Paper Birds

Bởi xdontleaveme

Fall seven times, stand up eight. This is what Clarissa Coligan learned that she must do in order to survive... Xem Thêm

Prologue - Please Leave A Message After The Beep
Chapter One ; Run-Away Concert
Chapter Two ; Kissing a Stranger
Chapter Three ; Never Found Alone
Chapter Four ; All About The Money
Chapter Five ; Safe At Last
Chapter Six ; Can't Be Wrong
Chapter Seven ; Remember The Day
Chapter Eight ; Don't Take Any Chances
Chapter Nine ; Back Again
Chapter Ten ; Flooding Memories
Chapter Eleven ; Rejection At Its Finest
Chapter Twelve ; Finally Connected
Chapter Thirteen ; Nightmares
Chapter Fourteen ; Escape from Authority
Chapter Fifteen ; Edge Of The City
Chapter Sixteen ; Hospital Flowers
Chapter Seventeen ; Sink Or Swim
Chapter Eighteen ; Scars Left Behind
Chapter Nineteen ; Thunder
Chapter Twenty ; Lightning Strikes
Chapter Twenty-One ; The Rain Comes Crashing Down
Chapter Twenty-Two ; Up Against Bricks
Chapter Twenty-Three ; Cut Off
Chapter Twenty-Four ; Just Friends, Only Friends
Chapter Twenty-Five ; Leave
Chapter Twenty-Six ; Unite, Finally
Chapter Twenty-Seven ; Tied to Imagination
Chapter Twenty-Eight ; Only One Haven
Chapter Twenty-Nine ; Questioning Sanity
Chapter Thirty ; Trapped Inside Your Own Skin
Chapter Thirty-One ; Drown in Lies
Chapter Thirty-Two ; Walking on Sand
Chapter Thirty-Three ; Faltering Voices
Chapter Thirty-Four ; A New Engagement
Chapter Thirty-Five ; Looking for Trouble
Chapter Thirty-Six ; Don't Blink
Chapter Thirty-Seven ; Guns But No Roses
Chapter Thirty-Eight ; The Haunting Tide
Chapter Thirty-Nine ; The Running Game
Chapter Forty ; Kingdom Come
Chapter Forty-One ; The Torment Epidemic Commences
Chapter Forty-Two ; The Life Triangle
Chapter Forty-Three ; Honey, I'm Home
Chapter Forty-Four ; Breaking Claire
Chapter Forty-Five ; Meet the Parent
Chapter Forty-Six ; Kamikaze, Come Down
Chapter Forty-Seven ; Prison Bars
Chapter Forty-Eight ; Reacquaintance
Chapter Forty-Nine ; Before
Chapter Fifty ; During
Epilogue - Paradise

Chapter Fifty-One ; After

42 2 0
Bởi xdontleaveme

My eyes still lay on Dylan's limp and bloody body when I heard him speak. I jerked my gaze towards him.

"Damnit," I muttered.

I didn't have any time to think. I ducked and rolled away from him, scrambling back on my feet and bursting down the sidewalk towards the setting sun. I mumbled every curse word I could think of, still in shock. I didn't dare look behind, but I could tell he was gaining on me. Then, out of nowhere, another thug-looking guy stepped out infront of me. I stopped so fast that I fell over on my knees. "Damnit." 

The guy who killed Dylan towered over me, his creepy grin gone. 

 "Grab her," he demanded, just as the the other man yanked me off of the ground by my shoulders. 

"Who are you?" I asked, trying but failing to kick myself off of the man holding me. 

"Me? Oh, darling, I'm your worst Nightmare." 

I squinted at him, trying to remain remotely calm; panic gets you nowhere, as I've found out. "Is that your name? Nightmare?"

"Aren't you the quick learner."

Why did all of the gang-looking people have the most stupid nicknames? I didn't have time to think about that, though, because he kept talking.

"You should be familiar with me! After all, you were the one who killed my brother."

My eyes widened, a sense of sudden realization taking over my mind. That's why everyone was after me. They thought had killed Talon. 

The other man was dragging me down an unfamiliar street. I elbowed him in the gut and he winced, his grip loosening a little. I used this to my advantage, whipping half way out of his arms and snap kicking him in the jaw. Nightmare made a disgruntled noise of annoyance as I burst down the narrow street, having no idea where I was going or what I was doing or what the hell was happening. 

I searched desperately for any of sign of the hotel we were staying at but nothing seemed familiar. I fumbled with my cell phone in my pocket, dialing Harry's number as fast as I possibly could. 

No answer.

I had no time left to lose. I could hear Nightmare's footsteps coming from behind me already, my heart racing. With no time to think, I pivoted on my foot and dashed down inbetween two stores, looking back just to make sure he wasn't on my tail when I collided with something tall and firm. I staggered backwards with an 'oomf', pushing my bangs out of my face to see who it was.

"Harry!" I exclaimed, throwing my arms around his neck and jumping into his arms. He dug his forehead into mine, kissing me suddenly and pulling me tighter to him. 

"Claire, where have you been?" he asked, out of breath. His eyes were dancing excitedly and restless, as if he had been searching the whole world to find me.

"They-they killed Dylan," I confessed, still not believing the words that came out of my mouth. Harry set me down slowly.

"We need to get out of here," he decided carefully, gently grabbing my elbow. 

"No! He's after me; Talon's brother. He thinks I killed Talon, not you. They all think that. I have to let them keep thinking that, or they'll be after us forever."

