Chapter 50: No such thing as happy endings

Funny, how it works in the ways of the heart.

Funny, how one day it all seems like it doesn't really matter, and it's hard to make sense out of things, yet on the next day it all starts making sense. Little by little, bit by bit, pieces line up and work themselves out, sorting themselves harmonically all around you. Maybe it's a universal joke. Maybe it's a way of telling you that it was about time this came to a close.

But whatever it is, when it does happen, it always takes you by surprise, and sucker punches you into a reality you didn't believe could exist. It's a one-hundred-and-eighty degree turn, and one hard to turn back from. Because how can you, when it seems like everything is finally alright?

Connor still found it hard to believe, if not impossible, for this to be his case.

It was hard to believe that after being in the foster care system for so many years, he would finally feel like the day he made real friends came along, so much so he even decided he didn't need any real friends. Now it was almost impossible to imagine life without Lilly, Oli, Caspar, Joe or any of the other people he had met in Yule.

It was hard to believe that after losing his parents he would ever feel like he felt part of a home again. Yet here he was, forming part of a home, one that he felt welcome and happy in, along with Grace, Mikey, Chester and even Goose. And of course, Alexis, the girl whom he thought he'd always have to protect from the cruelty of the sad world around them and who seemed like she would never be able to let go of the hopes of finding a mother she had never met, and now walked free from the red beanie she had dragged along with her all her life, no longer feeling the need to find that shadow of her past anymore.

It was hard to believe that after being separated from his family, he would ever see any of his siblings again. Yet just the other day Nicola, along with Brandon and their adoptive parents Jim and Tanya, had come to visit them, and they had all gotten to know each other, and spent such a good time together. And when Dustin showed up that very same afternoon, begging for his forgiveness after their last encounter, and Connor found it in him to forgive him, for real this time, he finally knew what it felt like to know that this was it. That the broken pieces of his life were being put together, making a near to perfect fit, after being broken for so long. And he and his older brother hugged, and everyone that day in Grace's house realized that they were all now in it together, without any chances of breaking apart.

And last but not least, it was nearly impossible for Connor to believe that someone who had been so hurt in life and crushed by their past could find their ways into the heart of someone else ever again. And despite this, just the other day they had celebrated Chester and Grace's announcement of their decision to get married, much to everyone's approval, especially Principal Hart, whom appeared the night after Grace gave the news to the kids with a bottle of wine, accompanied by her sister Hannah and her husband Flula. Mikey still hadn't grown used to calling her "Aunt Mamrie", but it seemed like it was unavoidable.

Yes, it seemed impossible to believe. But this was it; this was his reality now. Coming to think how it all got started by arriving in the gas station on the outskirts of town on that rainy day, with nothing but a single change of clothes, Alexis on his side, and a mysterious blue-eyed stranger riding in that same bus.

With so many changes along the time spent in that small Wisconsin town, Connor was certain there wouldn't be any more. There couldn't. But, like usual and we all suspected, that wasn't the case.

It was the first day of what seemed to be an early February Spring, or so said the weather channel, as well as St. Yule High's founding day. Still the streets were covered in fresh snow from a couple of days before, and the kids were all covered up in their snow coats to avoid getting cold. That afternoon Grace had asked Alexis, Mikey and him downstairs to the living room. She held her hands against her mouth, and paced around in front of them, looking carefully at her feet as she walked, one step at a time. Connor didn't recall ever seeing her this nervous before. Chester was standing behind her, standing on his tiptoes and back down from time to time, struggling not to make weird faces from the uncomfortableness, and failing. The tension in the air could practically be cut with a knife. All seemed stressed but Goose, who was happily wagging her tail with her tongue out, being patted in the head by Alexis.