choices ✨ || 5sos • lrh [COMP...

By eleni_cherie

❝In the end, our choices make us.❞ In which a girl, trying to find a place she belongs to through tv shows an... More

blurb
new girl
0.1 san francisco
0.2 adelaide
0.3 london
0.4 vancouver
0.5 los angeles ;; venice
0.6 new york
0.7 goodbyes
0.8 barcelona
0.9 paris
1.0 drunk
1.1 mexico city
1.2 new orleans
1.3 decisions
1.4 ice cream talks
1.5 ferris wheel
1.6 about stars and fairies
1.7 best friends
1.8 pizza love
1.9 airports
2.0 strangers minds
2.1 secrets
2.2 no dates (special michael bonus chapter)
2.3 funny business
2.4 halloween
2.5 birthday talk
happy endings
final words

2.6 supernova

164 20 145
By eleni_cherie

»»» song: claire - friendly fire

19th December

New York

We reached the final chapter of our story. Strangers became friends. Friends became lovers. And somewhere in between some interesting questions were raised.

Did it matter what others think of you? Was it a good idea if friends fell in love with each other? Was it wise ignoring your problems or something bothering you? And did someone's past really define them as a person?
-Obviously the list continues, but I'm too lazy to.

I really hope this story didn't only entertain you, but also helped you understand that there was more to friendships and romantic relationships than just having a fun time.
Life was neither about overly funny moments nor about over-dramatic ones. It was what it was.
Sometimes happy, sometimes sad. But at the end, everything fell back to place. And either you liked it or not, somehow everything happened for a reason.
And coming back to the main 'topic' of this book: it was the choices we made -whether small or big ones- that made us who we were.

And like a supernova, the large explosion taking place at the end of a star's life cycle, this story is also coming to an end.
Enjoy.

»»»

Mikey(1:23 am): guess what
Nay (1:25 am): hello to you too and what?
Mikey (1:26 am): IM FLYING HOME SOON
Nay (1:27 am): you mean here?
Nay (1:27 am): australia?
Mikey (1:29 am): no i meant antarctica.....
Nay (1:30 am): no need to get sarcastic..
Nay (1:31 am): anyway that's great, for christmas?
Mikey (1:32 am): yepp gonna spend it with the fam
Nay (1:33 am): i remembered smth
Mikey (1:33 am): what
Nay (1:34 am): perhaps nothing
Mikey (1:35 am): nayyyyyy dont pull that with me srsly im so tired of everyone playing this stupid game just say it already
Nay (1:37 am): what game?
Mikey (1:38 am): exactly this now tell me
Nay (1:40 am): you probably don't even remember it anymore anyway
Nay (1:41 am): you said next time you come back you'd ask me smth
Mikey (1:42 am): I do remember tho
Nay (1:43 am): oh okay cool
Nay (1:43 am): what would you ask me?
Mikey (1:45 am): thats until we meet again ;))
Nay (1:46 am): now who's playing games??
Nay (1:46 am): c'mon tell me
Mikey (1:47 am): just wait ffs
Nay (1:48 am): no
Nay (1:49 am): tell me
Nay (1:55 am): michael?
Nay (2:00 am): MICHAEL
Mikey (2:02 am): can i ask you smth ?
Nay (2:03 am): you didn't even respond to my question..
Nay (2:04 am): are you trying to change topics?
Mikey (2:05 am): maybe but im also curious
Nay (2:06 am): alright what?
Mikey (2:07 am): its okay if you dont wanna talk about it tho
Nay (2:08 am): michael what?
Mikey (2:10 am): what made you so cynic about love ?

»»»

"Luke, wait!"
Tally's panicked squeal made him laugh out even more. He abruptly stopped the board underneath his feet by putting one foot on the ground and looked over his shoulder. Watching her long curls peeking out of her woollen beanie, swaying in front of her face. The tip of her dark red sneaker pushing off the ground as fast as she was able to. Slowly drawing nearer.
"You're such an idiot!" she huffed as soon as he was in earshot.
He chuckled innocently. "What did I do?"
"You know exactly what. You and your long ass noodle legs!"
"'Noodle legs' ?"
"Yes, noodle legs!" she giggled, "You're way faster than me and you know that. Why are you torturing me and my short legs?"
"First of all," he said, getting off his board and picking it up with one hand. "Your legs aren't short, so stop using that as an excuse."
Crossing her arms, she blew a curl off of her sight. "They're definitely shorter than yours though. And the ground is slippy," she disagreed. Staying still on her skateboard, like a little angry kid. Luke's grin spread wider as he took a few steps towards her. Standing right in front of her.
She tried to avoid his glance and remain persistent, but she just couldn't resist glancing up.
"Second of all," he continued then, leaning down until he was at her eye level, "You're adorable when you get mad."
Biting back the small smile creeping up on her lips, she shook it off. Huffing loudly again. "Now who's making excuses? And also pretty lame ones." She noticed some people on the other side of the street staring at the silly scene and felt herself blush. Heaving a sigh, she gently pushed him away and got off of her board as well. Picking it up, she tucked it under her arm and the pair continued walking down the street instead of skating.

It was past five and even though that wasn't late at all, the sky was shining pitch black over the street lights. An icy breath of wind ran over the street, causing them shiver under their thick coats.
Weirdly enough for New York, it wasn't covered in snow yet. But it was still winter. And still cold. And instead of white snow covering the streets they got clear sleet wetting everything.
Puddles on the dark cement reflecting the lights around them.
To be honest, with or without snow, this city still looked breathtaking.

