Algid (#TronnorAU)

By CoffeeForTheSoul

"Let me tell you the story, about what happens when a heart as cold as ice meets one made of gold." What happ... More

Introduction/Explanation
Prologue
Chapter 1: Welcome to Yule Town
Chapter 2: The first day
Chapter 3: Mysterious gas station kid
Chapter 4: The first walk
Chapter 5: Call it a truce
Chapter 6: Cool kids
Chapter 7: Grace's gifts
Chapter 8: A new friend
Chapter 9: Tryouts
Chapter 10: Mr. Cole's science project
Chapter 11: Little Johannesburg
Chapter 12: The Blue House
Chapter 13: Rain
Chapter 14: "Don't ask"
Chapter 15: Green-chested Sparrow
Chapter 16: "Don't tell"
Chapter 17: Red
Chapter 18: September boys
Chapter 19: The birthday parties
Chapter 20: Touch
Chapter 21: The other side of the field
Chapter 22: The Gingerbread man
Chapter 23: Beneath the tomato stand
Chapter 24: First move
Chapter 26: Andrew Graham Foundation
Chapter 27: Mikey's family
Chapter 28: After dark
Chapter 29: "You do care"
Chapter 30: A work in progress
Chapter 31: Trick-or-Treat
Chapter 32: Alexis in Wonderland
Chapter 33: The Thanksgiving Festival
Chapter 34: After a long time
Chapter 35: The silver wristwatch
Chapter 36: The old building on Genevieve Street
Chapter 37: Eyes of mischief
Chapter 38: "It's over"
Chapter 39: "We don't kiss"
Chapter 40: The feeling of being burned
Chapter 41: Connor, cold as ice
Chapter 42: Down to skin and bones
Chapter 43: Into the birdcage
Chapter 44: Thicker than blood
Chapter 45: "No matter how long it takes."
Chapter 46: The City of Lakes
Chapter 47: Too Good
Chapter 48: Ease
Chapter 49: The trial of the Queen of Hearts
Chapter 50: No such thing as happy endings
Epilogue
Goodbyes/Appreciations

Chapter 25: Ghosts

10.2K 416 656
By CoffeeForTheSoul

Fall had already covered Yule in its cold spell. Day after day, there was no sign of the sun coming out of the cloud covered grey sky, which was tainted grey. The trees were all dressed up in colors already, as their leaves fell to the ground and the winds blew from the north, the same direction as the Lake and the forest. The temperatures had dropped so much that people were already wearing their winter clothes. According to the news teller, this year would be one of the coldest ones in the last few decades.

Connor observed the neighboring houses already getting all decorated for Halloween, and little after he noticed, Grace did as well. She got the kids to help her in decorating their front lawn with self-made gimmicks, since according to her words she had "totally forgotten about the Holiday decorations". Turns out she was very crafty, managing to make spider-webs out of cotton and toilet paper and a couple of gravestones out of Styrofoam and spray paint. Let's face it, it looked far from scary. But at least their house wouldn't be the only one that wasn't decorated anymore.

At school, people were already discussing what they were going to dress up as. Connor couldn't really care any less, since he never dressed up as anything. First off, he didn't have the money to afford any costumes. Second, he didn't really give one flying fuck over Halloween. He always wore a black t-shirt that day, and told himself it was being festive. Even Alexis, who never wore a costume either, found this rather dull. However, she couldn't afford a costume either, so year after year she would mimic Connor and dress all black, and told people she was a witch apprentice. The red beanie came in handy for that as well. But this year Grace had said that they could have costumes for themselves if they liked, much to Connor's dismay, because he knew Alexis would be too excited about it.

Or at least, he thought she would.

Alexis, however, didn't get too excited about it. She did seem to be at first, but it wore off pretty quickly. A bit too quickly for her. Connor knew that when an idea she liked got into her head he wouldn't hear the end of it for a good while. In fact, everything regarding Alexis seemed to be very unexciting as of late. She seemed so down that it was starting to worry him all over again.

