Raising Ryann (Bad Boy Reform...

By alyssaraetaylor

Luke Ryann is the stereotypical fighter- 100 percent alpha male. The kind of guy a girl should avoid at all c... More

Raising Ryann (Bad Boy Reformed 1) PROLOGUE Six Years Earlier
Chapter 1 Luke's Last Fight In The Cage (Luke's POV)
Chapter 2 The Tattooed Stranger (Reese's POV)
Chapter 4 One Sexy Alpha Male Coming Right Up (Reese POV)
Chapter 5 The Bad Boy Gets Protective (Reese's POV)
Chapter 6 Alpha Males Aren't My Type (Reese's POV)
Chapter 7 Wrestling With The Bad Boy (Reese's POV)

Chapter 3 The Faulty Pen and the Bad Boy (Reese's POV)

87.7K 1.2K 48
By alyssaraetaylor

Chapter 3 Reese

 She's got to be here somewhere. I search the circular room relieved I don't have to suffer through this alone. There's a sudden buzzing against my hip as my phone frantically vibrates inside my purse. I dig around, frustrated, finally finding it in the last pocket.  Struggling to get a good grip, it tumbles out of my hand, heading straight toward the floor. "Shoot!" I yell, trying to catch it before the hard surface destroys it. A large hand swoops down to soften the landing.

"Here kid," I hear a charming voice connected to the hand say.

"Thanks," I offer, before looking up to give him a smile. Even though I don't like the way he emphasized the word, kid. My eyes fall upon his black chucks then lift to his stylish denim jeans and plain white t-shirt that I notice is fitted perfectly over a pair of broad shoulders and a nicely defined chest. Attached to that chest are two tatted up, muscular arms. I realize I am admiring what I am looking at and may soon forgive him for his earlier comment. As I get to his five o'clock-shadowed jaw line and full lips, it dawns on me that I am studying him in slow motion. Please God I hope I haven't been here too long. As soon as I get to his eyes my breath catches in my throat, and I'm no longer breathing.

I didn't get a good look at the guy applying for my job last night. I only saw him from a distance. I could tell he was attractive, tall, and built. There is something about his eyes, his messy brown hair, and the way he is looking at me that makes me certain that this is the same guy, and if I am right, then he knows exactly who I am. My heart is pounding fast. I don't know if it's because I am nervous or pissed off.

"How's your eye?" he says in a soft, sincere voice.

Blinking out of my shock, I reach up to touch my face. "Oh ... umm ... it's fine. I'm fine," I stutter.

"You sure? She got you pretty good. Did you ice it?"Why is he looking at me like that?

I nod as his eyes look down at my phone that happens to be vibrating in my hand. Following his gaze, I read the text.

CLOSE YOUR MOUTH! YOU'RE DROOLING! LOL! WHO IS THAT? I'M DIRECTLY ACROSS FROM YOU.

I snap my head up to find Gia smirking at me, like I had some secret she couldn't wait to hear. Shoving my phone in my purse, I quickly walk across the room and take the spot next to her.

Gia's light brown, curly hair spills just past her shoulders, her big blue eyes usually melt a man's heart within seconds, not to mention her petite little frame. She's sweet, yet confident, and like my mom, is always pushing me to date. I know what she is up to. I can read her thoughts before she even speaks, which seems to be a common thing in our relationship.

"Who the heck is that?" she mumbles, raising her eyebrows, looking down at her desk. I can tell she's trying to keep him from reading her lips.

Trying not to be obvious, I slowly glance his way. Unfortunately, it doesn't work since he is staring directly at me. He isn't smiling or frowning. He looks so ... worried ... if that makes any sense. Why in the world is he still looking at me like that?

Not wanting him to read my lips, I glance at Gia from the side with my head facing down and quietly explain the gym incident. "He is the reason for this!" I hiss, pointing directly at my black eye.

She chuckles. "Come on, it's not his fault he's good looking."

I roll my eyes. "That is not why I got distracted. It's the way he was watching me. I think he might be taking my job, and he feels bad about it or something."

 Gia shakes her head. "You're not going to lose your job. They love you. I'm sure there's another reason he's got his eyes on you." She gives me a little kick in the shin. "Maybe he thinks you're hot?"

