Algid (#TronnorAU)

By CoffeeForTheSoul

"Let me tell you the story, about what happens when a heart as cold as ice meets one made of gold." What happ... More

Introduction/Explanation
Prologue
Chapter 1: Welcome to Yule Town
Chapter 2: The first day
Chapter 3: Mysterious gas station kid
Chapter 4: The first walk
Chapter 5: Call it a truce
Chapter 6: Cool kids
Chapter 7: Grace's gifts
Chapter 8: A new friend
Chapter 9: Tryouts
Chapter 10: Mr. Cole's science project
Chapter 11: Little Johannesburg
Chapter 12: The Blue House
Chapter 14: "Don't ask"
Chapter 15: Green-chested Sparrow
Chapter 16: "Don't tell"
Chapter 17: Red
Chapter 18: September boys
Chapter 19: The birthday parties
Chapter 20: Touch
Chapter 21: The other side of the field
Chapter 22: The Gingerbread man
Chapter 23: Beneath the tomato stand
Chapter 24: First move
Chapter 25: Ghosts
Chapter 26: Andrew Graham Foundation
Chapter 27: Mikey's family
Chapter 28: After dark
Chapter 29: "You do care"
Chapter 30: A work in progress
Chapter 31: Trick-or-Treat
Chapter 32: Alexis in Wonderland
Chapter 33: The Thanksgiving Festival
Chapter 34: After a long time
Chapter 35: The silver wristwatch
Chapter 36: The old building on Genevieve Street
Chapter 37: Eyes of mischief
Chapter 38: "It's over"
Chapter 39: "We don't kiss"
Chapter 40: The feeling of being burned
Chapter 41: Connor, cold as ice
Chapter 42: Down to skin and bones
Chapter 43: Into the birdcage
Chapter 44: Thicker than blood
Chapter 45: "No matter how long it takes."
Chapter 46: The City of Lakes
Chapter 47: Too Good
Chapter 48: Ease
Chapter 49: The trial of the Queen of Hearts
Chapter 50: No such thing as happy endings
Epilogue
Goodbyes/Appreciations

Chapter 13: Rain

9.3K 360 1.1K
By CoffeeForTheSoul

For the remaining days of that week, Connor did everything in his power to become invisible.

He had been too affected by seeing Troye's family. He was perfectly aware of how stupid and irrational it was, but he couldn't help it. And even if he thought it was horrible, the truth was that he was being too hard on himself. He would've known that, of course, if he hadn't isolated himself from all his new friends.

But yes, in the three days that passed Connor had gone back to being the cold, distant new kid nobody knew. He didn't talk to anyone in class anymore, not even Lilly, who seemed extremely concerned all the time, and who kept looking for him during lunch. But Connor kept having lunch in secret places, where he knew nobody could find him. It was even tougher given that she had Caspar, Joe and Oli looking for him constantly. He had found one on top of the roof of the school's main classroom building. There was a set of stairs, and on top of it there was a never-used basketball court and some benches where he had all the loneliness he wanted so that he could eat in peace. Or eat at all, which he wasn't at Grace's house. He skipped the three meals of every day, and although Grace didn't seem to find the correct words to ask him what was wrong, she never stopped worrying and offering him different things to eat to see if there was anything he'd have. He even stopped talking to Mikey and Alexis. Alexis felt extremely hurt from it, and Mikey was just plain out confused, since he thought the two of them were starting to become friends. It was even worse because as soon as he had gotten back to the house after crying his way back from Troye's, Alexis asked him what was wrong, because she could tell he had been crying. And Connor pushed her aside instead.

But the last person Connor wanted to see, was Troye.

All the classes they shared together, Connor avoided his sight. When they were about to cross paths on the halls, he would turn around and go another way. When he received texts from him, he deleted them without reading them first.

However, the true trouble came when Connor skipped his meeting with Lisbug on Wednesday as he was meant to, and got sent a warning form to his locker instructing him to meet her in her office after class before the end of the week unless he wanted to get into more trouble with both the school and his parole.

