No reply

By existentials

Paul had always looked up to the most intimidating teddy boy in town, John Lennon. They were best friends, ba... More

Chapter 1
Chapter two
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter ten
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Epilogue
Awkward author question
New story info
Hi

Chapter 7

6.9K 316 155
By existentials

____________

Part seven

____________

As soon as practice was over Paul dashed out of the house, mumbling a quick goodbye and sneezing two or three times.

"Alright then, see you lot later." John said, running out of the door to see that Paul was already a couple feet ahead, walking rather fast. He wanted to say something...it had been a while since they even talked. But at the same time, he was nervous. Would they just end up having another argument? When did that become so common?

Oh yeah, when Paul kissed him.

"Hey McCartney, wait up!" John yelled, quickening his pace. Paul stopped abruptly and stood completely still, looking ahead. John caught up with him and put his hands in his pocket, just in case they were shaking or he had the ridiculous urge to touch Paul or something of the sorts. "What?" Paul asked bitterly, staring at the ground as they walked. John kicked a pebble on the sidewalk, watching it bounce ahead of them.

"What're you doing now that practice is over?" he asked casually, as if everything was perfectly normal between them. Paul shrugged and coughed. "Hopefully going home and getting some sleep, I feel like hell." He said, running a hand through his dark hair. His button-like nose was a reddish color, his hazel doe eyes were tired and had a lack of color. "You look like it too, mate." John sighed and looked away, fearing Paul would be uncomfortable if he were staring at him curiously.

"I'll probably go to the pub or something, anywhere that isn't Mimi's house." He said, half-hoping Paul would offer for him to come to his place. "You'll have to go back eventually." Paul said in his know-it-all way. "I'm not going back until she drags me by the ear. The woman's crazy." John replied. All of a sudden Paul stopped walking, and John didn't notice until he never heard his reply. He turned around and Paul was looking at him in a strange way, like he was trying to figure something out.

"What's with you?" John asked. Paul shook his head unbelievably, his lips pressed into a line. "I was going to ask you the same thing, John. Why aren't you insulting me? Why aren't you calling me names and making me feel awful about myself? You're such a moody bastard. You hate me one minute and suddenly we're friends again. You need to pick one." He said, shifting the entire mood of the conversation.

And to think he said John was the moody one. John opened his mouth to speak, but shut it quickly, not knowing what to say. "Are you going to answer me any time soon?" Paul asked, aggravated. John shrugged and looked at the ground, kicking another pebble so he would have sort of a distraction while he was talking.

He felt awful. He had acted horribly to Paul, but with good reason. Was he supposed to apologize, or hope Paul would understand and try to move on? Paul tapped his foot impatiently, coughing a couple times. It sure was cold outside, and John thought he should try to hurry this so Paul doesn't become sicker than he already his. "Listen Macca, I know I overreacted just a tad bit the other day, but wouldn't you do the exact same thing?" He said. That was the closest he get to an actual apology, so Paul should be grateful just to get that.

There was a very unnerving silence as an answer, so John spoke again, quieter this time. "I don't want to feel so awkward around someone who's supposed to be me best mate, can we just forget this?" He pleaded, looking back up at his younger friend.

Paul nodded slowly, bewildered by seeing this side of John once again. It seemed that he may have been permanently changed when John smiled and yelled. "Alright, let's go get piss drunk!"

-

___________

Paul's P.O.V

___________

The bar was full of loud, drunk, and annoying people. It wasn't the nicest place in town either, but that didn't matter to John or I right now.

I was still being cautious of him, watching what I did or said. He was acting normal right now, but I feared it could change any moment, if I messed up. I took another sip of my drink before making a face. "This is awful." I stated, sitting it back down. John shrugged, finishing the rest of his in one drink. "Maybe it just tastes bad to you, since you're sick." He said.

I sighed and looked around the bar, feeling bored. It's not that I wasn't happy about spending time with John again, I just had such a headache and could barely get a full sentence out without a coughing fit that pretty much the whole bar could hear. I would much rather be in bed with a cup of tea and a big warm blanket. "Hey John?" I asked, tapping my fingers on the bar, watching them intently to avoid his eyes.

"What?" He replied, not paying much attention. I looked to see what had him so distracted, and I should have known before I even looked. The girl he was staring at was a blonde, her hair styled like Brigitte Bardot. She was fit, I'll give her that. I snapped my fingers in front of John's face, laughing when he jumped and cursed under his breath.

"I was asking you something, wanker." I joked as John rolled his eyes. "Get on with it, then." He said, stealing one last glance at the blonde beauty and turning his attention to me. I suddenly became serious again, wondering if I should really ask it when he was in such a good mood. It might be a better idea to ask him later, like when we were alone. I didn't want to upset him right now.