Mikey had noticed, too. He had talked to Connor about it, telling him that she dozed off in class and that their friends were starting to wonder if she was ok. Apparently, nobody had a clue on what might be happening to her.

But Connor did know what was happening to her. He knew what it was, with her first and last names unfortunately memorized. And this time, he had to speak up.

One day, he and Alexis sat together on the bus ride on their way to school, like usual. He and Mikey had spoken beforehand, so that Mikey sat with the rest of his and Alexis' friends so that no one she knew would listen to what they talked about. He knew Alexis wouldn't be thrilled about it, but he couldn't think of any other time in which either of them wasn't busy or accompanied by someone else. If he wanted her to talk, it had to be then.

Alexis had woken up late that morning after oversleeping. She hadn't taken a shower, telling Grace she would after she was back from school, and ate way too much for breakfast. All of those typical behaviors she presented whenever she was overstressed. The way she stared blankly into the seat in front of her in the bus made Connor feel bad for not having done anything so far about this. It almost looked like she was concentrating on something. He thought that he probably looked the same, as he went on through what he was going to tell her in his head. Bringing up awkward conversations had never been his forte, except when it came to Alexis. So, he cleared his throat, and spoke up the words.

But when he did, Alexis did as well.

-"Al, I need to talk to you—"

-"Con there is something that—"

The two of them went silent and looked at each other, confused. Now it was evident that, like him, Alexis was actually concentrating on something. And whatever that was, it involved him.

After the brief silence, Connor talked up.

-"... You go first."

-"Ok... ok how do I put this..."

Alexis rubbed her temples with both her hands, closing her eyes as she thought, and after a minute she turned to Connor in resolution.

-"Something is wrong with you, Con. And I want to know what."

Connor didn't know if his eyes could go any wider.

-"Because whatever it is, I don't think I've ever seen you this bad. And I am very worried about you."—she went on.

-"W-What!?"—Connor asked in genuine shock—"Al, I am the one who is worried about you!"

-"A-About me!? Why!?"

-"What do you mean why? You oversleep, you eat way over the usual, and you look miserable! And I'm sure it has something to do with that theatre thing."

-"Oh you're one to talk! Have you looked at yourself in a mirror lately!?"

Connor frowned.

-"What do you mean?"

-"Connor, really! Have you seen that bags under your eyes!? I know you've not been sleeping, I even asked Mikey! Instead of giving me a straight answer he started stuttering and said something about how he didn't know any magazines! I knew he was covering for you!"

Connor mentally slapped himself in the face and also made a mental note to give Mikey a little chat when he had the chance.

-"Is it the dreams again?"—Alexis asked, this time calmly—"Are you seeing... them?"

Connor looked away from the girl in the red beanie. She was the only one he had ever told about his nightmares. The ones about his dead family. Only Alexis and Connor's journal knew about this, and he was positive that no one else in the world had the right to know.

-"... Or is it... or is it something else?"—Alexis asked once again—"Are you in some sort of... trouble?"

At the hearing of those words, Connor thought of two things.

First, he thought about Red. He thought about her naked body and the scars she had on her back, which he had grazed a couple of times already. He thought about her words and how she promised to help him. He thought about her pills and how they managed to scare him to the living death.

And then, he thought about Blue. He remembered the night they spent together at the tent, and the one again at his house after Connor and Joe's birthday party. He thought about what was going on in his head, and what was going on between them. And he thought about Troye touching him and him touching Troye, and that made his breath run short.

But then he turned to Alexis, determined not to show off his weakness. He had gotten there with a purpose and he intended to accomplish it.

-"Yes, it's the nightmares."—he lied—"But I know for a fact you aren't doing well, Al. I've seen how Lia treats you. Listen, I'm not saying that I'm going to hit her or anything. You know I wouldn't do that. But I can talk to people, people I know are going to do something about it. And I know that will help you."

