MaNan: Breaking Free

By pikachu2602

| COMPLETED | Cover credits- @parthxlife Manik Malhotra is a 23 year old, London returned, street smart guy w... More

1|Going back home
2|Relations
3|The Thakkars'
4|Heart to heart
5|Nandini Murthy
6|The Bodyguard
7|The Pursuit Of Happiness
8|Break-up
9|Complications
10|Falling Down
11|The Game
12|Going Places
13|Bonding
14|Giving in
15|Attractions
17|I am here
18|Revealed
19|On the edge
20|Upturned
21|Daggers
22|Jumbled up
23|Heated
24|Jigsaw
25|Rising
26|The Chase
27|Rebuilding
28|Beginnings
29|The Competition
30|Bring It On
31|0-100
32|Next step
33|The Unexpected
34|Countdown
35|Fab 5
36|Confrontations
37|Suspicions
38|Truth
39|Last straw
40|Melancholy
41|Departed
42|Showdown
43|Breaking free
44|Take two
45|Old flame
46|Jitters
47|Demons
48|Letting go
49|Realizations
50|Afeemi
51|Embracing
A Peek Into The Future (1)
A Peek Into The Future (2)

16|Jingle bells

6.1K 521 34
By pikachu2602

Manik's POV

"Okay, now! I know you love cooking Nandu. But why did you suddenly decide to make gajar ka halwa today? You don't even like it." Jenny squeals with a smug expression. She is literally jumping up and down in happiness.

"Um..I..I..wanted t..to try something new?" Nandini stutters.

"Yeah, sure." She looks at me, as if trying to say something, but doesn't.

"You two finish your dinner. I am calling it a night." She gives a peck on Nandini's forehead and mutters something into her ears, which makes her blush. After giving me a wink, Jenny goes upstairs.

There is an awkward silence between the two of us. She is looking here and there.

"This is really good!" I say and her eyes snap to me.

"Thanks. I wasn't sure you would like it. Indian dishes are not really my forte." She mutters.

Is this what she was nervous about? Whether I would like her dish or not?

"I really like it."

"I wanted to prepare something with rajma, but I couldn't understand the recipe. So I made this." She rambles.

Hang on. Rajma and gajar ka halwa are two of my favourite dishes. Did she actually put in all this effort for me?

"Did you cook for me in particular?" I am sure she did but I still ask.

"Um..no. I was getting bored. So I decided to experiment with an Indian dish."

"You weren't getting bored. We were watching TV when you suddenly sent me off so you could make this lovely dish for me." I smirk, looking into her eyes.

She turns a bright shade of red and starts looking at her hands with a lot of interest.

Nandini's POV

My heart is beating like crazy and I don't know what to say to him.

"I really appreciate it, Nandini. Thank you." He says after a minute.

"Don't give yourself so much importance." I roll my eyes at him.

"I am not. You are." His smugness is unnerving.

"Just finish it off and leave." I say, not being able to bear this anymore and get up to leave.

"Nandini, please come back?" He calls after me. I turn around and automatically, my feet carry me back.

"So, since when do you love cooking?" He asks.

"Since ages. Dad was my inspiration. You know, as a kid, I would follow him around the kitchen, irritating him more than helping. But he never complained. He always let me do whatever I wanted to. I learnt cooking from him. He was just awesome!" I gush.

As I think about my childhood, memories of dad come flooding into my head and I feel a strong twisting in my stomach. It's his birthday a day after Christmas.

"You really miss your dad." He states.

"Yeah." How I would give anything to be with him. "I couldn't know him too long, but I can say he was the best father."

"Hey! My dad was the best!" He complains like a child.

"Okay, okay. One of the best, then." I smile.

"Yeah." He laughs. "Can I have some more of this?"

"Sure." I pass the bowl to him.

After finishing more than half the bowl, Manik finally gets up, burping.

"Ew." I make a face.

"Sorry. You can't really blame me, though." He winks.

"Okay. Good night!"

"Um..Nandini?"

"Yeah?"

Uncertainly, he takes a few steps towards me. When I don't move back, he comes even closer.

The reaction is instant. My heart starts racing and I think I can feel my hormones coursing through my blood. Very slowly, he places his hand on my cheek.

"We can't prevent the inevitable from happening. All we can do is live our life with the truth and try to be happy." He murmurs, looking straight into my eyes. The intensity of his gaze is overwhelming my senses. "Do you understand?"

I nod, not breaking eye contact.

"Good." He mutters and shocking me, engulfs me into a hug.

His hands are tightly wrapped around me and slowly, he lowers his head to the crook of my neck. I can feel his hot breath on my skin as his nose skims on it.

After a moment, I place my arms around his shoulder and he squeezes me closer. My heart has gone berserk and I feel like every cell in my body is jumping out of its boundary in glee.

After a minute, he pulls away and my mind screams in protest.

