His Last Joke (Sequel to His...

By DCfreakxox

Previously after Eva getting involved in pursuing a certain jewel with The Joker and The Riddler. Evangeline... More

Blank
Home?
I'm Back!
Patient 0801
Therapy Begins
Back Story ?!
I Know You
Glass Slides and Love Bugs
Dinners and Skype Calls
Concrete.
Home?
Settling Back
Just Like Me!
History Repeats Itself
8:30-ish
Behind The Cowl
Is This Goodbye?
Take Me To Him
Here Comes Natalie
Wayne Manor
Fake Blondes
Hot Dogs and Chess?
Alone
Falling Back
Miss me?
Founder's island
Package Delivery
Breaking The Bat
Titan
The Power's Call
Test Results
Merry Christmas
Batman To The Rescue
Put Batsie On Speed Dial
The Bat Has To Die
Daughter of The Demon
The Demon Trials
The Grand Finale
Author's Note

Black Out

2.5K 136 107
By DCfreakxox

~ Chapter 25 ~

 * 3 days later *

  Right now, I was currently making my way to the asylum.  I had spent the last 3 days just visiting Jack and having him tell me about the dreams he has then giving him some Xanax pills and leaving. The first day he was getting very snappy but however the last two days he has been strangely..calmer than usual.

As usual, I signed in, dropped off my bag, and headed up to Jack's room. I can't deny that this feels nothing like how it used to be when I used to work here. Now, it doesn't even feel like work. I just come here everyday and just chat with Jack for a while and then leave. My old work days had consisted of about 3-4 enraged patients and piles of paper work per day. I sighed as the elevator dinged and I walked down the ICU hall to Jack's room.  When I reached Jack's room I found his door closed and I automatically opened it without hesitation. As the door half opened it revealed Natalie standing at the side of Jack's bed, hunched down so she was covering the most of his figure as they were kissing. I felt a rush of heat and anger roam my body as I quickly bit my tongue, stopping the words I was about to yell. I wasn't supposed to care about him that way. To both of them I was 'engaged'. Even if it was to him, he didn't know that. He didn't know I loved him. 

I would be lying if I didn't say I felt tears sting my eye and a heavy weight and burning in my throat. But I did my best to collect myself and managed to get out three words.

"Well that's new." I seethed.

And oh at that moment if looks could kill.

I had managed to look away and clear my throat since Natalie ignored my previous remark and the opening of the door and continued to make out with him anyway. After clearing my throat she had pulled away but was still staring at him and giggling.

That was it.

"Good morning! Jack." I highered my voice as I gave the door a few loud knocks, then cursed at myself for not having anything better to say. I must've sounded so pathetic.

She finally turned around with the smugest smile plastered on her face.

"Mornin' Doc." She sing-songed as she swayed her head sideways. I then tilted my head and gave her a tight smile as I squinched at her.

She took a small pause next to me and I turned to her.

"Satisfied?!" I whispered.

"Very." She smirked and I gave her another fake smile and moved past her as she left.

When she closed the door I turned to Jack who was still smirking to himself.

"How are you feeling today?" I asked.

"Better." His grinned and I got what he was hinting at and kept a straight face so he stopped.

"Well, have you had any more dreams last night?" I asked him looking down at my notebook not being able to look at him anymore.

He then turned serious and said he hadn't remembered much and started talking about something  he may have remembered the other day about someone betraying him but I honestly couldn't pay attention to a word he was saying. It all went over my ears. The scenario I had walked in on kept replaying itself in my head. Oh how I wished I had knocked before I entered, and knocked loud enough so that I would've startled them and they would've left each other and I would've never had to walk in on that and witness it first hand. And so I sat there bubbling with anger and frustration and jealousy as Jack rambled on for about an hour and before I excused myself and left.

* 2 weeks later *

  2 weeks had passed since I caught Natlie kissing Jack in his room and ever since then she made sure I'd find her there every single time I went up to his room. Even though she'd leave right after she'd seen me. Jack however had been acting stranger than usual. He seemed more inquisitive about me than I about him the past 2 weeks. Somedays the topic was barely even about him. I positioned myself in front of Jack's room and sighed, readying myself to be face by Natalie's daily bitching. 

