Your Guide to Writing the Per...

By _thewritersdiary_

As the title states, this is your tutorial, created by me, to writing a story to the very best of your abilit... More

Introduction
Cover Making
Capitalization
End Punctuation
Commas
Quotations
The Difference between Semicolons and Colons
Dashes
The Wonders of Word! . . . And Spell Check
Past, Present, and Future Tense
Point of View
Flow
How to Use a Fragment Sentence Properly
Planning Your Story
Researching Your Story
Finding the Plot
Creating Conflict
Writing Effective Background
Originality
Tone and Mood
Your Style: Your Story
Important Organization Tips and Skills
How to Start Your Story
Prologues
Writing Effective Dialogue
Dialogue Tags
Twists: When and How to Use Them
Developing 3D Characters
Changing Characters for the Worst
Naming Your Characters
Developing Character Relationships
Stereotypes, Archetypes, and Clichรฉs
Writing Strong Antagonists
Bad Boys
Love Interests
Love Triangles
Being Realistic
All About Text Talk
Figurative Language
Writing Effective Descriptions
The Difference Between Good and Bad Fanfiction
Mystery Musts
Writing Historical Fiction Properly
How to Write Science Fiction
How to Write Romance
Effective Endings
Epilogues
Choosing a Title
Everything You Need to Know About Chapters
Fillers
Fighting Writer's Block
Writing Humour in Stories
Writing Foreign Languages
Dealing With Criticism
Offensive Language - Being Aware
The Pressures of Updating
Killing Procrastination
How to Promote Your Story Properly
Creating the Perfect Synopsis
Means of Improvement
Finding a Good Editor/Critic
Plagiarism and Copyright
Is Your Story Worth It?
The Publishing Process
Conclusion

How to Write Short Stories

1.6K 72 8
By _thewritersdiary_

The first thing you should know about me is that I love short stories. I love to read them and I love to write them. So I can honestly say that I truly believe every word in this chapter and I know what I'm talking about when I give you my advice. I love to analyse things and short stories are the most interesting, in my opinion. The reason I tell you this is so you get that I know what makes a good short story and what doesn't. I hope you'll take my thoughts to heart.

1. Always Plan

For some reason, a lot of people work on this illusion that because short stories are shorter than a novel, they don't have to plot it out beforehand. Well, let me tell you something. Every published short story out there that you have read and loved? All of them were planned. Everything in them was intentional. 

You may wing it on your novels and pick up the broken pieces and smooth over the rough edges after it's done, but you can't do that with a short story. The reason is that if you screw up something in your short story you've basically ruined the entire story because it is short. Plus, if you don't have any idea why you are writing a story, just that you want to, you ruin the entire point of writing a short story. They are written to get a message across. You need to realize that before you start typing. But more on that later.

2. Strong Start

One of the most important parts of your story is having a good first sentence/paragraph. In a short story, there isn't time for boring backstory and random things your protagonist is doing. You have to jump straight into the story. Find my chapter on effective first sentences. For short stories, the same applies except it is even more important. People tend to judge short stories on their first sentences even more than novels. Why? Because there is less time for it to start getting good. In a novel with a rough start there's at least the small comfort that it could get better. Short stories aren't like that. If the start is weak, chances are readers won't waste their time because they assume the rest won't be any good either. 

Make sure that your first sentence reveals character and delves into emotions. Most short stories are emotionally character-driven.

3. Emotion

Like I just mentioned, short stories thrive on their emotion. Unless the emotion gets in the way of theme (which it usually doesn't) or the characters serve a small role (which is also uncommon) you need to incorporate emotions. In novels the emotions are drawn out gradually because authors have the advantage of time in their novels. I've already explained that short stories clearly do not have that in the same way. 

The best way to incorporate emotions is to have a character that is damaged in some way, or is very passionate about something. Their conflict usually has started before or right when the story begins. In my short story "Open Cage", Brooke is depressed. That's how the story begins. The plot is about her being encouraged to enter a talent show, even though she doesn't want to, but the emotions that drive the story are her depression. Would the story still work if Brooke wasn't insecure, sad, lonely, and afraid? Absolutely not. 

