The Mark of a Fallen Angel

By Misguided

Alexis Gardiner has been through the normal ups and downs of a seventeen year old girl, albeit a few pluses a... More

1: New Beginnings...
2: Patterns and Scars
3: Another Side Of Him
4: Tell Me The Truth
5: Memory
6: Anger
7: Confrontation
8: Just Friends...?
9: Followed
10: Visitor
11: The New Guy
12: Manipulation
13: Barely Coping
14: Feather
15: Familiar Stranger P1
16: Familiar Stranger P2
17: Maryanne Thomas
18: Power
19: Leo
20: Past, Present, and No Future
21: Blonde
22:Cousin Theo
23: The Book of Enoch
24: Family History
25: The Truth.
26: Wings
27: Calling
28: Check List
29: Unaware Goodbye
30 - Part I: Pain
30 - Part II: Who I Am
31: Stories
32: Remembered
33: Training
34: Genevieve
35: Fire and Ice
36: School
37: Attack Me... If You Can
38: Cam
39: Strength
40: Tutored
41 - Part I : Want
41 - Part II - Morning After
42: The Old Ones
43: I Tried
44: Funeral
45: Mysteries and All Other Things
46: Loop hole
47: Christmas
48: Like Old Times
49: 5/6 Days Remaining - 26th December
50: Invincible
51: 4/5 Days Remaining - Death and Anger
53: 2/3 Days Remaining - Black Heart
54: 23 Hours Remaining - Step 5
55: Last Hours
56: The Decision
57: One Last Night
Epilogue.

52: 3/4 Days Remaining - The Other Side

74.7K 1.4K 93
By Misguided

_______________________________________________

"And they say, 
She's in the Class A Team;
Stuck in her daydream 
Been this way since 18, 
But lately
Her face seems 
Slowly sinking, wasting
Crumbling like pastries 
And they scream 
The worst things in life come free to us..."

I turned my head to Jay and smiled. "What are you singing?"

"This song called The A Team by an English singer, Ed Sheeran." He said.

Even when he was sick, his voice still sounded great. The thoughts of our old music class came to my mind. I didn't think those memories were still there but it was all hidden. I started to wonder if all of my memories were like that.

He hummed. 
"Cos we're just under the upper hand 
And go mad for a couple of grams 
And she don't want to go outside tonight 
And in a pipe she flies to the Motherland 
Or sells love to another man 
It's too cold outside 
For angels to fly 
Angels to fly..."

He suddenly chuckled. "It's funny."

"What is?" I asked as I stood up and stretched my legs. They should be here soon. I could feel them.

"How the end of that song has some truth to it. Is it cold for you guys to fly?" He smiled up at me innocently.

I grinned back at him. "I've never flown myself, Jay. But when I get my wings I'll tell you." I winked.

He brought his knees up to his chest and smiled. "Okay." He said. "You know, Alex you aren't that much different to your human self."

I sighed. "Of course I am. I'm a completely different person to who I was before--"

"I disagree," He interrupted, "You make it sound like you've evolved into a whole different human or being. But you're the same. I'm guessing in your past lives you must have been the same, it's amazing to think of it like that though."

I smiled light heartedly at him. It makes me happy that he still has a positive attitude. I think Jay is the thing keeping me from trying to do something stupid. There are a lot of things I could do to try and get out of this but I didn't want to risk getting him hurt or killed.
Footsteps sounded down the steps down the tunnel. I waited for them to emerge from around the corner.

But it was only Eli that came out.
He nodded at Jay and then paid all of his attention to me. "There is a lake not far from here."

"And?" I snapped.

"If you'd like to... refresh yourself then you have twenty minutes. I will take Jayden after Grigori collects you."

Eli's hold on me disappeared and I ran out of the cave. I made it to the lake and waterfall in seconds and sighed. The freedom was wonderful. The feeling of not having someone constantly stopping me from letting my mind free was fantastic.

I sighed and watched the waterfall. It was pretty high. The water fell down the rocks and smashed against the boulders that were piled up in river. Apart from the waterfall, the water was undisturbed. There was still ice covering the sides of the lake and I knew it was going to me freezing.

I unbuttoned my black shirt and shrugged it off. I hung it on the branch of a tree and put my hand inside the freezing cold water. I shut my eyes and concentrated all of my heat into the lake. I put everything into it and soon I heard bubbling. I looked at it and smiled at the steam coming from it. I stripped off my pants and vest but kept my underwear on. I slipped into water and welcomed the feeling.