The couple was walking in silence, passing by shops and bars decorated in a Christmas theme. Colourful holiday lights hanging around light posts and shop windows. Some even had snow flakes and Santa Clauses painted on them.
Getting on the main street, they came across people carrying several bags of big brands or just toy shops. Christmas music coming from inside the shops -mostly Mariah Carey of course- and Tally stopped in front of a toy shop window. Staring at the shiny decoration. Its inside somehow reminding her of the one's in Home Alone 2, having watched the movie a day ago.
Luke laughed at her marvelling eyes, feeling her fingers around his free hand then. Squeezing it through their gloves. He smiled, squeezing it back as they continued walking.
"Are you hungry? Cause I am," he asked then, seeing her nod.
"You're always hungry though," she giggled, "You hog."
"From idiot to hog, what a downgrade," he said, making a sad face.
Nudging him with her arm, she laughed out. "Don't pretend."
"I'll choose to ignore you calling me fat."
"Wh- I didn't call you fat. I called you a hog, there's a difference."
"Whatever," he exhaled deeply, "Where do you wanna eat?"
"I just want food, I guess. I don't care for anything else."
He sighed. He knew that game only too well. Girls always said they wouldn't mind what or where to eat, but still say no to every suggested place. Because secretly, they knew exactly what they wanted.

"Are you sure you don't want anything specific?" She nodded her head again, causing another sigh escaping his lips. "Okay, fine. I know a place near by," he said then and tightened his grip as he gently dragged her around a corner. The buildings familiar to her.
"Where are we going?"
"Remember that place we went to last time on tour?"
"You mean the one Calum suggested? The one with those cool wall paintings?"
"Yep."
Her lips curled up into a wide smile out of sheer joy remembering it. "I loved that place!"
"I know you did," he smiled. He loved seeing her so excited about random stuff. She was always able to get so easily delighted by anything. It was a trait he adored about her.

They crossed the road, entering a small park. The small path shining from the rain. The restaurant being right at the end of it.
"It's beautiful here," he heard her mumbling. Glancing down he saw her eyes darted at the dark sky, pointing at it. "Look the-"

She was about to say 'moon' but cut herself off as she felt losing her balance. Her skateboard slipped through her grip and Luke quickly put his hands around her waist, catching her on time.

"Careful, silly," he chuckled and slowly let go of her. "The ground is slippy, remember?" She shyly smiled, thanking him and picked up her board before locking gazes with him. And in that moment Luke felt as a lightning hit him, stopping dead. Blue eyes wildly open.

This. This whole scene.
It felt as if he'd lived through it once before. However, the memory was blurry and he couldn't quite place the pieces together. He wasn't even sure if it had been real. It felt like this had happened before, though.
"Yo, Luke."
Tally's hand in front of his eyes made him jump back, bringing him back to reality.
"Are you alright?"
He shook his head, blinking rapidly. "Y-yes it was just.. I-" His brows knit together. "I think I just had a..déjà vu?"
"You had a déjà vu?" she repeated, stepping closer. "Of what?"
"O-of this all. You, me, this park. You slipping and me catching you." Scratching his head, he was trying to remember more details, but failed.
"Well, it couldn't be last time we were here. I don't recall slipping back then," Tally said, thinking out loud.
"No, no.. I don't think it actually happened."
Her eyes widened. "Did you maybe dream it?"
"I-I don't know. Is that even possible?" She shrugged. "Yeah sure, happens to me sometimes as well."
His gaze fell on the ground, nothing making sense anymore. How was it possible to dream of something that happened months later?

"That's kinda creepy," he joked then, his eyes meeting hers.

Tally smiled then. "I guess unexplainable things are generally creepy." She paused and grabbed his hand again, continuing the path. "It's like astrology. Some believe it, some say it's bullshit. But fact is, everything it says about characteristics of the signs is true. Which is quite creepy as well."

His brow raised, a smirk ghosting over his lips. Remembering Tally mentioning her interest in astrology once before and everyone -including him- making fun of her. "Right, you believe in that. Horoscopes and stuff."
"No, not horoscopes," she frowned, "Not those telling you how your day will be. That's bullshit indeed. I believe in what it tells you about how the signs influence your personality."
He hummed. "What does it say about Cancers then?"
"Well, it's a water sign so it's very emotional -"
"Emotional?" he repeated chuckling, sounding puzzled at the same time.
"Oh c'mon, especially you are emotional, Luke," she laughed.
"It's you who cries at movies, not me."

Rolling her eyes, she shook her head. "Emotional doesn't necessarily mean that you'd cry a lot. It means your emotions are intenser than other signs. For example, earth sings are way more rational thinking and down-to-earth. While air signs are the exact opposite and have their heads in the clouds."
For a moment he was processing her words, them actually making sense in a way. "Okay, so as a water sign I'm emotional.." He tried to recall situations in which he indeed was acting out of emotions. And admittedly, there'd been quite a few. "What else?"
She thought and smiled. "They're also very caring and protecting." Luke was indeed that way, always looking out for others. Always looking out for her.
"Cancers are also quite introverted so they tend to crawl away into their shell sometimes. However, they can also fight back when they feel endangered," she continued, "And it's a very spiritual sign, as well. They see the world in their very own way."
Biting her lips she looked up, seeing him staring ahead of them. This specific look on his eyes she admired so much. "So, what do you think? Was any of this true?"
"More or less, yes. It all applies to me," he said, sounding impressed, "That's surely creepy. You were right."
"I'm always right."
"Let me guess," he smirked then, "Cockiness is an Aries attribute?"

