The Pen Pal Project // Alex G...

By BasketballGirl124

Kendall Carney always had her head in a book. Alex Gaskarth was your typical punk high school senior. What do... More

Extended Blurb
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
Character Ask/Answers.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
29.
30.
31.
32.
33.
34.
35.
36.
37.
38.
39.
40.
41.
42.
Phase Two
43.
44.
45.
46.
47.
48.
49.
50.

14.

4.1K 154 101
By BasketballGirl124

KENDALL

Christmas and New Year's had past, with letters going back and forth as per usual between Kendall and Guitar-Guy.

There had also been text messages going back and forth almost every day between Kendall and Jack.

She had actually ran into the guys while at a coffee shop and they ended up hanging out there for a couple hours, talking about how their breaks we're going along with Jack and Alex's usual banter.

Kendall had received Guitar-Guy's last letter which was written on New Year's Day.

Hi-

This is probably going to be my shortest letter ever.

I have such a bad hangover. I blame my friends.

Long story short, we went to the party, had a few drinks, weren't having much fun, then decided to go back to my place, play some music and drink some more. Somehow, I got on my roof. I mean it's not hard to get up on it from my window but I haven't gone up there since like October or some shit cause I'm afraid of falling.

Thank god I didn't, otherwise you'd have a dead friend.

But hey, I didn't die or get severely injured so that's always good.

I hope your New Years went well. We go back to school soon. Like what three days or something like that?

As strange as it sounds, I'm excited to go back. There's some people I want to catch up with. The work I'm not too excited for, but that's kind of a given.

I haven't really asked you many questions in a while. I mean sure, I know a ton about you, but what about your thoughts on the world? There's somethings that I just haven't asked that I would probably know if we spent a night under the stars just mouthing off about the world. I could definitely see us doing that sometime. I hope we get to.

I'll talk to you soon, back when we're both in hell (school),

Guitar-Guy

Kendall laughed aloud at how weird Guitar-Guy was. He could jump from one random subject to another.

Some of the randomness could be accredited to his hangover, but he did tend to do that every once in a while. Also he said that he was going to ask her questions, but never did.

Kendall laughed again and shook her head.

"What are you laughing at?" Alex asked smugly as he placed his books down on the lab table.

It was the first day back at school after winter break, and the school had an unwelcoming chill and it's natural gloom to it.

Kendall was huddled in blue skinny jeans and a blink-182 sweatshirt while Alex, had on jeans and a plain black t-shirt.

"Oh nothing, just read a letter from my pen pal. He's an idiot, but he's alright I guess," she replied happily.

"I hate the fact that you're so happy and smiley cause it's Monday and it's cold and I really don't want to be here," Alex said, sitting.

"Then maybe you should've worn more than a t-shirt," she laughed.

"Maybe, but too late to change that now. Unless you wanna give me your sweatshirt."

"Oh hell no Gaskarth. I only have a tank top on under this," Kendall replied.

Alex smirked, "All the more reason to take it off."

"You're such a pig."

"Oink, oink."

"Carney! Gaskarth! If you're done, the bell rung minutes ago and I'd appreciate it if you would do the work on the board quietly," their teacher scolded.

"Sorry sir, we'll get to it," Kendall replied, glaring at Alex; who in response, scrunched his nose and snorted like a pig, causing them both to laugh, and gain yet another glare from their teacher.

ALEX

Alex wasn't really feeling the whole school thing. He wanted nothing more than to just skip the rest of the day and either sleep or write some songs. He was in one of those moods.

After English with Mrs. Clark, Alex told Rian to go ahead without him, and that he'd catch up with him.

"Hello Alex, how was your break?" Mrs. Clark asked, not looking up from her grade book.

"It was alright I guess. How was yours?"

"Fantastic, I got to skim over everyone's letters; yours and your partners were probably the best. You both write long letters to each other. Bravo by the way," she replied, finally looking up at the shaggy haired boy.

"But you're not here to see how my break went are you?"

"No, not really," Alex admitted, "No one's coming in this period right? Like no Kendall today?"

"No she told me this morning she wanted to finish reading a book in the library," Mrs. Clark replied.

"Okay, good. I don't want anyone to really hear this," he commented.

"Is everything alright Alex?" The teacher asked worriedly.

"Kind of. I mean, ugh this is weird to say out loud," he sighed, "It's just over break. I realized something and I wanted to know if it was completely unreasonable or not.

I just realized that Book-Girl, my partner has made me rethink everything. Like my outlook on everything has been altered, not completely changed but she's definitely implanted some of her ideas into my brain and they've stuck. And it's just, I've dated girls before; beautiful girls, smart girls, and almost any kind of person I've had a thing with. But none of them have had this effect on me. I mean, I used to always think I could never go on a blind date with someone because I need to know what they look like. But suddenly, I feel like if I get to meet Book-Girl, I'd like her even more. That she'd just fall in my arms and we'd live happily ever after or some ridiculous fantasy. But you know her. Would she go for me? Crap, this is so weird asking my teacher for dating advice."

"You want to date her?" Mrs. Clark asked.

Alex grabbed at his hair in frustration, "That's the thing! I have no idea! I think I do but I'm scared that my mind thinks she's someone who she's not and that scares me."

