The Classic Tale of You and Me

By shirai-hisaishi

Farm boys. Len and Rei have different dreams, different goals in life, but both have the thirst to achieve th... More

Prologue
Chapter II: Sir Leon's niece
Chapter III: Kite and Life
Chapter IV: Sleepover
Chapter V: Dreams
Chapter VI: Broken Dreams
Chapter VII: Two Fates
Chapter VIII: Dear Wind
Chapter IX: Nōnus Annus
Chapter X: The Blond Visitor
Chapter XI: The Man behind the Mask
Chapter XII: Sir Leonard d' Alembert - The Wicked
Chapter XIII: The Eye Doctor
Chapter XIV: The Round Table
Chapter XV: The Knight and His Muse
Chapter XVI: The Cry in the Mellow Manor
Chapter XVII: Meeting Len of Green Fields
Chapter XVIII: The Old You
Chapter XIX: One Summer's Day
Epilogue

Chapter I: Len of the Green Fields

296 23 8
By shirai-hisaishi

The green field was covered with orange lights as soon as the sun lowered from the sky. Len, watching the sunset on their porch, had his eyes steadied on the scattering of light behind the mountains. It was a cold afternoon and the darkness was just around the sky, waiting for the sun's departure. He seemed not bothered by the cold wind although he lacked to wear something thicker than his stained shirt. His cuffs were unbuttoned, permitting the cold air to circulate on his arms.

"Len? Mother is looking for you," an older blonde came out from the door looking like she's on her early 20s. A checkered bandana kept her short golden hair out of her way. She was Len's older sister, Rin. Her gaze softened as she saw her younger brother spacing out. "What are you thinking, Len?"

The boy looked at her with a gentle smile, then sighed. His eyes studied the old skirt and apron his sister is wearing, but nonetheless not lasting. "Nothing much, sister. You'll be leaving in a month." His smile saddened. "Are you sure you love that merchant?"

"You seem not concerned about my marriage for the past month. What makes you ask, Len?" His sister tapped his shoulder and sat beside him, watching the stars to come out. "I love him more than you imagine. We've been friends since we're kids."

"Huh? I haven't seen him since I was born, with few exceptions of summer days." Len protested, still not welcoming the thought of his sister marrying, or the concept of marriage itself.

"I know him more than you do, Len. He's a merchant, nothing's new." Rin pulled him up and walked them inside their little cabin because the coldness was freezing her. "So, what's in your mind? I know you're thinking of something to invent."

Rin was Len's sister, older by ten years. She was the supportive sibling Len could ever have. The two of them find ways to do Len's ideas, constructing his little inventions through collecting items found in the field. The last time they built something, Len went remaking Leonardo Da Vinci's flying machine but the boy ended spraining an ankle.

So, to avoid further accidents, Rin introduced Len to her friend, Sir Leon from the clock tower. She used to deliver milk every morning to the noble bachelor since she was seven, no doubt that he would be friendly with her younger brother. Len was nine when he met the man from the clock tower. Like Len, the man was a creative being. The only difference is that, the man was formally educated from an academe where the famous philosophers, who Rin only knew by name, had studied. The bachelor lived his life without having his family. Thus, he dedicated his life widening his knowledge and sharing it to willing learners. Rin saw Len's potential as a scholar. He was a diamond in the rough, Rin thought. He could be the brightest diamond if polished.

"I'm thinking of how can we produce more crops within a year. Various crops, specifically. Shall I consult Sir Leon's books about plant propagation? " Len asked as they settled on their dining table, a fair wood cut like a table. The older sister just gave a bitter laugh and said that what Len was talking about was crop rotation. No books needed.

×
Len was from a family of farmers. They would never be able to call the land as their own because the aristocrats took it away from their ancestors as a compensation after murdering a noble. So, the part of land where they were living was the only part of land they could call as their property. Len's family was known in the small town for having the looks of a royalty - golden hair and blue eyed, though royalties were recognized having the redheads, after the late Queen. Many agreed that the humble family might be from a royalty. But the blondes knew how to ignore and stop dreaming to reach the castle. It's too impossible for peasants like them to come from the king's bloodline, especially when there were a lot of blonde and blue eyed people.