So on Thursday afternoon, one day before the class road trip to the lake, Connor took off early from swimming so that he could go meet her instead. It wasn't too hard to convince Mr. Hartman, given he didn't really care that much, and so he got out of the pool, said bye to Shawn and went directly to get showered, changed and towards her office, set and ready to knock on her door.

Basically, that was the whole story on how Connor was after class sitting down in the room he'd learn to hate, in front of a rather silent and confused-looking counselor, who had her blonde hair tied down on a horsetail instead of her usual headband, and was wearing an oddly fancy dress and no glasses.

He didn't mean to stare at all, but Connor couldn't help to do so, because she looked like an entirely different person. This was definitely not her to-go look when it came to work, but there were most likely a set of circumstances he wasn't aware of. Eventually, she offered Connor a mug of hot coffee, which he accepted wordlessly, and gave him a sad grin.

-"Listen, Connor."—she said—"I know I was out of line the last time we saw each other."

Honestly, Connor had forgotten all about last time he had spoken with her. Now he did see why she might have thought that had been an issue, though, because he did storm out angrily, probably leaving the impression he didn't intend to come back. Though he had been angry at her then-and honestly was a little bit still-that wasn't an issue anymore, so perhaps it was time to cut her a break.

-"... If you're wondering if that's why I skipped"—he explained with several pauses—", it isn't."

Lisbug's eyes widened a bit, clearly not expecting what she had just heard.

-"Oh!"—she said—"Then, if you mind me asking, what was it?"

Well, there it was again. The keen interest in entering his head, knowing what was going on. The eternal struggle of the student of the mind, like all shrinks, applied just as perfectly to Lisbug and her quest into figuring out Connor. And like usual, he wouldn't give her the way in. However, this time, the tables had slightly turned.

Connor crossed his arms and sighed. For the first time ever since he had gotten this stupid punishment of sorts, life was giving him a chance to actually use it for something. He had the whole entire story down to the tip of his tongue. And he would have been lying to himself if he'd say he didn't want to talk about it. But this was way out of his character, and for pride purposes he would never budge that easily.

But he was all out of pride.

-"... Something happened."—he said, finally—"On Tuesday. And ever since, I've been bummed out. I skipped Wednesday's meeting because I've been avoiding... talking. To anyone. Not just you."

Lisbug nodded, and then took out her trademark notebook and a pen, and started writing down some things.

-"So let me guess..."—she said—"You still don't want to talk about what happened, don't you?"

She didn't need to raise her head to see Connor nodding, since she already knew the answer to that. Instead she took out her phone, and started scrolling through something Connor couldn't see.

-"... What exactly are you... doing?"—Connor questioned, a little baffled at her sudden lack of interest.

-"Well... I thought I'd show you something."

She kept scrolling through her phone, and kept talking while Connor actually did listen intently.

-"You see I thought that I would try something different with you. You don't like sharing your stuff with me, and I understand that. I'm not going to force you too if you don't want to, of course... but that doesn't mean we can just stop meeting each other."—she then looked at Connor and grinned—"So I figured that I'd try sharing some things about me with you first."

At this proposition, Connor raised his eyebrow, interested in what sort of theory she had come up with.

-"Like this, maybe one day you will grow to know me better enough... to talk to me about the things that bother you. For real."

The idea sort of made sense, if it were meant to be an equivalent exchange of sorts. But to Connor it still sounded a bit silly.

-"So, an eye for an eye and a deep dark confession for a deep dark confession?"—he asked—"It sounds like a longshot."

-"Which is why we're... starting slow!"—she said, finally stopping her scrolling down, and then showing Connor her phone.

A picture was up on the screen, one several kids in costumes that looked young enough to be in elementary school. They were all dressed as farmers of sorts and some others as animals of all kinds, and they seemed to be on some sort of stage. They were smiling, and looked genuinely happy. Lisa pointed towards one of them.

-"Looks familiar?"—she asked.