"You are so beautiful." He places a finger on my chin and murmurs huskily. His eyes are fixed on my mouth and his gaze is sending tingles through my body. He gently runs his thumb across my lower lip and I feel a slight pressure build up at my core.

Slowly, he leans down to my lips. His breath is hot on my face and our lips are just inches apart. I close my eyes, waiting to taste his mouth.

Suddenly, we hear footsteps behind us and he quickly pulls back. I turn around to see a servant retreating into the kitchen.

Our beautiful moment got fucked!

We stare at each other in silence. He looks deep in thought, as if he is trying to figure something out.

"Good night!" He croaks and leaves instantly.

He hugged me. And he was going to kiss me. If only that servant had not arrived..

I am lying in bed, wide awake. Manik came so close to me today. And I didn't push him away. I had wanted him closer. I want to feel his arms around me again. I vividly remember how he was about to kiss me, how the anticipation was making me weak in the knee. His body, tightly pressed against mine felt divine. Nobody has ever held me the way he did, with so much...passion.

Eventually, I fall asleep thinking about the guy who makes me forget everything else.

..........

"Merry Christmas!" Jenny's voice booms through my room as she enters, drawing the curtains.

"Lemme sleep." I grumble.

"Get up now. We have to open the gifts, have the Christmas lunch and then you have to go to Cabir's for the party! Come on."

"Merry Christmas!" I mutter, extending my arms to her.

"Wish you all the happiness, honey!" She says hugging me.

I quickly take a shower and go down to see each and every inch of the house covered in something red or white.

"Wow, Jenny. You're surely taking advantage of Nyonika not being around." I praise.

"Oh, don't speak of the devil dear." She winks and I giggle.

After settling down on the couch, we exchange gifts. I give Jenny a beautiful shawl which she loves. I even thought of buying something for the bodyguard while ordering online, only since he is protecting me 24x7 (yeah, right. My subconscious rolls her eyes). But then, decided against it.

"It's lovely! Thank you dear." She beams at me.

"Not as lovely as this watch." I squeal, unwrapping my gift. She pulls me into a hug and starts sobbing. I gently pat her back.

"Oh, never mind the old lady. Let's have lunch."

After an extravagant meal, I decided to go out for a walk.

"At this hour?" Jenny raises an eyebrow at me.

"Um..fresh air." I mumble.

"Yeah, sure. Enjoy!" She smirks.

I roll my eyes at her and head out. She must be thinking I am going to meet Manik. But I am not. Huh.

After roaming around for a couple of minutes, I decided to see Manik.

Yeah. You knew this would happen! Who are you kidding?

I knock on his door and he opens, talking on the phone.

"Call you later, mom." He says and hangs up on seeing me.

"Hey." He mutters awkwardly.

I instantly see images of the...almost kiss from last night. Quickly brushing it away, I speak up.

"Merry Christmas."

"Thanks. To you too." He smiles.

We stand in the doorway, not saying anything.

"Um..do you want to come inside?"

"Yeah."

I step inside and instantly make a face in pure disgust. The room looks like it's been blown up by a storm or something. Dirty clothes, shoes, and books are littered all over the place. The kitchen counter is covered in some yellow stuff and the sink is full of unwashed dishes.

I give him a disgusting look.

"What?" He asks bluntly.

"I didn't know you lived like a pig."

"Thank you so much for the compliment." He says dramatically, bowing down. "Have a seat." He points towards the couch which is offering the fantastic sight of a lot of underwear.

"Oh." He picks them up and throws them on the kitchen counter. "Here."

Kitchen counter and underwear!

"Yuck, Manik!"

He simply bursts out laughing. "Look at your face."

"Shut up." I throw a pile of clothes at him.

"Hey! You are messing up my room. It was so clean before you came." He whines.

"Yeah." I roll my eyes.

"Your eyes are on the verge of falling out of their sockets. You've been rolling them so much."

His laughter sounds like music and I find myself laughing along with him.
We stop after some time, breathless.

"Come." He sags onto the couch and pats the surface next to him.

"I'd rather stand." I huff.

"Oh, come on!" He grabs my wrist and pulls me onto the couch.

"I am going to Cabir's house tonight for the Christmas bash and you are coming with me, bodyguard!"

"Yes, ma'am. Jenny told me and Cabir also texted me."

"So, are you free right now?" I sound pathetically hopeful.

"I was going to do the laundry. But that can wait."

"I don't think so." I say, looking at the heaps of clothes lying around. "You must do it now, caveman."

"Fine. I'll do it." He grumbles. "Will you stay?"

Stay and watch the hot hunk wash clothes. Yup, anytime.

"Do you want me to?" I ask.

He doesn't answer and starts looking around.

"Yeah, I could use company. Not that I don't enjoy washing clothes. I just love it." He says sarcastically.