-"People? By people you mean Troye?"—Alexis asked, with her eyebrows raised—"He's her boyfriend, he's obviously going to take her side. Besides, she doesn't do anything I can't handle for myself."

Connor sighed heavily. Despite Alexis having a point that may prove valid for most couples, he had a nagging feeling that Troye and Lia weren't that same case. However, he wouldn't argue against it, because it wasn't worth the risk.

-"Al. Look me firm in the eye and tell me that she isn't driving you insane."

Alexis blew air through her nose sternly. She did that when frustrated. Connor knew all those little details of her all too well not to notice such a thing.

After trying to avoid his eyes, Alexis looked at Connor, without flinching. However, she didn't say a word. She didn't need to, because she was aware Connor would know she was going to be lying. But there was something else she did have to say.

-"I told you already that I can and will take care of myself."—she said—"You just have to let me show you that I can."

Connor was about to retaliate, but Alexis didn't let him.

-"I am older now, Con. I am no longer the scared five-year-old girl you rescued from being alone forever. Not anymore..."

Connor sighed, and cooed Alexis to move closer to him. He never hugged anyone but Alexis. And even so he did rarely. But when he did, he took in every second of the embrace.

-"... Remember you rescued me, too."—Connor said.

-"... Always take care of each other?"

-"... Of course..."

-"Then why, Con, why won't you tell me... what... what is really keeping you up at night?"

Connor pulled away from the hug, and saw Alexis' eyes once again. They were green, like his, but with a hint of brown he lacked. People usually didn't mistake them as blood relatives due to their appearance in general. The hair was a straight giveaway. But if you focused only on their eyes, they might as well be real brother and sister.

Sister. That's a word Connor dreaded. He dreaded it to the very end of every letter.

And Alexis' eyes, though beautiful, were a constant reminder to Connor that that word had a different owner. Someone whom he might never see ever again.

-"... It's the same as always, Al."—he lied, once again—"It's them... they follow me. I can't lose them. And I never will..."

Alexis took Connor's hand in hers, and squeezed it tight.

-"... I know."—she said soothingly—"But I have seen you deal with them all your life. And I know that this time, it is different. Maybe you aren't sure yourself why; but it's definitely... not the same kind of ghost."

---

Of course, Alexis was right.

She knew all about the ghosts of Connor's life, but now it was different. Connor knew there was more to his nightmares now. And those new ghosts, he didn't know how to fight.

With every day going by, fall went by and winter drew itself closer and closer, and with it, the darkest of Connor's shadows. Those that came back year after year; with a gloomy Halloween and an empty Thanksgiving gone, Christmas came around, which meant that that day was bound.

What a way to ruin the holidays.

It was one thing dealing with those, like he had managed to all his life long. He had Alexis to help him with that, too. The first two years were the hardest; when the anniversary of that day came around, Connor wouldn't get off the bed and his foster parents would snap at him from the smallest of things. They didn't understand. Most of them hadn't lost anyone they cared about. Alexis pleaded them to leave him be, but they still got mad at the sorry orphan kid. From every day of the year, that was the only one in which he really felt like he couldn't function.

And who in their right mind could blame him?

Sometimes, Connor thought he wasn't in his right mind.

He did learn to cope with it better with Alexis' help, after doing the grieving of seventy times seventy lifetimes. They didn't make the pain go away, or the ghosts. But they were enough to help him keep walking.

But this time around, not only were the ghosts coming back. They brought company.

When Connor wasn't thinking about how fucked up his life and whatever was going on with Red and Blue was, he was thinking about the storybook that had been anonymously delivered to Grace's house. He kept it away, locked in his drawer with a key, where nobody else could find it. Only Grace knew about it, and even she had been spared of the details. There was no way Connor would be telling Alexis, she would only grow worried. Even more so.

But that didn't change the fact that it was there.

Who had sent it?

It had to be... one of the other three.

But why now, after all this time?

Why spend years keeping it to themselves, and then out of nowhere mail it to Connor after years of not knowing anything about each other?