Connor scooted closer to the picture and squinted his eyes to see better, and noticed the red and black patters of a ladybug in the costume worn by a short, smiling blonde little girl. She had a huge pair of circled glasses that weren't flattering to look at all. Suddenly it made sense, and his eyes widened in surprise.

-"Yup! That's me!"—Lisbug announced, putting her phone away—"That was the first play ever I did, and well, I have to say I've been stuck with the hobby ever since..."

-"What was that...?"

-"Oh, well, there's a story to that."—she paused, with an ironic smile—"You know how everyone calls me Lisbug?"

Connor looked away a bit shamefully, suddenly regretting calling her that behind her back. She didn't really seemed bothered by it, though.

-"Don't feel bad! Everyone does it! I don't mind if you've done it, too. I guess it's more interesting than 'Lisa'."

Connor just nodded, not sure of what to say. Lisa went on.

-"Well the thing is when I was little I had TERRIBLE eyesight. And my parents couldn't afford contacts so I got stuck with this huuuuuge circled glasses that, well... let's face it, made my eyes look huge like an insect's. And well I got teased a lot for it, with that same nickname. I let it get to me a lot, even though it was so silly! It's not even offensive! But I hated it, and hated it with aaaaall my heart. But, one day, I fixed it."

-"You... You fixed it?"—Connor asked—"How?"

-"Well, I had a very good set of teachers"—she explained—"who worried about me, and they helped me come up with an idea. And one day, I auditioned for the school play, and got the part of the Ladybug! And I totally smashed it! Ever since, 'Lisbug' meant something entirely different. It meant that I had gone out there and proven everyone that I didn't mind, and that in fact, I liked that name. And so, like that, I became a different person entirely. The glasses didn't bother me anymore. And I discovered how much I loved theatre. And well, ever since, Ladybugs have been my thing. Evidently."

Lisbug then placed down her phone and rested her chin on her hands, looking at Connor with a smile. She seemed really pleased with herself, and Connor could see why. It wasn't a case particularly similar to his, not at all really, but it was still something real.

-"... How come you didn't study theatre?"—Connor asked.

-"Oh I thought about it! A lot!"—she answered—"But when it came down to it, I realized that what I wanted to do was help children like me not have to go through similar stuff while growing up. I decided I wanted to be a teacher, and a helper. And well... this is my dream job. Believe it or not. And, besides..."

Lisa started scrolling down took her phone one more time, and showed the screensaver to Connor. It was a picture of her and a man with brown hair and a toothless smile. They seemed very happy together.

-"This, is my husband. Mr. Dawson, as you may know him."—she said with a grin—"He studied theatre himself, and now he teaches drama and English here at Yule."

-"Oh, yeah..."—Connor said—"he's Alexis' teacher..."

-"Yes, he teaches freshman year. And he's so good and nice to kids, and I sort of live my passion of theatre through him. And tonight, we are going to a play he's presenting. That's sort of why I'm dressed this fancy."

She put her phone away.

-"We make a good team. I may not have lived my dream of becoming... I don't know, an actress, but he helps so many kids pursue that dream for me. And I couldn't ask for more."

Lisa's story was done as soon as it had begun, all complete with a moral at the end. It was good move, Connor had to admit, to start sharing her life before asking him to share his. It had left him wanting to know more, creating a spark of interest he'd never allow himself to experience before.

-"... I'm not really sure of what I'm supposed to say."—Connor said.

-"Hmm... well, let's see... haven't you ever had someone very close to you? It could be a friend, which usually comes to you to share personal stuff?"

Connor's first thought that came to mind was Alexis. Honestly, there wasn't anybody else. The two of them had been together on the run for ten years, and all that time they've had no one else. Even with all their rules about not calling each other their sibling and placing a lot of limits, their most important one would always be to take care of each other. And that one, they had kept.

-"... Yeah, it comes to mind."

-"Well, this very similar to that."—Lisa said—"Only that well, you don't consider me to be close to you. So, you know... in this sort of situation, one would usually say to the person something polite. Along the lines of 'thanks for sharing'."

