Girl Behind the Mic

By purple_princess143

Let's face it there are shy, awkward people in the world and Emily just happens to be one of them. Her love o... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
The End

Chapter 15

22K 693 340
By purple_princess143

Chapter 15

Exiting the stage, I took off the itchy wig immediately and set it on the make-up table.

Pauline didn't waste any time waving over someone to start fixing my make-up and as soon as I knew it people began to poke my face again.

"Close your eyes, hun." A sweet brunette who looked about the age of a sophmore said and began dabbing something on my eyelids.

Opening my eyes as told, Kate was behind me and looking a bit pissed off. In her big blue dress she pouted as to why she wasn't going to be wearing the pink dress with white fabric at the bottom.

Saying it was prettier than the mess of blue fabric she was currently wearing, the girl who had designed that dress began to tear up and ran out the door. She was only a freshman and had created a beautiful dress, poor Stacy McGregor.

Sighing, Kate was pushed onto the stage along with Tim and the music began. I was done with make-up touch ups and fixations and Pauline didn't hesitate to shove me and a dress in the changing room. Slipping the lovely pink and white fabric I walked out and tossed my clothes into my bag and was handed a pair of heels.

Putting those on, another girl put jewelery on me along with arranging my wig's hair nicely onto my head.

As Kate and Tim's song came to an end, I was sent to enter from the exit doors with Tyler. Walking down the hall, I took off my shoes as my feet touched the cold flooring.

Getting to the exit, people looked at me weird, heels in hand. As I slipped them back on I fastly made my over to Tyler. He smiled at me and we were sent the cue to run in.

"Wait we're here!" Tyler said running on the opposite aisle.

"Wait! Wait!" I yelled.

"I called three times." The girl playing Ms. Darbus said.

"Please, please." I said.

"Fine." She sighed and Kasey smiled and waved us over.

Taking the lab coat off I threw the goggles off and was handed a mic.

Tyler took off his athletic jacket and was dragged offstage, handed a change of clothes I caught a glimpse of him shirtless. All I can say is wow.

Props were moved in not so subtly as the moon was basically pushed in by juniors in somewhat bright clothing. One waved to the audience as another shoved him backstage.

Tyler ran back onstage and grabbed a mic. The cast for the basketball team entered along with cheerleaders, extras, all of them. And all sat down.

From having to sit next to him the first day and singing a duet with him today. I knew my feelings torwards him. But this was not the end, only the start.

"We're soarin, flyin. There's not a star in heaven that we can't reach." Tyler began, his soft voice being as comforting as his hand wrapping over mine.

"If we're trying. So we're breaking free." I sang softer than intended.

"You know the world can see us, in a way that's different than who we are." Tyler sang.

"Creating space between us, til we're separate hearts." I sang and backed away from him, letting out hands go.

"But your faith it gives me strength, strength to believe." We sang together.

The music picked up and Tyler began to sing his part for the chorus,"We're breaking free."

"We're soaring," I sang a bit louder.

"Flyin," Tyler sang.

"There's not a star in heaven, that we can't reach." We sang together in harmony.

"If we're trying."

"Yeah, we're breaking free."

"Oh we're breaking free." Tyler sang.

"Can you feel it building? Like a wave the ocean just can't control." Tyler continued to sing as he did a bit of a dance.

"Connected by a feeling. Ohhh, in our very souls." I sang facing the crowd.

"Rising 'til it lifts us up. So every one can see.." We sang together.

Singing the rest of the song, I smiled joyfully at the boy who was in front of me. He was basically perfect. I couldn't deny my feelings anymore, now could I?

Singing the final chorus we ended the song by singing together,"You know the world can see us, in a way that's different than who we are."

He was supposed to kiss me at the end of the song, which I got my hopes up for. He leaned in and our lips were inches apart. I looked into his hazel eyes as our gazes locked. I wish I could make the first move but I felt I couldn't.