She giggled. "Kind of, maybe."
"Okay, so tell me about your sign and we'll see how much of it applies to you."
"You should know though that not only the sun sign influences our personality. Basically all planets and their position do."
"Let's start with the basics, though," he interrupted. Amused of how quickly she got so deep into a topic she was passioned about. It was the same as asking her about movies.
Blushing, she nodded. "Okay, so I'm quite a typical Aries so it should be easy for you to relate on many things."
"Aries are a fire sign, right? So let me guess, you got to be very emotional, too."
"Yes, but in a slightly different way than Cancers. We're aggressive, straight forward and very passionate. We can easily find excitement in many things."
He gasped dramatically, before laughing out. "I was just thinking the same about you. So that's an Aries thing?"
Seeing him taking some interest in what she was talking about, made her happy. She knew, he was probably still sceptical about it. But he wasn't making fun of her anymore and actually listened.
"It is," she smiled then, "We're also very curious. Since we're the first sign, our archetype is the child. We want to learn and get to know about the world around us."
"You are a curious cat and childish," he pointed out.
She grinned proudly. "See, everything's explained with astrology. I'm a curious and feisty child and you an emotional, protecting mother."
"Wha- mother?"
She couldn't contain her giggles when seeing him staring at her in shock. "Cancer's archetype is the mother."
"Why not the dad?" he groaned.
"That's why!"
"I choose the father though." His frown turned into a mischievous grin. "So I'm the dad and you the child."
Rolling her eyes, she exhaled deeply. "As long as you don't expect me calling you 'daddy' now." They stared at each other for a moment before bursting out laughing.

It was then when they noticed they already got out of the park. Seeing their destination on the other side of the street.
"We're almost there," Luke sighed in relief, already feeling his stomach grumbling. Tagging Tally along, his pace picking up. He got so desperate for food, it made her laugh. Watching his golden streaks -which got even longer by now- being pushed back by the cold wind.
And there, in between holiday lights reflected in his eyes and noticing how pink his cheeks were from the cold, her laugh faded.
Remembering one of the basic rules of astrology, but also physics:
Fire and water didn't go along well.

»»»

"Okay, okay, it's my turn now"" Calum impatiently yelled, pushing Ashton back. "Now tell me about Aquarius."
"What the hell, man," the older boy objected and sat straight. "She wasn't done with me."
Calum's brown eyes rolled in annoyance. "Just ask Luke, you got the same one after all," he said, gesturing to the blond who was at the other side of the small space. Currently laying on a couch, strumming his guitar.
"Luke is an idiot, he won't remember correctly!"
"Hey, I'm right here!" Luke shouted. Them ignored his words.
"He might be an idiot but he isn't demented," Calum kept debating, causing Luke scoff again. "I'm fucking here!"
Tally was just sitting there, observing this whole scene in amusement.
Ashton groaned then, sinking into his seat. "Fine, go ahead," he muttered.

"Why the fuck are you dicks yelling?"
Their heads snapped to the direction of Michael's voice. The freshly dyed blond standing at the door frame with an arched brow. "You can be heard all over the place."
"What an embarrassement," Luke mumbled chuckling under his breath, continuing playing various notes with his fingers. It was mainly to get off his mind, actually being quite nervous under the surface. They were going to perform a new song tonight. And not just any song, it was the one he and Ashton had been working on.
"Tally explained to Luke some astrology stuff. And now she tells us," Calum explained.
"Oh?" Michael's confusion remained on his face, a sly smirk appearing along with it. "Since when are we not making fun of that anymore?"
"Since the stuff she says actually applies," Ashton replied in awe, "Did you know Cancer is the type to feel too much and also show that? That's me."
Michael just stared at them for a moment, making an 'are-you-fucking-serious?' grimace.
"O-kay, if you say so."

"Yes, Michael," Tally finally piping up, crossing her arms in front of her chest with a quite confident smirk. "While you Scorpios tend to feel too much, but hide it. Like us Aries."
Pressing his jaw together, he let out a deep chuckle. Trying playing it off that she just hit a nerve.
"You don't believe me?" she asked, her brows raising. "Okay so Scorpios are also the most sexual and jealous sign."
"Michael is the most sexual out of us all," Calum pointed out, earning an annoyed glimpse from him. "Whatever," he sighed then and joined Tally on the floor, since every seat was occupied by those assholes.
"Why so moody?" Luke asked as he played a scale. Noticing Michael was way too pissed off than usual. "Am not," he muttured and since he didn't seem wanting to talk about it, Calum took it as an opportunity for Tally to continue with him.
"So what about Aquarius now?"
"Oh right. So Aquarius is an air sign and quite talkative. They don't have a problem with speaking to strangers or larger groups." Furrowing his thick brows, he leaned over a bit more. "Wait, but that doesn't make sense. The name literally has 'water' in it."
"I know, but it's still an air sign," she giggled, "Also they're very original and independent. And good listeners. Though also temperamental and they tend to run away from emotional expres-"The phone on her lap vibrated then, cutting her off. She picked it up, seeing it was a text message from Amy.
"See, Michael? That's totally Calum!" Ashton exclaimed enthusiastically, causing the Scorpio frown his green eyes at him once more.

