Your Guide to Writing the Per...

By _thewritersdiary_

As the title states, this is your tutorial, created by me, to writing a story to the very best of your abilit... More

Introduction
Cover Making
Capitalization
End Punctuation
Commas
Quotations
The Difference between Semicolons and Colons
Dashes
The Wonders of Word! . . . And Spell Check
Past, Present, and Future Tense
Point of View
Flow
How to Use a Fragment Sentence Properly
Planning Your Story
Researching Your Story
Finding the Plot
Creating Conflict
Writing Effective Background
Originality
Tone and Mood
Your Style: Your Story
Important Organization Tips and Skills
How to Start Your Story
Prologues
Writing Effective Dialogue
Dialogue Tags
Twists: When and How to Use Them
Developing 3D Characters
Changing Characters for the Worst
Naming Your Characters
Developing Character Relationships
Stereotypes, Archetypes, and Clichés
Writing Strong Antagonists
Bad Boys
Love Interests
Being Realistic
All About Text Talk
Figurative Language
Writing Effective Descriptions
The Difference Between Good and Bad Fanfiction
How to Write Short Stories
Mystery Musts
Writing Historical Fiction Properly
How to Write Science Fiction
How to Write Romance
Effective Endings
Epilogues
Choosing a Title
Everything You Need to Know About Chapters
Fillers
Fighting Writer's Block
Writing Humour in Stories
Writing Foreign Languages
Dealing With Criticism
Offensive Language - Being Aware
The Pressures of Updating
Killing Procrastination
How to Promote Your Story Properly
Creating the Perfect Synopsis
Means of Improvement
Finding a Good Editor/Critic
Plagiarism and Copyright
Is Your Story Worth It?
The Publishing Process
Conclusion

Love Triangles

2.4K 97 32
By _thewritersdiary_

Hey there! For this next chapter I'm going to be talking about how to write good love triangles. Now, many of you are probably rolling your eyes at me right now. Love triangles have managed to receive a less than perfect reputation in the past. But I don't think these people are sick of love triangles; I think they're sick of bad love triangles.

Why do people like love triangles? Because they are full of conflict and tension. Readers eat that up. Unfortunately, love triangles can be done very, very wrong. The other thing is that no matter what you do, there will always be a group of people who will be very upset and angry because the protagonist didn't end up with who they wanted them to. You can't avoid this so consider that when you are writing a love triangle. Are you able to take the backlash?

If so, please read my following tips.

1. Drag it Out

This goes off of what I just said. Do not, under any circumstances, reveal who the character will end up with until the end of the story, and if it's a series then not until the last book. Why? Because some people get so pissed off by the product of love triangles that they just don't read anymore. It's sad, but true. Extreme fangirls get so engulfed in the romantic aspect of your story that they barely have a care for whatever else happens in the story. If you dash their wishes, they'll stop reading, plain and simple. To these types of people, if the protagonist doesn't end up with the "right" person it isn't worth reading. So don't reveal who ends up with who until the end. 

The next part of dragging it out is that this provides more room for conflict, more time for character development, and whole lot more of a build-up until your readers think they'll explode from uncertainty and the intensity of the story. That, my friends, is exactly what you want. 

2. Conflict

Every plot device should provide some sort of conflict. Let's all admit it: if love triangles did not have conflict, they would be boring. This doesn't mean there needs to be conflict between the two people vying for the third party in the love triangle's love but another type of conflict.

The first type of conflict is the internal struggle coming from your protagonist. For the sake of this, lets pretend that the protagonist is the one that everyone wants to be with. Her struggle is knowing who she (say they're a she) wants to be with, but this is about more than who she likes more; it is also about what they represent. You see, each person in the triangle should represent a different path in life and different beliefs. Choosing to be with one isn't just about who makes her happy, but who she wants to be

The second kind of conflict is between characters. The protagonist should have her own issues with both of the other people in the triangle, just like any romance. The only difference is that there are two people causing conflict instead of just one.

3. Unpredictable

The ending should not be predictable. So often in love triangles it is blatantly obvious who they are going to choose. I want to see none of that in your writing! Constantly surprise your readers; provide plot twists when acceptable. Don't let them think they know how the story will end. It should remain a mystery. Shippers should be concerned that their ship won't survive, but they won't know for sure. 

4. Equally Good Choices

Both of the men (just for the sake of examples) who are in love with the protagonist should be equally as well-thought out and developed as characters. Both need rich backstories and lots and lots of layers. Design them separately and pretend that they are not part of a love triangle and are simply a lover. How would they look? This way, both of them will be just as loveable as the other.