I ducked right under and let the hot water rush over my neck, face and hair. The water was loosening my muscles quickly and I felt better already.

I swam back up to the surface and made my way over to the boulders under the waterfall. I stood underneath the water as it pelted against my skin like bullets. I brought my hand up to my neck and touched the ring Gabriel had got me for Christmas. I'd almost forgotten I had this on. It was the only reminder of Gabriel apart from the memories.

My body relaxed quickly along with my mind and soon enough I jumped back into the cooling water and climbed onto the surface. The fire in my veins warmed my skin quickly making me dry off faster including my underwear. I dressed quickly and started walking slowly back to the cave.

But then a loud screeching noise filled my head and I groaned.

He was calling me again.

He was trying all night too. Even Tristan, Maryanne, Liz and Joe tried calling. It was starting to make my head hurt.

I looked down at the ground and shut my eyes. It hurt so badly. Was it supposed to hurt this much?

Something soft pushed my hand.

I opened my eyes and looked down. The wolf whined under my hand and I stroked its soft white fur. "Is it supposed to hurt this much, girl?"

Her bright blue eyes stared into mine and she barked.

"I'll take that as a yes."

There was a new sound in my head. Someone was calling me but I hadn't felt this one before. Someone else that hasn't ever tried to call me... But I recognized it. This person has called me in the past.

The Guardian could feel the call too because her ears perked up and she looked around.

"Does he know where I am?" I asked the wolf. I know I must look like an absolute nut right now speaking to a wolf but judging by the amount of energy I could feel off her she was very, very smart. If she could speak, I'm sure she would be pouring out with an amount of words I wouldn't be able to understand.

Her head whipped side to side as if to say no and then she whined.

If Elijah wasn't so strong and had a cover over this area, Cameron would be able to find me. I wonder if I could find them with my mind. I know I was stronger. This morning I woke up and just knew it. And now that Eli had taken off his hold on me I could finally feel it.

I looked down at the wolf and bent down to my knees. "I want to test something on you, girl."
I put my hands on either side of its head and shut my eyes. This wolf wasn't always a wolf. I knew that much. I searched her mind and found something. This angel's hair was white, she was beautiful. She had the body of a twenty-two year old and her name was...

"Bonnie?" I said.

She licked my cheek and I smiled. "If I can get that from a wolf then I can try and touch their minds."

She whimpered and pushed her nose on my cheek. "I'll try not to get caught, but it'll be hard."

I stood up and shut out everything around me. I touched my hand to the ring on my neck and concentrated on Gabriel. It was like I was running through the forest but it was only my mind moving. It was hard but I was getting closer to the house. It was starting to pain me as I got closer and closer.

I was starting to slow as I got to the front yard...

I just needed to get through this door...

I could hear their voices.

"Have you tried?" A woman voice snapped. "Try again!" It was Maryanne. Their voices were like distant and echoed.

"How many damn times have you all tried and you want me to carry on? You'd risk hurting her than actually going out to find her? Selfish."

That was Cameron...

Why was he in the house? Why was he there? Were they on speaking terms?
I just needed to see them to put my mind at ease. I just needed to see Gabriel's face...

But as I got to the door my mind was immediately pulled back like a slingshot.

I gasped as my mind returned to my body. Bonnie was barking and howling like mad at the man in front of me.

Eli tutted and then grabbed my neck with one hand. He lifted me and the air I was trying to inhale stopped in my throat completely. 

"You never learn do you?"

I used what little part of me that was sane, burn him. He pulled his hand away and I dropped to the ground. But then he grabbed me by my shirt and dragged me off the ground. "What a stupid thing to do. You're lucky I stopped you from contacting them otherwise we would have had some problems."

I pushed his hands off me and sighed out as my power drained from my body. He chuckled and picked me up by the neck again. I was defenseless now. I couldn't burn him and I barely had my strength.

"Alexis, sweetie we still have so much to do." He squeezed.

A strangled cough escaped my lips and I brought my hand up to his hand to try and tug his hands away. He let go again but this time I landed on my feet. "Asshole," I mumbled.

"I heard that. And do I have to escort you to the lake next time?"

"No," I said reluctantly. "It won't happen again."

