So Close Yet So Far

By blissful_reveries

My poorly patched up heart had been broken and crushed again. They said the second time wouldn’t hurt as muc... More

Chapter 1: Memories
Chapter 2: The Incident
Chapter 3: Talk About a Shocker
Chapter 4: And So We Meet Again
Chapter 5: 'Y' My 'X'
Chapter 6: Fresh Starts and Sweet Dreams
Chapter 7: 'Loser' is Not Your Style
Chapter 8: Dinner for Two
Chapter 10: Sugar, Spice and an Unexpected Twist
Chapter 11: Catch Me While I Drown
Chapter 12: The Not-So-Calm after a Storm
Chapter 13: Study Buddies

Chapter 9: You're Dating Who?

656 33 11
By blissful_reveries

☆ Spencer McCarter ☆

     For God's sake. What is this, kindergarten?

     I rolled my eyes as I scribbled down the last answer to the ten page math worksheets Mr. Steiller had given to us at the beginning of class. Getting through this class was a piece of cake and the shining A on my report card was going to be a shoe-in. Releasing my hold on the pencil and leaning comfortably back on my chair, my eyes looked upon all the other students still doing the math work. 

     Yes, I know that my posture was extremely taunting to the others but hey, not everyone gets to be a math genius like me. And besides, math was the sole reason I got back into this school with a scholarship anyways. Not that I was lacking in any other subject. 

     My eyes landed on an empty seat, specifically, Macy’s empty seat. She wasn’t at school today, which probably meant that she was sick. To be honest, I kind of liked watching Macy in math class. It’s amusing seeing her struggle with equations, and her nose crinkling every time she got confused.

     Since I was the only one finished with the worksheets and Mr. Steiller didn’t tell us what to do after, boredom attacked me. Sighing at the slow pace the other students were working at, I took out my phone and texted Riley. Turns out he was also the only one done in his class. Well, what can I say? Smart, popular and, (don’t forget) good looking people flock together.

     My phone vibrated again, indicating another message from Riley. But before I could slide my finger across the touchscreen to view it, Mr. Steiller called out my name.

     “Could you come up for a second?”

     Everyone was still occupied with their “difficult” math problems so none of them really payed much attention to the teacher or me. I got up from my seat and made my way over to the front of the classroom where Mr. Steiller’s desk was located.

     “Spencer, I need you to help a student out.”

     “Help?” I asked, not liking where this was headed.

     “This student is going to be missing school for the whole week and she’ll need some help with catching up on the math work we’re doing in class.” Mr. Steiller took off his glasses then continued, “Since you’re one of the school’s top students I figured it might be ideal for you to tutor her for a while.”

     “I’m not really the kind to tutor people.”

     “You don’t even want to know who you’re tutoring?”

     “I don’t do tutoring.” I deadpanned.

     “Go figure.” He flipped through the tests we did last week and pulled one out of the stack. “What if I told you the person who needed tutoring was,” He held up the test, “Miss. Morgan?”

     The test in Mr. Steiller’s hand was definitely Macy’s, and on it, was the letter ‘D’ circled in bold red marker.

     Macy getting a D? The world must be ending.

     “Macy dropped terribly since the beginning of the year and her mother has called me to ask for some tutoring help for her daughter. I thought you’d be the best choice, considering your flying marks. 

     “Well, what do you think?” He prompted me again.

     I stood there staring at the test contemplating my choices, all the while openly accepting all the compliments Mr. Steiller was throwing at me. Watching Macy struggle with math was one thing, but helping her with it was another.

     Soon after, the bell rang and class was out. The students packed their stuff and hurried to exit the classroom; probably glad that they didn’t have to finish the worksheet. I walked back to my desk and picked up my things. Slinging my bag over my shoulder, I casually made my way past the teachers desk to the door. 

     “I’ll think about it.” I simply said as I passed Mr. Steiller.

     "You’ll have to arrange your own times and make sure that you’ve got all the content covered!” He called out to me as I rounded the door and entered the noisy hallway.

~~**~~**~~**~~**~~

     Biology finally ended and we were dismissed from class. After passing out several ‘sup’ nods and giving giggling girls crooked smiles in the hallway, I arrived at my locker. I could make out Riley’s voice as soon as I neared my locker and realized that him and my friends were talking just around the corner. 

     At least seven party invitations flew out the moment I opened the locker door. I picked them up and looked them over. Birthday parties, dinner parties, costume parties, and oh, a yacht party. How enticing. 

     I stuffed all the invites back into my locker, where a pile already seemed to be emerging. Denise, a girl from my Biology class popped up beside me. Looking for a stereotypical high school girl? Denise is your girl. She fits every characteristic to a glove, including being popular and a cheerleader. She looks better than most girls with her blonde hair and blue eyes but frankly she was kinda - scratch that - very annoying.  

     “Spencer, are you going to Lucille’s yacht party next Tuesday?”

     “Maybe.” I said nonchalantly.

     “I heard that she’s making it special for the couples that go.” She paused and batted her eyes in what she thought was attractively. “And I also heard that you are currently single.”

     I closed my locker and secured the lock. Turning to Denise, I faced her with a vacant expression and blinked once. Most girls would have picked up on the clue that I wasn’t interested but she didn’t budge. 

     “How could a guy like you be single? Its not good for your reputation you know...” She ran her fingers up my arm flirtatiously. I clenched my teeth, forcing myself to refrain from smacking her hand away. Which was hard considering her hand kept exploring my upper body.