That made no sense.

Connor wasn't even sure if his siblings knew where he was. He was certain he didn't know where they were. It had been that way for a very long time. So, when he asked himself this questions about the mysterious deliverer, he started thinking about the three of them.

His little brother, Brandon. He was so young when Connor last saw him. About six, at the time of the accident. He must be in Alexis' year. Connor remembered playing with him all the time, even more than his other two siblings. Brandon used to say Connor was his favorite older brother. And speaking in truth, Connor knew that he probably felt like it was his responsibility to protect Brandon. The little kid always enjoyed accompanying their dad to work, at the hospital. Everyone said he'd be a doctor when he'd grew up. Connor wondered if he'd still want that. He also wondered if Brandon ever thought about him, the way Connor did. Because after what happened... Connor doubted he would ever be Brandon's favorite every again.

Nicola had always been bossy, but sweet. She would tell Connor and Brandon to behave, even more than their mom, whom she always mimicked. She had to be around ten when the accident happened. Connor remembered that in stormy nights, he used to go to his sister for cuddles instead of his mother. Not because he didn't want to, but because Nicola gave the best hugs in the entire world. At least that's how he remembered. She was so protective of him, and Brandon. Never of Dustin, because he was older, and she said that it was his job to protect her and not the other way around. She loved to cook, even as little. Her dirty blonde hair was the prettiest out of their entire family.

And then... there was Dustin.

Connor didn't like to think about him, let alone say his name. And for all the powers of the heavens, he pleaded that out of all of them, he wasn't the one who had sent The Gingerbread Man.

Because if it had been him, Connor didn't know what would happen to him.

The only person whom he had told their names was Alexis, and only once. Because of the deal that the two of them had, those three people were banned from their conversations. Because it was crossing a line that neither of them knew how to go back from.

But even so, there were days in which Connor wished he had someone to cross that line with, maybe just for once.

With this thoughts Connor spent day after day losing more sleep, and with the prompt feeling of his next meeting with Red, and the possibility of seeing Troye again. Too many things, all of them at the same time, like boulders on his shoulders. And carrying them all by himself was becoming harder with every step he took.

Connor didn't understand what was going on with Troye. Not one bit.

It felt good, that much he knew. But the aftermath was always dreadful; like there was something wrong. His chest pounded and his blood ran cold, even more so than when he and Troye were actually together. He didn't know if Troye felt the same way, but if he did, then did that mean that they had to stop? And what were they doing anyway? Connor kept telling himself-and Troye, that it was just harmless fun. That they were friends.

What if that wasn't what was going on.

Connor didn't believe in many things. He sometimes had a tough time looking up to the sky and imagining a God. But he had to force himself to, because if he didn't that meant that his mom and dad were all alone out there, and that was a thought he couldn't bear. That they weren't watching over his siblings from the heights of someplace in the heavens. He sometimes had a hard time believing that there was more to see of the world other than the cold white north he had always been at. He had trouble believing that the people around him, those that said they wanted to help, were being genuine.

But most of all, Connor wasn't sure if he was able to care for anyone.

So this thing, with Troye...

What was it, and were was it going? Because at this right, the way he was, Connor was sure he'd only get someone hurt. And that was the last thing he wanted. Despite being as cold as he was, he wasn't that cruel. This was what ate him inside every second of every passing minute. Every time he saw Troye even for a brief moment, he thought about how much differently what they were doing was from what they were saying, and how that was bound to bring consequences. But how could he avoid it, when not even he knew how to call it?

He knew how not to call it, that was for sure. Red had hit on the spot when she described him the first time they went out. And that thought was always on the back of his mind.

It's been years since you've been able to laugh out of pure joy...

It's better when people don't get involved. You dwell in the past. You play with shadows...

... You don't believe in love.

