Better Off Away (BOOK 2)(Watt...

By samanthamoore_

Sequel to Better Off Alone • Macey Littlefield has only ever wanted to get away. And now, she finally has the... More

Prologue
I Keep Silent And I Dream
Drowning Worries In Laughter
It's A Long Flight To New York
A Dream Within My Reach
Belonging More Than Ever Before
A Well Practiced Play
The Eighth Intern
Homesick
An Offer For Success
When Did I Become A Liar?
Lies And Cheats
Calling My Name
Mae and Herb
Fallen
Eyes On The Prize
Confessions Over Coffee
Crashing Down
A Golden Light
A Reminder
Go Get Coffee With Her
Why Don't You Ask Him?
It Was A Mistake
Not Broken But Torn
I'm Only Gaining Momentum
Just Now Hearing It
On Fire
The Possibility of Us
A Call Home
The Story Unfolds
The Once Golden Boy
A View Of The Abyss
A Dream That Can't Be Lost
Becoming Lighter Than Air
Far Less Golden
The Creal Ordeal
Worry And Moving On
An Escape
A/N: I've made a mistake
Never Look Back
Moving On
Chasing Down My Future
A Coffee Date
Tripling Momentum
Darling
A Beautiful Memory
Creal Arts
For the First Time
Epilogue
Author's Note

A Light Of Their Own

280 13 1
By samanthamoore_

"Oh, you really are back." Larkin makes a face of mock disapproval from the driver's seat of Gemma and Clive's Jeep.

I roll my eyes from where I sit behind him. "Oh, shut-up, Larkin."

Gemma laughs at us, climbing up front as O and I position ourselves in the back, behind them. Gem turns in her seat and smiles at me. "He missed you, Mace. A lot."

Larkin scoffs, his hands lightly gripping the stealing wheel. "Whatever, Gem. Way to give me away."

"In fact," Gemma begins, causing Larkin to eye her wearily and tighten his grip on the wheel as he began driving, "yesterday, he said he wanted to come visit you, but then he decided we'd only distract you... But now you're here, so what's the difference."

Larkin flushes and makes eye contact with me in the rear view mirror. "You were busy, I'm sure."

Something about Larkin's tone sends chills down my spine – as if he knows I went to the Top of the Rock and that I spent the day with Jack Creal.

I swallow hard and look to Olive, even though I can still feel Larkin's eyes on me in the mirror. "How've you been, O?"

Olive shrugs, smiling. "Alright. I've decided to stay home in the fall to help my parents with the bakery."

Gemma smirks. "That's why you're staying home? Are you sure it's not because of Levi?"

I look back to Olive, a smile spreading across my face. "Who the hell is Levi?"

Olive heats up, her face turning a crimson color. "He's... a... boy..."

"Friend." Larkin adds on, smirking as well.

"O! You have a boyfriend?! Why didn't you tell me? You should have called or texted me!" I swat her arm lightly.

Olive winces slightly and I looks out of the Jeep window. "I didn't want to bother you, Macey."

I almost press on, but Olive leans forward, flipping the radio on and blaring the volume. Clearly, she doesn't want to explain right now and I don't have the energy to push answers from her. I'll just ask Gemma later.

We ride back to West Brook with windows down and the music pulsing from the speakers. I feel as if I've come home and a salve has been placed upon my heart. Slowly, I feel the cracks in it healing. The cracks caused by my own lies, my own schemes, my own broken love.

True, this new part of my life won't have Jack, the once golden boy, but it will have the hope of truth and being true to myself. Both of which have a light of their own.

In the back of my mind a thought forms, like a wisp of smoke, a thin walled vapor. I wonder what Jack's doing? I wonder –

"Macey, we're at your house." Gemma smiles at me from her seat.

I blink, clearing my mind and sure enough, there's my little home-sweet-home. My family's probably inside, waiting, wondering why I'm rushing home.

I slowly climb out of the Jeep and Larkin climbs out as well. "Let me help you, Mace."

I smile appreciatively and let him take hold of one of my bags as we walk to the door. Halfway there, Larkin speaks up, revealing the meaning behind the looks he gave me.

"I saw you in an article online." He doesn't blurt it, but he does state it abruptly. "With Jack Creal," He follows up.

I stop in front of the door, looking at him and trying to understand what he's getting at. "Yes? What did it say?"