Emotions are everything, especially when it comes to short stories. 

4. Relatability

Generally, short stories aren't fantasy or science fiction (although they are sometimes). The reason why is because short stories are at their best when the audience can relate to them. This means a relatable plot and relatable characters. The characters should face everyday issues, or issues that potentially could happen. The interesting element comes from how the characters overcome these roadblocks and their own, personal growth in the process. 

This doesn't mean that your conflict should be about your character tripping on the sidewalk, unless this leads to a much more complex situation, like a brain injury. The type of conflict I'm referring to is being rejected or having a horrible fear of heights but being forced onto a rollercoaster. These seem very simplistic and uninteresting, but you can make them incredible. Think outside the box while still giving your readers someone with whom they can empathize. 

5. Vivid Descriptions

There is a different standard for short stories than novels. Novels often aren't focussed on imagery as much because if they included descriptions all the time it would slow down the story significantly. In a short story, however, it is usually expected that they be of a very high quality. If they aren't, they begin to seem bare overall. I can't explain it; it's just how it is.

So that means that you should try to extend your vocabulary even more, include meaningful and beautiful descriptions, and definitely use figurative language. Figurative language is a must. When I read a short story that doesn't have it, I am not very impressed. It's not hard to throw in a few analogies here and there and it adds a great deal of meaning to your story. I highly suggest you do these things and read the chapters I have dedicated to them if you have not already.

6. 3D Characters

Three-dimensional characters are required in almost every form of literature so it makes sense that they should be in short stories also. The thing is, your character will make or break your short story. 

Boring character = boring story. 

Interesting character = interesting story.

The more dynamic and unique your character is, the better the story. You should have a character that people want to root for, even though there isn't all that much time to get to know them. Plus, having a unique character will give your book that extra thing that makes it different from all the other short stories. 

The other really important thing is that the character has to be dynamic. They must go through a change. People reading want to see a character come to a realization or change their outlook or way of life entirely. It's very satisfying to read, even if the ending is on the sad side. It also contributes to theme. The more a character changes, the more apparent the message is. 

Make sure you check out my separate chapter on it if you haven't. I think it will be of help.

7. Purpose

A common thing I've been talking about in this tutorial is time. Short stories are short. Every word, every character, every single incident must have a purpose. In "Open Cage" I have two main speaking characters. And than there is one other character that says one or two lines and another character that is spoken of but doesn't have a huge speaking role. That's four characters in three chapters that are on the long side. And I would only count three of them as being really important. 

Back to time. The reason I say that everything you write must have a purpose is because you don't have the time to dilly-dally. Get your point across and finish it. Remember when I said to always write your story with a specific reason in mind? Do just that. Only include what needs to be included in order to do what you intended to from the start. 

8. Theme

This might be the most important tip for you to take away. Your short story has to have a theme. Short stories are written because the author has a message in mind that they want to get across. If you are trying to think of a theme for a short story you've written but can't, you had better incorporate one or trash it. It doesn't matter what it is, but it should be something that is important to you. 

Most stories have more than one theme. In "Open Cage" some of the themes are friendship, forgiveness, trust, overcoming fear, taking on obstacles, and accepting who you are. Probably the most obvious one is advocating against bullying. I'm sure there's more that I haven't listed. I had a clear idea that I wanted to create a story based around a few of those themes and the rest came naturally. What's your theme? What are you passionate about?

9. Titles

Short story titles are so important! They have to directly relate to the story or be symbolic or metaphorical. They should be simple but beautiful and people should read the book and be able to relate it to the title, often thinking "huh, that's clever". If you have more than one chapter, the same goes for those. Never leave chapters in a short story as "Chapter 1, Chapter 2, etc". Every single element of a short story should have purpose, just like I told you. Your chapters should be clever. Put lots of time into it. 