Then someone in the crowd stood up.

"Hands off my girl, Tyler!" I heard the familar voice of Jonathan yell.

Everyone, including me turned to face him. Tyler looked to Mr. Hashire.

The teacher mouthed the words 'Kiss her!' But he didn't. Instead he smiled and hugged me.

Not what I was hoping for.

After that we left the stage. The curtains closed for an intermission. I sat in front of a vanity as someone did my make-up and touched up my hair. Trying to curl the black hair on my wig.

I had to put on a red dress. It wasn't the full on red dress with thin spaghetti straps and small ruffles like in the movie, but it was gold on top and layered with red fabric on the bottom. It was beautiful. I seriously had to applaud Stacy for this beautiful thing. She had been appointed head director in fashion for the whole production and I understood why.

I painted my nails this morning as I "tutored" Jonathan. Well I haven't been exactly tutoring him. Just showing up early to school and sitting at a desk doing something else, while he was on his phone. Didn't need to, our teacher was leaving early this semester so we had our final exam early than usual.

I closed my eyes as I was getting mascara put on my eyes. I opened them. This is a lot of make-up, I thought to myself.

"Wow, you look beautiful." Tyler said behind me.

I turned around to see him holding a rose. He gave it to me.

"Wow, thanks," I hugged him knowing he would only give me a hug but only a hug. This is what we would always be.

As Tyler was dragged away for the ending scenes, Tyler was given a basketball. There was a basketball hoop on the stage we borrowed from the gym. Me being on the right side of the stage, I was sent on cue a coup seconds after he shot the hoop.

Tyler shot the winning hoop and all of the guys in basketball shorts started screaming. I ran up to Tyler and huged him.

"Good job Wildcat!" I hugging him.

In the script they kissed, but we didn't. I hugged him and we locked gazes. Nothing more, nothing less.

Then the music started. Time to dance.

We all joined in song as we danced on cue. It was pretty fun. At the end when we all danced in pairs as we walked to the end of the stage he not only hugged me from behind but looked at the crowd and kissed me. Feeling his lips on mine I felt, happy. I felt completely happy.

We all took a bow as the crowd cheered and I went off stage. Anxiously, I took the wig of. A bunch of people congratulated, hugged and took pictures with me. I felt loved. Nothing could make me happier.

As I sat in the make-up chair my glasses, unfortunately, got cracked on my right lense and now looked terrible. I sighed, I guess I'll get new glasses.

After about thirty minutes later, I felt a tap on my shoulder and as I looked over my shoulder, I turned to see nobody other than Tyler.

"Hey." I said smiling.

"Hey."

"Good job!"

"Yeah you too, I wanted to ask you something."

"Really what is it?" I asked.

He held out a rose and said,"Emily Thomas, I really like you-"

"Tyler? You chose Tyler over me? What the heck!" Jonathan replied furiously kicking the moon prop that we used in the last duet we sang.

I didn't know what to do. There I stood in shock and silence between Tyler holding a rose and Jonathan looking like he was about to kill someone.

They glared at each other in silence..

Uh-oh.. This isn't going to end well.

"Emily, come on we're going." Jonathan said grabbing my arm and walking away. I pulled away and walked back to Tyler.

"Emily, we're going." Jonathan repeated sounding really angry.

"No, I don't want to." I said gathering confidence

"We're going. You don't have a ride home." Jonathan said gritting his teeth.

"Claire's picking me up in five minutes." I backed away from Jonathan and closer to Tyler.

"Emily?" Tyler said in a quiet voice.

"Yes?" I said facing towards the more caring boy.

"I know this is the worst time to ask you but.." He dragged on.

"Yes?" I asked.

"Will you go to the prom with me?"

Claire walked in the second he said the word prom.

"Whoa. Dramatic scene." Claire said.

"No, it's not." I said.

"What's going on? Why does Jonathan look like he's going to kill someone and why is Tyler holding a rose?" Claire said confused.

