Better Off Away (BOOK 2)(Watt...

By samanthamoore_

Sequel to Better Off Alone • Macey Littlefield has only ever wanted to get away. And now, she finally has the... More

Prologue
I Keep Silent And I Dream
Drowning Worries In Laughter
It's A Long Flight To New York
A Dream Within My Reach
Belonging More Than Ever Before
A Well Practiced Play
The Eighth Intern
Homesick
An Offer For Success
When Did I Become A Liar?
Lies And Cheats
Calling My Name
Mae and Herb
Fallen
Eyes On The Prize
Confessions Over Coffee
Crashing Down
A Golden Light
A Reminder
Go Get Coffee With Her
Why Don't You Ask Him?
It Was A Mistake
Not Broken But Torn
I'm Only Gaining Momentum
Just Now Hearing It
On Fire
The Possibility of Us
A Call Home
The Story Unfolds
The Once Golden Boy
A View Of The Abyss
Becoming Lighter Than Air
Far Less Golden
A Light Of Their Own
The Creal Ordeal
Worry And Moving On
An Escape
A/N: I've made a mistake
Never Look Back
Moving On
Chasing Down My Future
A Coffee Date
Tripling Momentum
Darling
A Beautiful Memory
Creal Arts
For the First Time
Epilogue
Author's Note

A Dream That Can't Be Lost

319 13 3
By samanthamoore_

"We have to go." Jack murmurs the words into my skin, a buzz on his lips. I hope that I imagined them, that they were just a figment on the breeze that blows across my skin.

But he repeats them and I know they're real. I wish they weren't. I wish I could stay here, in his arms for all of time and it's endless measure.

"Why? Do we really have to return to the House?" I ask, letting him lead me back to the elevator even though my eyes are wide open and I can walk myself.

"Stan said we had an hour all by ourselves and I believe our hour is up." He motions around the Top of the Rock with his free hand.

"Oh, is Stan who you called?" I arch my eyebrows and Jack smiles, nodding.

"He's a family friend and he's in charge of the Rock. I just asked him to pull a few strings. He owed a favor and didn't mind helping me out."

We climb back onto the elevator and when we reach the entry way at the bottom I see a line of people waiting eagerly to see the view we just experienced. I think of how we stood up there, atop the Rock with no thoughts of time or people or anyone except for us. That hour was ours.

Jack leads me back outside and we walk down the sidewalk, his arm around me, still holding me steady in this tilting world.

I'm smiling up at him when I see the first flash of light from the corner of my eye. I stop, dizzy from the spots swirling in my vision as more of the flashes go off, and followed with shouts and yells. Jack curses beneath his breath and pulls me closer to him, covering our faces with his arms.

We pick up our paces and I realize that these flashes are coming from the cameras of paparazzi. Jack is famous in the world of business and affluence so I shouldn't be surprised, but it still shocks me. My picture might end up in a tabloid with Jack. They will learn my name and I could be the talk of the town. I might be eaten apart by comments and assumptions. I could have my career ruined. Jeremiah could find out and fire me. Sue me. End me. Or it could make me.

Fame holds such a delicate weight. Any disruption could mean drastic changes.

I hear the yells of the paparazzi as we rush through the crowd, trying to make it back to the garage. Suddenly, I feel as if we actually walked a great distance today. I feel pulled down by the pavement and tired from the bright flashes that blind my vision.

"Jack, how is your father coping with the fact that you still haven't signed on?"

"Are you actually going to be the Creal Publishing heir?"

"Are you returning to California?"

"Did Daddy threaten to cut off the allowance if you didn't return to New York?"

The questions take a turn in direction, surprising me.

"Jack, who's the girl?"

"Who's your new girlfriend?"

"Is she your new conquest?"

"Is she hired by your father to date you?"

Sniggers and smirks flood across the paps and I tense at the last question, feeling my face heat up. Jack tenses as well, but for different reasons. I feel a flash of anger wash over him, heating up his face, and before I can blink or process what he's about to do, he spins on the paparazzi and lunges for them.

I reach out, catching his arm at the last second and struggling to pull him against me. Since he's flustered and fueled by emotion, he's caught of guard. His eyes are lit with fire and his jaw is clenched, but he cools at my touch. I shake my head, looking him in the eyes. "Jack, babe," I plead, "it's not worth it."

He relaxes and his features take on a new turn, a turn of happiness as he locks his fingers with mine and leads me down the street without paying the paps anymore attention. We reach the parking garage and I'm breathless as we climb into the Porsche.

Jack smiles at me. "Babe?"

I feel my face heat up again and look down at my lap, avoiding his gaze. "Uh," is the only thing that I say.

Jack leans across the space between us and kisses my cheek, a smile pressed between it and his lips. "I like it... It kind of turned me on if I'm honest."

I smirk, twisting in the seat to face him. "Thanks for letting me escape, Jack."

He frowns, kissing my forehead. "It's not over yet, Sweetness. I'm only sorry it was spoiled by those bastards back there."

"Hey, what do you mean it's not over?" I ask, puzzled by the words.