Amy (8:12 pm): I'm at the back door. can you pick me up?

"Sorry, Cal. Amy's at the venue," Tally pouted then, sliding the phone into her pocket. Perplexed he watched her staying up. "What? No, wait. I was waiting all this time just for you dumping me?"
"I'll be right back, geez. It'll only take me a few minutes." She rolled her eyes at his over-dramatic reaction. He scoffed, falling back on the couch. "Just hurry up."
Ashton then excitedly patted his shoulder, saying, 'Dude, you're like the Avatar! The only air sign in the group.' To which Luke -purposely loud for her to hear- grinned, 'And Tally's Azula! Pretty but evil!'
She chose to ignore them, a small laugh crossing her lips though.

Making her way through the backstage area of the festival, she swerved by some hurrying stuff members. Stress being written all over their faces. It was the last one for this year, the theme of it being Christmas -of course. Though, nothing but the few decorations on the stage were hinting on that, really.
As she made her way down the whole, she was mindlessly reading all the artists' names on the various lined up doors . Most of them being obviously pretty famous.
When passing by one door she noticed it being left ajar, allowing her to peek in. A sight of various stylists and makeup artists gathered around someone was all she could see though.

The muffled sound of the music performed by the current artist on stage got louder as closer she got to the big door separating the backstage area from the rest. She took a turn then, hoping she remembered the way correctly. Eventually recognizing a black door. She passed by the security guard, who was quickly minding his business again as soon as he spotted the lanyard with her VIP pass, and pushed open the door. The cold night air hinting her body, making her instantly shiver.
Amy was standing right in front of it, a big scarf wrapped around her face. However, Tally could still see the wide smile on it when taking note of the greek girl. "Hey!" the blonde chirped, instantly hugging Tally. "Thanks for coming. I'm pretty sure I'd get lost in that maze of corridors." Tally laughed at this, instantly convinced that would've been the case and led her inside into the warmth.

"Oh my god, I've got to tell you something," Amy said in a hushed tone then as they passed another stuff member, looking over her shoulder and then back to her. Taking off the ridiculously big scarf she quickly stuffed it into her bag. "I fear that drama's coming up soon."
Tally's eyes widened. She was always down for a good gossip and Amy had been her number one source in the past year. Though her choice of words contained something frightening. "You'll never guess who I saw lurking around at the entrance."
"Oh no," Tally groaned, "Don't tell me some of Luke's exes." Amy laughed out, knowing about the small incident on Halloween. "No, don't worry. It wasn't Luke's." Her thin brows wiggled.

"W-whose then?"
She glanced around once more before whispering, "Ashton's."
Tally's jaw dropped. Remembering a particular one of Ashton's exes. "You mean the one who broke up with him almost exactly a year ago?"
Amy nodded vigorously, seeing Tally was aware of it. "Mindy, yes. Did he mention anything?"
"Today?" The curly-haired girl shook her head. "He seems cheery like always. I don't think he knows."
They reached their green room. Amy suddenly grabbing her arm, preventing her from entering. "I should tell him, right? Or would that be a bad idea?"
Tally was thinking for a moment, not knowing herself. They should tell him, it was his right to know after all -despite the fact he himself had kept a secret from her as well. On another note though it could unnecessarily upset him..
She sighed. "I think you should."
As soon as those words left her lips, she felt her phone vibrate in her hand again. She frowned, her features soon softening when she saw a new text message appearing on the display.

Phoebs (8:29 pm): hey, sweetie. how are you? could you maybe do me a favor pls? :)

»»»

"A-are you sure it was her?"
Ashton's words were breaking at the end. Voice shaky. Trying so hard to understand, still unsure whether he'd heard right. His mind in overdrive.
"Yeah, I am," Amy assured as the two were standing at an empty part of the corridor. "She has shorter hair now, but I'm positive it was her."
He could literally feel his heart in his chest convulsing. And all of the sudden a part of the pain from a year ago returned. And he felt dizzy. All these thoughts running around his mind making him dizzy.
"I'm sorry, but I thought you should know." She gave him an apologetical look.
"Yeah, no. It's alright, thanks for telling me." Forcing a smile, he pushed himself off the wall he was leaning on. "I just.. have to sort my thought for a moment."
"Ashton," Amy sighed then, still remembering everything that had taken place only a year ago. "I know it's not my business, but if she's here because of you -which I'm quite sure it's the case- don't let her into your soul again. Okay?"
Her statement startled him, his hazel eyes widely staring at her. He gulped. She was right.
"I-I won't," he choked out, praying he could actually believe his own words. Because right now, he wasn't sure of anything anymore.
The tall woman nodded and lightly squeezed his shoulder before making her way back to the green room.