He patted my head but I slapped his hand away. "Good. I'll take your word for that. Now let's get started. We won't be needing Jayden here or Grigori." He looked down at Bonnie. "And we certainly won't need your pet. Get rid of her."

She growled at him and ran off. I watched her run deeper into the forest and brought my attention back to Eli. "What am I doing?" I demanded.

"Easy." He said with a smile. "Open yourself and let that part of you take over."

"No." I said immediately.

"It's an easy task, Alex. Do it now. Want me to teach you something? You can give yourself over to that side without burning things."

I froze. That wasn't something I wanted to know...

"Do it..." He whispered. "What angers you?"

"You do." I said through gritted teeth.

"Then think about me. Think about all of the things I'll do or did to you."

I couldn't help but let the devilish thoughts overwhelm me. I wanted to tear Eli apart. I wanted to kill him. I wanted to kill Grigori. I wanted to rip the guy's head off then stick it up Elijah's ass.

I was breathing heavily and that red haze was filling my vision. I clenched my hands into fists.

I wanted Elijah to pay for everything he did. I want him to suffer like Jay was right now. I wanted to prove to him that I can hold down my own not be tempted into a dark fate.

But as I gave myself over to that haze I could feel my defenses slowly crumble and the feeling of being vulnerable course through me...

Wait a minute...
What did I want to do again...?

"Hey Lonny,"

My head snapped toward the man in front of me and I smiled. My mind had suddenly gone blank of all thoughts. My veins were burning, my body was shaking and my back was crunching and cracking... But the pain excited me. It made me want more...

The man, Eli, pointed at a small bush. "Burn it."

I did exactly as he said and threw a small ball of fire at it. I smiled at the growing flame and swam in the warm feeling.

I shuddered slightly and turned back to him. Everything was red... but it was wonderful. I felt so powerful... so... so strong!

I followed his finger as he pointed to a larger tree. "Burn it."

"With pleasure," I said. It sounded nothing like me... but I welcomed it.

I threw a wave of fire at the tree and laughed. It was an evil sound and I liked it.

Eli smiled at me and turned his back on me to walk. I followed obediently. I was seeing everything with new eyes. Everything was more vivid. More open. I felt like I'd just opened my eyes for the first time.

We stopped on a cliff and he looked over. I looked with him and saw a large wooded area.

I smiled down at it and lit my hands with flames readying myself with what he was about to ask me to do. Just three words, Eli. Say them.

"Burn it all." He finally said.

I gave myself over to the flame and watched as the fire spread through the wood as if it were nothing. I smiled and increased the amount travelling. I wanted it to move faster.
I rolled my shoulders and laughed. A beautiful sight. The yellow and red of the flames were...

Were...

What am I doing?

Get a hold of yourself, damn it!!

Stop this!!

I blinked and my knees wobbled. The red haze was disappearing fast and my body fell to my hands and knees. I looked up and gasped. The wood looked like the size of a football field on fire. I had to work hard to control it and get it to disappear but what was the use?
When the last of the flames disappeared, it was a waste land.

What have I done?

I stood up slowly with a grunt as the silent tears slid down my cheeks.

"Step two is complete." He said.

I glanced at him and back at the empty silent wood below.

There was black smoke covering the sky and swirling around us. Ash hit my face as the cold wind thrashed the broken trees to the ground.

I coughed a little and said, "Why?"

"This stage has opened your eyes to the other side. The fun side, should I say. Stage four will be midnight tomorrow night. Stage five will be on your last day. That will be the decider."

He started walking away but I didn't follow. My body slumped as an enormous amount of power escaped from my body.

I could hear the distant sirens over in the very far side of the wood. I didn't know how long I was standing here for but the sky was starting to dim slightly. There was a helicopter above spraying water onto the smoking parts of the forest. I had to move into the trees so it wouldn't see me.

I wiped my face and looked down at my shaking hand to see the black. I took one last look at the scene before me and started walking to the lake. I rinsed my face of with the cool water and sighed out heavily.

This wasn't going the way I was hoping.

The fact that I was too vulnerable right now didn't help. It was getting harder to concentrate on what was right from wrong in the world.

I stood up from the side of the lake. Is the side Eli showed me better than restrained side I was taught?

One large hand landed on my shoulder and then something sharp was at my back. I didn't move or shy away. I couldn't physically bring myself to fight...

