Deep Blue - The Descent

By ToddCowden

More people have visited the moon, than have found their way to the bottom of the ocean. Test piloting the mi... More

1: The Neptune
2: Close Encounter
3: Running Late
4: Mission Briefing
6: Welcome to Deep Blue
7: The Grand Tour
8: Doc's Briefing
9: The Bottom
10: The Need for Speed
11: Rock Collecting
12: Damage Report
13: Mission Report
14: Commander Kennedy
15: The New Sheriff in Town
16: Shifting Focus
17: Shaking Things Up a Bit
18: Early Morning Chat
19: What Light From Yonder Window Breaks?
20: The Perfect Plan
21: A Change of Plans
22: The Second Run
23: Get Out of the Way
24: Follow the Light
25: Not Alone
26: Racing Back Home
27: Meeting the Neighbors
28: He's Not From Around Here
29: A New Guest
30: You Were Right
31: Put On Some Coffee
32: The Dream
33: Surprise Gift
34: Date Night
35: Plan B
36: Another Unexpected Guest
37: One Theory
38: Empathy
39: Let the Party Begin
40: Out of the Fire
41: Saving the World
42: Lost and Found

5: The M.A.N.T.A.

58 2 2
By ToddCowden

Nick spent the majority of the morning preparing for his launch in the suit-up room. There, medical personnel and engineers performed last minute tests, and took readings on both the Lieutenant Commander and his suit. The M.A.N.T.A. suit itself was no ordinary uniform. Like the ship, it was experimental and included the latest technologies.

The outer layer of the suit was constructed of neoprene infused with high-tech nanofibers. Millions of microscopic robots ensured not only that the wearer stay warm and dry, but the bots also redefined the phrase "one size fits all". Once the suit was activated it was designed to stretch or shrink to conform to fit virtually anyone. Engineers figured, if you're going to create a multimillion dollar suit, it would be wise to make it fit as many people as possible without requiring custom tailoring.

Once the suit was donned and the magnetic clasp at the rear of the neck was closed, the suit became activated engaging the autofit feature. The suit would then constrict around the wearer beginning with the chest and waist, then continue its way outward down the sleeves and legs until all necessary adjustments were made. Nick thought it felt a little like his entire body being strangled at once.

Sensors placed throughout the M.A.N.T.A. Suit constantly monitored the wearer's vital signs. Detailed heart rate, blood pressure, body temperature, and respiratory rate measurements were continually relayed to the M.A.N.T.A.'s main computer, but the quickest evaluation of the wearer's condition was displayed in the color of the suit itself. Lines of glowing trim ran down the chest and sleeves of the suit, around the waist and down the outer sides of the legs. If the trim glowed light blue, the wearer was in a relaxed state. A dark blue glow indicated elevated vitals. Red lines meant that the wearer was experiencing extreme levels of distress and their health could be at risk. If the suit trim was black, and still activated, then the wearer had expired.

After spending several hours being poked, prodded and probed Nick was more than ready to make his way to the hanger and begin final preparations in the M.A.N.T.A. for the launch which was just half an hour away.

As Nick exited the suit-up room, he ran into Nathan, who was waiting in the hallway just outside the door. Nathan leaned against the wall with his arms crossed and a smug little smirk on his face.

"I still can't believe you tore through the golf course.", he smiled.

"Yeah well,", Nick shrugged, "I made it didn't I?".

Nathan shook his head with a grimace, "No.", he replied. "No, you really didn't."

Nick chuckled, "I almost made it.", and walked past Nathan toward the launch bay doors.

Nathan pushed off from the wall and followed close behind.

"Nope. Not even close."

The two entered the launch bay through a pair of sliding glass doors etched with the NAVY logo. As the two halves separated, Nick and Nathan were hit with a whirlwind of sensations. The relative silence of the hallway was overrun by the sounds of machine hydraulics, the bustling of people as they went about their tasks, and the occasional blast from the PA system.

"T-minus 30 minutes and counting.", a computer automated voice echoed through the bay.

The facility was enormous, standing three levels tall and topped with an arched roof that separated down the middle. The retractable roof allowed for the flexibility to open and close as needed to support larger ships. The massive, three story bay doors, on the northern end, nearly two football fields away, were open for the launch. The warm sunlight flooded the facility and glistened off the surface of the water.

The top level, a glass box which overhung the waterway three stories below, was mission control. There, the military brass resided; the high ranking captains, admirals and a handful of specially trained officers that manned various computer stations.

Nick would bet money that was where Admiral Bentley was currently located.

The second level was a wall of lightly tinted glass, behind which the glow of an uncountable number of displays and holographic screens could be seen.

But it was the lower level that was bustling with activity. Dozens of crewmen scurried about the grated lower walkways above the surface of the water, performing various duties prepping the ship for the mission. Service drones rolled and flew along their programmed path as they performed tasks.