Connor thought he hid it well, though. Nobody besides Alexis had asked him anything about it, after all. He didn't count Mikey because, well, they did share a room and that meant that Mikey had no choice but to sleep through all of Connor's nightmares, which wasn't always possible. So that meant that, despite having so much shit on his mind, at least he didn't have to worry about people meddling.

Or so he thought.

The first sign that something was wrong was Lilly. She would send him odd, questioning looks from time to time in their class. Connor thought about ignoring them, but they became more and more frequent than usual. He didn't want to confront her about it, that would only bring trouble. She had other plans. One day, they were having lunch on their own. Joe, Oli and Caspar were nowhere to be found and Troye had promised to join them, but instead went with Lia because she insisted. Connor was watching the two of them from afar from the corner of his eye. It was then when Lilly had asked him if everything was alright.

-"Of course."—Connor asked, doing his best not to brood when talking—"Why wouldn't it?"

-"You've been off for the longest time now."—Lilly said, without touching her sandwich which was very weird of her—"And I don't know... you know you can always talk to me when you need to, right?"

Connor met Lilly's brown eyes. They were for once looking at him seriously. She wasn't being funny or sassy, she was actually offering her help to Connor. To her friend. Connor sighed, it was hard having friends after spending so much time on his own. He had forgotten all the terms and implications. Without thinking about he was saying, he spoke up.

-"I promise"—Connor said—", that if something is happening, I will tell you, ok?"

-"... Ok."—Lilly said, sighing herself—"Just make sure you keep that promise."

Just then, Connor realized what he had said. That wasn't a compromise he was willing to go through with. Not because he didn't trust Lilly, because so far she proved to be one of the most level-headed people he had met in this town, not to mention kind to him. But because whatever he was dealing with now, he didn't feel like he could share with anyone. But, he had already promised, even if he didn't mean it when he said it. And Connor always kept his promises.

Lilly was one thing, but the real trouble came on Wednesday, at noon. Inside an office with green walls covered in pictures of dogs and ladybug toys and dolls.

Connor tapped his fingers on the desk, his sight lost in the grey clouds outside. Some leaves were being blown around by the wind, high in the air. Across from him, sat the same slightly chubby woman with blonde hair and glasses, wearing a bright pink dress for once. She had her eyes fixed on him and her hands crossed on the desk. Even though she was grinning, anybody who saw her could tell that she wasn't exactly happy.

-"... Connor."

The boy's reaction was barely noticeable, but he was listening, and paying attention, even if it was for a slight bit. He just stopped tapping his fingers. To the guidance counselor, that was more than enough of a sign that the conversation wasn't one-sided.

-"... Connor, with how we've been doing so far, I thought we might not face a need for any further forms of therapy with you..."

She stopped mid-way. Connor didn't like that. That meant there was a 'but'.

-"... But"—there it was—", this has... changed."

Now he was paying attention. His eyes went towards Lisbug's hands. Underneath them, there were some papers he didn't recognize. He wasn't sure what they were, but to him, they looked like...

-"Your report card."—Lisa revealed, handing it over to Connor—"The current one, at least. Look at your grades, Connor. They have been dropping. Why?"

Connor actually moved himself to observe this time. She was right. He had never been the best student, never in his life, but even he had his standards, and this wasn't them by a longshot. He had been so deep into his thoughts as of late that he had forgotten the one thing he couldn't screw up in, the education that the system provided to him for free.

"Shit", he thought to himself, "How did I manage to fuck up this bad?"

-"According to what I've been instructed, I have to report this to your social worker."—the counselor said—"I didn't think I would ever see the need to, but..."

-"Wait."

Connor looked at Mrs. Schwartz pleadingly, like he swore himself he never would.

-"Please, don't tell her."—he said—"I know it's protocol and I've given you every reason to, but the semester isn't over yet and I know that I can still pull off—"

-"Connor, please calm down."

Connor cooled off when he noticed Lisa's smile. He had interrupted her, apparently on the process of giving him good news.

-"I'm not telling Brittany, Connor."

-"... What? ... Why not?"—Connor asked confused.

