A Friend To The Elements

By ladybug23

In a world of shape shifters there are select rare individuals that can sense the energy in the earth allowin... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40

Chapter 15

861 15 0
By ladybug23

Chapter 15

*Adam's POV*

Everyone else had returned back to school and for them it seemed like life had stared to move regularly again. They were able to make jokes. Sit down together and eat food. Mom even seemed to be coming out of her depression. Zoey's older sister had found out she was pregnant, and Mom had been gradually parting with some of the unopened boxes and clothes that still had the tags on them. She had been expecting a girl, but Zoey's sister wasn't sure yet if it would be a boy or girl.

Josh alternated between staying at his home and in our guest room. After a month of him coming back and form we cleaned out and remodeled Henry's house. It would be a guest house for anyone needing a place to stay, but for the time being it was remodeled with Josh in mind. I knew she was still out there. I could feel the tugging in my chest, but it didn't matter which way I ran I couldn't feel closer or farther away.

When it came to physical tracking a wolf pack would be the easy winner between us and the police, but now it would come down to investigation and forensic work. I was thankful we got the police involved early on, but I prayed we could find her sooner rather than later.

I had transferred my schoolwork to home and was just trying to get my GED so I could only focus on finding her.

I heard a knock at the door and sat my laptop on the coffee table. I didn't bother pausing the television because I wasn't watching it anyway. I pulled open the door and Josh stood on the other side.

"Hey man. Shouldn't you be at school or something?" He nodded and stepped inside making himself at home.

"I got a call from Trinity, Lily's mom. She's in the hospital and wants to see you." Guilt settled in my stomach. I should have felt bad that her mother was in the hospital. I didn't know why she was there or her condition, but I didn't feel bad for her. I felt guilty for not feeling sorry for her. If I had said that out loud my mother would have chastised me. Lily would have been worried sick about her mother, but part of me was pleased.

I shoved my shoes on and pulled the leg of my jeans up slightly to prevent them from sticking into my shoes then shook it back down. I didn't bother with a jacket even though the weather was starting to turn cold. We both climbed into Josh's little car. He flipped the heat on and began to drive into town. The window fogged slightly, and he flipped the windshield wipers on, but when that didn't help, he split the heat between the car vents and defrosting vents.

They deserve this. It was wrong of me to think it, but I couldn't think anything else. When it came down to it Thomas didn't step up when my mate was gone. When I felt like I was going to lose the one person who was put on this Earth for me, he stood by. Never reached out. I understood that it wasn't safe for the pack for them to join the search, but he could at least call. I assumed Josh had been giving them updates, but it still made me furious that I don't think he even had my phone number.

I still hadn't figured out if I would tell Lily about what I perceived as the betrayal. Sometimes I imagined her coming home and me telling her everything. Other times I imagined holding it inside me for the rest of our lives. I wasn't sure which scenario brought me more satisfaction. If I was honest the answer was neither.

Josh pulled into the parking lot and climbed out of the car. "Are you going to give me any warning as to what I am walking in on?"

"Took you long enough to ask." Josh turned around and smirked. We were around each other pretty much all the time. I had started to see him almost more than Noah. Noah helped us search. He never stopped being there for me, but he didn't understand. He went home to Zoey. He needed to be there to have dinner with her. Go on dates with her. Begin their lives together. Josh and I were frozen in time. Most of the time we didn't speak. We didn't need to most of the time. What would we say? It would only be about her.

"It's pre-eclampsia. They think it's brought on by stress, but she'll be in the hospital until the baby comes."

"So why should I be here?" We walked through the sliding doors, and he waved at the front desk worker, and she gave him a warm smile. The elevator button dinged when he pressed the up button.

"It's not a minor case. Right now, they are observing and doing everything they can, but they have an officer that calls weekly and it's just too much for her. She had a seizure last night. Alpha has asked the police to stop calling her, but she asks them to continue. It's too soon to induce so right now she's playing a dangerous game."

I swallowed hard and balled my fist. Of course, the police wouldn't call me. She's a minor and still, for legal purposes, under the supervision of her parents. "Still not answering why I am here."

He cut his eyes at me and stepped into the elevator clicking the floor three button. "Because my Luna asked to see you."

We remained silent through the rest of the elevator ride. Despite everything, I couldn't doubt his loyalty to them. To her family. His family.

When we walked into the room the first thing that hit me was the intense smell of flowers. I wrinkled my nose and fought the urge to sneeze. Something about visiting and sneezing at a hospital felt wrong.

Trinity laid on the bed in a pink hospital gown with the white thin blanket pulled up to her ribcage. She looked almost completely unrecognizable. Her face was puffy and swollen to the point of small red broken blood vessels scattering her cheeks. The lights were dimmed, and she pushed away the food tray as we walked in.

"Josh and Adam. Oh, I'm so glad you made it." Leo stood up from the small couch and walked over into the light. The couch was covered with hospital pillows and blankets. I was positive that he only left when he had to, and pack business probably came to her hospital room. He reached out his hand and shook mine. I held it probably a little too tight forcing him to make eye contact. He had deep purple rings that surrounded his eyes. A shadow of stubble was growing untamed across his jaw lines. He looked like a worried shell of himself. I wonder if that was how I looked.