I personally love chapter titles that are related to each other or show gradual growth through the process of time. 

Example: Confined, Fractured, Freed

That's for my story "Open Cage". The titles are metaphorical for Brooke's gradual transformation. In the first chapter she is confined, trapped by her own thoughts and insecurities. In the second, the cage that she was imprisoned in has been cracked; there is a fracture. The last chapter symbolically represents her being released from her cage, free at last. See how that works? I spent a very long time coming up with it. 

Another thing I really liked was something I saw in another short story. Each chapter was the title of a different body part. 

Example: Hands, Eyes, Lips, etc

It was a romantic short story and my interpretation of it was that the protagonist loved every part of the person it was about. Plus, each body part was subtly mentioned in the chapter. It was very simple but clever and certainly intentional. 

10. Length

The length of short stories differs. In the end, it's really up to you but I have a few suggestions. If your chapters are on the long side, either have them as a single chapter, or as three. If it's short enough make it one chapter, but if it needs to be in parts make it three. The reason why is because they are pretty numbers. We are used to seeing things in trios. Plus, it allows for clever title combinations. The worst thing you can do it only have two chapters. It gives the reader a sense of dissatisfaction and incompleteness. 

The other alternative is for very short chapters. In this case you could write somewhere around ten chapters. Since they are short and sweet, this is acceptable. Overall though, it really is up to you; pick what feels right and what you believe will be most effective for your story. 

11. The Ending

After theme and good characters, your story ending is probably the next most important thing. It should leave your readers satisfied but also make them emotional, in what way is up to you and how your story goes. I've managed to narrow it down to the five most important things that make the ending of short stories work.

a) Get the message across. Like I've beat to death, your theme is your top priority. Whether it is stated or implied, make sure it is there. It will give your readers a sense that the loose ends have been tied. 

b) Have impact. This is very similar to the last. Make sure the theme was there, but also that all of the emotions you wanted are in check. The more emotional the ending is, the better the impact. Don't make your story something that will be forgotten. This also means that your last sentence should be powerful. It should come back to the theme or the title or even full circle to the beginning of the story. Think outside the box.

c) Make your character change. This point is pretty self-explanatory. I've already explained why your character should be dynamic. 

d) Be melancholy and bitter-sweet. I don't believe in happy endings. I know that sounds sad, but it just isn't realistic. You can have a satisfying, fairly happy ending, but it can't be perfect. It should always be bitter-sweet, leaning towards one side more than the other. You can choose which one that is.

 In "Open Cage" Brooke discovers herself and becomes more comfortable with who she is but she still lives with the scars of the things her peers said and still could not forgive Natalie completely, even after everything. Things didn't end up perfect for her, but they were definitely better than before. Many people have expressed their appreciation for the ending of that story, and it wasn't because they all lived "happily ever after". 

e) Leave some things open-ended. Don't explain everything that happens. People like to interpret things and imagine scenarios in their heads. You know how it's sad when you finish your favourite book? If you leave some things open-ended, it doesn't seem like the book ever ended. Let your readers wonder, let them imagine what happens next. The unknown is often the most enticing. 

So that's what I wanted to say for short stories. Taking into consideration the basics for any story plus this, I think you all have the potential to create something amazing. Thanks for all of your reads and votes. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

101K 4.6K 75
These 2-Sentence Horror Stories Will Send Shivers Down Your Spine Bigger doesn't always mean better, especially when it comes to scary stuff. Sometim...
27.3K 646 33
Hinata Hyuga has never had an easy life. Sure she was born into a wealthy family, but that never.cover up the emotional and physical pain. Her father...
6.7K 530 22
Twelve gods. Seven dangerous trials. One chance at becoming a god. Eleven gods have proven themselves over the centuries and now, one more is left to...
6.8K 175 9
"The Murders in the Rue Morgue" is a short story by Edgar Allan Poe published in Graham's Magazine in 1841. It has been recognized as the first moder...