Reminiscing
Victory?
Dain Ironfoot
Diplomat
Tomorrow
PTSD
Iron Will
Too Close
Goodbye
Threshold
Return
Training and the In-Laws
Coronation
I Do
Dance of the Soul
Epilogue

Twinkle

4.2K 144 26
By arilioness

*This is a more front view of Iridian. Please enjoy! Also maybe vote for my story...?*

Three days later, we arrived at the gates to the Shire. Night had fallen, and lights were ablaze in little Hobbiton. I slid off Nyx, a small groan escaping my lips at the three hard days of riding. "If this has already got you, you might as well go back home." Dwalin joked. "There'll be a lot more riding after this." I smiled, placing my hands on my hips.

"I'll get used to it. I can't believe you're still trying to get rid of me after three days of me not letting you. I'm ready to reclaim Erebor, and I don't care what you say." I placed my hands on my hips, cocking one out. "Who knows, maybe I'll be a better fighter than you once we encounter something." I raised an eyebrow in mockery.

He clapped my shoulder, and we headed into the Shire, trying to find the house that would host us. As we passed the market, I snagged some food, more like stole it, and continued walking. We passed many Hobbits, receiving just as many strange looks. One Hobbit caught my eye; she was small with blonde hair and a stocky frame, and a cute round face. "Hey Calula! What're you cooking tonight?" Someone joked.

"Chicken!" The small Hobbit answered.

"No doubt the smell will be delicious!" The people in the market cheered. They were joyful folk, as though they never knew what trouble was. After winding our way through Hobbiton, we came to a house at the top of the hill, with a small rune inscribed, glowing blue.

"This is it." Dwalin said. I pushed my black hood down as he rang the doorbell. There was a moment of silence before the door opened, revealing a well kept and tidy home. I felt bad for the Hobbit standing at the door. Odds are it would be destroyed momentarily. The Hobbit in question had huge feet, and red hair, with a striped undershirt, and he looked incredibly disgruntled. He had a patchwork robe over his deep red coat.

I looked at Dwalin, to find his face stoic and serious, and kind of menacing had I not known him like a father. "Dwalin," He bowed slightly. "At your service." He said bluntly. I rolled my eyes at the dwarf. From the Hobbit's mouth came a strange whimpering noise, still shocked at the sight of the two strangers on his doorstep. Two very tall, and one very buff stranger

"Bilbo Baggins, at yours." He said slowly. As he tied his robe, he tightened it at the word 'Baggins' His voice was quiet and polite. Dwalin walked inside, not waiting for the Hobbit named Bilbo to invite him. I made a small noise, but didn't argue. "Uh, do we know each other?" He said, following Dwalin's movements. I followed him, keeping a confident composure, fear of rejection was on the forefront of my mind.

"No." He said again with a blunt tone. "Which way, laddie? Is it down here?" He said while taking off his cloak.

"Is what down where?" Dwalin came toward Bilbo, shoving his cloak into his hands. I left mine on, liking the security and warmth it provided.

"Supper. He said there'd be good food, and lots of it." Dwalin started to walk away, in search of the kitchen. I sighed, and followed him slightly, and then stopped, turning to face Bilbo.

"H-He said? Who said?" Bilbo followed Dwalin, a concerned look in his eyes. I tapped on the Hobbit's shoulder lightly. He started and turned around, setting the dwarf's cloak down.

"I apologize for Dwalin's actions. He's a little blunt from time to time. I also apologize in advance for what will happen."

"I'm sorry but who are you? And what will happen?" He said politely.

"Oh. Right. Iridian. At your service." I bowed slightly. "And it's not my place to tell you what will happen. I apologize. But I will not need supper so please don't worry." I smiled slightly apologetically. Bilbo smiled back.

"Of course. Thank you, Iridan." I followed him to the dining room to see Dwalin settling down already. It seemed Bilbo had a fish for himself. I perched in another chair, pulling out the fruit I had stolen, and munching on it. Bilbo watched Dwalin eat his dinner, a mildly disgusted look at how the dwarf ate. After devouring the flesh from the body of the fish, he bit the head off. Pieces of fish stuck to his dark beard.

He wiped the back of his hand over his mouth. "Very good, this.  Any more?" He mumbled around a mouthful of food. Again I rolled my eyes. I felt bad for the poor Hobbit. His house was about to be raided by a bunch of rowdy dwarves, and he had no idea.

"What? Oh- Y-yes... help yourself." Bilbo said, bringing over a plate of biscuits. Before he set it down though, he hid one behind his back and I raised an eyebrow knowingly. He shrugged slightly. Before he could set down the biscuits, Dwalin's hand, adorned with knuckle dusters, grabbed one and shoved it into his mouth. I took one silently, mouthing a thank you to Bilbo.

"It's just that, um, I wasn't expecting company." He stuttered slightly. The doorbell rang again. His head snapped to the door, eyes wide in alarm.

"That'll be the door." Dwalin stated, more pieces of food in his beard. Bilbo rushed off to open the door, and Dwalin, having devoured the biscuits, went in search of more.

I followed the two, headed more toward the door to see who was appearing this time. The door opened to reveal a short dwarf with a white beard that drooped down until it flicked up at the end. He wore a red robe, with intricate designs in the clothing. Even his shoes flicked up at the end. His nose was awfully large and hooked, practically overhanging his mouth, his eyes twinkling. He seemed familiar from somewhere.