     “I’m not going.”

     “But why? Everyone is going and Lucille said something about coup-”

     I cut off her nonsense babbling. “No, I’m not going with you.

     Hurt washed over her eyes and a I could see a glassy veil appearing. 

     God no.

     “Listen Denise, I’m sorry.”

     Then I simply turned and walked away to join Riley. Before I could turn the corner, I felt a tap on my shoulder. Goddammit! When will Denise get the message? I am not going to the party with her! Irritatedly, I turned around.

     “For the last time, I will not go to the par-”

     But it wasn’t Denise that stood in front of me. It was a very confused looking new guy. A very confused looking guy that I just yelled at. I think his name was Andrew or something. 

     “That wasn’t meant for you.” 

     “Uh...”

     “You’re Andrew?” I said, changing the subject.

     “Adrian.” He corrected.

     I readjusted the shoulder strap of my bag. “Just pretend I didn’t say anything, okay?”

     “Actually... I... need your help.” 

     Help, help, help. First Mr. Steiller and now this Adrian guy. 

     I sighed. “With?”

     “...Can we talk somewhere... private?” Adrian fiddled with his fingers.

     “No. Make it quick.” 

     “O...okay...” He gulped. “I... like Meagan.”

     With one of my eyebrows raised, I asked, “Gardena?” He nodded. “And you’re telling me this, why?”

     “Because I’ve noticed that you’re pretty good friends with Meagan, and I wanted to know how to get close to her so that I might have a chance to go out with her.” He said everything in one breath and blushed beet red.

     “Do I look like some kind of match maker to you?” I said, getting restless.

     “No, I just...” He paused then hesitantly continued, “Could you just tell her that I’m interested?”

     “And why can’t you tell her yourself?”

     “I can’t seem to find a way to near her - alone, I mean she’s always either hanging out with Macy or she’s with her other friends. Could you just help a guy out?” 

     I thought it over. “Fine. I’ll pass on the message. But that’s it.” Then I walked away to the car park to retrieve my car.

     Seriously, that Adrian guy was a hopeless wreck. Wanting to get with the girl he likes but doesn’t even have the guts to tell her himself. I rolled my eyes. What was I getting myself into being the messenger of his love? This is the first and last time I’ll ever do something like this. I swear, if anyone finds out about it, I’ll be as socially dead as a rock.

     Rolling back my shoulders I walked over to the school’s main doors. There, I saw Meagan sitting under the tree shade reapplying who-knows-what to her face and I figured it would be best to get the message out and over with. 

     I cleared my throat after I made my way to her. That caught her attention and she plunked everything in her hand back into her bag.

     “Hey Spence.” She smiled up at me.

Let’s cut to the chase, shall we?

     “The new guy,” I said, motioning towards the school, “he likes you.”

     “Adrian Jenner?” Her eyes widened a little in shock; or horror.

     I nodded and raked my hand through my hair. “Well, my work here is done.” I waved, “See ya’.” Just as I turned to walk away, Meagan got up and gripped my arm.

     “We need to do something about this.” She declared firmly.

     Turning my head to the side, I looked for anyone in particular that she could have been talking to. No one seemed to be looking our way, which meant she said that for me to hear.

     “Wait, what do you mean 'we'?” I frowned and shook my head. “This is a girl problem.”

     Meagan sighed and slumped her shoulders. “Macy’s at a theatre convention for the whole week, Janelle is at volleyball practice, and Lucy is too busy snuggling up to her honeybuns, so we need to go to your house to talk.”

     So that’s why Macy’s not here... Theatre convention.

     I waved my hand dismissively, “You don’t even know where I live.”

     She smirked and patted my shoulder, “Honey, that’s why you’re driving me there.” 

~~**~~**~~**~~**~~

♡ Macy Morgan ♡

     I outstretched my arms and let out a small yawn. Ah, finally back in California after a week of theatre convention - or what the teachers call it, theatre camp. The ten hour flight from London back to California did no wonders to my sore muscles nor did the airplane food to my appetite. 

     I breathed out a sigh of relief and smiled. Everything can be back to normal now that this convention is over. I had my phone switched off for the whole flight because I only brought it for emergencies. 

     After passing through immigration and baggage claim I took out my phone and switched it on. The Apple logo illuminated the screen and after a few seconds my phone was bombarded with texts and missed calls from the past week. Most of which were courtesy of Meagan. 

     Scrolling through Meg’s numerous texts about parties and sleepovers, only one caught my eye. One text that stood painfully apart from the others. One shocking, wretched, soul crushing text.

     ...What?

     [Spencer and I are dating!]

~~**~~**~~**~~**~~

 A/N:

I'm posting this before I leave for Thailand so I hope it'll make up for the time I won't be able to update for the moment :)

The next chapter will be intense :) You'll want to keep an eye out for it!

Please vote!! It only takes 2.5 seconds! :D

See ya'll soon!

xoxo.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18K 647 23
Lexi was once young, innocent, and perfect. She had the picture-perfect life and family to fit in with it all. She believed all those fairy tales he...
1.6K 384 36
*COMPLETED* Ever since Emily's twin, Emma, died in a car crash, Emily has been looking for a note that Emma used her last words to tell Emily about...
249K 7.1K 20
Before I knew it my shirt was torn away from my torso and tossed on the floor, Charlie's doing the same. Our kiss intensified and I felt him groan ag...
501 97 35
Someone's tricking him, playing with his life. He never realized that, he thought it was his fault the whole damn time. He was so much in misery that...