déjà vu?

By blurryfakes

[tøp au] COMPLETED & EDITED. time. odd concept, time is, wouldn't you agree? a bit tricky to understand too... More

prologue // the fight
one // the creek
two // first days
three // false plans
four // mistakes
five // nightmares
six // odder than usual
seven // the last rule
nine // the fault in the fight
ten // in the moment
eleven // déjà vu
twelve // nothing will ever be the same
thirteen // only between us
fourteen // new beginnings

eight // promises

125 10 6
By blurryfakes

josh.

I started on my run early this morning; hoping to catch a glance of what the sunrise painted. However, I got too tired to continue and my early planned run ended in a slow sleepwalk back home. It was only eight in the morning once I was able to fall back into my couch and scroll through whatever popped up on my phone. When I had left, everyone else in the house was either asleep still or out at work already. Though when I came back from my run, some coffee was brewing in the pot and mom was sitting in the kitchen looking for some breakfast.

I decided to leave her be, going to take a quick shower before I began to feel myself stink like a rotten potato. After I quickly (sloppily) cleaned the water off my body before putting some comfortable clothes on. Once I fell onto my bed, I felt all the muscles in my limbs began to burn from all the working out I've done the past month or so. I sighed, trying as hard as I could to ignore the sensation in my limbs– praying for them to stop burning. The call to my answered prayers came from my cell phone just on the floor in arms reach from my position. Ashley's name popped up on the screen, as I was mostly delighted to see what she wanted with me. A muffled 'Josh?' came from the phones speakers. "Yes, Ash? What is it?"

"Ah– uh, it's my– uh, cousin! Yes, I'm, well at the hospital right now, and, uh, they won't let me into his room since I'm apparently not 'immediate family'. Stupid, right?" Ashley laughed nervously. I chuckled back, having a small twang that she wasn't exactly telling me the truth, but I went along. "Anyways, I need help getting in, do you care to help?" She said in a low voice, a smirk most definitely plastered on her face. The feeling from a moment ago that I had felt, suddenly washed away, agreeing to help slip past the high security at this hospital. Ashley quickly named me directions and I was instantly off to the hospital, rushing to tell mom good bye as I exited the house.

I strolled past all the houses in the neighborhood, oddly noticing one in particular that I most definitely knew was none other than Jenna Black's house. I noticed it about three feet ahead, before observing how her car was absent from the driveway. Bit odd, knowing it was still so early in the morning, a strange coincidence to see. I quickly shook the observation from my mind, taking my focus on the road and toward the hospital. It wasn't long before I met Ashley in the waiting room where she recited her plan to me; just about fool prof if nobody decided to notice the two teens sneaking past the sign in desk. Ashley knew the exact room and number her cousin was located.

As a family of four came to sign in at the desk, we made our move. We came up behind them, their youngest son inching closer to his parents at the strangers standing behind them. We smiled fondly at the child, waving as a friendly gesture and he seemed to relax just a bit, but he didn't inch closer to us noticeably. As they ended the small chat with the front desk, we followed close behind them as one of the nurses ushered them to a room. So far we were unnoticed. It was until they went into their room which was miles before ours that the nurse noticed us for the first time. She rose an eyebrow at our unusual behavior, not liking the look of the situation. "And how may I help you?"

"Almost.." Ashley hissed under her breath. "Run!" We both broke for it, not daring to look back to see if the nurse was following. I heard a few distant screams come from her, but they all seemed to be staying a safe distance away from us. Once we found the room marked 21 on hallway G100 we came to a stop, taking a safe look around to make sure nobody followed us. And if I thought my limbs were burning before, they were burning in the depths of Hell now. I sighed, trying so hard to mask the pain I felt as we fell through the door. I didn't even care to take notice at the figure in the bed or the one standing in front of us before I took a much needed seat. It wasn't until after I took my seat I noticed the familiar blonde girl standing in front of Ashley and me with a hand on her hip and a silent glare toward both of us.

"Ashley! What made you think it was a good idea bringing Josh of all people here to help you break the hospital rules?!" Jenna yelled, her voice raising at every word until I was sure the building was going to shake. Ashley looked very guilty for being confronted about what ever this situation was. I watched as Jenna continued to yell at Ashley, suddenly then becoming very quite as I heard a name being mentioned that was none of our own. It sounded very close to something of– "Tyler" I heard once more. But I could clearly be mistaken, though the answer was right in front of me. Why else would Jenna be here? Why else would she be so angry? I could easily look over her shoulder and see for myself if the answer I thought to be true was in face the truth, but my actions hesitated, I didn't want it to be true. My anxiety began to rise in my chest; my breaths becoming few as
my legs had a mind of their own and began to rattle themselves and my thumbs only scratching the edges of my skin. Jenna noticed it. "Take a look for yourself, hm?"

"O-okay." I stuttered, my legs barely able to wobble themselves over to the bed where thin white sheets lied and the heart monitor beeped every three seconds. I sat on the edge of the mattress, unable to hold myself up any longer, stunned and shocked to see my best friends thin and frail face hooked up to a tube, force feeding him. I already knew, I knew all along deep down in my soul I knew that I knew how he had been starving himself; and I did nothing. I felt guilt over anything, I felt anger over everything, I felt like crying more than anything. "What– happened, exactly?" I cleared my throat between asked, almost getting choked up, tears beginning to form in my eyes. I knew for the most part what happened, but how? Why? When? I looked over past my shoulder to Ashley and Jenna, exchanging glances before Jenna finally decided to speak for herself.