"Let's get started."

I watch him grab his clothes from everywhere and load the washing machine.

After an hour of watching him, I realise he is simply adorable! And cute.

"Done." He finally says after ages. "Let's go."

We come into the living room and chit chat for what seems like hours. He really has a very good sense of humour. It's weird how comfortably I have been talking to him. Normally, I only glare and grunt.

With Manik, things can't be normal!

"I have to go and get ready." I say when it's 7.

"Yeah. I'll see you."

"Bye."

"Nandini?" He calls out after me.

"Hmm?"

"I had a really good time today." His smile is just gorgeous.

"Me too. See ya in a bit."

..........

"Nandu, Alia and Mukti are also here. Do not misbehave with them." Cabir warns me over the loud music.

"Why did you have to invite them?"

"Because, they are two of the few people who don't judge me on the basis of my sexual preference. They are my friends."

"Sorry, Cabir. I won't misbehave. I don't want you to lose any friends because of me." I mutter in a small voice.

"Oh, shut up!" He yells and pulls me into a hug. "Merry Christmas." He screams into my ear and walks away.

Cabir's apartment is decorated lavishly. Loud music is blaring in through the speakers. Many people are dancing in the middle. Some are chatting in small groups. At the far end, a bar has been set up for drinks. Manik is standing by it, looking like some Greek god. The girls are staring at him even more than usual today.

He grabs two glasses and starts coming to me with a smile. But...Alia Saxena hijacks him midway and takes him to a corner. He looks at me as he is pulled away. She gives him a tight hug and my blood boils in my veins. Manik is looking at me, but I look away.

Control Nandini. This is Cabir's party. Don't create a scene.

"Merry Christmas, Nandu!" Navya squeals and throws herself at me.

"Merry Christmas." I try to sound cheerful.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

"You like Manik, don't you?" She looks around for some time and then winks at me.

"Is it that obvious?"

"Oh, yes! You behave very differently around him. You look..happy." She states.

I remain silent, not knowing what to say.

"Good news! He is surrounded by hot girls on all sides. But he is staring at you." She giggles.

"Is he, now." I say curtly.

"Yes."

I look up and surely, he is staring at me across the room, and doesn't look away. I send him a glare and turn to Navya.

After a minute, I hear Manik's voice behind me.

"Hi, Navya. Merry Christmas." He says.

"Merry Christmas, Manik!" She smiles at him.

"Um..Nandini?" He says uncertainly.

"What?" I turn around and glare at him.

"May I have a dance with you?" He holds out his hand.

"Why don't you go and dance with that Alia?" I snap.

"Oh, please." He whines and grabs my hand, pulling me to the dance floor.

"Manik.."

"Shh." He places a finger on my lips and with his other hand, pulls me closer by my waist. My chest collides with his, sending shivers through me.

He removes his finger from my mouth and gently holds my hand in his. I place my other hand on his shoulder. We start swaying together to my favourite song, shayad yahi hai pyaar.

"I was just being polite to Alia. Nothing else."

"Why are you explaining yourself to me."

"I don't know." He mutters, looking lost.

The song catches beat and he twirls me around.

"Please don't be upset." He whispers into my ear, making me melt down.

I turn around and smile at him, putting my arms around his neck. He grabs my waist a little too low, igniting my core.

We twirl and sway effortlessly and he lifts me up as the song comes to an end.

"Wow! What sizzling, hot chemistry." Cabir's cheerful voice booms in.

I free myself of Manik's hold and retreat to a corner, blushing hard.

Manik is walking towards me when I feel a tap on my shoulder.

"Hi, Nandini. Merry Christmas." Dhruv says, slightly curt. What's with him?

"Hey! Merry Christmas." I smile at him.

"That was...some dance."

"Um..I guess so." I reply, understanding what's bugging him. I instantly remember the day Dhruv expressed his feelings to me randomly. I had turned him down, telling him he was only a friend. I had hoped he would get over me. Looks like that's not happened yet.

"Nandini." Manik's voice brings me out of my thoughts. I look up at him.

"We should leave. It's late." He says, ignoring Dhruv completely.

"Yeah."

After saying bye to everyone, we leave.

What an amazing Christmas it has been this year!
.
.
.
.
.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

528K 20.3K 48
Brianni uses her sister's pictures and information to live her best social media life not knowing she'd meet the love of her life that way. Will he a...
231K 5.6K 33
"That better not be a sticky fingers poster." "And if it is ." "I think I'm the luckiest bloke at Hartley." Heartbreak High season 1-2 Spider x oc
13.8K 2.1K 56
Cover By: @rianshlifeline This is officially second chapter of tu aur mein totally different from the previous one this will not be same so hope you...
38.1K 1K 42
get me with those green eyes as the lights go down gimme something that'll haunt me when you're not around cause i see sparks fly whenever you sm...