As soon as she was out of his sight, a long quiet groan escaped his lips. Why was this happening?
He didn't want to see Mindy.
Yes, he was over her. But simply hearing her name was tearing open old wounds. Wounds that had needed a long time to close or even heal.
He didn't even know if Mindy was actually there for him or if it was just a coincidence.
-Did coincidences even exist?
He clenched his fists. No. Whatever reason she had to be there, there was no way in hell he'd face her again. He might be over her, but he sure as hell wasn't ready yet. Even after all this time, even after a year having passed.
He wanted to scream out of frustration or at least talk about it with the others. But he couldn't or at least he didn't want to. Already knowing what they'd tell him. No, actually, there was only one person he felt like talking to right now. And honestly, it surprised him himself that out of all it was her.
Scrolling through his contacts, he went straight to 'v', pressing her name. It rang and rang, a queasy feeling spreading in his guts. Ready to hang up, when a sleepy 'hello?' broke it off.
"Vicky?"
"A-Ashton?"
"Shit, sorry I woke you up but.." Pressing his jaw together, he tried to calm himself. "Fuck, this is so messed up."
"Ashton, are you alright?" She sounded worried. It made him forget for a moment, heaving a tired sigh. "No, I'm not."

»»»

It was around midnight when the five finally reached their hotel. Somehow feeling even more exhausted than before -if possible. It had been a long day after all. Like all days the guys had to perform somewhere. There was really no big difference from touring. Sure, performances at festivals with a bunch other artists performing as well were shorter than ones at your very own headlining tour. But still, whether short or long, performances remained exhausting. However, also very exciting and funny.
And luckily, the crowd had seemed to like -or how Ashton had shouted later on: 'Fuck yes, they dig it! They do!' - the new song.

"Hey, Cal?" she whispered and lightly nudged his side to get the attention of the almost sleeping guy. They were in the lift, going up to their floor. Ashton's head was leaning on Michael's shoulder. While Luke was pressed against the mirror behind them, trying his best to keep his knees straight. Them ready to give in. His bloodshot eyes open. It was a quite tiring view.
The brown boy hummed in response, opening one of his eyes at her. "Try not to fall asleep yet." Her whisper was followed by a small smile.

His brows knit together in confusion, wanting to ask what she meant when the loud ping! of the lift doors was heard. Startling everyone to the point Ashton and Michael bumped their heads. Both groaning in unison while holding them.

"For fuck's sake, Ashton!" Michael said angrily, but his words came out more whiny than anything.
Leaving the lift and entering the corridor, they bid each other good night and made their way to their rooms. Calum noticing Tally typing something into her phone, shrugging it off.

Yawning into the palm of his hand, he needed a moment to find his room card in the back of his pants.
The room was cold and dark as he switched on one of the lights and kicked the door shut. Shrugging off his jacket, he took off his Converse and almost immediately fell on the bed. His face burying itself into the soft covers. Another yawn escaped his lips, being muffled by the fabric against them.
His brown eyes grew slowly heavy and he felt them closing. His breath calm and steady as a comfortable silence surrounded him. And he fell asleep.
He could swear it wasn't for more than ten, maybe fifteen minutes when the feeling of his phone continuously buzzing in his pocket woke him up again.
First he tried to ignore it, in hopes whoever it was would simply give up and make it end. It didn't though. He cursed into the cover, rolling on his back. His eyes fell on the clock on the wall, reading it was past one o'clock.
"Seriously?" he moaned, sliding a hand across his face as the other grabbed the still annoyingly sounding phone, accepting the call without even checking who it was.
"What?"

Perhaps that wasn't the most polite way to answer it, but dammit, it was the middle of the night and he'd already been asleep.
"Uhm.. so-sorry. It's probably too late. I-I'll call you tomorrow."
The girl was ready to hang up when Calum recognized her voice. His eyes growing wide as he sat up straight. "Phoebe?" Two weeks had passed since the last time they'd spoken to each other and he'd have loved to pretend having forgotten about her. But he wasn't able to. It'd be a bald lie.
"Uhm, yes. Hey, hi."
"Sorry for being so rude," he sighed, closing his eyes again, "But why the fuck are you calling me this late?"
"I'm s-sorry, were you sleeping?"
"Yeah, kind of." It didn't even matter anymore. "But it's okay.. So?"
"Oh well.." She was audible struggling finding the right words to say. And it made him wonder what had happened for her loss of words. After all, she never was one not to know what to say.
"I wanted to apologize."
"Y-you already did," he chuckled.
"No, not for waking you up," she giggled. It was then when Calum noticed a bunch of background noises and he was wondering if she was outside. But furthermore, what she could be possibly doing this late on the streets? It wasn't early in New Orleans either after all.
"For what then?"
A deep sigh was heard from the other phone line, as she sorted her thoughts. "For the way I treated you, Cal. You're such a great guy and I was such a ..bitch. With all that stuff going down.. You were there for me and I appreciate this a lot, but probably didn't show it enough."

Calum sat there in silence for a moment. His jaw pressed together, his lips twisting into a smile soon. She was actually sorry.
"It's alright," he sighed and rubbed his tired eyes, "It wasn't an easy time for you. I know you didn't want to be a bitch." Both let out a small laugh.
"No, listen," she objected then. A shuffling being heard. "I told you I like you, but that I needed time to think. And I had time and thought about everything, you know. I thought about all the dumb decisions I made in life. Doing my first piercing alone and getting my ear swollen; joining the theatre group in first year of college, though I can't act for shit; and of course the whole story with my ex."
"Sounds like you generally tend to make shitty choices," he joked, trying to lighten up the mood.
"I know.." she groaned in embarrassment as a ping echoed from the other line. "May I ask you something?"
"Yeah, sure."
A small silence built up as seconds passed in a threateningly slow pace.
"Did.. did you mean it when you said you'd like me, too?"
"Y-es, of course."
He could literally hear her smile as she sighed in relief. "Great, then I didn't come all the way for nothing."
"Wh-?" Puzzled, he furrowed his brows when a knock on the door caught his attention. He instantly jumped up and rushed, opening it in a swift move. None other than the short Indian girl with the purple lipstick smiling up on the other side of it. His lips parted as her appearance stunned him.