-"Because!"—Lisbug exclaimed, waving her hands as if it were obvious—"You and I are in this together, Connor. That's something I always tell the students I give counseling to, and I one-hundred percent mean it. And that means..."

She took Connor's card away from his hands, and tore it in half in front of him.

-"... That when there is a problem, we walk through it as a team."

She stood up and threw the papers into a trash bin, like it was leftover food. If it weren't for the fact that the term wasn't done yet, Connor would have actually snapped. But that wasn't the final report card; she wasn't even supposed to have it with her. She had clearly gone through some trouble just to show Connor how he was doing worse than usual, and to demand an explanation.

Just as he thought, after she sat down, Lisbug tilted her head a little to the left, and asked the same thing Connor was asking himself over and over.

-"... What is keeping you awake at night, Connor?"

It was almost creepy how spot-on that had been.

Connor swallowed down some saliva, and tried to avoid Lisbug's gaze. But that was still there, and she wasn't going anywhere.

-"Don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about."—she said softly—"It may not seem like it, but you have many people who care for you. And they worry. And when there is something to worry about, people come to me. Because I help. And I can help you."

What did that mean?

Had Lilly come to talk to Lisbug? No, that couldn't be it. She and Connor were together all the time, he would've noticed. Besides she had just asked him this same thing earlier. If she had wanted to be sly about it, she wouldn't have done that and be forward with him, so it couldn't have been her. And Alexis didn't trust guidance counselors.

So who?

-"... Come on, Connor."—she said, leaning in a bit closer and exhaling—"This is the reason I am here."

Maybe that was true, and that was why she was here. But there was no way she could understand. Not all of it, at least. But maybe one thing.

-"... I have... met someone."—Connor whispered.

-"... Alright..."—Lisa said, nodding suggestively as she caught on.

-"Not like that."—Connor said—"It's... it's a friend."

-"Another person we're calling a friend? Okay, that's a good start..."

She took some notes on her booklet, and Connor thought about how to phrase his worries.

-"... I am very distant. To everyone."—he said—"I'm sure you can tell."

Lisa frowned a bit, but she kept writing down stuff without looking at Connor directly.

-"It's easier like that, because, the less people you care about, the less you can get hurt, when... when something bad happens."

-"How do you know that something bad will happen?"—she asked, raising her eyes and looking at him.

-"Something always does."—Connor said, flatly.

At this response, Lisa nodded and put down her notes, instead focusing entirely on Connor. She took a hand to her chin, as if thinking.

-"... No matter how badly we may not want it, bad things happen to everyone. Especially good people."—Connor went on—"People who... who don't deserve it."

He was now talking in automatic, not thinking prior about what he was saying. The therapist had finally earned a patient that spoke his mind uncensored.

-"... At least that's how I've always seen it."

The sound of the ticking clock didn't make Connor nervous or irritated anymore. Instead it was soothing.

-"... And why do you feel that way?"—Lisbug asked—"Is it because of what happened to you when you were eight?"

Connor shook his head.

-"No, it's not... I mean, yes, of course that's a big part of it."—he explained—"But it's not all of it."

-"How come?"

-"Everything else! All my life..."—Connor choked up on his own words, struggling to speak—"I've always gotten the short end of the stick. And I've already gotten used to it. I learned to deal with it the hard way. Changing houses twice or three times a year every year, not knowing where me and Alexis are ending up next... Not knowing what happened to people I knew before the accident... It's a lot easier when you do not care because there is so much to lose. When you don't, you just get hurt in return."

Mrs. Schwartz looked at him firmly.

-"And because of this, you think it's easier to be alone."

Connor felt numb, but he nodded anyway. The lack of sleep due to the dreams was now more than evident.

Lisbug took off her glasses, and placed them on top of her desk. She pondered about what to say for a while. This wasn't an ordinary case; she knew that the second she met Connor. Dealing with children with difficult backgrounds was always a challenge, but she was experienced, and had a good heart and a great demeanor. And all the intention to help out Connor.

