The Hockey Girl

By JaydeHyatt

Alara Kinkaid is a sixteen year old, year eleven student at Condor High. This girl is all about ice hockey. I... More

The Hockey Girl (Prologue)
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10

Chapter 11

6.7K 260 90
By JaydeHyatt

“You’re sure about this?” I asked Hilary. I couldn’t help the nervous edge in my voice, I felt a little exposed. Hilary, naturally, had decided on my wardrobe for the party we were attending tonight – she’d chosen a dress. It’s not that I hate dresses, I even own a few, I simply don’t make a habit of wearing them.

Hilary proceeded to look me up and down, from head to foot; I squirmed under her scrutinising gaze. It was moments later when her features softened and her smile brightened the room. “You look beautiful Ari.” She deemed. She nodded, satisfied with the outcome of her efforts.

“Why the dress though Hilary?” I asked, curious.

She turned back towards my closet and riffled through my shoes as she responded, “Because it’s warm out tonight.” She said.

I laughed at her, “And the real reason is…?” Hils wasn’t the sort of person to run her fashion on the weather alone.

Hils sighed, “You know me too well.” She conceded with a smile. I grinned.

“Because the guys told me about Georgia giving you a rough time the other day…” She explained. “Don’t frown at me like that Ari, you know I get protective.” She defended.

I smiled at my friend, “Hils, I have an entire team of over-protective guys on my side not to mention that I can protect myself, especially when it comes to Georgia and her sheep-like friends. I appreciate you trying to help me with her but I honestly don’t care about it. She’s hated me for so long now that it doesn’t affect me at all.”

Hils smiled at me, “I know that, you fool.” She teased with a smile. “Can you please just trust me though? You look so pretty in that dress! Georgia will have a fit.”

I laughed at my friend’s words, “Georgia having a fit is worth anything.” I admitted.

Hils grinned broadly; I swear the girl was moments away from a ‘happy-dance’. “What about shoes?” I asked her.

Hils mouth formed an ‘O’ shape and luckily for me the happy-dance was avoided when she turned back to my shoe collection. Moments later and she pulled out a pair of silver-studded black heels. “You can walk in these, right?”

I nodded, smirking. Thank God for mum forcing me into what she’d labelled, ‘heel-hell’. She’d always said that as much as she adored heels, she hated them and so one day she’d taught me to walk in them - a full day of heel bootcamp. I’d hated it at the time - walking in heels for hours on end hurt. But looking back on it, I valued the time we spent together that day just as mum and seemed to enjoy it at the time. 

“You can put the shoes on later.” She dictated, “now, put that bracelet on and come with me, I must fix your hair.” She ordered, referring to a silver clasp-bracelet on my bedside table.

Hils led me into my bathroom and sat me down on the chair before she proceeded to use a pre-heated curling iron to manipulate my hair to meet her standards.

“What about you, aren’t you going to change?” I asked her. She was currently wearing a pair of my black sweat pants and a white singlet.

“Of course I am, I brought it all with me. I’ll need to borrow some shoes though, is that okay?” She asked hopefully.

I smiled and nodded easily. She knew I didn’t mind her borrowing things.

When she’d finished with my hair, Hilary made me suffer through fifteen minutes of her applying makeup to my face. 

“Can I see what I look like now?” I asked Hilary hopefully.

“No.” She deadpanned.

I groaned. I hadn’t seen what I looked like even once – that made me nervous. “Are you sure I won’t be overdressed?” I asked.

Hilary shook her head adamantly, “believe me love, there will be girls there wearing things suitable to a night club, and not the nice sort.” I cringed as I put the heels on.

“Ew.”

“Yes, ‘ew’.” Hilary agreed before she ushered me into the kitchen to wait for her to change. I, naturally, grabbed a spoon from the draw and proceeded to the pantry to attack my Nutella supply. 

Moments later, there was a knock at the door. I regretfully abandoned my Nutella and walked toward the front door. By the time I reached the door, I was incredibly proud that I hadn’t stumbled even once, I found Kaleb waiting patiently on the other side.  

“Hey Kaleb, did you walk round?” I asked when I didn’t notice his car in the driveway. He didn’t live far from here.

“Yeah. You look great Alara.” He complimented me, smiling.

“Heh. Thanks. Does it look weird?” Kaleb had always been one for brutal honesty.

Kaleb stepped inside the door before truly scrutinising my appearance. “It doesn’t look weird.” He determined. “I’m not used to you in dresses but it’s not weird just a very pretty different.”