"Keep still." Grigori said. He moved the knife away and then I heard the ripping sounds. He did it twice and said, "Just for later on."

I brought my hand to my back and felt the two large slices in my shirt and vest.

His hand hovered on my back and led me back to the cave. I couldn't care any less if he was touching me.

Grigori stopped me as we were walking down the tunnel and came back with a large bag of potato chips and two bottles of water.

He handed me the bottle and started walking beside me through the long tunnel.

"Do you forgive me?" He asked me.

"No." I said.

"You will."

"No I won't. Stop talking to me."

He chuckled and it bounced off the walls. "You will." He said again.

I walked into the cave and sat down on the mattress beside Jayden's sleeping body. Grigori attached the chain to my leg and winked before walking out.

I finished my water bottle in less than a minute due to dehydration.

I had a few chips and rested my head against the wall. I felt better than before... And even though Elijah had taken away my power there was something still dwindling there.

It was a small spark but was it enough...?

I felt that same sting in the back of my mind from when Cameron was calling me...

I shut my eyes and let my mind travel to him. My mind traveled faster than before... Maybe because he was closer...? But no, he wasn't. He was in the forest outside of the house... I watched him as he stared into the sky with sad eyes and mumbled something. It was like I was standing in front of him but I was completely invisible.

I just needed to touch his mind... I just needed to assure him I was okay before Eli can feel my energy.

I tried to listen to what he was saying as the mumbles continued...

"...Is she safe? I just need... something, anything, to tell me that she's alive and well."

Something inside of me stirred and I lifted my hand to brush it against his cheek. I could feel his warmth... I could feel his skin.

His eyes closed and it was like his cheek was rested against my hand.

"Cameron?" I whispered. Speaking was difficult. Just touching him was difficult. I had to put my whole being into this and I was in physical pain from doing it. I knew I couldn't stay for long if I valued the will of living and breathing.

His eyes suddenly popped open but he couldn't see me. I was only here by mind.

"Alexis? You know how to---"

"Please listen, because this is hurting me." I whispered. "Please just tell everyone I am fine but I'm not safe. I can't tell you my location. My Decision is New Years Eve. I'm not sure what time or when but I'm sure you'll find out soon. I'm getting stronger every day and this Demon is using it to his advantage. He's teaching me new things I've never seen or learnt before."

"Hold your own, Alex. You can do this." He stared in front of him but he wasn't actually seeing. "Don't let that side of you take over."

I was silent a moment and he sighed. "You've done it haven't you. You've felt what its like."

I didn't want to tell him how new it felt or how strong I felt when ever I was even close to opening the door to that side. "Alex, listen to me. You control it, okay? You control it not him."

"I know I do." I said. "I have to go. Please tell everyone I'm alive... And... Tell Gabriel... That I'm sorry."

Cameron nodded and I brushed my thumb against his cheek one last time. I sighed out as my mind snapped back into my body.

I inhaled long and hard and put my head between my legs to calm my breathing. I touched my hand to my nose and wiped away the small drops of blood. I must have strained my head too much.

The thought had occurred to me that he probably had heard or seen the fire. I could have told him I was near her but something stopped me. Was it that bottled side? I didn't know and I couldn't define whether it was or not.

For a while I watched the entrance to the cave worrying whether or not Eli knew what had just happened but after what assumed was ten or fifteen minutes I relaxed and shut my eyes not bothering to eat any of the chips.

Tomorrow was a dead day.

So I will be left to my thoughts. I glanced at Jay. In a way I was happy I wasn't by myself. I would be mad by now.

My last thoughts before I went to sleep were Gabriel and Cameron. The thought of them actually working together brought a smile to my face. I think... the last time I saw them actually working together was probably the massacre back in 1989. The thought of them actually talking and not trying to get at each other's throats made me smile.

Their faces stayed in my mind as I drifted of into unconsciousness.  

__________________________________________

(edited 2023)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1 1 1
This is a story of a normal seventeen-year-old girl forced into a war between good and evil. At seven they separate her from her twin brother by a st...
14.5K 574 22
*COMPLETE* "I want to be someone to you." Isabella has only ever wanted one thing since she was a little girl. Her best friend, Phineas Flynn. But wh...
746 74 35
Melody has a head full of dreams and a heart full of wishes. But no matter how hard she tries none of those dreams and wishes ever seem to come true...