His eyes narrowed to slits. "What? I can't- let you do that."

"'Ello, love-birds," came a sickeningly crude voice from behind us. 

I looked up at Harry desperately, trying to find some sort of refuge in his eyes. He grabbed me by the waist, his gaze fixed upon Nightmare. "What do you want with her?"

His eyebrows shot up. "An' who are you?"

Harry smirked. "The one who shot your brother."

Nightmare swallowed. "The- what?" Then he did something that chilled my blood to the bone. He grinned his awful, crooked, yellow-toothed grin. The one that resembled Talon so much I could've mistaken it for him if I didn't know any better.

Harry squeezed my hip as if to say, 'I got this.' At this point I wasn't so sure, but he seemed confident and it was the only thing I had left to hand onto. 

At least I thought so until a whole gang started to pile in behind Nightmare. About a dozen came in out of nowhere. Some were taller and packed with muscle, while others were a lot smaller but armed with at least a gun and a switchblade.

"We're fucked," I murmured, not able to tear my eyes off of them.

"Not yet," Harry said, taking in every one of them. 

"Just tell us what you want," I demanded a bit more boldy than I had intended to.

"First, we want all of the money dear old Tally boy owed us," said a husky man behind Nightmare. 

Harry glanced at me before flickering his stare towards them again. "Done." 

I clenched my fists, knowing I was the one who dragged him into this whole mess.

"Then I want to avenge my brother's death," Nightmare growled through gritted teeth, taking a revolver out of his inside coat pocket.

My lips trembled. "Not done."

Harry snatched me off of the ground unexpectedly, clutching me to his chest as he sprinted in the other direction. I focused on the his curls to keep calm, watching them fly back from his face. The cold bit at our cheeks, and everything seemed to moving much slower than it did before. 

I blinked, almost letting go of Harry when the wind came rushing back at my face at the speed of light. My mind snapped back to reality, moving much faster than they did just seconds ago. Harry was whispering something to me I couldn't hear over all of the yelling behind us. At the first gunshot, Harry whipped around the corner and slammed up against the wall, sinking to the ground. 

"Are you okay?" he asked breathlessly, not letting me go.

"I'm fine, I'm fine," I replied in a hushed tone, my heart racing. He squeezed his eyes shut and tilted his head away from me.

"We need to split up," he said. My mouth dropped open.

"No," I sputtered, digging my head into his chest. "You can't make me leave you!"

He opened his eyes and looked directly into mine. "Clairedy, they're going to find us soon. It's our only chance of survival."

"How will I find you again?"

Harry squeezed my hand. "You'll always be able to find me."

He buried his fingers in my hair and pressed his lips against mine before getting up and running to the right, not looking back.

I blinked back tears and got up, creeping around the corner and jogging back the up the way we came. I prayed with all of my energy that they would never find either of us. I couldn't call for help. The police would do nothing to make it better. In fact, they'd probably arrest Harry and me for a number of charges.

Not the second I stepped out onto the sidewalk did I find one of Nightmare's guys just across the street, trying to look casual. I ducked into dentist office just beside me, breathing heavily. I glanced at the lady sitting at a counter who slid open the glass in front of her. "Need anything, miss?"

I swallowed. "No, thank you."

She raised her eyebrow at me. "Then why are you here?"

I cleared my throat, peeking out of the window to the street. "Uh, hiding from an ex."

The lady snorted. "Stay as long as you'd like."

I threw her a quick smile. "Thanks."

After about ten minutes the man left. I sighed in relief, giving the lady a curt nod before hurrying out of there. I didn't know how to get to my old house, and I really needed to at this point. I ripped my phone out of my jacket pocket, only to find it dead. I growled in frustration, stuffing it back in the pocket and jogging back down the sidewalk, searching for anything that seemed vaguely familiar. Nothing. 

My heart almost stopped when I heard the first gunshot. 

I sprinted in the direction I heard it, raw determination and adrenaline filling my veins with an unfamiliar strength. I refused to stop, the only thing on my mind being Harry. I stopped short in front of a vacant lot, another gunshot making my ears ring. I dashed down behind the concrete wall at the end of the lot just as the third bullet was shot. Shot into the one and only Harry Edward Styles.

He staggered backward, up against the concrete wall, smearing it red. Slowly he sank to the ground, another bullet peircing him right by the shoulder. His head turned to me, his eyes pleading. My whole body was shaking as his eyes closed and his body went limp. 

All I knew is that I didn't want to live without him. I couldn't live without out him. 

I ran infront of the only person who could make me happy, spreading out my arms like wings. You know how they say right before you die, your whole life flashes before your eyes? They were right. Every memory, every minute, every day came back to me like a rush of wind. I couldn't hear anything, couldn't see anything except for his face. 

A fifth gun was shot that night.

And so I fell beside Harry, staring up at the stars for eternity. 

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

13.4K 300 31
Jordan is just your average 17 year old teenager. Well except for the fact that she's depressed, cutting and living alone. After running away from h...
2.5K 26 10
What do you do when your world begins to crumble down? You're on your own, no one there to help you... Different thoughts racing through your mind...
373K 8.2K 29
Alex Dimanni's life just went to hell. After losing her best friend in a car accident, she doesn't know what to do anymore. Somehow, she finds hersel...
54.6K 539 30
Lindsay Warren was a normal teenage girl.... she had the perfect family: an older sister and two wonderful parents. she loved her life, but when her...