I finally opened the door but was surprised to not find her in there. I looked around think she must've been in the bathroom or something but she wasn't. My eyes finally landed on Jack who had his eyebrows raised at my actions. 

"Hey.." I said quietly and moved over to sit infront of him.

"Hello Eva." He grinned. You see what I mean?!

"So, how are you feeling?" I asked.

"I'm fine. How are you, today?" He tilted his head slightly before straightening it back.

"I'm good.."

"I see Natalie hasn't visited you this morning." I couldn't help but remark as I looked down at my notebook and clicked my pen against it.

"She doesn't always have to be here. She's not my lapdog, doll." He replied and my head snapped up at him.

"Wait. What did you just call me?!" I questioned him.

"What?" He shrugged.

"You just..you just said something. You called me something." I repeated.

"I can't remember." He gave me a small smiled.

"No you do. You called me doll. Why did you call me that?!" I asked him.

"It's nothing. It's just a pet name, doll." He replied.

"You said it again!" I raised my eyebrows at him.

"Did you remember something? Are you hiding something from me?!" I questioned him.

"No Eva, jeez it was just an endearment label. You know, to show fondness. That is all." He stressed and I dropped it.

I didn't question him any further but in my mind I knew something was up. He definitley remembered something and wouldn't tell me. I just needed to find out what it was.

We then carried on with the session and I tried to pretend like nothing of significance just happened but my heart was hammering against my chest and sweat was starting to form down my back. This was the closest I've ever been to getting him back but no matter what he keeps pushing me away and hiding stuff from me. After about 2 hours I decided it was time to leave his room because I still had some paper work to hand over. It was the begining of a new month and I had to give in an update on Jack's state and update his health files. Besides with December kicking in I didn't feel like staying up late to finish these papers then walking out to the main road in the cold night air.

"Alright, I think that's enough for today. I gotta go finish some papers before it turns dark. Bye Jack." I said as I stood up and he followed.

He opened the door for me and I walked out of his room. I made my way down the hallway and midway through I heard him call after me.

"I'll see ya later, Angel." I heard as I turned and saw him smirk at me before entering his room and closing the door.

I suddenly felt my blood run cold and rushed my way out of the ICU hall. He definitley knew something but there was no use in questioning him. He wasn't giving anything away. I made my way to my desk and pulled out my paper work and started working on it. It took me about 2 hours to get the first file finished since I kept zoning out and thinking about Jack's change of attitude. By the time I was finished it was 7PM. I gathered the files and put them in my drawer to hand them in in the morning. I then grabbed my bag and things and headed out of the asylum. 

I descended the stairs as I did everyday and walked outside of the gates and onto the side road. I looked around and the usual cabs lined up to pick up any workers or doctors weren't there in their usual line. That was weird. The street was completely empty. You could almost hear the lamp posts' bulbs' light vibrate as it slightly flickered on and off. I walked down to the end of the road and made a turned right, walking down the main road. I looked to my right and there was no one there. I then began walking left, and further down the main road as I saw a car.

 It was parked across the road, blocking anyone else from passing through and closing down the entire road. Not that any other car was anywhere in sight anyway.  I decided to approach the car and see if anyone was in there. I made my way further down the road and stopped a few feet away from the car as I didn't find anyone inside. I furrowed my eyebrows and turned around to check if anyone else was there but right there and then, everything went black.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

HEY GUYSS!!

SO! Here's another update!!!

Hope you guys enjoy this one and it goes to all your likings.

I will be posting another update today and hopefully two.

Don't forget to comment your thoughts and vote x

Sorry for the cliff hanger if you read this before the other chapter is posted xD

Hope you're all having a great day x

Much love xxx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

51.1K 1.8K 30
Sequel to 'Fools'. Six months have passed since the events at Arkham Asylum and both Charlotte Bateman and Edward Nygma are still locked up and kept...
10.4K 581 43
Per·plex·i·ty: inability to deal with or understand something complicated or unaccountable. The Riddler. His mission, figure out a way for the him an...
304K 9.4K 34
"Its been two weeks since he died, I could never get him out of my head. I wish I could've done something to save him.. Now he just haunts my Nightma...
108K 3.7K 43
***Cover courtesy of immortal_snuggie!*** The sequel to Riddle me this, Riddle me Kat! *Complete!* Katrina had endured just about everything life cou...