I chose to believe that my eyes said I was determined and optimistic, but I had a feeling they mirrored his. He gave Josh a side hug the started walking towards the door. "I'll go grab you some more jello." She nodded and waved me closer to the side of her bed. Josh took a seat in the corner like he had been staying here the entire time.

She placed her hand on mine and gave me a warm smile. "I need you to promise me something." I clinched my jaw but nodded. "I love my daughter. More than life itself. She was so happy to be with your family. It was hard for her. Being what she is and hiding it. With you all she didn't need to hide. She was conflicted about leaving her family, but she was moving to a freer life for now." Her words stopped and she squeezed my hand gently. "I have given the police your number. You'll start receiving the weekly updates. My heart. My body. It can't handle it."

I nodded thankful that I would know first any information. I didn't trust them to actually call me if there was any news. I didn't understand yet what I was here for though. "When you find her...make sure she is free. She shouldn't be trapped inside herself. Make sure she is taken care of. When you find my daughter tell her I love her. If I am still here let me see her again."

"You will be the first one to greet her again. I am sure we will find her, and you will be here to hug her again. I won't let anyone trap her ever again."

*Samantha's POV*

Henry's hand tightened around mine as the nurse squirted what had to be way too much gel on my stomach. She warned me it would be cold, but I wasn't expecting it to be a shock to my very core. The nurses face crinkled as she gave me an apologetic smile.

She pressed the cold knob against my abdomen and moved to the side. She glanced between the portion of skin exposed by my unbuttoned pants and the screen. Her eyebrows furrowed together, and I felt a panic creep into my throat.

A shrill ring pierced through the room. The nurse and I both jumped. She accidently smeared the goo further up my stomach then began profusely apologizing. Henry's hand ripped away from mine and began fishing his phone from his pocket. The number was blocked but he swiped his phone open. I kept my eyes trained on the nurse's hand as he stood up and walked towards the hall. He tapped my foot forcing me to look up. His hand covered the mouthpiece of the phone and mouthed that he would meet me at the car. The door clicked shut behind him and the nurse placed a reassuring hand on mine.

"First time parents?" I nodded and refused to meet her eyes. "It happens sometimes. It just hasn't started to sink in that it's a real baby in there yet."

She pressed the sonogram into my abdomen again and moved in small circles. She tilted it to the side and stared at the screen. I watched her face looking for any signs that something was wrong with my baby. She tilted her wrist he opposite way and a smile spread across her face.

"Sorry Hun. This Is a newer machine. Still figuring it out." Her second hand reached up and turned the screen. She began pointing out the tiny features. I felt my eyes warm as the baby moved around.

"Do you see that little flutter right there? That's little guy's heart."

"Little...guy? He's a boy?" I used the heel of my palm and wiped away the moisture from my cheeks.

"Oh, my goodness...you didn't want it to be a surprise, did you?" I shook my head and smiled.

"Can I have some pictures to show Henry?"

"Of course, sweetie. You're at about twenty weeks."

She finished up the rest of the appointment and gave me a handful of pictures then sent me on my way. I walked out to find Henry leaned up against the car with his phone still pressed to his ear. He gave me an apologetic smile and climbed into the car. He switched between phone calls and briefly told me there was some sort of work emergency.

As soon as we pulled into the yard, he walked me to the door and turned back to his car.

"Henry...Do you want a picture of him?" He waved his hand in the air and kept walking. He started to drive away, and I couldn't help but sigh and turn back around towards the house. I came face to face with the girl I had named Lucy.

"Congratulations. I know I'm not allowed to speak with you, but you deserve to hear it." I smiled and nodded.

"Can I ask your name?" She shook her head and quickly glanced around making sure nobody was around us. She stepped closer and grabbed my hands tightly. Her eyes were concerned and urgent and her voice came out quickly.

"You have to get out. You have to get him out." She glanced down at my stomach and squeezed my hands even tighter.

"Hey! What do you think you are doing?!" 'Ryan' took long strides and gripped 'Lucy's' arm yanking her away from me. She looked at me frozen and terrified.

"No no. It was my fault. I got dizzy and she was helping me steady myself. Second trimester symptoms and all." His grip loosened and she was able to wiggle away and walk towards their house. I gave him a small nod and smile before heading into the front door.

I didn't get to see Lucy again. I wish she had told me her name. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

70.9K 237 11
As the title says
171K 2.4K 33
Nagkataon naman na ang dumating na jeep ay lima nalamang ang kasya, kaya nauna ng pumasok si mama sumunod naman sina kuya tanner, mac at kuya Cedric...
235K 7K 50
we young & turnt ho.
176K 4K 17
lucent (adj); softly bright or radiant ✿ ✿ ✿ My brother's hand traces the cut on my right cheek for some minutes. I have no idea how a cut can b...