Safe

By idkbree

Rae, the daughter of a lawyer, has always helped her father with cases, but not one quite like this. Aiden, a... More

chapter 1
chapter 2
chapter 3
chapter 4
chapter 5
chapter 6
chapter 7
chapter 8
chapter 9
chapter 10
chapter 12
chapter 13
chapter 14
chapter 15
chapter 16
chapter 17
chapter 18
chapter 19
chapter 20
chapter 21
chapter 22
chapter 23
chapter 24
chapter 25
chapter 26
chapter 27
chapter 28
chapter 29
chapter 30
chapter 31
chapter 32
chapter 33
chapter 34
chapter 35
chapter 36
chapter 37
chapter 38
chapter 39
chapter 40
chapter 41
chapter 42
chapter 43
chapter 44
Epilogue
New Story

chapter 11

49.2K 956 96
By idkbree

I was awoke by the musky smell of cologne igniting on the pillow I was using. My eyes fluttered open searching for more of the duvet to cover myself with. Satisfied with the new warmth the duvet brought me, I settled in the comfy bed again, wanting to go back the dreamy state I was in. Until a raspy voice spoke.

"Ah uh, c'mon. Time to get up sleepy head."

I was startled by the voice. My eyes snapped open to find a curly boy grinning at me.

"Holy shit, Harry! You scared me." I exclaimed.

"Sorry, but you have to get up. You fell asleep here last night and it was too late to wake you." He lightly grinned.

"I-I slept here?" I asked pointing to the bed underneath me.

"Actually you fell asleep on the sofa, and I didn't want you to sleep on there. So I moved you to my bed." He lowly replied.

"Did you.." I trailed off.

"No, no. I slept on the sofa instead."

"Oh, well thank you." I smiled.

I looked over to the dresser that held the alarm clock, squinting my eyes to read the small numbers. My eyes widened when I realised the trial is in three hours.

"Shit, I have get home! My dad is probably worried sick."

I jumped out of the bed, a sigh of relief washed through me when I saw I was still in the same clothes I came in. I was thankful that Harry hadn't decided to change me in my sleeping state. I rushed out of the room, down the hall to my bag and shoes. I hastily pulled on my shoes, muttering out curse words when they refused to go on easily. Harry made his way down the hallway, joggers hung low, exposing the navy band of his boxers. He was still completely shirtless, toned muscles in full display. I looked up to him, he seemed unsure of what to say.

"Harry?"

"Yeah?" He replied.

"Thank you. F-For letting me stay here for the night."

"Anytime." He grinned.

I rose up from tying my laces to stand in front of Harry. I caught hold of his hands, peering up at him from my small height.

"I'll see you in a few hours." I happily smiled.

"Yeah, but I won't be able to talk to you." He frowned.

"Hey, just remember after you win, you'll be free to do what you like. That's gotta motivate you, right?" I asked.

"Even this?"

Harry leant down capturing my lips with his. He smiled into the kiss, his hands releasing my own, and moving to hold my lower back. He pulled me into him, deepening the kiss. My arms rose, wrapping around his neck. I smiled before pulling away.

"I really have to go now. Goodbye, Harry."

"Goodbye, Rae."

Harry let go of my back, lightly pushing me to door. I picked up my bag, and opened the door. I turned around to see Harry still standing there, his hand scratching the back of his neck.

"Bye." I whispered before closing the door.

***

On the way home from Harry's I called my dad telling him how sorry I was that I didn't come home. I blew off some excuse that I fell asleep at Grace's house when we got into a deep conversation. My dad understood, it's happened before and he knew how into gossip I could get with Grace. I was happy when I got home that my dad didn't pester me with other questions, and just told me to quickly get dress so we could head out.

When we arrived to the Old Bailey Courthouse, we seemed to be one of the first people there for the case. My dad always liked to be early no matter what the occasion is. We grabbed our stuff to bring into the courtroom, and headed to the doors.

When we made our way into the room, my assumption was right, we are the only people here. I set my fathers briefcase on the prosecutors table, taking out the papers and laying them out for him.

After a while of talking to my dad from the place right behind him in the stand, many people had came and taken their place to witness the case. The jury was called up to take their place in the box. Aiden was brought in after everyone was seated in their places.

All heads were turned upon hearing the rustling of a door near the judges stand. Harry walked into the courtroom with two cops following suit. Harry didn't look best pleased with the cops. When his eyes landed on me, a smug smile showed on his lips. I smiled back, hiding it with my hand but Harry could still see it. Aiden turned in his chair, peering back at me. His face held disgust. I faked a innocent smile back at him, causing him to abruptly turn around.

"All rise." The cop instructed.

Everyone rose from their seats in respect for the judge. When the judge entered the room, I was surprised to a large, round woman enter the room. She looked to be in her sixties. Her face held an unhappy frown. She was clearly not happy to be here.

"You may be seated." She said in a monotone voice.

Everyone sat in their seats, waiting for the instruction of the judge. She organised her paper work and called my father to rise and question the defendant. My dad rose and called Harry to the stand.

"I'd like to call Harry Styles to the stand."

Harry stood from his seat at the defendants table to make his way to the stand. An officer stopped him, making Harry place his hand on the bible and swear to tell the truth. Harry swore and took his seat next to the judge.

"You may begin." The judge called.

My dad cleared his throat and scratched his chin before speaking.