“Thank you.”

“Is Hils still getting ready?” He asked.

“No, I’m ready!” Hils spoke from down the hall. She walked over to Kaleb and kissed his cheek warmly before turning to me with a grin, “I told you not to worry, silly!” She scolded.

Hils wore dark-blue, high-waisted skinny jeans, a black floral patterned evening top and black heels. Her hair was twisted into a messy bun. She looked brilliant, as usual.

“You’re beautiful.” Kaleb complimented Hilary. She couldn’t hide her smile. However confident Hilary was, she loved it when Kaleb complimented her because she knew he always meant what he said.

“Thank you.” She said just as the doorbell rang once again. “That must be Vasic. That man’s timing is perfect!” Hilary declared. “Kaleb, can you let him in please? I just have a couple more things to do before we go.” She said as she grabbed my hand and led me back to my room.

 “What’s wrong Hils?” I asked her as she sat on my bed.

“Nothing at all.” She promised with a smile. “I’m just trying to decide whether I want you to bring a clutch.” Her face turned thoughtful and I laughed aloud at my friend’s antics. She’d become so serious over a purse?

“Don’t laugh! This is serious.” She deemed and I vainly attempted to stifle my laughter.

“I don’t think you’ll need money and I’ll bring your phone with me in case of a call. I’ll keep it in my pocket. How’s that sound?” I shrugged. It didn’t bother me; it wasn’t like I had anywhere to put it.

“Oh, and I’m staying over tonight. Hope you don’t mind.” Hilary informed me.

“Yeah, that’s fine.”

“Alright, let’s go see how Vasic reacts to your party apparel.” Hils said, leading me out of my room and toward the kitchen, where the boys would undoubtedly be.

Sure enough, we were correct – they were stealing my Nutella.

“Hey, hands off the Nutella!” I scolded jokingly. Both Kaleb and Vasic turned to face us with devilish grins. Vasic’s however, upon seeing me, faltered. His mouth formed an ‘O’ shape.

“Do I really look that bad Vas?” I asked, self-conscious.

Vasic walked over to me and when he stood in front of me, he looked me up and down. It seemed like ten minutes had passed before he reacted. He presented the room with his signature ‘Vasic smirk’ before turning to Hilary, “Geez Hil, what’d you do to Ari? It looks like a monster!” He joked.

“Vasic D’Angelo! You take that back!” Hilary scolded causing Vasic to laugh.

Vas turned his attention back to me and smiled, “You look really beautiful Ari, Nate won’t know what to do with you.” He said softly.

“Thanks Vas.”

He nodded in response before throwing his arm over my shoulder and turning us to face Kaleb and Hilary, “shall we leave?” He asked.

                                                            __________

“I couldn’t help but notice that you came in with Vasic and not Nate, Alara, trouble in paradise perhaps?” Georgia spat out. She’d attacked me as soon as Vasic had left to find us both a drink.

She, of course, was one of those girls Hilary had been referring to earlier, she didn’t leave much for the imagination; shorts that might as well be underwear – in fact, I wouldn’t rule out that possibility – and a bra, yes, a bra. I forced myself to stare into her eyes only – a feat which a great many guys were failing at.

“Georgia, what a pleasure it is to see you again.” I said, smiling. It always annoyed her even more when I was polite and by the looks of the plastic cup in her hand, she’d already had at least one drink of who-knows-what.

Georgia shot me a withering look as her two minions, Clair and Tessa – who were equally as scantily clad as their ring leader, joined her side.

“Ah, so I’m right, there is trouble?” She laughed jauntily, “I knew it wouldn’t last long. How could someone such as Nate put up with someone as…,” she paused to look me up and down, “low class as you.” She finished. I laughed, outright.

“Me, low class?” I questioned. Either she truly was drunk or she couldn’t see properly. “Okay Georgia, if you say so.” I turned to walk away, not in the mood for an argument when a hand closed around my wrist and jerked me back around.

“How dare you walk away from me?” Georgia spat, apparently outraged.

“Please remove your hand.” I used the most reasonable tone I could muster. She was seriously trying my patience.

Georgia let go of my wrist but continued to stare at me with hatred. I would never understand this girl as long as I lived.

“You really don’t think you’re low class?” She questioned me. Her features portrayed her seriousness.

I looked around noticing that a crowed had begun to gather around us. Sighing, I said, “no Georgia, I don’t think I am low class.” I response was honest.  

She and her two sheep scoffed at my response.

