The Swap

By ShortandSweet01

Brynn Bennett is confident, fun, and outgoing. She's the nicest person you'll meet unless you get on her bad... More

Prologue
She's Not A Clone
Not A Natural Red Head
Game On
Partner From Hell
If Murder Wasn't Illegal
Not-So-Dumb
Almost Friends
Oh Captain
White Lies
Recipe For Trouble
Chocolate and Scary Movies
Meeting the Parents
A Fright To Remember
Happy Birthday To Me
Rumor Has It
Surprise, Surprise
Author's Note
Four Letter Word
Play The Field
Alone Again
The Dog Days
Mother Dearest
Sticks And Stones
Exposed
Trapped In Thought
Face To Face
Coming To Terms
The Waiting Game
Defining Moment
Epilogue
Wattys!!
Author's Note

Change of Plans

2K 124 5
By ShortandSweet01

Sending a big thank you to @SAIMA_2608 for the beautiful cover!

Happy reading and don't forget to vote :)

~ ~ ~

I stared at their faces, trying to read their expressions. It was a little difficult considering the fact that I was also trying to avoid their piercing eye contact.

"So, let me get this straight," my dad finally said. "You and Melanie swapped lives and no one noticed the change?"

I shook my head. "Everyone noticed, but they didn't know we were twins so we got away with it."

"How far did this swap go? Have you been living with her parents too?" My mom asked, her voice laced with hurt.

"Of course not, mom. Her parents travel a lot for work. Kind of like you only not as far and not as long. They didn't find out until very recently." I explained.

They stared again and I bit my lip. The waiter came around and filled our empty water glasses but none of us acknowledged him.

"What was the goal of this again?" My mom asked.

I sighed. "We wanted to get back at Mel's classmates for tormenting her. She wasn't confident enough to stand up to them, so she's been spending time with the girls while I've been building up her reputation."

"So, no one from her school knows that there's two of you?" Dad asked and I shook my head.

My mom raised an eyebrow. "Not even Jaxon?"

My stomach dropped. Slowly I shook my head again. "No. Jaxon doesn't know either."

"Oh, Brynn." My mom began and I withheld a groan. Hear it comes. "Honey, a relationship can't be based on lies!"

"Your mother's right."

Thanks dad.

"This can't keep going on, you need to tell him. Tell everyone, actually." My eyes widened.

"Mom, I can't do that! We've already come this far!" I exclaimed. My heart rate began to pick up.

I knew we were going to have to come clean eventually, but I wasn't planning on that for at least a few more weeks. I thought I had more time. I needed more time.

"This has gone on long enough-"

"But mom," my voice raised slightly in desperation and my mom sent me her signature warning glare.

"Brynn Renee Bennett, do not raise your voice at me." She said with her finger raised.

I sunk lower in my chair before replying, my voice was quiet and pleading. "I'm sorry, mom. But you have to understand, Mel isn't ready to go back yet. I've acquired a lot of attention in the past few months and if just throw her into that the other students will eat her alive."

My parents looked at me like they wanted to argue but realized they couldn't. It's not like they could tell me that Melanie would be fine, they didn't know her. And I knew she wouldn't be. She'd grown more confident for sure but there was no way she could face Hanna or Cameron separately at this point, let alone both of them together.

There was also the fact that I wasn't ready to tell Jaxon that I'd completely lied about everything. I liked him, a lot. Probably more than I'd liked any other guy and I didn't want to risk him hating me for keeping the truth from him.

I knew that in order to get Melanie and Cameron together I'd have to tell them the truth. I just hoped that Jaxon wouldn't change his mind about me after finding out that I'm a different person.

After the longest dramatic pause in history, my mother heaved out a long sigh.

"When does Melanie get back from this trip of hers?" She asked me.

"Next Thursday." I replied quietly.

She pursed her lips and thought for a moment. "I'll give you two weeks after she comes back before you have to tell everyone the truth."

I stared at her in shock. Was she actually giving me more time?

"Does that sound fair, honey?" She asked my dad.

He nodded. "I think that's a good ultimatum."

I let out a breath of relief and smiled at them. "Thank you so much."

They returned my smile. "You're welcome, baby doll."

~ ~ ~

After finishing dinner, my parents and I went back home and spent the night watching scary movies. My mom could only make it through Christine and Child's Play before demanding that we watch a comedy before bed. She chose The Birdcage to finish off the night and we all went to sleep with high spirits.

I was so relieved that my parents were willing to let me go along with this lie for a little while longer. It gave me more time to prepare myself, and also time to break the news to Melanie and help her get ready to come back.

I couldn't help the slight feeling of fear building inside of me. I didn't want to go back to the way it used to be. Going to an independent school had been my idea, but I guess I'd been missing human interaction. Pretending to be Mel and spending time with her classmates was actually something that I'd come to really like. I dreaded the thought of going back to my life where I only saw other people twice a week and stayed in this house alone.

I was really glad that my parents were staying now but I didn't want to give up the friendships I gained. I didn't want to give up Jaxon.

A lot of my fear was based around him, I couldn't deny that. It surprised me just how attached I'd become to him in such a short amount of time. I was scared to death that he'd change his mind about me once he knew the truth.

I tried to shake off this feeling, but it stayed with me throughout the entire night. I slept restlessly, tossing and turning, waking up at every creek in the floorboards. In the morning I took a long, hot shower and drank two cups of coffee hoping to make myself more alert.

Since I was on a schedule now, I needed to start my plan today. I was going to get information on Cameron; what he liked, what he didn't like, what he wanted relationship-wise.

I knew that this would be the perfect way to leave. Reveal to the entire school that I was a different person, get Melanie and Cameron together, destroy Hanna in the process. It was a long shot, but it was all I had. I didn't even know if Cameron liked Melanie but I was going to find out.