This means that both need flaws, an internal struggle, and their own opinions. They both need distinct personalities and a backstory that will awe your readers. Of course, readers will always like on more than the other, but it should just come down to preference, not the fact that one is hotter than the other or one is less-developed. 

And the people in a love triangle should never be there because they are studs. The character should never think to themself, "Hm . . . Who's hotter? I don't know who to choose. . . ." If you do this I'm going to have to disown you as a reader. Both the reader and the protagonist should love and appreciate the characters because of their quirks, flaws, and personality, not because they have a six pack and an amazing jaw-line. 

Having two good choices instead of one great one and a sucky one will help maintain your triangle's unpredictability. 

5. Calm Down the Competition

Hey, remember Twilight? You know how much it's made fun of? Yeah. There's a reason.

First of all, it consists of two sexy hunks constantly fighting over Bella (although I can't imagine why). Key word: fighting. Although a battle for love can be exciting, it gets old fast. Plus, it's actually disconcerting to think about guys who believe they have some sort of claim over a girl, like she's just a trophy. Here's my message to you: you can have a good love triangle without any competition! The conflict should come from the protagonist and her internal struggles or interactions with her potential lovers, not their beef with each other. 

It just gets plain annoying when they fight over her, like it will make any difference. Who the protagonist ends up with should be her choice and there's nothing either of the others can do about that.

6. Meaning

There should be meaning behind the protagonists last decision. I basically said this already, but it should be about more than just who she feels most attracted to. Are they healthy for her? Do they have the same values, motives? Are they at least similar? The point I want to get at is will one choice lead her astray while they other will move the plot forward? The answer could be that both can move the plot forward, in different ways. However, this is not always the case.

7. Don't Forget Your Story

Love triangles are usually a sub-plot, unless you are writing a romance novel. If it is a sub-plot don't make the triangle the centre of your story. It shouldn't eat up all of the action and other good stuff that you wrote the story for in the first place. Even in a romance, you should still focus on the other aspects of the story, like the theme or the protagonist's relationship with her other friends and family. 

The thing is, it's easy to put all of your time and effort into the romance because it's so juicy and gives people butterflies. You need to know how to pull yourself away from that for most of the time and give the main conflict time in the spotlight. Or, you can subtly weave the romance into the main plot so that it isn't stealing the attention but it is still, nevertheless, there. 

8. Differences

I'm fairly certain I already brought this up, but the two male (in this case) lovers your protagonist is considering should be vastly different from each other. To choose one would be choosing who your main character wants to be, what path she would have to follow. It will also make the decision that much harder because she can't compare one to the other. One might be better in one way but worse in another. Her battle will be discovering her own values and what qualities are the most important to her. 

9. Keep a Strong Protagonist

The thing I hate most is when the protagonist in a love triangle gets so overwhelmed with her conflicting emotions and pressure from each side that she turns into a shrivelling mess that has to depend on everyone else to come and save her. Honestly, this makes me want to kill myself. Her not knowing who she loves more should not consume her every waking thought; she has a life outside of her romantic life. 

Crying is okay once in a while; in fact, it is a very powerful thing, but when the protagonist is crying all the time I just want to strangle her. How pathetic is she? Make a goddamn choice! I know it's not that simple but a fed-up reader isn't going to be thinking that rationally. Weepy characters are annoying. At least let your protagonist maintain a little dignity.

10. How to Choose

Now there comes a time in your story where you need to decide: is it going to be option number one or option number two? Most times this is figured out from the beginning but you are going to have to make a decision at some point. 

What it is comes down to is this. Obviously the protagonist cares about both of her options very deeply and is conflicted with her emotions about who to choose. She likes both of them so that isn't even a factor. If she knew which one she liked more, she wouldn't be caught in this mess in the first place. So she wants both of them. Okay. But what one does she need? Could she mentally and physically go on without them romantically being in her life? 

That's the most important part. Which person completes her, represents her values and the influence she needs in her life? Which person needs her more? Will this person move the plot forward, or hold it in place? That's up to you to decide.

That's all I have to say about love triangles. I nailed what I believe to be the most important things to consider but, again, this isn't the formula to all of your troubles. If you have any questions, just ask! Also, I'm interested to hear your opinions on love triangles. It's a very controversial topic so it's always cool to see what other people think.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.8K 799 89
Writing guidelines I found on different sites compiled by me.
6.7K 247 54
[OPEN FOR SUBMISSIONS] Live Your Myths is a collection of myths and legends submitted by our very own Wattpad Community. Share your local myths and l...
38.6K 1K 5
Temari is moving to the Leaf Village... Hinata is training Hanabi like an heiress of the clan... Sakura is head of the hospital... Sasuke was good ag...
104K 192 11
first date မှာ First time ပါသွားတယ်