Both still pressing their phones against their ear.
"Hey."
"H-hey."
"You're probably wondering what the hell I'm doing here."
"Yeah, pretty much," he said with a chuckle, scratching the back of his neck. She bit her bottom lip, lowering her phone. Eventually, ending the call with her thumb. He did so as well.
"You're flying over to Australia in a few days and.." She paused, her gaze falling on the ground. "I didn't want to live with the regret of what could have been."
Taking a deep breath, Calum stepped in front of her. His slender fingers slowly cupping her cheeks. The coldness from outside competing the warmth of his hands.
"Let's find out," he breathed, before leaning in. Until feeling the softness of her lips against his.

»»»

Tally's finger was tracing patterns onto the fabric of her satin sleeping shorts. Her mother's voice on the other line keeping her from falling asleep. It was a little bit odd talking greek again after such a long time. And to be honest, she wasn't even fully paying attention to what her mum was babbling about.
It was late and her mind was already in sleeping mode. However, she couldn't do much about it. They hadn't talked in a week and her mum obviously had forgotten about that little thing called time zones.
"Oh, cool," she mumbled with half-closed eyes. Her chin almost slipping from her fist. She quietly sighed then. Deciding to stay up, pressing herself against the cool glass of the balcony door and glancing down outside. Not much but a few switched on lights in some of the tall buildings shining through the dark. Replacing the stars that couldn't be seen on the night sky.

"And how's Luke? Everything alright with you guys?"
Her mum's sudden change of topic made her flinch. Generally, they were alright. More than alright, even. Everything was great and that scared her. Maybe it was too great, maybe that was the calm before the storm or something. -Was she starting getting paranoid? All cause some signs didn't necessarily go well together. Was she really that insecure? Actually, no, she wasn't. Usually. But until that day, astrology never led her astray.
"Y-yeah, everything's great," she responded, "We came back from their last performance of this year. He's actually taking a shower right now."

Her mum continued talking and she just hummed along at most questions, making her way to their bags and suitcases. She remembered Luke had somewhere a bag of gummybears and she felt like eating something sweet.
After rummaging a bit, she could soon sense the plastic under her fingertips. She smiled, pulling it out when her eyes caught something blue inside the back. Curious as she was, she looked further inside, pulling out the mysterious object as well. Realising it was a book.

Her eyes growing wide when actually recognizing it. It was none other than the book she'd given him as a birthday present months ago. When they'd been nothing but friends. Her lips curling up as memories of both, the story and him, flooded her mind.
She stood up, taking the book with her as she went back to the bed and laid down. Phone balanced between her shoulder and ear as her hands held it, browsing its pages. Having forgotten about the gummybears.
She noticed many underlined parts and small words or notes scribbled next to text passages, astonishing her when realising they'd to be Luke's by the messy handwriting.
She started reading some, amused by most.

'And I like large parties. They're so intimate. At small parties there isn't any privacy', the text said, to which he'd responded -as if it was some kind of dialogue- 'surprisingly true.'

She giggled under her breath, flipping a few pages. Her smile fading when reading the next underlined sentence.
'You see I usually find myself among strangers because I drift here and there trying to forget the sad things that happened to me.'
Her chest ached. Did he highlight it because he was relating to that? Relating to Gatsby?

'In his blue gardens men and girls came and went like moths among the whisperings and the champagne and the stars.'
Next to that line were a bunch of variations, him trying out different shorter syntaxes like in.. lyrics? With furrowed brows she turned some more pages.

'I felt a haunting loneliness sometimes, and felt it in others--young clerks in the dusk, wasting the most poignant moments of night and life.'
And again scribbled down a shorter sentence with some added words next to that. Was he actually getting inspired for songs by those lines?

'...and for a moment I thought I loved her. But I am slow-thinking and full of interior rules that act as brakes on my desires'
She sucked in a breath. Why was this underlined? There were no other comments next to it.

'Then he kissed her. At his lips' touch she blossomed for him like a flower and the incarnation was complete.'
-'would she blossom too?' was written down at the side. Who was 'she'? Tally?
The warm feeling spreading inside her guts made her forget about the phone, letting it almost slip from her shoulder. All the more when reading the next marked line by her boyfriend right underneath it.

'Well, there I was, 'way off my ambitions, getting deeper in love every minute, and all of a sudden I didn't care. What was the use of doing great things if I could have a better time telling her what I was going to do?'

Now she couldn't stop. She had to read more. Was that invading his privacy? She wasn't sure, it wasn't a diary after all and she'd been the one giving him this book. However, those were an insight of Luke's thoughts and feelings when reading the story. A story she loved and had wanted to share with him. And she couldn't help but feel like drowning more and more in his mind. It always was an amazing feeling.

''You always look so cool,' she repeated. She had told him that she loved him, and Tom Buchanan saw.'
-'what if she finds her own Tom?'

