Remembering Smiles

By InYourPants

Layla felt like she almost had her life back. After her father left without warning, things were pretty hard... More

Remembering Smiles
Chapter 1 -
Chapter 2 -
Chapter 3 -
Chapter 4 -
Chapter 5 -
Chapter 6 -
Chapter 7 -
Chapter 8 -
Chapter 9 -
Chapter 10 -
Chapter 11 -
Chapter 12 -
Chapter 14 -
Chapter 15 -
Chapter 16 -
Chapter 17 -
Chapter 18 -
Chapter 19 -
Chapter 20 -
Chapter 21 -
Chapter 22 -
Chapter 23 -
Chapter 24 -
Chapter 25 -
Chapter 26 -
Chapter 27 -
Chapter 28 -
Chapter 29 -
Chapter 30 -

Chapter 13 -

2.5K 34 6
By InYourPants

***Layla's Point of View***

"Wake up!" Chanted Camile.

She was shaking my tired body, but I knew I had to wake up. It was Allen's birthday today and we had all planned to make a surprise party. The only bad part was, it required us to wake up at 4:00 a.m. 

"Don't make me get a cold bucket of water! You know I'll do it." She said. I could sense the evil grin on her face and knew she would.  So, I threw off the covers and opened my eyes to show her I was awake. "That's my girl!" She said, already going through my drawers for clothing.

"Hey!" I mumbled. "I can pick out my own clothes."

"We are a half hour behind schedule, and your not helping. So, I have to make things go as fast as possible." She explained, already pulling out a white summer dress.

She threw the dress and it lightly landed on my face. She laughed as she left the room, and I knew I would have to get up and get ready. I ignored my drooping eyes and slipped on the dress while going to the bathroom. I made my hair even more curly then normal, but it still appeared casual. Then, I ran the mascara brush through my lashes and lightly brushed my cheeks with blush.

Then, something caught my nose. I could smell something burning downstairs and quickly rushed downstairs to see what it was.

"Camile!" I yelled. She was over the stove with a pan full of black and smoking pancakes. "What did you do?"

She smiled, obviously amused with the situation. "I was attempting to make pancakes, but I don't think I succeeded." She brought the pan over to the trash and tossed the mushed pancake into the garbage bag. "Well, that's the end of my cooking career!"

I rolled my eyes at her casual reaction and popped some bread in the toaster. "Camile, I need to get Raina and Triston, don't burn this." I said, sarcastically.

"Hey, I promise to never cook again if you promise to keep your sarcasm to yourself." She said, acting mad.

I giggled at her acting and ran upstairs to get Raina and Triston. Surprisingly, Raina was already up, but I still needed to get Triston. Waking him up is one of the hardest things known to man, but I don't kid around when I have to do it. Sometimes he gets me back when it's the other way around, but I don't mind.

"Wake up sleepy head!" I sang, using the most awful singing voice I could use. He slightly shifted and groaned. "Get up! Your slowing us down." I yelled. His response was throwing a pillow at my face so I threw it back.

"I'm up." He mumbled.

"Fine, you want it the hard way?"

His eyes shot open and he threw himself out of bed. In this household, the water bucket wasn't a joke. That's how Camile learned how to wake me up. I smiled as he gave me an annoyed look and left the room to check on Camile.

"The toast lived!" She called, smiling.

"Thank god!" I laughed, and took out plates. 

We all quickly ate our breakfast and then loaded into my car, but Camile took her own. I was onlyaloud to drive because we've visited there a few times, and I would be following Camile.  We were going to set everything up at his favorite restaurant, in a room we reserved. My mom was already there helping Allen's parents, Tabby and Mark. I thought it would be a little awkward meeting them, since I haven't seen them since my memory loss, but I figured I would get over it.

I pulled into the empty parking lot of Sticky Ribs, the restaurant, and got out. The sun was slowly rising, sending gorgeous colors through the sky. Camile opened the huge glass door as we got in and a waiter led us to the private room in the back. My mom finished taping the banner to the ceiling that read "Happy 18th!" and stepped off the ladder to greet us. Tabby and Mark shyly walked over, probably not sure on how to introduce themselves.

"Layla!" Mark called. I immediately saw where Allen got most of his shape from. Mark was very muscular and tall, and had a very confident yet welcoming stance. "How have you been?" He asked, all past awkwardness fading.

"Fine." I smiled shyly.