Connor nodded, understanding for the first time where Lisa was coming from. Like this, it was much easier to communicate. At least for him.

-"... Thanks for sharing."—he said.

-"Thanks for listening."—Lisa replied, and smiled—"Now, Connor. Remember. I'm always open to listen to you. As long as you want to share."

-"... I'm not sure if I can tell you much... today..."

-"It's alright, Connor."—she said with a smile—"We can try baby steps. But, for now, I think we've made a lot of progress for today."

There was a silent goodbye between the two, and Connor left the room and started heading back to Grace's house.

And for the first time, he didn't absolutely hate that room he had just left.

For the first time he hadn't been talking to the guidance counselor he was forced to see. He was talking to a whole new, different person. And that, he could do.

---

The night had approached with haste, and by the time Connor was back home it had started pouring like a deluge, and he had to run the last two blocks to avoid getting soaked. He failed.

Entering the house panting from the cold and drenched to the bone, Connor took a glance at his watch and saw it was nearly seven in the night. His very brief talk with Lisbug had somehow prolonged his return to the house a lot more than what he ever anticipated.

-"... Hello?"—Connor asked tentatively—"Anybody... home?"

There was no response, but the lights in the living room and the lobby where he was standing in were all on, so that meant that there was definitely at least someone at home.

Without wanting to catch a cold, Connor headed upstairs to his bedroom and took a quick shower, getting a quick change of clothes into a grey jumper and matching sweatpants Grace had recently gotten for him and going downstairs with his wet clothes to put them in the laundry room. As he walked across the hallway, a couple of wooden floor tiles creaked under him. The sound of leaves rustling in the wind outside and the rain pouring out on the street didn't help much either. If that didn't make the whole thing earie, Connor didn't knew what could.

And then, he heard sobs coming from the living room.

They weren't loud sobs, or very high-pitched, like he would expect a child's to be. These were soft, tender sobs, from someone who was crying, but didn't want anyone to find out. He didn't recognize Alexis' voice, but he knew it had to be that of a woman.

And that only left one person.

Leaving his clothes aside, he walked slowly towards the living room and, without entering it, he tried to peek from the corner of the hallway into the large red-walled room. He made his best effort not to be seen or heard, and apparently he had gotten his way.

Grace was sitting alone on the large couch of the living room, crying. She kept wiping off her eyes, and sniffing her nose. She wore a teal t-shirt and a pair of black pants, just out of the office, like usual. Her makeup was getting ruined by the tears, leaving a taint of black stains flowing down her face like two rivers.

Connor looked carefully from his hiding spot, and didn't date to move. From what he did get to see that far away, there was a pile of papers on the table in front of her. They didn't precisely look like bills.

After a few minutes, Grace stood up and headed towards the kitchen, never stopping her silent suffering. She probably thought the house was empty. Connor had never even seen her like this before, but at least she didn't seem to be drunk or anything of the sort. He didn't see any sort of alcoholic drinks around.

Once he was sure she was out of sight, Connor felt the urge to go and see what the papers were. He knew that he shouldn't, but something called him to. This woman was his foster mother, and a very good one, at that. Whatever was causing her this much distress must be something bad, and if it affected her, it affected him and Alexis as well. Eventually, curiosity took the best of him, and he tiptoed towards the papers on the table, knowing that he would probably get caught, but not caring.

He crouched in front of the table and started shuffling through the papers. There were three in total, all of them looking very official and very legal. He had no clue what they could mean, but he did see Grace's name several times over.

That is, until he read the phrase "divorce forms."

Now that he recalled correctly, the time Brittany had visited she had been worried if Grace would be able to provide for three children.

And she had said it would've been different before the divorce.

Now Connor was genuinely concerned and interested. He started reading through the papers, and little by little, a lot of things started making sense.