"Well, tell me Alex, what do you think of her?" Mrs. Clark asked, linking her hands together and placing them on top of her desk.

"I think she's amazing. She's smart, funny, witty and down to earth. She's calmingly crazy. She's someone who seems so stereotypically chill, but at the same time is adventurous. She's wise beyond her years and she always knows how to say something. Her English is impeccable and it makes me want to do better cause I know it would make her happy," Alex listed.

Mrs. Clark hesitated, "Alex, you're describing her perfectly, but you're sure she's what you want? I'm not discouraging you, I'm trying to help. I don't think you're over thinking her at all, I think you're perfectly describing her but are you sure you're ready for the emotional rollercoaster that'll come along with wanting to be with her? I think you should ask yourself that before you let things get too out of hand."

Alex nodded understandingly, "Thanks Mrs. Clark. But you never answered my original question. Do you think she would ever go for someone like me?"

Mrs. Clark smiled knowingly, "I don't think she would Alex. I know she would."

A bright smile plastered itself on Alex's face, his eyes sparkling.

As he started out the door, Mrs. Clark shook her head, knowing that the two pen pals were closer to each other than either knew.

"Thank you Mrs. Clark, I'll see you tomorrow!" He called as he went out the door and to his locker.

Alex walked his usual route which involved passing Kendall's locker as well.

As he approached, he saw her, her hair now hidden under a beanie and her headphones in as she switched books from her locker.

Alex smiled and went up behind her and grabbed her tattered notebook from the top shelf of her locker as he usually did.

Kendall jumped back, startled, one of her headphones falling from her ear.

"Jesus, Alex! You scared me!"

He shrugged, "Thought I'd help you out. You coming to lunch?"

"No, sorry. I have a date with my book. I'll see you later though, yeah?"

"Most definitely," he replied as he turned and walked backwards towards his own locker.

"Bye Alex."

"See you later Kendall."

______________

It was late January soon enough, the snow seemed to be permanently stuck to the grass and sidewalks, making the cool winter weather less and less bearable for Alex.

He had sent Book-Girl her birth-month present which was a limited edition cover of To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee, which according to Book-Girl was the best book ever written.

Dear Guitar-Guy,

Thank you sosososososo much for the book. I literally have read it twice since I got it. I can't believe you got me that.

Anyway, the semester is ending this week, thank god; I get an extra study hall to do nothing.

And to answer your previous question; if we were to do that, you know, sit under the stars and mouth off.

Well, there'd have to be a warm blanket, maybe a small fire to roast marshmallows on. Hmmmm, maybe some soft music playing in the background too. There's this hill in the park, over by Thames Street, that I just adore, there's a small tree that we could lean against if we wanted, but I feel like lying flat on our backs and staring at the stars would be cooler.

And of course you would be there; I wouldn't want to mouth off with anybody else. Cause let's face it, we're both going straight to hell.

What about you though? What would you want to do if we did that? Humor me.

And yes my birthday passed, the other day actually, your gift didn't quite arrive on my birthday but it was close enough for me.

Have a good finals week, we'll hopefully survive.

Love you lots,

Book-Girl

The letters had been coming in a little slower than usual; Alex guessed it was a mixture of the poor weather and Book-Girl cramming for semester finals and midterms.

Not that he blamed her; he was kind of studying as well. Alex was never the best student, he loved to learn but he wanted to learn what he wanted and at his own pace, he didn't feel the need to conform to his schools standards.

Alex wanted to graduate, then high-tail it out and into his music. That had been his plan for a while and he didn't plan on changing it anytime soon.

He was taking all average level courses with the exception of English, which was an AP.

Alex had to fill his schedule with all half year courses with a few exceptions so that he would be eligible for a work study program.

Somehow he and Jack had convinced their guidance counselor that making music was their work and they would spend time not in school writing music. They would be able to leave after fourth period everyday but would leave after lunch since they didn't want Rian and Kendall to be alone at lunch.

Needless to say Alex and Jack were cramming to study for all of these stupid half year courses.

"Go ahead, write her back, I know you want to, I could use a break anyway," Jack explained, yawning.

They were sitting on Alex's bed with psychology notes sheets spread all over.

"Thanks Jay," Alex replied, pulling out loose leaf paper.

_______________

Three days of school left then I get eight days to relax and do nothing...

This is actually a really important chapter...Just letting you know...

Merry Christmas (Kiss My Ass)!

"Are you a sofa? Cause you're sofacking annoying." –Alex Gaskarth

~BasketballGirl124

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

191K 4.5K 32
This is cliche because I fancy my brother's best friend Jack Barakat and it so happens that he's single, hot but I can't go out with him because of m...
389 43 30
Alex could never love. Not me, Not Lisa, Not Mandy-not anyone. It was almost like he was incapable of love. He just knew lust. That was all Alex wa...
651 32 16
𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐍𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 [alex gaskarth x fem!oc] i don't think jack barakat realized what he just got himself into. [UNDER EDITING] ↳ extended summery ins...
4.8K 458 26
High school was hard, but college is even harder. Jack's coping with his break up while also balancing all his classes and it's actually quite hard f...