I faked a smile and nudged him with my elbow. "I was just uh..going to see if you had noticed she's been staring at you this whole time." I said.

You know, I should be an actor, that actually sounded somewhat believable.

John didn't seem to notice that I changed my mind about what to say, since his whole face lit up instantly. He looked over at her and back to me, a pleading look on his face. "You wouldn't mind walking home alone, would you?" He asked, causing me to laugh. "You think you can hook up with someone like that? Way out of your league, Johnny." I said, shaking my head at him in a playful way. He seemed to consider what I said, and as he thought, a sly grin grew on his face. "Wanna bet? If I can get 'er in me bed, you have to pay up." He said, raising an eyebrow at me. I rolled my eyes as John had done earlier and stuck out my hand to shake his. "Alright then, go for it." I snickered, knowing John could never bed a beauty like her.

But then I felt a sickening feeling in my stomach, one that I've felt way too many times for my liking in the past two days. I had caught a cold and a stomach bug, both of them had come from Mike who had caught it at school. I groaned dramatically and made a face. "I'll be right back." I told John before I stood up and walked quickly to the small, empty bathroom in the back of the pub.

I didn't really have any plans for today, but if I did, they wouldn't include throwing up the contents of my stomach in a disgusting restroom while John tried to hook up with some Bardot look alike.

I heard footsteps nearing me, the familiar sound of John's boots. I retched into the toilet, coughing and sputtering with an embarrassed expression. The footsteps stopped somewhere behind me and I stood up shakily, wiping my mouth off. I closed my eyes briefly, feeling lightheaded with an empty stomach. "I didn't know you were that sick." John commented offhandedly.

"Why the hell did you follow me to the bathroom, anyways?" I asked in an amused way, walking over to the sink and attempting to rinse out my mouth the best I could. "Can't a man take a piss without being questioned?" He replied. I shook my head at him and chuckled a bit. "Anyways, I think I'm just going to go home, let me know how it goes with that bird." I said, walking back out into the main room of the pub, towards the door.

I felt a tug on the sleeve of my jacket and I was forced to turn around, facing John. He didn't say anything, he just motioned for me to keep walking while he walked alongside me. I didn't understand why he would just give up the opportunity to possibly have a good shag with that girl back there, maybe he just chickened out and thought he would be rejected. Whatever his reason, apparently he was set on leaving now too. When I sent him a questioning glance he looked away, lighting a cigarette from his coat pocket. A few seconds later a thin trail of smoke left his lips as he said "Figured I'd make sure you got home alright." That didn't exactly sound like something John would say.

"Why?" I asked, feeling like I was asking myself more than John. I was beginning to have a headache, another annoying symptom I've had on and off lately. I hope this stupid thing passes soon. "Well, I wouldn't be a very good friend if I let you go alone, now would I? You still look like hell, by the way." He said, adding the last part quickly, like he had to balance the nice comment out with an insult. "Plus, that girl back there wasn't that good looking anyways." I laughed and elbowed him gently, not bothering to answer to that.

The rest of the walk back was silent until we reached my house. I was more than relieved to be only a few minutes away from the warmth of my bed. "Maybe she's still there, you know." I said. He shrugged and let his cigarette fall to the ground before he stomped it out. "I don't care much about it anymore, to be honest. I'm just going to try to get into Mimi's house without her seeing me. I don't need another lecture about being out late." He said.

John was always complaining about his aunt, when in reality he needed someone like that in his life. At least Mimi tried to keep him out of trouble, even if she could get a little annoying about it.

"Good luck with that. Night John." I said, opening the door to my house. Mike was at a friend's house and dad wouldn't be back until tomorrow, so I had the whole house to myself for now. Too bad that time will be spent being sick and in bed.

"Later Paul." John said, turning to walk the other way. I watched him until he was out of sight and then I went inside, heading straight to my room, hopefully to sleep.

_________________________

Well, that chapter was longer than usual. Hmm, what was Paul going to ask John? And why would John pass up that opportunity he had?

I guess you'll find out later, my friends.

Anyroad, thanks to anyone who reads and if you like this story I would love if you left a vote or a comment. Thanks!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.1K 704 12
This new world is pure hell, although heavenly love emerges from it. Even if it is unexpected, it is meant to be. (Contains spoilers S2 | Chishiya x...
1.1M 59.4K 38
Millie Ripley has only ever known one player next door. Luke Dawson. But with only a couple months left before he graduates and a blackmailer on th...
35.9K 2.4K 44
Under Heavy Editing On request, it's here. Twins. In which Namjoon and Hoseok are twin brothers. But their is something they both don't know. What...
1.1M 37.2K 70
HIGHEST RANKINGS: #1 in teenagegirl #1 in overprotective #3 in anxiety Maddie Rossi is only 13, and has known nothing but pain and heartbreak her ent...