"So Mr. Styles.." My dad began.

"Call me Harry." He corrected him.

"Fine, Harry. Can you recall what happened the night of the murder?"

"Yes, I was at the pub over on second street, I had a few drinks but I can still remember everything. I remember Aiden calling me towards midnight and asking me to pick up some money a client owed to him." Harry recalled.

"And did you go to the place where he told you to meet the client?" My dad pondered,

"It was my job so I said yes and went to the address he told me to go." He answered.

"And what happened when you got there?" My father continued.

"When I got there the man was waiting in the alley way. I walked up to him and asked if he had the money he owed to Aiden."

I looked over to Aiden, he seemed baffled by the story Harry was telling. He was putting on some show for the onlookers. Making faces showing what Harry was saying is false.

"When I got closer to the man, I realised there was another person with him. The other person was Aiden." Harry spoke. His hands nervously running through his dark curls. "I-I didn't know what was happening until the man turned around with gun held to Aiden's head. He said if we don't leave him alone and let the money he burrowed alone then he would shoot. Both of us."

The fear in his eyes told me he still was not over the traumatic experience. Harry had obviously never been one to be subject to gun point until that night.

"What did you do?" My dad carried on.

"I stayed there. I was too frightened to move, but too scared to leave my friend that gave me everything." He paused. "Then there was a bustling noise behind them, maybe a stray cat, but the man turned around to check, and Aiden took his gun from him."

The room remained quiet, not daring to make a noise to break the tension.

"Before the man could talk, Aiden took the gun and shot him." He continued.

"Oh please! Are you seriously believing this shit!?" Aiden shouted from his now standing position.

"Sit down Mr. Williams. And not another word from you. Continue Mr. Styles." The judge ordered.

"Thank you, Your Honour." Harry said. "When Aiden shot him, we knew he was dead, but I still got to my knees and tried to stop blood. Aiden looked guilty as soon as it happened. But then he panicked and put the gun in my hands. That's why my finger prints were on it. Then the cops came, and Aiden ran off leaving me there."

"So you didn't shoot the victim?" My dad asked.

"No."

"Why didn't you do anything when you saw your friend at gun point?"

"I told you, I was in shock. I was frozen. I didn't want him to shoot me." Harry said with as much honestly in his voice as he could.

"That's all for Mr. Styles, Your Honour. But I would like to call Mr. Williams up." My dad said.

Harry was excused from the stand and made his way to his seat. My dad called Aiden to the stand next. Aiden went up reluctantly, not caring about the oath taken on the bible.

"So, Mr. Williams, is there anything different that you would change from what Mr. Styles had just said?" My dad asked.

"Yes there is. When I was making the deal, Harry came like I told him, but he was hammered. He looked angry. When he came to me he was yelling things about how I disrupted him and he said that he wanted to get the job over with." Aiden carelessly recalled.

"And what happened after that?"

"He brought a gun out and told the man to give me my money and he won't kill him. When the man tried to reason, and I protested, Harry pulled the trigger and shot him."

The stands filled with gasps. Aiden's story was bringing more attention to him. His part being more interesting then Harry's.

"After that, Harry looked like he snapped out of this thing he became. It's like he was a different person. He looked at me then tried to hide the body and that's when the sirens started." Aiden finished.

"Did you stay?" My dad asked.

"No, I didn't want to be caught in Harry's problems again."

"Again?" My dad repeated

"Yeah, Harry always has himself in messes. Some of them are violent or for his job, and I'm always there to help him out, but I couldn't do it for this one." Aiden replied looking as a glum as he could.

Once Aiden was off the stands, other witnesses were called up. I sat silent the remainder of the time. Harry didn't risk looking at me, but I did notice Jack was looking at me a substantial amount of the trial. He didn't look happy that I was here. He gave me looks of disgust as I watched the people being questioned.

It was nearing the end of our trial session and everyone was beginning to tire out. The jury took notice to Aiden's fake story, their attention to him rather then Harry. I noticed Mr. Hampton becoming frustratingly angry with the jury concern for Aiden. Jack quietly argued with Harry, the arguing got louder and the judge called out to Jack.

"Is there something wrong Mr. Hampton?" The judge asked.

Jack stood up from the table and walked to the centre of the court floor. I glanced to Harry but I was only met with apologetic eyes.

"Your Honour." Jack began. "How would the court take to my client, Mr. Styles, to be used by another person on the prosecuting team?"

My throat dried, eyes widening. He knew.

"Not easily. The court would have to address the situation and move from there." The judge replied.

"Yes, it seems that, Rae Clarke, the daughter of Mr. Samuel Clarke, has been using Mr. Styles to get information to provide to her father, Aiden's attorney. The information that is now used against my client." Jack said as he pointed me out in the crowd.

This isn't happening.

--------------------

Pleaseeeee comment & vote :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 14 18
when two kids from rival families hook up it changes everything. she is 17 and has never had a boyfriend, until the middle of the summer and someone...
3.9K 250 26
Just to let you know, I'm terrible at descriptions. :((( Aiden Woods has been living alone with his abusive, alcoholic, father since the day his moth...
877K 25.7K 43
When Stella was given a choice her senior year of high school to choose between the man she thought she loved and their unborn child... the choice wa...
215 9 6
Emily is being charged with her brother's crime. She's fine with getting out of it on her own, or else facing the consequences. When Hanley comes alo...