His Last Joke (Sequel to His...

By DCfreakxox

Previously after Eva getting involved in pursuing a certain jewel with The Joker and The Riddler. Evangeline... More

Blank
Home?
I'm Back!
Patient 0801
Therapy Begins
Back Story ?!
I Know You
Glass Slides and Love Bugs
Dinners and Skype Calls
Concrete.
Home?
Settling Back
Just Like Me!
History Repeats Itself
8:30-ish
Behind The Cowl
Is This Goodbye?
Take Me To Him
Here Comes Natalie
Fake Blondes
Hot Dogs and Chess?
Alone
Falling Back
Black Out
Miss me?
Founder's island
Package Delivery
Breaking The Bat
Titan
The Power's Call
Test Results
Merry Christmas
Batman To The Rescue
Put Batsie On Speed Dial
The Bat Has To Die
Daughter of The Demon
The Demon Trials
The Grand Finale
Author's Note

Wayne Manor

2.8K 124 30
By DCfreakxox

~ Chapter 20 ~

I watched as Natalie hooked up the solution and made her way out the door. I turned my gaze back to Jack who was also watching Natalie leave as I did. He then turned his gaze back to me as the door closed and gave me an uncomfortable smile before shifting his gaze between the sheets and his fumbling fingers and me.

"So..uh..you know me?" He asked and turned to me again.

I then walked over and sat in front of him on the bed.

" Yes, I do know you." I tried to say in a soothing tone before giving him a soft smile.

"Well...? Who.. am I?" He asked after a long pause and after choosing between the millions of questions I saw burn through his eyes. I paused for a second trying to find the right words to say. I looked up at him and he looked like he was about to break. His eyes were slightly twitching every now and then and they were still red from his previous breakdown.

"Your name is Jack. You could say I'm your.. best friend." I spoke. I tried to maintain my composure but sitting here and seeing him like this was breaking me.

"Jack." He whispered half to himself as he looked down.

"Jack.." He repeated a little louder as he looked up at me with wide eyes startling me a little.

"Yeah that makes sense. It sounds familiar, the way you said it." He spoke.

"What more can you tell me?" He asked.

"I don't know. What would you like to know?" I asked him.

"I don't..God! I don't know! Anything! You said you're my best friend! You'd know! So literally anything you'd say would help!" He suddenly shouted taking me by surprise.

He then took a deep breath and something changed in his eyes as he looked up at me and cleared his throat.

"I uh..I'm sorry. I'm really..I truly am sorry I just.. I don't know what came over me." He said softly looking back down at the sheets.

"You used to live by the narrows but then you moved to the west side of Gotham. On the other side of the island. I used to live with you for a while." I spoke and he looked back up at me.

"I know you're probably unfamiliar with all of these places but you'll remember them eventually. I'll help you through this." I added when I felt like the information I gave him was useless. He then reverted his gave back to his hands as he tried to find any relation to the things I was saying.

"It's okay Jack. I know how hard this is. I've lived through this before, I too lost my memory at some point. I only remembered fragments of a past life that I could never have now. I was with the wrong people and you..you never gave up on me. You were patient and stood by me through it all and that's what I'm going to do to you. I'm not gonna give up on you Jack. You will get your memory back and you will remember me. I assure you. We are going to get through this." I spoke as I moved my hand onto his leg that was crossed in front of him.

He then looked up at me then back to my hand which was on his ankle. He stared at my hand for a few seconds before turning to me.

"Is that an engagement ring?" He asked quietly.

Panic had stricken me for a second before finding my voice again.

"Yeah..I'm engaged." I replied.

"But..I thought you said you lived with me for a while.." He furrowed his eyebrows.

"Yeah uhm my fiance is..he's not really in Gotham and you offered me a place to stay. You know, so I wouldn't be alone." I explained and he nodded still staring at my ring.

"Would you like to see it?" I asked him hoping it would spark something in his memory.

He looked up at me and I took it off and handed it to him. He stared at it for a while and his eyes widened slightly at the sight of the ring.

"It's very beautiful." He said handing it back to me. I then let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding. Nope it's gonna take a lot more than that.

We then kept talking about 'his memories' and how his life 'used to be' until he started getting worn out. He was slightly more opened to me now and I was relieved. I thought this was going to go much worse. I then left his room to let him rest and walked out of the I.C.U section.

I walked around the asylum, lost in thought before I found myself at my locker. I opened it and grabbed my bag which didn't really have anything inside and the paper with my desk number and headed downstairs. Almost all of the lights were off, I passed by the cells' hallways' and heard the regular screams and cries of the tormented patients which I was so used to.