 I rub my leg and look her directly in the eyes this time, growling. "I know that look Gia, and this definitely is not The Look."

"Don't growl at me," she says, rolling her eyes. "All I'm saying is, he keeps staring at you, and it's definitely not a stare that says, 'Hey baby, I'm taking your job, and I feel real bad about it.'"

"Maybe he's looking at you."

She twirls her already curly hair around her finger. "Nope. Definitely looking at you."

"Regardless of who he's looking at, it doesn't matter. I don't like him."

She presses her glossy lips into a tight line and glares at me—a look I've seen many times before. "Stop looking for flaws in every single man you meet. You're never going to find Mr. Perfect. Mr. Perfect doesn't exist."

"You don't need to convince me." She just doesn't get it. I'm not interested in dating. Period. "I never said I was looking."

"You know you're terrible, right?"

The conversation ends when Professor Hornsby begins role call.

"Reese Johnson."

"Here," I say quickly, meeting the curious eyes of the handsome male across the way. "If he wants a staring contest I'll give him a staring contest," I mutter. "I do not intimidate easily." Placing the tip of my pen in my mouth I match his stare and hear Gia giggle under her breath beside me. I assume he's onto my game when a slow crooked smile spreads across his lips. Oh, he's good ... He's real good. I raise my eyebrows, throwing back my wickedest grin before my cheeks redden and betray me. What's so funny, you big cocky jerk? I'm angry and somewhat affected by the confidence radiating off his face. He leans back in his chair, now grinning from ear to ear, his hand moves in circles around his mouth. Is he asking if I enjoy his smile? What's that supposed to mean?  

 Gia taps my arm with her pen. "Does that mean he wants a kiss?"  

"I have no idea," I mumble back, desperate to win our contest.

"Oh my gosh!" Gia squeals, yanking on my arm.

"Not right now. I can't let him win this."

"Yes, right now! Reese, look at me!" She jerks me harder, trying to get my attention, but I shake my head no, refusing to look away from his annoying, confident face.

"Here," comes out of his mouth after the professor calls out a name. I'm too focused on our contest to hear what it is.

"Reese, look at me! You have ... look at me!"

"What the heck, Gia!" I say, finally snapping my head in her direction. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Go to the bathroom now!"

"What?" I ask, confused by the horrified look on her face.

"There is ink all over your mouth," she says, trying her best to keep from laughing.

"No," I whisper back, barely able to catch my breath. I look down at my pen and gasp. There is ink all over my fingers. Then it dawns on me. He was trying to tell me. He was laughing at me. Looking back over at Gia, I cover my face. "You have got to be kidding me," I mumble. "Is it bad?"

"Terrible," she says, biting back another laugh. Could I really blame her? I probably look like a complete idiot. "Don't hate me for laughing," she snorts. "I'm really trying not to."

I won't even look his direction. I can't. "I've got to get out of here."

"Go home. I'll take notes." I nod my head, still covering my mouth, and quickly bolt out of the classroom without any intention of returning for the rest of the day.

                                                            ***

"What did you say?" I ask Gia over the phone.

"His name, Luke Ryann? What? You didn't hear it during your staring contest?" She giggles.

"Ugh, I'm mortified."

"Bet you guys are going to hook up. Best friends know these kind of things."

I open my mouth, then shut it, then open it again. "I said I'm not interested. Would you stop trying to hook me up?"

"Whatever you say."

Tapping my finger to my now sensitive lips, I tell her, "I need to talk to Pam, and find out what's going on. If he's not taking my job then maybe I'll let him live."

"That's so kind of you," she teases.

"Enough about Luke. Are you still coming over? We need to study."

"Yep. I'm on my way."

Biting my nails, I look over at Gia and can tell she's just as confused as I am. "So you don't remember what he said about the differences?"

 She tilts her head to the side. "Differences?"

"You know. Between a Z-score and a T-score?"

Scrunching her eyebrows together, she taps her pen along her notebook. "I thought I wrote it down, but my notes are a little confusing." I glance at the clock resting on my end table, noticing I've got forty-five minutes to get ready. "Do you have plans tonight?" she asks, her voice sounding a little disappointed.

"I work at Chili's at two o'clock."

She gets up off the floor and picks up her books. "That sucks. I wish you didn't have to work so much."