"Let's just-let's, let's go." I said stuttering.

We walked outside to Claire car.

What would happen to Tyler? Would Jonathan beat him up or something?

"Claire?" I asked quietly.

"Yeah?" She said as she buckled her seatbelt.

"Did I tell you about the rose?" I sighed looking out the window.

"Oh, um, actually I should tell you something." Claire said tucking a strand of hair behind her ear, a bit nervous looking.

"What?" I said.

"I helped Tyler put the rose in your bag." Claire revealed.

"You what?" I said in pure shock.

"I'm sorry, he said he would help me with my math homework." She said sheepishly.

"I'm not mad, it's just. I'm shocked. I thought Jonathan did that." I said shaking my head.

"Oh, you aren't? Thank god." Claire said letting a breath of relief.

"It's cool and by the way, I can help you with math." I said and buckled my seatbelt.

"You can?" She questioned.

"Yeah, I also tutor Jonathan." I replied.

"I know that but I should have asked you to help me."

"It's okay, I'm glad you helped Tyler."

"Yeah. He really likes you. Actually I should tell you something else." Claire said.

"Yeah?"

"Tyler's sorta my cousin." Claire said a bit awkwardly.

"He is?" I said being confused.

"Yeah, our mom's are sisters." She said.

Mumbling an okay, Claire began to drive.

"Thanks for the ride home, I couldn't survive that for one more second." I said as she pulled up in my driveway.

"No problem. See you tomorrow." Claire said and waved to me as I got out of the car.

"See ya."

I walked to my front door. The porch light was on and I stared at it.

My mom was home..but said she had to work late. I nervously grabbed my keys out of my bag and opened the door.

Jonathan was sitting with my mom.

"Oh, Emily. Hi." My mom said smiling.

"Um, um, hi mom." I mumbled.

"Aren't you going to say hi to your boyfriend?" She asked.

Boyfriend? What the?

"He's not my boyfriend, mom." I said, locking the door and hanging up my keys.

"Yeah, actually I am." Jonathan said with a grin on his face.

"No." I said firmly,"We're not dating."

"Actually, Emily? Can I talk to you in the kitchen?" My mom said.

"Sure." I said and dropped my bag on the ground following my mom to the kitchen.

"Emily?" She said as she closed the door.

"Yes?" I said.

"I know I said you couldn't date until college, but I'll let you date Jonathan." My mom said.

"What? I'm not datin-"

"Sweetie, it's okay if you want to date him. Don't hide it."

"Mom, I don't like him!" I yelled.

"Sweetie. You can date anyone. Jonathan is a nice boy and you have my permission." My mom said putting her arm on my shoulder.

I rolled my eyes, "Do I have to repeat myself?"

"Mrs. Thomas?" I heard Jonathan yell.

"Yes?" She said walking out the door.

"Can I talk to Emily alone?" He said as I rolled my eyes. I did not want to talk to him.

"Sure. If you want privacy, just go to Emily's room." She said walking to the bathroom.

Why does she want Jonathan, in a room. Alone. With me? At night time. Does she really trust this guy?

"Emily, I'll meet you in you're room." Jonathan said with a wink and a grin.

"No, don't go up there!" I followed him but he was halfway up the staircase. He walked all the way up to the second floor and I ran to follow him.

"Which door's your room?" He said as he stood in front of three.

"That one." He walked in to the bathroom and before he could say anything I pushed him in and closed the door. I ran to my room and locked the door.

Panting, I organized and cleaned my room. It was seriously messy. Dirty clothes on the floor in a pile and random books that I finished in piles all over the room.

Changing out of my black sweats and grey t-shirt I wore today, I changed into a pair of grey sweatpants and an old blue shirt. Big change? Sorta. I don't know, pineapple.

I put my glasses on and I began to clean my room for about twenty minutes or so. Later I came out of my room.

"Ah, what the?" I said as I almost rammed into Jonathan.