Len as a child was raised with cows, sheep and other farm animals. Together with his father's tall black dog, the boy grew spending his mornings with cows by milking them. His thick skinned feet were very used to the sharp blades of the grasses and his pale skin marked with freckles was acquainted with the sun. He developed his curiosity with the growing crops and how his father grow them. Len spent his mornings in cultivating the land, putting the stuffs that would make the soil fertile.

One time, when he was eight, Rei, their neighbor, joined him resting under the shade of a tree. The raven haired boy was rambling about how mighty the knights when their fleet passed by the clock tower from the border. "They were like statues riding horses! They were wearing metal armors that you could hear clattering as they pass by you! And I'm sure you'd adorn them as they proudly display the flag with the Queen's emblem!"

Len watched his friend talk about the Queen's army but of course, he wouldn't shun the guy by saying he wasn't truly interested with the knights, swords and wars. The blond boy was more of a peace loving person. He appreciates the heroism of the Queen's soldiers as they protect the kingdom, but Len wasn't fond of bloodbath and territorial dispute. Len was a kind boy, and all he could do was to talk with Rei, filtering the words coming out of his mouth.

Because Len was someone likeable, it didn't take so long for Rei and him to get along so well. The cold mornings were spent by the two, dashing across the field with Len's black dog. Len was always the last in the race to the cows. Rei would tease him being such a slowpoke and clumsy. Years of living in a field didn't help Len improve his stamina, he was sickly. Rei bet that the dog could last a ten mile run better than Len. It wasn't so long until Len began opening up his dreams and questions in life. He told Rei how much he loved to put the things together as if they were having connections, as if they were made to be a part of something else bigger. And so, Len's sister helped them building Len's first innovation, a mill. The thing helped their family producing finer flour in a shorter time. He gained recognition in the town as a Renaissance man for he unknowingly adopted the ideas from England.

Rei and Len enjoyed Rin's company -- being the eldest, she does all the work, until the boys managed to do the work by themselves. Rei was the stronger boy, he was the one to build Len's ideas when Rin busied herself delivering milk and crop to the neighborhood and to the market near the castle. So, when winter came and there's nothing much to do, Len, Rei and Rin would stay together in the blonde's house and warm themselves. Rei would collect the twigs and branches to burn in the fireplace, warm milk for the three of them. He was more concerned of Rin than Len. So, if there's someone devastated about Rin's marriage, that would be Rei. Rei liked Rin ever since she helped them. Len was saddened at that news but not as downcast as Rei was. But Rei knew that Rin only liked him as a brother.

"Why? Do you like her more than a sibling does?" That's a question Len asked when he was unable to understand Rei's bawl, the moment they were left on the fireplace. "You're just nine, what do you know about what you feel?" The blond added, making the raven haired boy more furious.

"There's no girl like her, Len!" Rei cried.

"Of course, there's no other girl like my sister." Len answered, though he wasn't having the same attraction Rei had, he could feel him -- the feeling that someone would be taken away from you, that hurts in one way or another. The two of them stared at the orange flames dancing in front them, an arm around each other.
×

"Len," Rin called as she dried her hands with the apron around her waist. "I haven't seen Rei in a little while. How is he?" The lady sat behind Len, peering onto his scribbles - a new machinery he was planning to build. An amused smile spread across Rin's face as she watched how Len tries to do a complex illustration. "Is that a handle?"

"He's busy strengthening himself, sister. He'd be going with Madam Prima in the kingdom proper to join the squire. Remember his stories about knights? He was decided to be one." Len explained as he labeled the parts of the machinery he was drawing. " - Yes, this is a handle."