Those of them who didn't wallow all night long were so used to the sounds that they probably couldn't find sleep without them. I made my way to the heart of the asylum and walked through the dark office area and made my way to my desk. I then sat down and turned on the small reading light before resting my hands in my head. I rubbed my face before closing my eyes and talking a shaky breath as tears that I held for so long finally escaped my eyes, shaking throughout my body. I finally gave in and let myself cry in the darkness of the huge office area.

After a few minutes of sobbing into my palms, I then wiped my eyes and took a deep breath as I tried to collect myself again. I then rubbed my face and crossed my arms on the desk before hearing someone's breathing. I then snapped my head up and saw Batman, blending in with the darkness that surrounded my desk.

"How long were you standing there?!" I questioned him.

"What are you still doing here Bruce?" I sighed before asking quietly, too tired to comment on his entrance.

"What? No lecture about how I'm the reason for all the grey hairs on your head?" He joked.

"Besides, I could ask the same thing of you, Ev." He replied.

"I guess I'm staying here. I don't have a place to stay anymore." I said.

It was true. There was no way I was going back to my old apartment. Other than the spiderwebs and dust piles that were currently sharing the place with me, the rent collector probably locked up the place ages ago.

"So you're just gonna sleep on your desk?" He asked.

"Pretty much. I don't have any money on me. What am I supposed to do? Steal some? You know the Batman's out there." I replied poking fun at him.

"Eva.." He started.

"You know you can come stay at my place." He spoke.

"No. I'm not sure I can do that just yet, Bruce. After what you've done..I don't think I can be around you right now." I replied.

He remained silent but still stared at me.

"I'm fine. Thank you for your concern." I sighed then spoke a little softer after sensing that I was too harsh on him.

"Okay, but if you ever need a place please consider-" He softly said after a long pause of silence.

"I will. Thank you, Bruce."

"Goodnight, Eva." He said before walking away.

He walked away this time. No disappearing into the shadows or vanishing mid-conversation. He didn't glide out the window or grapple up through the roof. He just walked out.

I then put my head on the desk and prayed to god that this day gets over with already. After about an hour of trying to sleep I then began to think things through. I can't possibly stay here forever. I needed a place to stay. I needed a place to be able to change and do all the things that this building wouldn't allow. What would the workers think if they come here and find me sleeping in my desk every morning. I had to take up Bruce's offer. I hated the fact that I had no other place to stay but I gathered my stuff and headed out of the asylum anyway. It was 4 in the morning and I knew how dangerous it could be out there but I went out anyway. I couldn't stay here.

It took me about 20 minutes to find a taxi just off the main road and about an hour and a half to get to Wayne Manor. I had fallen asleep through the cab ride and the driver had to wake me up when we got there. I then paid him and got out of the cab and looked up at the house in front of me. The sun was just beginning to rise and the cool morning air made my eyes water a bit. I then climbed the stairs and knocked a few times on the giant door. After a few minutes, the door opened and revealed Alfred.

"Ms. Striker. I was expecting you. Please, come in." He greeted me before he moved aside, allowing me to enter.

"Thank you, Alfred." I replied softly as I went in and took off my doctor's coat.

He then showed me to my room and I thanked him again before he left me to rest. I asked him to wake me up in two hours because I had to go to the asylum again before he agreed and left.

I looked around the huge room and found the wardrobe opened with some feminine looking clothes inside. I walked up to it and looked through as I found it full of women's clothing, all seemingly my size. I then sighed before making my way to the bed, taking my shoes off, and falling asleep.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys!!

This was kinda another filler chapter!

Hope you guys like it!

My wattpad was crashing all day so bare with me if there's any mistakes I will be editing later.

Don't forget to comment your thoughts and vote!

Hope you're all having a great day!

Much love xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.6K 625 31
In the two years following the gruesome attacks of the Riddler, Detective Jessica Kent's life was just beginning to get more difficult. Despite her o...
5.3K 231 33
Harley Quinn is arrested by Batman and thrown in Arkham, where she meets the infamous Poison Ivy and realises her attraction to the Mistress of Seduc...
329 6 7
After a breakout at Arkham Asylum, Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy, form an unlikely alliance with Selina Kyle, Catwoman, to take down an infamous threat...
18.5K 697 15
𝗛𝗲𝗹𝗱 𝗵𝗼𝘀𝘁𝗮𝗴𝗲 𝗯𝘆 𝘄𝗮𝗿𝗿𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗰𝗿𝗶𝗺𝗲 𝗳𝗮𝗺𝗶𝗹𝗶𝗲𝘀, 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗽𝗹𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘆 𝗼𝗳 𝘀𝘂𝗽𝗲𝗿-𝘃𝗶𝗹𝗹𝗮𝗶𝗻𝘀, 𝗚𝗼𝘁𝗵𝗮𝗺 𝗖𝗶𝘁𝘆...