"He– uh well– he overdosed." She stumbled over her tongue. I wanted to yell; I wanted to scream and punch a wall, but I stayed calm. I closed my eyes, and calmly asked for her to elaborate on the topic. "Uh– well, this morning he had drunkenly called me, so I hurried on my way over as I knew he was alone in his house. I was to watch over him, but as for when I entered his unlocked house, he was already chugging nighttime pills and nearly– killed himself." Jenna choked up on the last part, breathing deeply and exhaling the last two words. It was a hard truth to realized and conclude, but I didn't find a hard time believing it.

Though, now over anything I was angry with the half dead boy laying passed out on the hospital bed next to me. I was steaming with anger that I began to pace the room. He promised me that he would never– we made a promise! I felt myself breathing harder, my mind twisting itself trying to untie the knot of the situation. Tyler– he could've– I should've known! My hear began to race, my name was being called but it felt like miles away. I finally took a seat, my knees giving out, but my mind kept running, as if there was a way this wasn't true– as if this was just a dream, but I knew it all to be real. "Josh are you okay?" Ashley's voice came from next to me, but I still felt miles away. I nodded, swallowed the lump in my throat as I turned my spinning head toward Ashley. She looked worried, Jenna mirroring her expression. "What were you mumbling about– something like promises?"

"What?" I paused, my mind focused. Was I really mumbling all of that? Oh crap. I took a deep breath in, not exactly knowing what else to say. I coughed, looking between the two girls and then at Tyler's unconscious body. "Well– a while ago, before the start of High School, Tyler and I had made some silly promises– none to really be taken too seriously." I laughed, remembering one of the more crazy ones. "–but, well, it suddenly all got serious. Where Tyler made one promise– and it lead me to make one more serious one. That one being how we both promised never– never to commit suicide or attempt it."

Jenna and Ashley looked a bit stunned. I sat there for moments, that one night coming back as though it was yesterday. We were being the childish Middle Schoolers we were, going into HighSchool, laughing and joking. We made the silliest of promises, none to be taken into account these many years later, except, well two. It was the night Tyler told me never to allow him to lose himself; how he'd lose his mind. It was only until this short time later, that I suddenly realized how the two promises connected so well. The second promise wasn't easy– it was one so deep that I had said. That night we had blankets over a fort we made, it was probably almost 2am and not even a week before HighSchool began. We had finished watching a movie, as the credits rolled, we had a deep conversation, one of many to come during our HighSchool careers. Conversations that I'd give the world to have again with the only person that understood me as well as I understood him.

"I won't; if you promise me one other thing." I said, looking Tyler straight in the eyes. He nodded, awaiting my response. I didn't know how else to put it, so I said it firmly and quickly as I could– like taking off a band-aid in some way. "Promise me that you will never attempt suicide or even think about hurting yourself." Tyler looked shocked, his eyes wide and stunned. The color looked almost drained from his eyes as he said the next sentence. "Only if you promise too." I gulped, as we both crossed out pinkies together. "Promise," we both said.

I kicked a chair beneath my feet, standing despite my knees threatening to give way. Jenna and Ashley watched me in anticipation to what I was going to do. I turned around to say something, I only grew angrier as I looked toward the bed of broken promises, with the only person I ever trusted with my life, laying down, half dead in front of my own eyes. His life could've been gone in an instant and he wouldn't even have the body to feel sorry. I clenched my teeth together, forcing the words out of my mouth as I spoke. "I'll see you guys later. I just need some time– alone." I walked out the door and out of the hospital, I felt angry at the boy who least deserved it, laying on a thin mattress and white sheets; I could help but to leave before I punched him in his fragile face. I could help to look at him; the broken promise screaming with every beep from his monitor.

Boy, was I mad and did he ever deserve a yelling at from, once he was better of course. I quickly text Ashley and Jenna, planning another one of their 'parties' once Tyler was better, just so I could kick his promise breaking butt.

[edited.]

a/n this is where i had *officially* stopped editing my book. i don't remember exactly everything, as i really haven't read my book in forever, but i can assure the writing from here on won't be good (which means it'll be even worse than this.) so, i hope you enjoy the rest of the book, if you can get through all the bad writing and grammar.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

289K 6.6K 35
"That better not be a sticky fingers poster." "And if it is ." "I think I'm the luckiest bloke at Hartley." Heartbreak High season 1-2 Spider x oc
766K 35.8K 58
Taehyung is appointed as a personal slave of Jungkook the true blood alpha prince of blue moon kingdom. Taehyung is an omega and the former prince...
55.1M 1.8M 66
Henley agrees to pretend to date millionaire Bennett Calloway for a fee, falling in love as she wonders - how is he involved in her brother's false c...
28.8M 914K 49
[BOOK ONE] [Completed] [Voted #1 Best Action Story in the 2019 Fiction Awards] Liam Luciano is one of the most feared men in all the world. At the yo...