The older sibling smiled as she kept an eye on her younger brother, her witty, imaginative brother. Her hand reached the top of his, her thumb massaging his skin. Len stopped from his work and stared blankly at his sister's weird affection, then looked at his sister's warm smile. "Continue your journey, Len." Rin met his eyes, both blue eyes were glistening against the orange flames. "Even sister will be living a life of her own, if you think I can help you, don't hesitate asking me. I'd love to participate building that flying machine,"

The boy smiled at his sister as he nodded, placing a palm above his sister's bigger hand. "I will," he assured, returning the caress Rin gave his hand. "You're my first worker, sister. You'll be the one I'll consult when I'm in trouble, you knew things better than I."

"No, you're mistaken. You're a smart boy, you'll find a place for you, not here. Your ideas shall not be concealed in a place like this. You see things better than I do, Len. I'll work hard so you can study in an academe." Rin was the supportive sister Len could ever have, "I want your ideas to grow like our crops. Bear fruit and sustain others. You'll ease others' lives. I'll work hard to give you education."

"I am glad to hear that, sister. But you should think of your own life, I'll be fine. Sir Leon as a mentor is enough, sis. There's no luck to be searched in the academe. If one is truly gifted, it will show. I'm not saying I am, but...I don't know what I am saying. Just mind your life," Len stood and tucked his papers neatly on the side of his bedside table. Rin watched him hid beneath his sheets as he informed the lady about Rei's disappointment about her marriage. Rin laughed and promised to talk to the boy tomorrow. With a last glance on her brother, Rin blew the candlelight and left his room.

Under the thin sheet, Len bit his lower lip in regret with his words. He wanted to study in an academe and help their little town. He was eager to learn more but there's no luck shining on his life. He wasn't ignorant at all. Len perfectly knew that they were poor, poor as a rat, being mere peasants working for an aristocrat. The world wasn't fair, only few could feel the progress, but not them - peasants. The world would progress, open larger opportunities but not for them. Only the noble people who could be favored by the kingdom could benefit from the figures, but they would remain untouched.

Rei was right, there's a lot of opportunities so why settle down for less. But again, Len closed his eyes and listened to the small voice inside of him. The emptier you hand is, the more you can hold. He was looking forward to holding something that will change the world and his life.

"I have an errand to run tomorrow, I shall not bother myself with the world's unfair theater." Len whispered to himself and chose to relax, sleep.

x

When Len woke, the warm rays of sun told him that his sister left their house. Rin usually leaves the house to deliver milk and the harvest to market -- and today is not different. Without any ado, Len rose from his bed and raced with his dog to the field. The gleaming golden streak of light across the blue sky made him laugh merrily. The cold air kissed his face as the morning dew gave the same treatment on his feet through the grasses. His dog barked as if laughing with him as they ran amidst the eternal greenness of the field. Len's fringe was blown aside, showing off his forehead, round and clear.

Len stopped when he felt his lungs retire from a short dash. He stood amidst of the field, panting heavily while his eyes were fixed on the golden scattering rays of sun, creating the silhouette of the bordering mountains. Early birds flew above him towards the sun. A bright smile lit his face, though tired, he gathered his breath.

"I want to fly!" His voice resonated for miles until he heard it scream back to him. "I want to fly!" It said. Len's smile faded, he knew he could not. He wasn't as free as the birds in the fields. He was a bird with wings unopened. He was a bird in a cage, a cage where he truly belonged. The only thing left for him was to dream. At least, his ideas wasn't caged like his life.

The dog's bark made Len spun around, the black dog was already beside a cow they would milk for breakfast. The blond heaved a sigh, and without a choice, ran to his dog so the day would get started.
And in the end, he knew that the optimism he showed Rei was nothing but a sugar coated motivation that encourages his friend to seek his life away from their farm life. Rei was capable of finding his true north in the city, he was strong and clever, unlike Len, coward. The blond was sure that Rei would find his fulfillment because he had the will and guts to find his fate, while he? He would rely on the stars.

x

"Sir Leon, these were just huge bags. Where could have your niece had gone?" Len asked as he stood beside the blond man on his doorstep, watching the coachman to unload numerous suitcases from the carriage. The impatient boy he was, Len removed his hat. He wore his best dress shirt even it was old and yellowish, just to look presentable for his mentor's niece. Len knew that his mentor's attention would be divided between him and his niece as the two of them would undergo Leon's supervision.