Frowning at the last comment, she heard the bathroom door open and looked up. A sopping wet Luke coming out of it, with nothing on but a towel around his waist. Water dropping from his streaks down on his bare chest and shoulders.
Watching him making his way over to his suitcase, she couldn't suppress the raising feeling inside her.
"U-huh, yeah, mum," she mumbled to her mum, arching a brow when his broad back was facing him. "Yeah, okay. Greetings to everyone. Goodnight."
"Say goodnight from me, too," Luke whispered over his shoulder.
"Mum, Luke says goodnight, too." She giggled at her mum's response, rolling her eyes. "Yes, mum. It's quite late here."
She hung up then, dragging a long, tired sigh and closed her eyes. Only for her face to suddenly make contact with a wet fabric. She shrieked, hearing Luke uncontrollaby laughing.
"Why?" she whined, picking up the towel in disgust and tossing it on him. "Why are you torturing me like this?"
"Cause it's funny." He was sliding on a pair of boxers, grinning from ear to ear like the idiot he was. And she preferably would kick his balls, could contain herself though.
She only huffed, shifting in her position as he picked up the towel, drying his hair with it. No, she wouldn't give in because of his look.

"What you got there?" he asked then, a curious smile on his lips. One of his brows raised at her. She smiled, too, closing the book and holding it up for him to see.
"My book."
"You mean my book," he chuckled, when all of the sudden his eyes grew wide. "D-did you read it?"
"You mean your comments and underl-"
"Yes."
She bit her lip, anxious about his reaction as she nodded. His lips shaped a small 'o' then and he sat down beside her. Scratching his arm, a nervous smile creeped up on his face again. "W-what did you think of them?"
"Well," she began, clearing her throat and sitting up straight. "I found it all very interesting, you know, to gain an insight of your impressions. Also those lyrics you wrote down are really good, you should definitely use them in a song." She paused, a soft smile appearing on her features. "And the fact you actually took your time to read it through and even make notes means a lot to me. Thanks."
"No need to thank me," he shrugged, "I liked it a lot after all. I kind of felt with Gatsby. So there was some connection."

She nodded slightly. "Y-yeah, I figured that out." Her voice not above a whisper. A tad of sadness washing over her when watching his blue irises stare at the ground. Lips in a straight line.
"W-where those lines.. I mean the ones about Daisy.. were your comments about me?"
He nodded, a lopsided smile appearing again. His eyes piercing into hers. He didn't even care about her reading them. She wasn't meant to, but it didn't matter. He wasn't ashamed of what he'd felt back then. After all, those lines had reminded him of her. And still did. He still felt the same for her. Or even more by now, if possible.
"You know," he whispered then, chewing on his lips. "The new song.. One line is about you, too."
Her lips fell slightly agape, her eyes riveted on him confused. Trying to remember the lyrics, but failed to remember them all. "R-really?" was all she could say.
"Quite cheesy, right?" He couldn't help but snicker at himself.
However, he saw her shake her head then, long curls wiggling along her movement. She put the book aside, leaning on her knees. Her hands found their way around his neck as she closed the gap between them. Connecting their lips. Slowly moving against his.

Sighing into the kiss, he pulled her closer. Wrapping his arms around her waist. She shivered lightly due to the coldness of his still damp skin, making her lean into him more.
Soon, drops of water were also running down her own warm skin, tickling it. They didn't stop though.
Neither did she care what astrology might've said about them, it didn't matter.
Tally loved Luke and no constellation would change that.

Her fire setting a flame in his body that made him find out parts of himself that he hadn't known they actually existed. And in return, he helped her find a place she belonged to when being with him.

»»»

The sound of Michael's breath was the only sound in the cold room. A dampening and oppressive silence lingering in the air. Breathtaking, even, but in the most horrible way possible.
A pressure laying on his chest which he simply couldn't shake off. And he just felt like crying for some reason. All in all, he felt shitty.
And his brain -his fucking brain- wouldn't just shut the fuck up and let him sleep. He couldn't even keep his eyes closed, staring into the darkness above him. And he wondered how the hell she was able to sleep -wait, what time was it in Melbourne again?- with this unresolved thing between them.
Twenty-four hours had passed, more or less, since he'd sent that message. And still no response -though she'd clearly read it.
He wanted to scream, but that wouldn't help anyway. It was hopeless. He had to wait for her response, if she ever responded. And there was no way he'd write her again. No, he didn't want to reveal how important it was for him to know.
He laughed under his breath. Maybe the astrology stuff Tally told them wasn't complete bullshit.
For a moment he forgot everything until his brain reminded him of it again.
Shifting to the side, he grabbed the pillow underneath his head. Like his life was depending on it. He just wanted this uncertainty to stop.

His eyes shut for a few seconds, his body -and mind- in desperate need for some sleep when something else but his thoughts opened them once more.
It was his phone buzzing on the ground where it had fallen down. Not having cared enough to pick it up before.

Nay (1:58 am): hey
Nay (1:58 am): I'm sorry for not replying all day long
Nay (1:59 am): it's just not an easy topic for me to talk about and i tried avoiding it i guess
Nay (2:00 am): quite childish and dumb, i know
Mikey (2:01 am): i already said it's ok if you dont wanna talk about it
Nay (2:02 am): i know but i figured out you'd deserve to know
Mikey (2:02 am): okay
Nay (2:04 am): there was an incident when i was younger
Mikey (2:05 am): what happened?
Nay (2:06 am): long story short.. when i was twelve I saw my dad cheating on my mum
Nay (2:07 am): he didn't see me nor does he know I saw him that night. no one does, not even my brother
Nay (2:08 am): but what actually turned me into a cynic was the fact that when his fling worried mum could catch them all he said was 'i don't care'
Nay (2:09 am): he didn't even care if his wife would see them
Mikey (2:10 am): damn.. I'm sorry for all this. idk what to say i didn't expect smth like this being the reason
Nay (2:11 am): yeah i know, no one does
Mikey (2:11 am): thanks for telling me tho
Nay (2:12 am): it's okay. I guess it was necessary for you to understand me better
Mikey (2:13 am): indeed
Mikey (2:13 am): but you know, what happened to your parents, what your dad did, thats not the norm
Nay (2:15 am): i know but it's still hard to convince myself from that
Mikey (2:16 am): i hope someday you'll trust people again.. not everyone is a bad, cheating jerk

Nay (2:18 am): well I trust you, isn't that enough?