“Please! You’re a hockey player for God sake! Absolutely zero guys like you because you’re ugly and you only have one friend!” She listed.

I smirked.

“Why are you smiling?” She questioned. “You’re a loser!”

“Georgia, my being a hockey player doesn’t make me low class, it makes me a sportsperson. If zero guys like me, that is perfectly fine, I don’t need that to be happy with my life. I only have one friend? It’s true that I only have one female friend but I have a whole team of friends in addition to that and I couldn’t be more blessed to have those people. So if those things make me a loser, I couldn’t care less.”

“How dare you!” Clair scoffed.

Georgia raised her hand, silencing Clair. “You’re ugly, you have no feminine qualities. You might as well be a guy!” Georgia smiled with an air of superiority; she thought she was the Queen Bee.

I bit my tongue. Did she not see me standing in front her in a freaking dress and heels, what exactly did she consider femininity, a lack of virginity?

“She looks like a girl to me, a very beautiful girl too.” I turned to face the source of the interruption, the man standing at my side.

“Are you blind?” Tessa questioned him.

Vasic smirked as he placed his arm in its usual position over my shoulders, “I have 20-20 vision actually.”

Tessa appeared to be confused. I have to force back laughter.

“You said that Alara was low class because she’s a hockey player? Does that make me low class too? What about Nate, Georgia, is Nate low class as well?” Vasic questioned.

Georgia looked similar to the cornered prey of a lioness. “Of course not.” Georgia answered.

“Hmm… A little contradictory don’t you think?’ Vas wondered aloud. “Here’s the deal Georgia, Alara isn’t low class, she has plenty of friends, real ones too, she isn’t ugly or disliked either so just drop it.”

“Not a single guy likes her!” Georgia declared, continuing her fight.

“So? What does that matter?” I questioned.

“It means everything for a female to have guys like her.” Georgia informed me. “The majority of our year likes me.” She said proudly.

“There’s a difference between them liking you and just wanting to sleep with you.” Vas said.

I grabbed his arm, “That’s enough Vas.”

To my surprise, Georgia smirked, “But who would want to sleep with Alara? No one.” She answered.

“Oh, whatever.” I said. “Vas seriously, can we just drop it?”

Vas turned to look at me and smiled warmly, “sure.” He said, leading me away from Georgia and into the crowd that had formed to witness our argument.

 “At least she has a mother! Where’s yours, Alara?” Tessa shouted. I stopped in my tracks. Tessa had never been afraid to say anything, no matter how cruel. The crowd quietened immediately and a lot of people stared at me with pitying eyes.

Vasic spun around immediately, “How could you even-” He shouted accusingly.

I gripped his wrist, “Vas, leave it.” I told him as I turned to face Georgia and her sheep. My emotions were running rampant but I refused to show I was hurt.

“I may not have my mother anymore, Tessa but that doesn’t make me any less of a person than anyone else in this room.” I informed her before turning my back on the three, Vasic at my side.

Vas led me into an empty kitchen. He lifted me up onto the counter before sifting through the cupboards. He found the glasses and poured me a glass of tap water. He handed it to me and I smiled gratefully.

“You okay?” He asked.

I nodded. It may have been a despicable thing to say but I needed to hear it. It would be perfect for someone to use against me in a game, to upset me. The truth was that my mother had passed away but I wouldn’t allow that to weaken me. She wouldn’t want me to be weak.

“I’m okay Vas.”

“Good.” He said. His solemn expression quickly brightened and he became Vasic once again, don’t worry about her, she was just pissed because you look beautiful. Now, how about a dance?” He asked, offering me his hand.

I laughed, “Vas, you don’t dance.” Whenever he was asked to dance at parties, Vas would always politely decline the offer.

He smirked, “Correction. I don’t dance with anyone but you, Ari. You should feel very special, do you feel special?” He questioned.

I laughed at his antics, “I feel very special Vas.” I answered, accepting his offered hand. Vas helped me down from the counter and led me through the house and into a cleared out space where teenagers were dancing.

Vas gripped my wrists in his strong hands and raised my arms into the air with a broad grin. “Let’s see what you’ve got Hockey Girl.”

I laughed once again and smiling, I danced with my best friend.

A couple of songs later, I turned my head at the sound of a cough, “Sorry I’m late.” Nate said. I pulled myself from Vas’s grip, who currently held my waist, and smiled at Nate.

“It’s okay. You only missed one of Georgia’s tantrums.” I informed him.