I went to school with my conflicting emotions warring inside of me. The sky was clear but the air was cold. I shivered as I walked towards the front entrance and zipped my jacket closed.

I found Cameron standing outside of his locker with Alex and a few other guys on the soccer team. I went over to them and greeted them with a small smile.

"Hey guys." I said.

They all responded with their own greetings.

"Hey Mel, are you going to the game next week?" Cameron asked me.

I nodded. "Of course, it's the first one of the season."

The team had been practicing extremely hard for this season. The coach kept saying that this was going to be the best year yet, that the team might have a chance at state championships.

"Of course she's going." Alex said with a smirk. "The captain is her boyfriend."

My cheeks filled with heat at his statement. The word "boyfriend" still sounded foreign to me. I'd only ever had one other boyfriend when I was fifteen.

Our relationship only lasted two months and ended when I found out that he only used me for sex. He was two years older than me, and smarter. He took advantage of the fact that my parents weren't home with me and convinced me that it was what a good girlfriend would do, and I believed him.

It wasn't the best break up. He got tired of me not long after I gave myself to him and moved on to some other poor, naive freshman.

It was hard but I had Maeve, Clara, and Marina to help me get over it. It was easier since I'd been on independent studies by that time and I didn't have to see him everyday. I heard he'd moved to another state some time after that and I hadn't seen him since the break up. I'd made my peace with it since then, but that experience made it hard for me to trust anyone.

Jaxon somehow made his way past the barrier, though, and I was glad. His presence was a comfort for me.

"You mean co-captain." Cameron corrected him. He was very protective of his title as co-captain.

"Same thing." Alex shrugged.

Cameron crossed his arms. "You guys never respect my authority as co-captain. Jaxon's not the only one in charge, you know."

"You're so sensitive." Ian, one of the other guys said.

"He's just mad that he's still single. No one's going to be cheering for him in the bleachers." Alex said with a laugh.

Cameron rolled his eyes. "That's not true. You guys are single too."

Ian and Alex ignored him. "You know Cam, if you really want a girlfriend that badly, just go ask Hanna. I'm sure she'd love to be your personal cheerleader on and off the field." Ian said with a smirk.

Cameron scrunched his nose up with a look of disgust. "No, that's okay."

Alex laughed loudly. "Why not? She's hot and she likes you."

"Yeah, why not?" I chimed in. They looked at me in surprise. I wanted to hear from Cameron the reason why he refused to date Hanna. It was apparently no secret that she liked him, and yet he never went for her.

"Don't you hate Hanna?" Cameron asked.

I blinked. "Well I do, but Alex is right, she's gorgeous. What's the problem?"

"You of all people should know what the problem is." He told me with an eye roll. "Her looks don't make up for the fact that she's a-" he cut himself off.

"A bitch?" I supplied with a helpful smile. Cameron looked like he wanted to argue but eventually just shrugged and nodded.

Alex threw an arm around Cameron's shoulders and squeezed him tightly. "Little Cammie here is looking for someone to take home to mommy."

Cameron shoved him off. "So what if I am?"

I smiled. Cameron was a great guy, no wonder Mel liked him.

"Nothing man, I think it's sweet." Alex pinched Cam's cheek.

Cameron once a shoving him away. "All I'm saying is there's more to a girl than just looks." He shrugged and I nodded in agreement.

"Dude we know that, but most of the girls around here try too hard." Ian said before looking at me with a smirk. "Too bad Mel's off the market, right? She doesn't try at all."

I glared him and laughed. "Wow thanks Ian."

I felt an arm slide around my waist and I smiled. Jaxon leaned down and pressed a kiss to my temple causing a swarm of butterflies to fill my stomach. I glanced up at him but he was looking at Ian.

"What was that?" Jaxon asked Ian.

Ian just grinned and shook his head. "Nothing."

The bell rang and the guys began walking off towards their classes. Jaxon turned me towards him and placed his hands on my hips, my own arms trailed up and wrapped around his neck.

He pecked me on the lips before giving me a heart-stopping smile.

"How was it with your parents?" He asked.

I grinned and started pulling him down the hallway. "Great. I'll tell you about it later, we have to get to class. Mr. Reid already hates you."

He chuckled and held me back from walking any further. He tugged me forward and leaned down, pressing his mouth to mine. I lost my breath as our lips moved slowly together, my skin was on fire.

He pulled away from me. "I have nothing lose then, right?"

I let out a breathless laugh and pushed him towards the classroom. "Come on."

~ ~ ~

Hey guys, here's an update!

It was kind of a filler chapter but at least it's something, right? I'm already working on the next two chapters so be on the look out for those.

Okay, so the end of the book is coming right around the corner. If there is anything that you want to see in the remaining chapters please let me know in the comment box!

While you're in the comments I'd also love to know who your favorite characters are. What are your favorite ships? What do you think of Brynn's parents?

Last thing: this is unedited so if you see any mistakes just let me know and I will fix it :)

Please COMMENT and VOTE!

Thanks For Reading :)

~Lori~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

38.7K 1.9K 44
(+18) . . Mel is beautiful and strong but asocial and weird. The smartass attitude and foul mouth often get the best of her, and not many people can...
1.1M 25.1K 54
18+ "Did you fuck him"he said as he leaned against the wall and stomped out his cigarette. "I sure did "I said lying through my teeth just to get a r...
2K 61 16
"Oh, shut up," I joked while nudging her playfully with my shoulder. She planted her eyes in mine and articulated slowly, "Make me." My eyes widene...
176K 7.9K 51
I ran from the beach knowing everything might now be in the open after my stupid blunder. I made it to my rooms bathroom wiping my tears as Kristrin'...