-"... You seem to dwell a lot with the things that have caused you pain in the past."—she said—"Have you ever thought about... letting them go?"

Connor raised his gaze, frowning, meeting hers.

-"Instead of thinking about what happened, thinking about what good things did? Or about the things you want to happen? Or about the things that are happening now."

Connor sighed. This was the same speech every therapist before had given him tirelessly.

-"I know you're sick of hearing that."—she went on—"But I'm not talking about choosing a career or alternatives that the State provides you with, Connor. I'm talking about, I don't know... moving to a nice house. Maybe visit some place you have always wanted to go to. Meeting someone special, starting a family one day. Doesn't any that sound like something you want?"

Connor never thought about those things. He knew it was pointless, and just feeding expectations of a life he knew didn't exist.

-"... No, none of them really do."

-"Are you sure, Connor?"—she asked, tilting her head once again—"Don't you want to make lifelong friends? Fall in love...?"

Connor sighed. If he was going to have that conversation, he might as well have it right.

-"... I don't believe in love."

At this, Lisa seemed to be a little taken aback.

-"... I have seen what it's like."—Connor explained—"I have seen how people 'in love' act, when nobody else is around... how they struggle to deal with the other person every day, until they reach a point in which it's just unbearable. They spend their days together, tolerating each other, only because they feel forced to. Because if they don't, who will take care of the children? And who will keep the house? And what will people say? And they forget about the things they want and want for themselves, and they put all the blame on the other person. It's a game for two but the loser is never you, it's always someone else. At least that's what you tell yourself. You don't see the mistakes you make, because how can you be screwing up? It's gotta be them. And one day, it all falls apart, and you end it, and start from scratch. And sometimes it's so bad that they aren't even able to see each other ever again..."

Connor thought back to Grace and her ex-husband, who abandoned her and Mikey.

-"... The smart ones are the ones that get a divorce. The stupid ones are those who get a lover instead of facing the facts. And then... and then..."

Connor did his best no to, but he knew he was crying in silence.

-"... And then, the sorry ones are those too scared to end it, and they end up going along with it, hating each other. And hating each other to the point of spending every second fighting. In the house, eating out, at school, at the park... in the car, on the highway, right before getting hit by a truck... and then everything is just over.... And the house gets sold, and the people start talking anyway... and the children... the children get taken away, without a say in it, and not hearing of each other again..."

By the time he was done, it had all been a mess of words, but Connor had made his point. Lisa looked at him sadly from across the table, knowing things she didn't know before, and understanding a bit more about the young man with the green eyes.

-"... So don't come and talk to me about love."—Connor said, shaking his head—"Don't tell me the same old stories they show on the movies and in books, because they aren't true. None of them are. They are just that, stories."

Lisa bit her lower lip, grimacing a little. But she had a lot to say in the matter, and wasn't keeping it to herself.

-"I agree."—she said, nodding her head—"Fairytales should be left in the books... but Connor, trust me when I tell you... Everybody, and I do mean everybody, is capable of love."

Connor scoffed.

-"Nobody I've ever met has been proof of that."—he declared—"Not my parents, or any foster parents... even Grace, who has to be one of the best people on Earth, is divorced and miserable for what that horrible man she was married to left her with. With so many good examples, how can I believe in such a thing?"

-"Then take me as an example."

Connor raised an eyebrow. Lisa gulped down saliva before going on.

-"Take me and my marriage as an example, Connor."—she said—"If you don't believe in love look at what me and Shane have. We are in love, and we are married. It is hard, yes... But we fight through with it. And I guarantee that we will prevail."

Connor sighed once again. She seemed very earnest about this declaration, but it still seemed so far-fetched.

-"I know you don't believe me, and that it sounds stupid."—she went on—"But I am here to tell you that, someday you will have your happy ending, too."

Connor looked at her firmly, his eyes watering, and his breath steady once again.