He watches me carefully. "It said the two of you had been spotted together...quite frequently... And when they asked for Jeremiah to comment, he declined. When they asked Jack to comment... he said you were just a friend, nothing more. He said he didn't believe in love. But I saw you in the picture, Macey."

"What picture?" I ask, my voice barely a whisper.

"Of the two of you at Top of the Rock. You look like you're in love... Was Jack more than a friend to you? Is that why you're home, Mace?"

I nearly freeze up and run from the question. But I make myself stay; I make myself accept the truth. I broke someone's heart and that's not something I can forget. I'll never forget Jack no matter how hard I try. His light touched my heart and gave me a spark.

One that will not be left to die.

I look at Larkin, my eyes brimming with a reminder of who Jack is and what he was. "On the contrary... I'm here because Jack loved me too much."

I wipe at my face and take the bag from Larkin. He wordlessly nods and gives my arm a gentle squeeze. "I'm sorry, Macey. I'm sorry you had to leave."

"Larkin, don't be sorry. I brought it upon myself. And it doesn't matter. He doesn't love me now."

I ruined all chances of that.

***

My family doesn't ask me why I'm home all of a sudden, at least they don't ask verbally. I see the question in their eyes and in their faces, but not a one of them ask me why I'm here; why I'm not in New York City where I never planned on leaving. They can see I'm not the same girl who I was less than a month ago, eager and ready to begin a new chapter in my life. Now, I'm starting yet another chapter, but I'm far from eager.

I close myself in my room and slowly unpack my clothes, putting them in their old homes. After I've done that I force myself to do the one thing I know I need to before I can continue living on. I call Lola.

She picks up on the first ring. "Where the hell are you?"

"I'm in California, Lola. I went home." I let out a sigh, sitting on the edge of my bed.

She swears rather loudly. "What happened!? I came back and found our room half empty and that shitty excuse for a note and then at dinner Jack swore up a storm at the sight of his own father. I tried to go to his room to ask about you, but he didn't answer the door when I knocked. Please give me an explanation, Macey."

"I... When I first came to Creal, I signed a contract with Jeremiah. I told him I'd convince Jack to stay with his father and to become the heir of the company. I messed up, Lola. I tried to get close to Jack without falling for him and instead, I fell hard. And I still love him, Lola."

Lola sighs, swearing again. "Wow... okay, let's see. Jack thinks you don't love him, correct?"

"Correct. He thinks I played him."

"Which you were, but then you fell for him, correct?"

"Correct." I lay back on my bed.

"Okay, here's what I know that may help, it may not. It has to do with Mia. Do you want to know?"

I sigh. "Hit me with it."

"She's on cloud nine. She expects a public engagement any day. I overheard her talking to Jeremiah and he was promising her promotion and the family name. It doesn't look good for Jack."

Now I swear loudly. "Can you keep me updated, Lola? I'm sorry I left so abruptly, but I couldn't say goodbye to you or Tom or..." I trail off.

Lola picks it up. "Or Jack? No offense, Macey, but not saying goodbye made him even more heartbroken. I know you're telling yourself he doesn't love you, but think about it: he signed the contract for you. If that's not love I don't know what is."

We say goodbye and I push the conversation from my mind, not wanting to overanalyze every minute of the conversations I've had today. It helps when, a moment later, my phone rings and Olive tells me we're going to a party on the beach in an hour.

I can forget. I can forget. I can forget.

A mantra has taken form, but can I really live it?

•••

A/N: Hey guys! Here's an update!

On the side is a pic of Luke Hemmings as Larkin Knight.

Update: Sometime within Thursday to next Tuesday

Please vote or comment if you liked it!

Thanks for all the support!! It means the world!

Love always, Samantha XO

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

194K 7.4K 31
[Book 2 in the Secret series] "That's not what I meant..." I chew on my lip. "Well, what the fuck did you mean then?" He shouts. "When I'm there I d...
21.7K 753 38
Highest ranking #1 in utopia -•- "It's about how your hips move," the hand that sits on my waist finds my hip, his fingertips trailing lightly along...
6M 196K 48
#3 in Falling For A Womaniser Series. The book does not have to be read in order, but it may contain some spoilers for the other books. *** Miranda (...
117K 4.5K 27
I'm Finn Vasco but that's not quite important right now. I'm a pretty sarcastic guy if I'm gonna be honest. I'm closed off and I literally only have...