"Hey, I heard about what's going on. Allen, Tabby, and I are very proud on your progress! Good job kiddo." He smiled reassuringly. Even if I didn't recognize his face, his smile was very comforting. It reminded me of Allen, and maybe it was my mind making more connections. It's been doing a little bit more of that, but it wasn't anything too much.

"Thanks." I said, giving a very sincere smile. Tabby walked over and gave me a big and welcoming hug, which I returned. I felt very comfortable with these people, and that's been hard to feel around new people lately. 

"Why don't you and Camile set the tables? That's a little fun, I guess." She said, giving a light laugh. I nodded and Camile took my wrist and excitedly walked over to the tables, her high heels clacking against the tiles.

I would be more excited, but it was just too early. However, once I got to see Allen, I was sure my mood would get better. We had only four hours to set everything up before one of Allen's friends would bring him here. We decided not to have a dinner party, but a day party so it could be more casual. Allen wasn't a big dress-up fan, so that's how it was decided.

The time passed by slowly, but Camile and I did a really great job setting up the tables. The whole room looked amazing and full of life. Allen would definitely love it. I grew anxious to see him, but there was still a whole hour left, and Camile, Raina, and I were sent out to get the cake from the local bakery.

Camile decided she would drive because I wouldn't be familiar with anything that we would drive on, and I agreed. I paid attention to everything as we drove, hoping to get at least pieces of it set in my memory. As we approached the small bakery shop, we parked next to the curb and got out. I slammed the door of her used car shut and followed Camile up the sidewalk, making sure Raina was close behind.

When we saw the cake, we were all amazed. It was a few tiers high, enough to feed all one hundred fifty guests. The base was white, but it had so much detail you could barely see it. It was covered in all of his favorite things, but it all seemed to connect. We thanked the amazing baker and left with the cake in Raina's hands.

As we came back with the cake, guests already started to arrive and it was almost eight. I went to the room filled with strange faces and set the cake on the main table.

"Layla! How've you been?" Boomed a guy my age with curly blond hair.

I gave him a questioning look. Was I supposed to know him? Did he even realize I had lost all my memory?

"Aren't you going to say hi?" He replied to my awkward stare.

"Hi." I smiled, figuring it was better to just go along with it.

This happened a few times with people. Occasionally, I would find someone who knew I had no idea who they were, and they would explain themselves. At some point, I was so overwhelmed that I had to stand by Camile and as the people came around, she would explain who those people where. I was secretly dying for Allen to walk through the doors so that all the attention would be on him, and I wouldn't have to deal with random greetings.

Soon enough, the clock struck eight o'clock and we all stood in the position where we wanted to be once Allen entered. Tabby and Mark stood by the door while Camile, Raina, Triston, my mom, and I all stood in the center of the huge crowd. Then we all heard footsteps and Allen's voice.

"Where are we going?" Allen laughed.

"You'll see!" Answered Josh, his friend, probably for the fiftieth time.

Tabby and Mark opened the door as Josh removed Allen's blindfold. Allen's face lit up, and my heart exploded as he looked at me. I ran up to him as Tabby and Mark hugged him and grabbed his neck as he grabbed my waist. I was crushed in his embrace and I could feel my whole body warming to his touch. Then he lightly kissed me on my forehead, and we let go. Everyone gave us an adoring look and then went to say their words to Allen.

The party went by quickly. It was filled with laughs and new fun memories. Allen was smiling the whole time which made me happy. These past weeks were so stressful, but I was so glad to see him letting go. It was just enjoyment. I met a lot of new people, most of which I probably wouldn't remember unless I met them again, but it felt nice to see new faces. In some way, it was a little scary, but in the moment it felt great. 

Life felt great.

_____________________________________________________________

Comment? Vote? whatever floats your boat(: 

Happy chapter huh? Well, things are gunna start getting bumpy!!!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.3K 230 41
Layla McCall,17, was raised in a adoption centre after a terrible car crash split her family apart. When she turns 18 she finally leaves and starts a...
5K 326 35
Having grown up surrounded by a loving family and the simple pleasures of nature, Ella's life was ideal. She loved her home and knew, even from a you...
711K 21.9K 27
~ "I remember everything. From the way his laughter became infectious, making me automatically smile and laugh with him, to the desperate screams tha...
544K 13.7K 39
What happens when you realise the man who owns your heart no longer treasures it? The man you fell in love with no longer exists? Do you stay? Or do...