The Nerd Can Fight (#1)

By justanothergirl1314

(First book of the series - cos people keep on missing my sequel announcement 😭) Cassandra Johnson is Pixie... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Published
Sequel
Prequel - Bryant's Story
Ily

Chapter 21

109K 4.4K 992
By justanothergirl1314

"You are not going to fight in that competition, Case!" Adam yelled and I glared at him in defiance with my nose flaring in anger.

"You can't tell me what to do!" I screamed at him in frustration. We've been going at it for more than half an hour now and I'm getting tired of his shit. I will fight if I want to fight. He doesn't control me.

"Yes, I can and you're not competing, end of discussion." He stated firmly and I snorted at him. He thinks he gets to call the shots here? Well he better get off his high horse before he gets thrown off.

"You're not my father," I seethed at him and he narrowed his eyes at me.

"Well, I know for a fact that he wouldn't want you to go. If I had a daughter, I wouldn't let her risk her life for anyone. Hell, I wouldn't let her street fight!" His voice raising an octave higher and we continued to yell at each other.

"Shut up, both of you. You're giving me a headache. It's too early to yell, can't we calm down and talk about this like civilized people?" Monic emphasized while rubbing her temples, looking beyond agitated.

We both turned to her simultaneously and yelled a "No!" in sync before turning to each other and go back to glaring.

I heard her sigh and the chair scraping the floor before feeling a hand settle on my shoulder and a petite body slipping in between Adam's bulky physique and me, seeming to try to calm the both of us down before we bit each other's head off.

My gaze snapped to the kitchen door when I heard soft thuds on the ground and saw Adam's younger brother; Pio, who was still 2 and a half years old, waddling in and rushing towards me.

He was wearing a yellow polo shirt and a pair of trousers that reached an inch below his knees and he has this cute bowl cut that gave him the special affect to melt anyone's heart.

During my visit, he seemed to have taken a liking towards me and is fascinated by my hair.

"Casey! Casey!" Now, normally, I would've wrung any person's neck if they as much as called me that nickname but let's face it, I'm a sucker for this little guy.

A small smile graced my face and I could feel my features soften once my eyes landed on him.

As he waddled towards me, he reached out and motioned for me to pick him up with puppy eyes. I chuckled at his motives, I seriously need to toughen myself up to those eyes or he'll surely be the death of me.

I picked him up by his underarms and rested him on my hip, securing him by placing an arm on his back.

"What's up, little guy?" He jutted out his lip and I frowned, not liking the fact that he's upset.

"Who's face do I have to mess up?" I asked him in a serious tone and I was serious. If anyone dared to hurt Pio, I will have their heads. In a matter of an hour, the little guy has me wrapped around his tiny finger.

He shook his head at me and grinned instead and I silently awed at the sight. This boy will be the end of me someday.

"Mommy said she wants to talk to you.'' He said slowly and I nodded at his words. "Okay, tell Mommy I'll be there in a bit, okay?" I told him, lowering him to the ground.

He nodded enthusiastically, "Okay!" His foot touched the ground and he give me a small wet kiss on my cheek before rushing out, leaving me to giggle at his cute move.

'That kid's gonna be one heartbreaker.' I mused silently in my head before turning to Adam that was staring intently at me, looking like he was deep in his thoughts.

"This isn't over. Far from it. But we're gonna talk about it later," I told him, snapping him out of his trance and he nodded stiffly before I turned on my heel and headed to see Carla a.k.a Mrs. Jones a.k.a Adam's mom.

I reached her room and opened the door after knocking thrice and the sight of her on the bed, her body half covered with the duvet broke me and almost made me lose it then and there.

I might not know her and we might have only met once before but she's such a lovely woman and mother to her children and she was so accepting when she thought I was Adam's girlfriend that I felt happy for whoever Adam's bride would be.

"Hey, Carla. You wanted to see me?" I spoke softly as I took a seat at the foot of her bed. She smiled when she met my eyes, her eyes seems so exhausted and I went back to a week ago when I saw her last. She looked so different, so.. worn out.

I didn't even notice that tears were rolling down my cheeks until she beckoned me to come nearer and wiped my cheers dry in a motherly way and I sniffled the tears. The gesture was so familiar to when Bryant would always comfort me when I get scared that I can't help hugging her.

It was an awkward position but I was too far gone to care.

"Hush child, I'm still breathing. It's all that matters." She pulled back, patting my cheeks softly and I returned the smile she offered me weakly.

