The Lost Princess of Asgard

By marvel-ous

You've all heard the stories of Thor...or Loki, but you've never heard mine. My name is Astryd Odindittir. I... More

Prologue.
Part I : Chapter I
Part I : Chapter II
Part I : Chapter III
Part I : Chapter IV
Part I : Chapter V
Part I : Chapter VI
Part I : Chapter VII
Part I : Chapter VIII
Part I : Chapter IX
Part I : Chapter X
Part I : Chapter XI
Part I : Chapter XII
.intermission.
Part II : Chapter XIII
Part II : Chapter XV
Part II : Chapter XVI
Part II : Chapter XVII
Part II : Chapter XVIII
Part II : Chapter XIX
Part II : Chapter XX
Part II : Chapter XXI
Part II : Chapter XXII
Part II : Chapter XXIII
Part II : Chapter XXIV
Part II : Chapter XXV
Part II : Chapter XXVI
Part II : Chapter XXVII
Part II : Chapter XXVIII
Part II : Chapter XXIX
Part II : Chapter XXX
Part II : Chapter XXXI
Part II : Chapter XXXII
Part II : Chapter XXXIII
Part II : Chapter XXXIV
Part II : Chapter XXXV
Part II : Chapter XXXVI
Author's Note

Part II : Chapter XIV

19.2K 569 82
By marvel-ous

Part Two. Chapter Fourteen.

Odin's Confession.

                “And how are you coping with all of this?” I asked Steve, using my hands to gesture all around us. His story amazed me beyond words. How he was just a kid from Brooklyn, how he enrolled into the military many times, was experimented on and came to be the super soldier and many other events. The saddest one of all was when he told me that he watched his friend, Bucky Barnes, die, not being able to do anything to help. The way he described his friend just tugged at my heartstrings, because to see any loved one die before your eyes and not be able to do anything, is execrable. It reminded of Loki...

                “It’s hard, but I know I can get through it. I just feel lost, excluded from the world. It’s almost as if I just don’t belong.” He admitted, sighing at the end.

                I sent him a small smile, placing my hand over his in a friendly and assuring gesture. He glanced down at my hand, and finally, his blue eyes came to rest on me.

                “I understand how you feel. I’ve been through it myself. But I need you to know, that no matter what, you’re never alone.” I told him, reciting the words Agent Coulson once said to me when I was young.

                “Thank you,” he murmured.

                I nodded, my hand leaving his and stood up. I let my eyes wander about my settings, and found nothing that caught my eye. Around here, there were just a bunch of buildings. The second entrance was where the interesting places were since it led to Times Square. I didn’t know where exactly we could go to from here. I was new to New York and hadn’t had time to go wander off on my own, and with Steve being the same, we’d both just be a big, lost mess.

                “Hey, so I’ve told you my story. What’s yours?” Steve asked, standing up along with me.

                “Oh, you don’t really want to hear it. It’s a long story.”

                Steve smiled and sat back down, “I have time.”

             ”‘you’re going to think this is crazy, you probably won't believe me'." I quoted him from earlier, but I actually meant it. The only reason why people believed my story is because they've seen the real me, and have been with me and noticed my strange qualities. Even Darcy, who had always claimed that I wasn't from this world, was skeptical when I had told her the truth. I don't think any person would accept the idea of not being the only ones out there lightly, but Steve was unusual himself. He'd have to believe me. Sensing my hesitation, he raised any eyebrow still smiling encouragingly.

              “‘Try me.' "

**

          The sky was full of hazes of pink, blue, and a light purple. Clouds surrounded the palace, causing it to stand out more in its golden glory. The Asgardians were up and about, going on with their daily routines. Attending to their customers, making swords and battle gear, taking care of their children, and many other things was among their busy schedules. It was yet another peaceful, hot day in Asgard for all the citizens, for the most part. Some of the citizens pitied the royal family for their loss, but the others thought nothing of it. It's not as if Loki was their favorite Asgardian in the realm.

            Thor stood at the edge of the balcony, his hands gripping the rail as he stared straight ahead saddened by the absence of the bifrost. He longed for the bifrost, and yearned to be with his beloved Midgardian; Jane Foster. He also mourned for his brother, Loki, and sister, Astryd. He never thought he’d lose either one of them, not able to think of such things, and to have them both gone now was an unbearable pain that he would carry with him for the rest of his life.