“Hey man.” Vas greeted Nate with a grin. “Don’t worry about the Georgia thing though, Ari and I sorted it.

“What happened?” Nate asked. As Vas informed Nate, I took the opportunity to take in his appearance. Nate wore dark brown, worn-in combat boots, mid-blue jeans and a patterned long sleeve shirt. He looked good. Really good.

“Shit, she really said that?” Nate questioned. I assumed they were talking about Tessa’s comment.

“Don’t worry about it Nate, Vas helped me with it.” I said, trying to ease his obvious annoyance at Tessa’s words.

“Oh. I see.” Nate said. I couldn’t believe my eyes. It was Vas that Nate was looking at with annoyance. He couldn’t be jealous, could he?

“I’ll leave you two to it.” Vas said with a grin, “Behave now.” He warned jokingly.

“C’mon, let’s go for a walk, yeah?” I suggested to Nate.

He nodded and I grabbed his hand, leading him through the crowd of dancing bodies and out through the side door of the house. Tate Kershaw – the guy who had thrown the party – had a very wealthy family; their large house was on hectares of land. Tate and I had been good friends when we were kids so I knew the lay of the land, so to speak.

I led Nate through the beautiful, fairy-light-lit garden and to a hidden seat in the middle of the beautiful space. We sat down and I looked around, admiring the scenery. It had been a very long time since I’d been here.

“So, Vasic had your back huh?” Nate broke the silence.

“Yeah, he helped me out.” I answered honestly.

Nate clenched his jaw and nodded his head slowly, “I see.”

“Are you jealous?” I questioned.

His eyes widened giving him the appearance of a deer caught in headlights.

I took Nate’s hand in my own and smiled at him when his eyes met mine. “Nate, jealousy is for people who don’t have something. Is there something you don’t have?” I questioned.

“I don’t know if I have her.” He answered.

“Have you asked her?” I prodded.

“Do I have you Ari?” Nate asked with a seemingly growing uncertainty.

“I don’t know, do you?” I asked, smiling slightly.

Nate smiled at me. “I was going to wait a little while longer before I asked you but I suppose now suits.” Nate gripped one of my hands in one of his and brought up his other strong, tanned hand to brush him thumb over my cheek. “Alara Kinkaid, can I call you my girlfriend, will you be mine?” He asked me.

I smiled warmly at the kind man in front of me and nodded my head in answer. Nate grinned before moving his face closer to my own. I closed my eyes as Nate’s soft lips met my own. My free hand moved to Nate’s strong thigh as he kissed me softly.

We pulled apart moments later. It was a short kiss, a sweet kiss. I opened my eyes to see Nate sporting a broad grin. I smiled back at my now, boyfriend. This man had no idea how kind he was or how sweet he was. I knew I was lucky.

I leaned forward to kiss him once more before pulling away, once again with a smile. I stood up from the seat and took a few steps around the garden; I’d always love it here because it was so beautiful at night. “This place is beautiful.” I said, sharing my thoughts with Nate.

“Yes, you are.” He said. I turned to face him, a small laugh escaping my mouth.

“What?” He questioned. “Can I help it if my girlfriend is the most beautiful girl I’ve ever seen?”

I laughed at that.

“Seriously, that dress looks great on you and your legs, they’re…” Nate trailed off and I laughed further. I made a mental note to thank Hilary.

Nate stood up from his position on the seat. “Would you care to dance?” He asked me with a smile.

“There’s no music…” I stated obviously.

“We don’t need music.” Nate informed me.

He was right, we didn’t need the music – we danced, laughed and talked for what seemed like hours, hidden in the beauty of that secret garden. 

Author's notes: Please comment your opinions ofthe chapter guys, I'd really appreciate it. Constructive criticism and suggestions are always welcome! The image off to the side (if it worked) is of Alara's dress. Ignore those shoes and the clutch. 

Hope you enjoyed the chapter :) 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.2M 304K 50
Ryan wasn't expecting to end up with the captain of the hockey team as a roommate, and she certainly didn't expect the initial sexual tension between...
21.6M 583K 49
Grace wants to prove herself by making the men's hockey team at her new school. Will a rivalry with the captain - or an attraction between them - get...
73.4K 2.9K 43
All Rémy Miller has ever known are lies until someone is able to give him the life changing truth. When studying at Harvard University, his path unex...
20.2K 452 33
Becca and Will were once best friends. From immediately clicking at the school bus stop at five-years-old, to bonding over their love for hockey and...