"Balin," The dwarf said, putting his arms out and bowing about as low as Dwalin did. "At your service." He finished. He was not as rude as Dwalin, as he waited outside patiently. This must be uncle Balin of which Dwalin talked of. I saw the resemblance.

"Good evening." Bilbo said in a monotonous voice.

"Yes." Balin said jovially, unaware of Bilbo's tone. "Yes it is, though I think it might rain later. Am I late?" He said, glancing inside the house, and entering, grasping Bilbo's hand.

"Late for what?" Bilbo queried, still very confused. In that moment, Balin spotted Dwalin, his hand inside a jar containing more of the delicious biscuits.

"Oh, ha ha! Evening brother." Balin said, a twinkle in his eyes, walking toward the tall dwarf. Dwalin turned at the voice, and set the jar down, chuckling.

"By my beard, you are shorter and wider than last we met." He met Balin in the living room, and the two circled each other, wide grins upon their faces. I watched in fascination. I never met uncle Balin, but Dwalin talked of him fondly.

"Wider, not shorter. Sharp enough for both of us." He looked up at the dwarf, and winked slightly, as though there was some inside joke somewhere. They started to laugh, placing their arms on each other's shoulders. They paused for a moment, and then smashed their foreheads together. I winced at the cracking sound. Bilbo looked more confused than anything.

"Uh, excuse me; sorry, I hate to interrupt, but the thing is, I'm not entirely sure you're in the right house." The two ignored Bilbo, and headed to the pantry. I coughed lightly, and the two turned around.

"Ah. You must be Iridian. Dwalin's told me much about you." He embraced me lightly, and I smiled slightly.

"Yeah. That's me." The two continued into the pantry, going through what was in there. Bilbo continued to ramble to the dwarves, though they've stopped listening for the most part.

"It's not that I don't like visitors; I like visitors as much as the next Hobbit, but I do like to know them before they come visiting." My sensitive ears started to pick up the conversation of the two brothers.

"Have you eaten?"

"Oh that looks very nice indeed." Balin said, picking up a large share of cheese.

"What is this?" Dwalin said, surveying the strange cheese.

"I don't know, it's supposed to be cheese. It's gone blue." Balin said.

"It's riddled with mold." Dwalin stated, taking the cheese and tossing it past me. I moved my head slightly, and it flew past Bilbo, who was still talking.

"The thing is... um.. the thing is, I don't know either of you, not in the slightest. I don't mean to be blunt, but I uh, but I had to speak my mind. I'm sorry." Bilbo put his hands up, an angry look upon his face. The two paused and glanced at the Hobbit.

Balin smiled once again. "Apology accepted. Now fill it up, brother, don't stint. I could eat again, if you insist." The white haired dwarf handed a tankard to the tall brother, so as it can be filled.

"Dwalin, can I have some?" I inquired lightly. His head shook.

"Not for you. Not yet. Elves can't hold liquor."

"But I'm part dwarf too." I huffed, crossing my arms. In the distance, the doorbell rang again, followed by a groan from Bilbo. Dwalin made his way past me, ruffling my hair lightly. I followed them to see the door being opened again. There were two dwarves this time.

One had long blonde hair, braided into parts, with a full beard. His mustache drooped over the corners of his mouth, braided as well, with beads in them. He wore a fur vest over his fur tunic, and more patterns in his coats and trousers. They consisted of browns and earthen tones. His eyes were blue-green. He had weapons on his back, his arm holding something else. He had something of a smirk on his face.

The other dwarf, contrasted him greatly. He was tall for a dwarf, they both were, but the other was taller. He had royal blues, and longer coats on. His black hair hung to his shoulders. He had brown gauntlets, holding weapons, that looked to be arrows, a bow, and a couple swords. His brown eyes were enchanting, and I found myself falling into them. His face though, had very little facial hair, only a stubble, which looked attractive on his face. His face was pulled into a frown, a smoldering look almost. He was handsome, I couldn't deny.

His eyes flickered over to me, and I looked away quickly, scolding myself for staring at him. He turned his gaze back to the Hobbit, as Dwalin gave me a knowing look. I glared at him, and watched the interaction once again.

"Fili." The blond one said, smiling slightly.

"And Kili." The brunet said, his face frowning slightly.

"At your service." They said together bowing. When they came up, the one called Fili seemed to have more of a smirk on his face. Kili on the other hand, had a wide close-lipped smile, the corners of his mouth crinkling, and his eyes twinkled with some glint I couldn't figure out. 

I wanted to figure it out.  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

674 24 11
A THORIN OAKENSHIELD x OC FANFIC Blair Baggins, sister to Bilbo Baggins, has lived in The Shire her whole life, considering what's beyond the border...
101K 3.9K 23
Heart Of A Warrior ➝ The Hobbit [Kili] ✓ 2014 ~ Three years ago, when Alissa's village was attacked and raided by a fearsome pack of orcs, her fami...
74.6K 1.9K 32
The quality is bad lol, but it was very important to young me, so no hate, pls. Nymeria just wanted a quiet life in the woods, alone. But somehow fa...
946 31 22
Kíli x reader/oc (will write a Fíli x reader/oc POV soon) Summary: Magic was real, but it came at a price. So when two girls ended up in the one plac...