"That's a question I cannot answer, Len. I, myself, have no idea where she had gone. I have never seen her. Well, I once had a glimpse of her as an infant, but that would lead to no recognition at all." Leon smiled at the coachman as he nodded to take his departure. "Thank you, sir." Leon bowed.

"The lady asked me to bring her to the church so I think she will be waiting for you to give her a lift," the coachman informed and left. Leon and Len exchanged a chortle as they busied themselves carrying the suitcases inside the scholar's house.

Minutes after, Len and Leon was riding the scholar's cart, pulled by his horse. Against the morning sun, the two headed to the church which was a mile or two away. The rough high road made the scholar grumpy, he wasn't a nomad and he disliked going from places to places. It was a Sunday morning and the turnpike was quiet, people were most probably inside the church. Leon fixed his tricorn and heaved a sigh. When he felt like he doesn't want to talk, he wouldn't say a thing at all.

Len looked at his mentor briefly and back on the road. The field beside the road was turning bright green against the sun. He perked up from Leon's shoulder to have a good view of the people irrigating their crops. Len remembered his parents doing such work. Just then, Leon noticed Len's outfit.

"You look good on a steinkerk and waistcoat, Len." Leon smiled. "If you become a noble, you'd wear such clothing all your life."

"There's a little possibility for me to become one, sire." Len went behaved on his seat as he saw the bell tower from where they are. People began walking out of the church as Len heard the faint bell ringing. "The mass is over. Don't we need to hurry?"

"No, I don't think so. I think my niece won't get out of the church until we arrive." Though Leon said that, he still whipped the horse to quicken its pace. "How is your friend, anyway? The one who wished to be a knight?"

"He shall meet Madame Prima today so he'll know if he can make it to the squire today."

"Don't you feel bad for him? Your close friend is leaving. Does it not sadden you even the tiniest?" The horse stopped and Leon jumped off from the cart first, then assisted the younger blond down.

"I don't know," Len answered as they entered the church. A church composition was being played on the piano. Leon and Len countered the flow of people leaving the church niy they managed to get in as soon as the song finished. The cardinal who recognized Leon called him from the altar.

"Sir Leon of Northern Pines!"

"Cardinal, it's good to see you still strong."

"Oh, who's this kid with you?" The lines on the priest's face made Len agree with Leon's greeting to the cardinal, it's good to see him still strong despite his age.

"This is Len of Green Fields. I'm sure you heard his name before. He made the first mill in this town." Leon proudly introduced Len to the cardinal as if he was bragging the potential of the kid.

"O' yes! Such kid earned the title of the town for his little invention! Glad to meet you, young sir." There was sarcasm with the priest's face as he voiced such words. Such icon who was thought holy could be that terrifying, really. Len took a step back, disliking the fake smile with the cardinal's yellow and unequal teeth.

Leon cleared his throat to pry the creepy stare the cardinal is giving his student. "I came here to know if my niece had gone into this place. Is she here?"

"Your niece, you say? You really had a gifted family, Sir Leon. She volunteered to be the harpsichordist, because ours was ill. Take the stairs behind the altar, she was on the platform for the choir."

"Thank you, cardinal. We shall leave, God bless you."

"God bless you and your student."

Len's eyes lingered for a moment on the frail image of the priest as they moved away. The scary smirk he had made Len conclude not to attend a mass conducted by such old man.

A new melody was being played as they ascended from the stairs. Len wasn't a fan of music but he surely adored the way the notes were played to create a wonderful music. The music illustrated a beautiful image in Len's mind -- a beauty unseen by the eyes.

"My niece, Miku. Is that you?" Leon asked at the moment he laid an eye on the girl seated before the harpsichord. The girl was wearing a red bonnet complimenting her Victorian dress in rose's shade. Frills and ruffles overwhelmed her clothing, Len observed. Her waistcoat created an illusion that her waist was that small -- or her waist was really small?