 I grab a throw pillow from the couch and plop it into my lap. "It's fine. I'm gonna cut back my hours soon, maybe just keep the job at the gym."

Gia comes from a long line of money. Her parents have always paid for everything she wants and needs. Even though she knows I come from the opposite side of the tracks, she has a hard time watching me work as much as I do. To me, it's not a big deal. To her, well ... she was raised to believe money grows on trees.  

"You know I can always help." I shake my head in response. She always offers me money, her parents' money,and there is no way I would ever feel comfortable accepting it.

"Thanks Gia, but I'm not going to take your daddy's money."

She throws her hands on her hips in her best attempt to give me attitude. "If my daddy gives me money, it then becomes my money. Therefore, you wouldn't be taking my daddy's money; you'd be taking mine."

"If you say so." I roll my eyes as she swats me on the butt.

 "Fine, work your little heart out, but we need a girls' night out. At least let me pay for that."

"You're right. We definitely do, but I can pay for myself."

She growls and gives me a tight hug. "You're the most stubborn person I know."

"I love you," I say in a singsong voice.

"Have a good shift," she sings back before shutting the door behind her.

I take a quick shower, attempt to cover up my black eye, and scarf down a turkey sandwich before checking on my mom.

"Hey it's me, getting ready for work, and just thought I'd check in. Call me if you need anything ... money or whatever. I have my cell. Love you, bye."

After brushing my teeth, I take a swig of mouthwash and head out the front door, toward my little white Civic.

"Hey Reese." I see the cute little blonde boy that lives across the way heading toward me.

"Hey Johnny." I smile, reaching out to pat him on the top of his head.

Another little boy I don't recognize runs over from the same apartment. "Hi," he says, smiling. He turns to Johnny, quietly mumbling something, and I notice he's missing a front tooth.

"Told you," Johnny says to the boy, as they smile and snicker together.

I look at him, confused. "Told him what?"

Johnny blushes. "That you're hot."

I gasp. "Johnny! You're too young to be talking like that."

He said you smell good, too," the other boy says, smiling wide and flashing his missing tooth.

"He did, huh?" I grin. "What's your name, kiddo?"

"Caleb."

"Well hello, Caleb. I'm Reese," I say, leaning over to shake his hand. He giggles while we shake, and I watch Johnny's face turn beet red. "Listen boys, I need to go to work, but it's been fun talking to you."

"It sure has," Johnny says back, and Caleb laughs with him.

"Okay funny guy," I say to Johnny. "How old are you again?"

Both boys say, "Eight," at the same time.

"Wow. That's really getting up there." They nod their heads in agreement.

"You know what?"

"What?" Caleb asks.

 I place my hands on my hips. "You two are good looking boys. I bet your pick up lines will work really well on a pretty little girl your own age."

They both look at each other like they're thinking about it. "You do?" Johnny finally asks.

"Yeah. You should try it."

Johnny looks at Caleb and shrugs his shoulders. "Okay."

"Caleb loves Melody," Johnny blurts out, and now its Caleb's face that turns red. I think about the brunette little girl I saw Johnny running around with the other day.

"Is that the girl I saw you playing with the other day? The one with the long brown hair, wearing that pretty sundress?"

"Probably," Johnny mumbles. "But Caleb is the one that loves her. Not me."

Caleb looks mortified, and I completely know the feeling. So I place a hand on his shoulder and whisper, "Don't be embarrassed. I won't tell." I give him a wink. "You should try and use your swagger on her. I bet she likes you, too."

He smiles at me before saying, "Okay, I'll do it." The look of determination on his face is adorable.

"Let me know how it goes when you do."

"I will," he says seriously, and suddenly I feel like a matchmaker.

 "See you later boys," I say, waving.

Boys will be boys.

 Don't forget to vote! Thank you for reading!:)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

689K 23.4K 36
I hate everything about MMA bad boy Jase Rawlins, but the biggest promotion of my life depends on me convincing the world he's reformed. After brea...
3M 114K 38
"She is looking over my shoulder and bites the corner of her lower lip in thought. I want that fucking lip. I want to own it, bite it, lick it. It's...
1.1M 31.7K 34
Emma also known as "panther" is the best street fighter in her state and it doesn't help having a abusive dad. But she is also her schools biggest ne...