Several of the officers were suited up in compact exoskeletons, enabling them to carry crates and armaments weighing thousands of pounds with relative ease. They walked with a metallic clang as they transported their cargo from storage to the ship.

In spite of all the activity around the room. Nick and Nathan's attention was focused on one spot, resting on the water in the center of the bay.

"And there she is.", Nathan commented on the M.A.N.T.A.. The one-man ship was surrounded by half a dozen crewmen going about their duties preparing her for launch. "Man, she's a good lookin' ship."

Floating on the surface, only the top half of the ship was exposed. From above, the vehicle resembled a giant manta ray, with slightly thicker wings and a much stubbier tail. Long, sleek, curves defined the leading edge and profile of the ship. Each section of the ship flowed, seamlessly into the next. There were no hard angles or corners. No sharp points or straight lines. It was designed to flow with the water around it.

"Yes.", Nick replied admiring the tiny craft. "Yes she is."

The ship had a wingspan of about 25 feet, from tip to tip. The oversized wings ran the length of the entire body from nose to tail. The leading edge of each wing, which lay just submerged below the water's surface, was illuminated brightly by a bank of lights hidden behind a translucent cover.

Set into the the aft section of each wing was a large turbine fan, covered with adjustable louvers. In it's current docked state, the turbines were rotated flat, the louvers were closed, to smoothly conform to the shape of the wing making them almost invisible.

The cockpit, was located at the front of the M.A.N.T.A.. A large, curved windshield wrapped around the tip of the craft allowing for at least 180 degrees of visibility from the pilot's seat.

Entry to the M.A.N.T.A., located at the rear of the craft, was a large panel, hinged at the top which opened the back half of the ship like a giant clam shell. Crewmen, still double checking the internal systems, could periodically be seen moving in and out of the opening.

"So Sheppard,", Nathan started in a more official tone. "You've got this, right? Tell me you did actually read the full mission briefing."

"Well Commander.", Nick mocked. "It's not like I haven't run this mission a million times over the past two years."

"Simulated mission.", Nathan corrected.

"Fine. Yes, simulated missions.", Nick admitted. "And yes, I read the full mission briefing."

"ALL of it?", Nathan said doubtfully.

"Sure, ALL of it.", Nick replied before pausing for a moment. "I read ALL the important parts."

"Seriously?!", Nathan shot back incredulously.

Nick just grinned as the two continued to make their way across the lower level to the M.A.N.T.A. with Nathan shaking his head.

"It's a three day trip.", Nick said casually. "Spend the night on the station. Take her down to the bottom. Test out the drive and the weapons system, then head back."

"I'll be topside by the weekend.", the Lieutenant Commander said smiling and patting the Commander firmly on the shoulder. "Which reminds me. Do you still have the number of the sister of that brunette you went out a couple of weekends ago?"

Nathan just shook his head, "Man, you've got to focus."

"Relax.", Nick laughed as the two reached the M.A.N.T.A. "Seriously, I could do this in my sleep.".

"Well, let's not test that theory shall we.", Nathan remarked as he extended his hand. "Good luck. Stay sharp down there. You're going where only a handful of people have ever gone. And half of those never made it back."

"Always the optimist.", Nick chided as he grabbed Nathan's outstretch hand. "Shouldn't you be heading up there with the brass?", he asked, nodding to the mission control glass box three stories up.

But Nathan didn't release the handshake just yet, "I'm serious man. Keep your head in the game down there."

Finally, without a hint of sarcasm, Nick nodded and gave him a firm handshake and grin, "You know me."

As test pilots, each knew the potential seriousness of the next few days. Each knew that there was a not too distant possibility that this handshake, may be the last they would share. It's true, they trained, they tested and ran through a thousand simulations covering every bad scenario the engineers could imagine. It was the things that no one could imagine that had the potential to foul things up. It was, in fact, the seriousness that most likely inspired all the jokes and sarcasm.

"I'll talk to you tonight, once you've settled in at the station.", Nathan added.

As Nick turned and walked toward the opening at the rear of the M.A.N.T.A. Nathan called out once more, "Hey Sheppard. If this doesn't work out...", he paused.

"Can I have your car?"

"No.", Nick smirked as he lowered his head to enter the craft. "I'll see you this weekend.", he shouted as he disappeared inside the submersible.

"Yeah, I hope so.", Nathan said to himself quietly. "I hope so."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 3 120
A 2019 Wattys entry deeply into climate change, global warming, and environmental destruction, especially the nuclear kind! A lot of true facts are...
Aberrant By RJGlynn

Science Fiction

3.6K 1K 68
Wattys 2021 shortlist. Shipwrecked on a criminal-infested mining colony, military telepath Reid Kaplan needs answers about the attack on his ship and...
148 2 16
In the distant future of the 28th century, mankind survived near extinction and then made it into the wider galaxy, with almost no other sapient life...
Solacium By Anna

Science Fiction

203K 11.3K 54
What do you do when a tall, unreasonably attractive alien crash lands in front of you? You shoot him of course. ─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ─── It's been...