»»»

A peaceful silence was enveloping the usually purring metropol. The cold breeze of the gloomy morning hours gently stroking Ashton's skin. The sun was still hiding behind the horizon, somewhere behind all those buildings. Ready to peek up at any second.
He was sitting there on the grey concrete of the balcony. Knees brought up to his chin, arms wrapped around his long legs. Black coat around his shoulders as he anticipated the morning to arrive.
It was admittedly icy, stinging his bones but after a while he'd eventually got used to it. Thoughts darker than the winter sky above him. He sighed, his breath visible for a few seconds. Like a small fog. His slightly shaking hands clenched into fists as his eyes squeezed shut.
He'd woken up not long ago. Mind cloudy by insecurities, not able to control them. So instead of turning and twisting sleeplessly in his covers, he decided to try and clear it.

Many thoughts were occupying his mind that morning.
Thoughts revolving around their life, around Mindy and around Vicky. He wasn't particular sure about the last one, but it seemed that he'd to admit that maybe he started seeing Tally's cousin as something more than just an acquaintance. They talked too much with each other not to count as friends. He didn't know what kind of friends they were though.

Looking up, his hazel irises were confronted with a deep fuchsia streak breaking through the dark blue in the distance. He blinked, noticing the clouds adapting purple shadows. And at a bow, he forgot all his worries, only focusing on the breathtaking view in front of him.
A sudden idea popping up, as he wished to share this. And the only people he wanted to do so being asleep.
He grabbed out his phone and without really thinking about the consequences, dialed all their numbers. Calum, Michael, Tally and Luke.
Almost all picked it up after several ringings with a groan. And almost all responded with the same exact sentence 'What the fuck, Ashton! How late is it?' and to all he'd simple responded with 'Shut up and just go outside' and hung up. Leaving them puzzled and curious.
One by one he watched their balcony doors open after a few moments. Their rooms being almost next to each other.
And one by one he watched getting astonished by the view, like him.

"Phoebe?" Michael whisper-shouted suddenly. The first one to notice a short figure cuddled up in a blanket next to Calum. His jacket almost slipping from his shoulders, pulling it back up. The rest instantly looking at the Kiwi boy. "Where the hell did you spring up from?"
Calum was awkwardly coughing, a small grin plastered on his lips as Phoebe gave them a small wave, rubbing her eyes with her other hand. "She just wanted to see me."
All of them starting mockingly cooing at them.
A few more colours broke in between the skyscrapers, fuchsia still dominating. All their eyes now glued at the naturally beautiful view.
"It's amazing," Luke said, rather loud for them all to hear. Feeling Tally's head nodding against his chest.
"So you guys won't kill me for waking you up?"
"Debatable," Calum chuckled, earning Phoebe's elbow in his ribs. "Don't listen," she said, adding, "It was a wonderful idea."

They all fell silent then, simply enjoying the moment. Clouds above them seemingly made of candy floss. Stuck on a canvas where all shades of purple and pink were blended into each other, creating a perfect piece of art.

Everyone of them had their package to carry. Struggles and hopes they shared and didn't share with each other. However, nothing of that mattered in that moment. They were sharing this and only this was important. They didn't know what was waiting for them, but that was okay.
As long as they'd continue sharing great memories and come together, no matter in which state of life they were.
It was funny to think of that a whole year had almost passed by again and how much had changed. And how all their choices -whether small or big- seemed to have led them right to that moment. Right there, watching the winter sun rising behind New York's skyscrapers.

Because in the end, our choices make us.

»»»
THAT WAS THE FINAL CHAPTER! STAY TUNED FOR THE EPILOGUE !! it's gonna be a good one ;) so if you want to read it and support the story, help me reach my goal of 20 votes one more time.
also thanks to everyone who's still reading this lol YOU ROCK!
anyway, hope this was good enough as a last chapter and i really hope you enjoyed it :)
ALSO TVD ENDED AND TWITTER AND MY COUSIN SPOILED ME SO WTFF
anyway, DON'T BE A GHOST READER! leave a vote and comment and share this story, please.
-Eleni xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 49.5K 95
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
883K 40.9K 61
Taehyung is appointed as a personal slave of Jungkook the true blood alpha prince of blue moon kingdom. Taehyung is an omega and the former prince...
28.8M 915K 49
[BOOK ONE] [Completed] [Voted #1 Best Action Story in the 2019 Fiction Awards] Liam Luciano is one of the most feared men in all the world. At the yo...
1M 54.9K 35
It's the 2nd season of " My Heaven's Flower " The most thrilling love triangle story in which Mohammad Abdullah ( Jeon Junghoon's ) daughter Mishel...