"Is that you uncle, Leon?"

"Yes."

"Can you play this with me?" The girl asked, head not turning to their direction. "Mother said you're good with such musical instrument." Leon's niece sounded so cheerful. And girlish.

"Is that a challenge question? My sister knew I am a naïve in music," Leon laughed and went to her side. "Let's go to your new home, Miku. I'm your uncle."

"Sure, uncle." The girl turned around and Len noticed her strange eyes. Those eyes were blue but there's something wrong with them. "Will you assist me to come down? I didn't come up here all by myself, if that's what you're thinking." Her smile was angelic and captivating.

Leon remained quiet but his face was inquisitive. He was about to ask after his silence, but his niece continued her talk.

"I lost my sense of sight years ago."

×

Along the way back to the house behind the clock tower, Len sat in front his mentor's niece at the back of the cart. The girl was quiet and unmoving, maybe pretending to be a doll. She looked like one, not so thin but relatively lean, pale and just staring. Her eyes were like the polar ice on the map. Len's eyes weren't leaving the girl as they carried on the rough ride, assuring that she was really blind and not playing a trick on them. And because they were behind Leon, Len went close to her and did stupid things. But no reaction.

"How old are you?" She suddenly spoke that it made Len retreat to his seat gentlemanly.

"Eleven, miss." He tried to sound noble even it sounded foreign to him.

"Ah," silence. Len suspiciously eyed her again, she was just smiling as she rubbed her bare palms together. "It's a cold weather you have here. Will it rain?"

"It's sunny, can't you s-- I mean, it's sunny." Len forgot that she was blind for he was being too suspicious. A beautiful girl couldn't lie, could she? She seemed wise when she asked a challenge to Sir Leon. So, what drives Len mad?

"Sunny, yet cold. It was different from the place where I came from." She said and removed her bonnet, and let her shoulder length hair fall down. It was teal. Her hair was teal. Len gaped at the sight of such hair color. If the girl could see him, she would laugh. Luckily she couldn't so he kept on gawking and admiring her hair.

"W-where... Haven't you came from the neighboring kingdom?" Len asked, fingers reaching to touch her hair.

"Neighboring? I traveled for days by the Atlantic, is that a neighbor? I'm from the colony. It was a tropic country were the season is either wet or dry. It's like summer and fall, alone." She explained as she combed her candle fingers to her hair. "You could feel the heat during the day and night. Wet season is sometimes shorter than the dry one. People wear their summer clothes for almost a whole year through."

"Is your hair natural? I have never seen this hair color."

"I don't know. The last time I saw it, it was teal. Is the color the same? Isn't it darker or what?"

"No. It's teal, still." Len held her unsteady gaze. "How old are you when you lost your sight?"

"I was seven." Her voice changed into something that qualified as hurt.

"Sorry," Len murmured. "Pray, say if this talk is hard for you."

"It's fine. At least, I can recall how colors used to look. Years of not seeing makes me forget. I remember how things looked in a blur."

"Kids, we're here." Leon announced as the cart came to a halt.

Len sighed and took the mentor's niece's hand and led her down. He was sure that Rei would love to hear a new story he would tell him. His mentor's blind niece and her weird but beautiful hair.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

45.3K 1.9K 20
Hatsune Miku is your everyday school girl. She has average grades, does well in sports and is one of the best singers in school. She seems perfect fo...
100K 3.2K 30
(Important: DO NOT REPOST, STEAL OR COPY my work, please!) Status update: DISCONTINUED Have you ever wonder what's it like to have a Vocaloid in your...
716 55 13
Farm AU but Kiribaku is the main ship that we follow. ~Prologue~ Everyone had a role on the ranch together. Some would lay eggs, others gave milk, an...
30K 813 12
(Discretion advised- This story was made years ago so it won't be like the actual story just what I based off from the songs at the time so please do...