                Watching Thor from afar was his mother. Her heart, too, was shattered by her new loss, and she feared that Thor would soon join her other two children. He was all she had left, and to see him suffering just as she was, only made it worse for her pain. A hand rested on Frigga’s shoulder, and she glanced at it before glancing at her husband. He nodded glumly at her and followed her gaze to Thor. Without saying a word to his wife, he walked forward stopping only a few feet behind Thor.

                “Thor.”

                Thor sighed as his name was called, but didn’t turn around. “Both my sister and brother…dead.”

                “We don’t know that for sure.” Odin replied.

                Thor turned around and stared his father in disbelief. “Father, Loki let go. He’s gone. You never found Astryd. She’s gone. They’re both gone.”

                Odin gulped. “Son, there is something I must confess.”

                Thor’s teary blue eyes met with his father’s. Frigga, who was still watching and overhearing their conversation, glanced at her husband puzzled. What did the All-father have to confess? What would he have lied about?

                “What is it, Father?” Thor demanded, impatient.

                Odin couldn’t find himself to spit out the words. He struggled to choke them out. He feared for what would come after the truth is told. The royal family was at its worst, and in desperate need of hope. If he told the truth, there would be hope but the new, strong bond between them would break. He cursed himself, for being so selfish, for not telling them all the truth when it had all happened. He knew that Loki died; knowing the truth about his sister, and it sickened him to know that he wasn’t the one to tell Loki himself.

                “A week after Astryd’s disappearance, Heimdall contacted me and claimed that he had seen her.”

                “Why didn’t you bring her back?” Thor demanded, once again, in disbelief. If his father had seen her, she should've brought her back immediately. Then, they wouldn't have had to suffer as they did with her loss.

                “It was too dangerous. Heimdall informed me that she harnessed dark power, and if we were to bring her back, we’d put Asgard at risk.”

                “How could you? She is your daughter! Your family! You left her, our daughter, alone in Midgard?!” Frigga shouted, upset as she rushed up to Odin and Thor. She felt betrayed. All these years thinking that her daughter was dead, being lied to in the face by her husband, and now, she was faced with the cold, hard truth. Was Astryd still alive? Was she alright?

                “I had no other choice.” Odin solemnly replied.

                “Is she still alive?” Thor asked.

                “Yes.”

                Hope flickered in both Frigga’s and Thor’s eyes. Their dear Astryd was alive. The lost Princess of Asgard was no longer lost. She was found. Tears blurred Frigga’s eyes, they were tears of joy for her daughter but they were also tears of hurt from Odin’s betrayal. “We must bring her back, immediately!” Frigga desperately claimed.

                “No.”

                “No?” Frigga snapped.

                “Father, she is our family and we need her.” Thor said.

                “But she doesn’t need us.”

           “I don’t believe you. Where is the man that I married? Speak to me when you find him, because I know that the man I married wouldn’t have lied to his wife.” Frigga spat and then ran off into the palace.

             “What did you mean by her harnessing dark power?" Thor questioned eyes wide. He was angered by his father's actions, but he had to push it aside. He didn't understand what Odin meant. She was just a child when she left, and she couldn't have figured it out on her own. Besides, Astryd was never the one for magic tricks and power. It was always Loki.

        "I have a theory. Come, follow me," Odin said, walking into the palace. He led them down a long corridor and opened the back entrance door that led to the sacred room. He walked forward towards the casket of ancient winters. "You see, when you three came into this room years ago, I caught a glimpse of the casket before Astryd was blasted away. It was the brightest I've ever seen and had strange markings on it, markings not even I could understand, for they were in a different language, nothing Norse related. I believe the casket had been charmed along with the tesseract. They've both always been tied together, both very powerful and similar. If anyone would have such power similar to them, they'd be able to harness enough power to do anything they want."

      "Are you saying that Astryd somehow charmed the casket under a spell?" Thor interrupted, skeptically staring at the casket in wonder.

      "No. Let me finish, Son. When we retrieved the casket from Jotunheim, it was unexpected to the Jotuns. I believe that Laufey contacted someone, powerful a dark elf, perhaps. One who was well experienced in sorcery and dark magic. That would explain why Laufey had come after the casket, and was infuriated, claiming that someone had touched it, and no longer had much interest in retrieving the casket as before. Laufey wanted such power to, no doubt, destroy all of his enemies...destroy Asgard."

     "How are you so sure about this theory? Do you have any evidence to prove it?"