"Babe, I need to talk to you." He said.

"Don't call me that." I said.

"Why we're dating. Your mom approved."

"I didn't say yes and you didn't ask me."

"Well I'll ask you now."

"Emily Thomas will you go out with me?" He asked half-heartedly.

What am I supposed to do? I like Tyler and definitely not Jonathan.

If I say yes, I wouldn't be doing what my heart wanted

If I say no, I have a chance with Tyler and "true love". And then I would be breaking the heartbreaker's heart. That would be amusing, but..

"Emily?" Jonathan said interrupting my thought.

"Oh, um, what?" I said.

"You heard me didn't you?" He said.

"Um, psshh, no." I scoffed.

"I said will you be my girlfriend?"

"Why?"

"Because the tooth fairy asked me to! What do you think Emily? I love you!" He yelled.

"I thought you hated me!" I retorted.

"I don't I just fell in love with your voice. When you sang in the musical. The dumb ones at our school could have easily realized you were Girl Behind the Mic. I'm not that stupid." He said.

"But-But, wait you only like that I can sing?" I began to tear up. Being used wasn't my thing.

"No, I love that you are smart, kind and beautiful."

Being called beautiful two times in one day. This is some kind of record! I mean being called beautiful by Tyler was meaningful, but when Jonathan said it, it was filled with no emotion. Like he could casually say that to any girl, anytime. Which he did.

I froze. He made me feel like I was loved, cared for and that I was special to him. But I obviously didn't believe it.

"I love you Emily, why won't you believe me?" He said as he ran a hand through his hair leaning against the door frame.

"I-I, um, I have to use the bathroom." I said pointing at the nearby bathroom and ran in.

I wanted him to leave so I could go without him being in my room. I walked to the bathroom, closed the door shut and sat on the edge of the bathroom sink.

What should I do? I mean Jonathan likes me, but I mean, I can't fall for him. He's a heartbreaker and he's just trying to take hold of my heart and in one week break it.

Why was I even thinking of this? He knew I was Girl Behind the Mic!!

Now everyone knew my identity. Argh!! I should just shut down my Youtube account!!

I sighed. I think I should just reveal my identity on my Youtube Channel. It would be easier than hiding a secret from people I know.

I sighed and walked out of the bathroom and saw no Jonathan, thank god! I ran downstairs smelling the delicous smell of spaghetti. To see Jonathan in my seat. I always sat there, there was even crayon that said 'EmiLy' on it. Yes I love capitalizing my L's!

"Hey you're in my seat." I said quietly as I tugged the hem of my shirt as a thread was removed.

"It doesn't have your name on it." He said.

"It does." I pointed out.

"Where?"

"Underneath" He grabbed the chair with one hand and looked under. In purple crayon was 'EmiLy' just like I remembered.

"Aha!" I said mocking him.

After dinner my mom made me walk him to his car or I was grounded.

"Be my girlfriend." He said leaning against the door of his car.

I was suddenly unable to speak and as soon as I knew it, I was backed up against the door of his car and Jonathan was cornering.

His lips met mine and that was all I needed to know.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

167K 6.4K 48
Andie is a girl who always had a dream to dance. She specialised in hiphop dance. She never showed anyone her skills. She never wants to. Until...
17.3K 621 37
Cassia Winters is sent to a camp by her father, King Julius, who insists it will fix her. And when Cassia arrives, she becomes enemies with the poor...
251K 7K 33
COMPLETED ✔️ *** top rankings *** • #1 in pedropascal • #42 in money • #2 in tvshowfanfic • #1 in narcotics • #33 in tvshow "Lies are necessary wh...
259K 10.1K 44
#3 love- Wed, 3 Apr (2024) #1 yanderefanfic- Thu, 8 Feb (2024) #1 insanity- Sun, 28 Jan (2024) #1 obsessed - Thu, 15 Jun (2023) #3 crazy- Sun, 9 Jul...