-"There is no such thing as happy endings."--he stated.

Lisa sighed, picked up her glasses and put them on again, and then looked at Connor with a sad smile.

-"This is good, Connor."—she said—"This talk we just had. It should be like this more often."

-"... Yeah..."—Connor said—"I... I think so, too."

-"Now, to the other matter at hand..."

Lisa took out some files from her desk and handed them over to Connor.

-"I have found just the perfect social work for you to do."

Connor took the filers, and started flipping through them. There were pictures of some sort of building surrounded by grass and trees, and people walking on the garden in small groups.

-"That"—Lisa explained—"is the Andrew Graham Foundation, and it's not far away from here. It's outside Yule twenty minutes away from Tubula, the next town over. It's great, because they do everything; they have a psychiatric clinic and they collect money for charity, they are also a homeless shelter and they accept foster kids from all around the area to help on their program."

The mention of other foster kids made Connor's stomach churn.

-"It's going to be good for you, because you'll work with other people your age."—she kept going on—"You'd be surprised to make some new friends. I've already enrolled you; you will be going starting this week and you'll help all the way through Thanksgiving, so two months. You are free to keep going if you want to, though."

Connor smiled shyly. He doubted he'd want that, but he had to compromise a bit.

-"Trust me."—Lisa said, grinning—"You'll like it there."

---

On his way back home, Connor stopped for a little bit by the music classroom, where he knew Troye had his lessons with Chester. And just as he suspected, he saw Blue playing a piece on the piano; a piece he found familiar. He then recognized it as the same melody he played at Mr. Louis' camp, though he wasn't singing now. Then he stopped, and turned around to see Chester, his leg shaking nervously.

-"... So?"—Troye asked.

-"... I love it."—Chester answered, walking into Connor's view—"Did you really write it all by yourself? It's a great piece of work!"

Connor could see Troye going a bit red and lowering his gaze while laughing, and couldn't help but smile.

-"You really mean it?"—Troye asked—"It's so amateur..."

-"It's raw talent."—Chester reassured—"I can tell you have a lot to tell with this melody. But... the lyrics you showed me..."

Chester waved some paper sheets he had in his hand.

-"... You aren't sure about these, aren't you?"

-"... Yeah, not really."—Troye confessed—"I don't know where to get them from."

-"That's the easiest part!"—Chester said—"Just write about what this song makes you feel."

-"But... but what if I don't know what that is?"

-"Oh, I'm sure you know what it is."—Chester said—"You just need some time to figure it out."

All the time Connor watched, he didn't make himself present. He just heard what they talked about, and thought to himself that if anyone could write the correct words for that music, it had to be Troye.

---

A/N

How is it possible that last week we hit 50k reads and now we are at FREAKING 63K!?

DO YOU EVEN KNOW HOW AMAZING YOU ARE AND HOW MUCH I LOVE YOU?

THIS MUCH! I KNOW YOU CAN'T SEE MY ARMS BUT IT'S A LOT!

Anyway, I thought that since we've hit the big 50 I would do a little Q&A! So for next chapter, leave your questions on the anotation HERE!

See ya soon, you crazy lot!

--Coffee

PS: Sorry for the feels. It had to be done. Also, how do you feel about the cover? Should I change it???

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

91.9K 2.8K 29
*Completed* "Don't talk, don't stand, don't look," i repeat in my thoughts as all the vampires walked by my cage and looked at me, i stayed in the co...
41.4K 3K 10
connor went missing, making him the cities biggest mystery. troye loves mysteries.
99.7K 1.4K 50
𝐈𝐭𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐥 , 𝐀𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐲𝐚𝐡 𝐢𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐢𝐧 𝟏𝟎𝐭𝐡 𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐝𝐞, 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐥𝐞 𝐬𝐡𝐞𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐬𝐡...
14.7K 468 21
Let's just say it's not all fun and games. The O2L boys went to the beach for a party celebrating winning a teen choice award. But when I, Kian get d...