     "I don't have any stable evidence to prove it, but Heimdall and I have been keeping watch over Astryd over the years. Astryd was safe in Midgard, happy as can be with being stripped of her memories. I know it hurt her to be blocked off of her memories, but it was for the best. But there was an incident that happened in Midgard. An attack; an alien attack. Laufey had found her, and sent his giants after her but their mission failed. A little girl like her had managed to put up a fight and kill one of them, scaring the other away. That is when I realized that Heimdall had been right all along. She was dangerous, and acquired powers from the casket and tesseract, that she couldn't control."

     "How is she? Is she alright? Does she have a family? Father, we can find a way to get to her, to explain everything to her. We can get her back."

     "She's alright. I've sent my ravens to keep watch over her, but due to the bifrost not working, they're stuck in Midgard for the moment, but I can see through their eyes at times. Heimdall has kept me up to date with her. Last I've heard is that she works for an agency named S.H.I.E.L.D. There's a man who she cherishes and calls father, and a few friends to call family as well. She knows about us, Thor." Odin sighed, not wanting to go into that subject. It tore him apart to know that Astryd despised him. He deserved it, and if there was ever a way to take everything back, Odin would jump at the chance. 

     Thor smiled, chuckling lightly. "She does? Then, how come she hasn't come to visit us? If she harnesses as much as power as you say she does, then she can transport herself to Asgard."

     "She despises me, and she does not know just how powerful she is."

      "How did she find out?" Thor wondered, frowning that his sister wasn't too fond over their father. The choices Odin had made were harsh, but he made them thinking of all the Asgardians, not just his family. If only he could see Astryd, and tell it all to her.

      "Loki found her and told her everything, twisting the truth with his words." Odin explained.

      Thor glanced down solemnly at the mention of Loki. He wondered for a moment, if Loki was alive as well. Perhaps, he didn't die after all? He thought to himself, but he had seen him fall. He had let go and fallen to his death. At least Loki had gotten to see her before he died.

     Thor remembered the times when the three of them would be out and about Asgard. The trio was always up to no good. Thor was easily persuaded. Astryd was always trying to impress her brothers, with the hopes of being equal to them. Loki was the one with the mischievous thinking and silver tongue. Once you mixed those three together, nothing good ever came out. They had once let out all the horses of the palace and frightened them on purpose, causing chaotic destruction in the town. Loki had used his tricks that day, making serpents appear out of nowhere to frighten the horses. He had always been the one for illusions and magic. Magic, Thor thought.

    "What if we use magic to send me to Midgard? I can convince her and bring her back, Father!" Thor exclaimed happily with his idea.

      "The only magic capable of transporting you to Midgard would be dark magic. I am sorry, but I cannot risk it. Give me time, Thor. I will try to find another way."

      Thor sighed, his happy mood evaporating away rapidly. All he wanted was his little sister back. Could Odin not take a risk for once? It would be worth it, and Thor was willing to pay the consequences, if need to. 

      "What if you can't find another way?" Thor pointed out. They both knew that without the tesseract, the bifrost, or dark magic, there was no other way to leave Asgard. 

     "Then, I will have no choice but to take a risk." Odin replied. All he wanted was time; time to think things through. With a risky decision like dark magic, it couldn't just be made in a day. No, he need time -days- to understand the consequences and be able to face them when the time would come. He couldn't risk it yet, and then have Thor fail in bringing Astryd back. He knew just how reluctant Astryd would be; he could almost picture it in his mind. Odin needed another push in order for him to agree to use dark magic. 

      Little did he know, that the push he very much needed would come soon.

 A/N: That last line is referring to Loki...>.<  Eeeep Steve & Astryd moment at the beginning. I don't know when I'll be able to update next, but I'll try. I hope you enjoyed this chapter. What did you think? Please leave your thoughts below!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

39.8K 826 22
This story takes place during Thor and most of the Avengers with my own twist at the end Please enjoy :) DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT OWN ANY OF THE MAVR...
5.7K 193 52
Long before the events of Thor and the Avengers, the god of mischief fell for a common Asgardian maiden. Late night meetings and secret rendezvous's...
Always By Lina

Fanfiction

5.3K 149 12
Disclaimer: I don't own anything except for the plot.
281 6 10
ℒℴ𝓀𝒾 𝓍 ℱℯ𝓂!ℛℯ𝒢𝒹ℯ𝓇 -As a young princess of Astoria, you're introduced to the two princes of Asgard. Although love blooms with one of the prince...