"I'm sorry," I told her softly and wiped the stray tears that decided to betray me.

I've honestly never cried for anyone else than Bryant and to feel this much affection towards someone I barely know is just.. improbable.

But you are feeling it and it's real.

"Cassandra, promise me something?" I shook my head, not wanting to hear what she's about to say.

"No, Carla. You're gonna live. Don't make it sound like you're not gonna make it. I know you will. I know you will make it. I'm sure. You're strong and- and-" she cut me off by pressing her index finger upon my lip to shush me.

She smiled softly at my denial, "Case, I'm an old woman. We're all bound to die in the end, to return to the man above. I'm not afraid to die. I'm afraid of what my death will do to my children." She voiced her doubts and the minute I heard her statement, I saw her in a brighter light, I saw the fighter that she is, the strong woman behind the calm, motherly exterior.

I saw her, truly saw what's underneath all those layers of smiles and motherly affection she shows to her kids. She is the strongest woman I've ever met and in that moment, I let my tears fall, not bothering to hold them back.

In that moment, I felt pride surge in me just for knowing knowing such a brave woman.

I nodded at her, "I'll promise you anything, Carla. Anything." I told her after a moment of silence.

The smile was still intact as she told me what she wanted me to do. I kept having to swallow the lump in my throat as she told me what she wanted me to do and I tried my best, I really did, I tried to keep the tears at bay as much as possible.

It wasn't easy but when she finally finished telling me her request, I nodded and gave her a weak smile and another tight hug.

"You're a great mother and a beautiful woman, Carla. Inside out." I whispered into her ear and she chuckled lightly.

"Funny you said that, it's exactly what I thought. You'll make a great mother yourself some day and I'm gonna be sorry that I won't be able to see that happen." I kept a tight smile on and gave her a kiss on the cheek before leaving her bedroom.

The door closed with a silent click and I slid down the wall beside it.

Dear God, why did the best people have to go? I asked silently as tears stream down my face

Soft footsteps sounded through the hollow corridor as I lowered my head.

"Casey? Why are you crying?" A pair of tiny feet appeared before me as Pio wrapped his hands around my neck.

"Is it because of mommy's sickness?" Pio asked and when I didn't answer, he continued. "It's okay, Casey, don't be sad. Mommy always told me like when Grandpapa passed away, that God picks off the best people on Earth like we do when we are in a garden full of flowers."

His small hands patted my back in what I think is an attempt to console me and my conscience decided to chastise me.

Look at you, Casey. You're here crying because of a woman you don't even know is dying, being consoled by her son.

I feel like an idiot. For once, my conscience was right. I was supposed to be the one comforting this small boy, not the other way around.

I sniffled and hugged him back, "You're a good kid, Pio and your mom is really proud of you." I told him whole-heartedly and I didn't even need to hear it from Carla because even a blind man can see the obvious adoration that's always present in her eyes whenever the little guy is around.

Pio was too young to loose his mother, to loose his role model. No, it won't happen to him. Not in this age. Not on my watch.

In that moment, whilst hugging the little boy close to me, I promised myself something.

I'm not gonna let you die, Carla. I'm going to fight for that treatment you deserve. Your kids still need you to guide them through their lives and I'm not just gonna stand here looking like some bloody fool, waiting for you to breathe your last breath.

I'm going to fight, Carla. I promise I'll fight til my very last to give you the money to fund the best treatment out there.

Don't worry Pio. I won't let anything happen to your mommy.

•~•~•

Damn that's one sad chapter.

Pio is such a cutie and I regret nothing in creating his character. I love the little guy <3

Anywaaaays, tell my what you think about this and I'm really sorry for the wait. Wait, no. Nevermind I take it back. I regret nothing.

I really do love you guys and I hope you have a good day or good night, wherever you are right now.

Love y'all! Ciao broo -J

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

78.3K 3.2K 24
Cassandra Gray is and always will be a nerd. She's the kind of girl that wears superman tees and reads comic books, and has never missed a superhero...
335K 9.7K 51
Highest Rating: #73 in TEEN FICTION Cover is fan made :) "Being a nerd had destroyed my self esteem enough; I'd had it." People can be cruel. Many do...
Fighter girl By Jade

Teen Fiction

788K 20.3K 28
I'm a fighter, I fight for the the things I want, I fight for the little family I have, I fight for everything I believe in, but most of all I fight...
859K 40.5K 26
With her deadly secret out in the open, Cassie must fight even harder to protect not only her sister but her own heart. ...