"I mean, we aren't heading back to the House – or yeah, I'll leave it at that. Here's another surprise." He smirks and starts up the car, taking us out of the parking garage and into the City.

***

I must fall asleep at some point because next thing I know, I'm being woken up by Jack's lips on the skin of my forehead. I wrinkle my nose and look up at him. "Where are we, Jack?"

I try to look out the windows, but it looks like we're in just another parking garage, but this one looks to be only one level and much smaller that the Creal Publishing one. Jack jumps out of the car and opens my door all before I can unbuckle my seat belt. I climb out and Jack takes hold of my hand, leading me to a door that's completely made of glass. On the other side I see a small reception area that is part of an entry way.

"Jack, where are we?"

He shrugs. "This isn't as special as the Top of the Rock, but I thought you might like to come here regardless."

"Now I'm curious."

Jack opens the door to the small entry way where a man dressed in a security uniform stands. Jack tilts his head in the man's direction saying a simple, "Dave."

The man, whom I presume is Dave, tilts his head back. "Sir."

Jack leads me to an elevator which is behind a reception desk where no one sits. While we wait for the elevator I look around the room, trying to get a clue from the surroundings since Jack's so bent on keeping it a secret. The room is simple, but clearly made from money. The walls are sleek and so is the rest of the interior. It looks like we could be in a modern apartment building, but why would Jack bring me to somewhere like that?

The door to the elevator opens rather quickly and we climb in. Jack leans forward and I watch him press the last button labeled "Jack Creal". There are probably twenty buttons total and I notice not all of them have names, but some have room titles such as "Office" or "Ballroom".

"Jack, what is this place?"

Jack shrugs. "It's the pent house. We sometimes stay here, but mostly, my dad built it to show off the family money. I used to use it as my escape when I was still forced to live in the City."

"You don't use it still? As an escape?" I ask him.

He shrugs again, as if the weight of the world was on his shoulders. "I don't think I can escape."

"Jack," I reach out, laying a hand on his chest and wish there was something I could do, but that's all I can do: wish.

It's not the first time I've felt helpless. It surely won't be the last.

The doors to the elevator open and we walk into a beautiful room, large and vast. The room itself is made of various kinds of metal coating the walls. Each piece of metal is textured differently and of a gray or blue tint. The furniture is all white and so is the plush carpet. On the far wall is an entry way to another room which looks like a kitchen and I imagine there are more rooms that make up an entire living quarter.

Jack motions around. "Welcome to my home."

I take in the design carefully. "You designed this level didn't you? The structure and the layout and the materials."

Jack watches me carefully as I walk up the nearest wall and feel the smooth metal which is bluish in hue. "It was my first design put into use. And my last."

"It's beautiful...Nothing you've designed has been built?" I find this hard to believe when he's clearly so good at what he does.

He shakes his head. "I need money to do that and it's one thing my father won't pay for. And to work for someone else I need training. Which is why I went to California."

"Jack," I'm about to ask him why he doesn't just leave his father behind, but I know I can't. I'm left helpless once again.

***

Jack shows me around the pent house and I'm left in awe of his abilities to design. It reminds me of how Gemma was so good when it came to painting and drawing. Here Jack is, just as good at creating and yet he's left anchored to his father.

Jack leads me back to the couch in the first room and we both sit down, his arm wrapped around me. He kisses the crown of my head and I look up to him, suddenly reading him through in a split second, reading why we're here.

"Jack, why'd you bring me here? We should be back for the meeting."

"We're less likely to get interrupted here, Sweetness.... And we'll make it back." His lips hover before mine and I remember how good they tasted the other night.

"Jack, we should be getting back. They'll wonder."

"Let 'em wonder, Sweetness. And live with me for a few minutes. Live a dream that can't be lost." He smiles and that damn dimple gets to me.

"Jack, I really hate you, you know. You make it so hard. Each time is harder and harder to say no to." I try to put space between us, but he holds me still.

"Then don't say no, Sweetness."
Jack leans forward and kisses me, making me weaker than ever before.

And so I do what he says: I live the dream that can't be lost.

•••

A/N: There you have it :) I tried to make it a little long for you.

Hope you liked it! If you did, please vote and comment.

Update: sometime between Saturday and Tuesday

On the side is a picture of MITAM because it just came out!!!! Have any of you heard it? What's your favorite song?

Love always, Samantha XO

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

144K 6.8K 63
Gawking two guys in a hot-blown make-out session in the mathematical section of the library was not what I expected my first day after Winter breaks...
517K 11.1K 37
| 𝟭𝟲𝘅 𝗙𝗘𝗔𝗧𝗨𝗥𝗘𝗗 · [EDITORS' CHOICE -- NOVEMBER 2020] [ONC 2020 Winner] Two strangers on separate trains, divided by uncaring glass. A bond...
5.2M 149K 73
#1 in Romance, 23rd May 2020 "Precious, I don't know what the hell you're talking about, but you're never going on that date." And before I could pro...
117K 4.5K 27
I'm Finn Vasco but that's not quite important right now. I'm a pretty sarcastic guy if I'm gonna be honest. I'm closed off and I literally only have...