Upon his readings, Connor discovered that Grace was married, to a man named Hank Green. They were spouses for over seven years, and they adopted Mikey when they were five years into the marriage. Apparently, this divorce had officially taken place up to a year ago. That meant that it had been around a year and half since this man had left.

Connor had no idea.

The papers weren't the only thing on the table. Connor found a picture, one that seemed to have been a little bit wrinkled and rather old. He picked it up. The same man that had been in some other pictures in the house was in it, playing with the same brown and white dog he had seen. Connor flipped the picture around, and on its backside he found the words "Hank and Goose" written in blue pen.

Connor took out the picture of his family from his pocket, just as wrinkled as the one on his hand. Him, his parents and his three siblings together in a shot in what used to be his early childhood home. He sat down on the couch behind him, and compared the two pictures, one in each hand.

Two images of memories that no longer mattered.

Two pictures of people who were no longer there.

-"... Connor?"

Connor slowly raised his gaze and met his eyes with Grace's bloodshot ones. She was standing a few feet away from him, holding her right arm with her left. And when he saw her eyes, he saw something he thought he'd never see in a foster parent's eyes in his life, and something he hoped from that moment on he'd never have to see again.

He saw misery.

-"Connor, sweetie..."—she said, walking towards him, and squatting in front of him, still tearing up—"You should have told me you were home... Mikey has taken Alexis to a friend's house..."

She caressed Connor's cheek, and Connor didn't push her away. This was too familiar, this tender touch. It was really a mother's touch. Something he never thought he'd feel again.

Grace looked down at the two pictures, and sighed.

-"That's Hank."—she said—"He is Mikey's adopted father. And he was my husband... for a while."

Connor didn't want her to tell him this. He wanted to say she didn't need to do this; that it was ok to cry and to break down. That she didn't need to be strong for the sorry foster kid she was giving so much to.

But the words wouldn't leave her mouth.

-"I hadn't heard of him in a very long time... Not for about a year, since the divorce got finished at least..."—she said—"But recently I got a call from his lawyer. And... Listen, Mikey doesn't know this, but... Hank has made an official request to court..."

Grace didn't keep on talking. Whatever it was that she didn't want to say must have been too painful to say. But they had gotten that far, and Connor wanted her to get to the bottom of this now, because it had become clear she needed it. He placed both photos on the table, and then cupped Grace's hands in his, squeezing them and making sure she got the message. She was breathing unevenly, but after a few seconds she got to speak again.

-"... He has started the legal process, so that in few months at most he will no longer be Mikey's father... legally speaking. I... I will be his only parent now."

Connor's frown was more of shock rather than anything. Grace saw it and smirked, clearly gotten over the crying part.

-"You see it wasn't good enough for him. Adopting. He wanted a 'real' baby."—she said, air quoting—"We kept trying but I just never got pregnant. And then, one day I went to a doctor and found out that... I couldn't. It got me really bad. And then, a month or so after that, I walked on him cheating on me... I kicked him out that night."

And then, Connor realized a story that was too hard to tell.

A story of a woman who fell in love with a man, and of young love that was too soon and too perfect to see the consequences life gives you. He saw two people who didn't have any kids, God knows why, and then got one together and became a family. And then, he saw the man leaving for good, leaving the woman and the boy behind in the rain. And then years later a paper arrives at the house, saying that not only does he not want to do anything with her, but with the boy either.

And in the few seconds that it took for Connor to learn that story, he learned to hate that man as well.

-"... That's Goose. She is our dog."—Grace said, smiling at the image of the dog that was with the man—"Was... he took her with him, to New York. I haven't seen her since, and he won't let me have her. I would have fought for her but I couldn't afford a lawyer, and I put all my efforts in keeping Mikey... we... we lost the house we used to live in, but I kept this one. This... this was my parent's house when they used to live here, in Yule..."

Grace stopped all of the sudden, whipping off the few tears she had left, and clapping her hands once.

-"Oh my God I must be boring you to sleep... that's a nice picture, Connor... Is that...?"

-"... This was my family."—Connor said—"Before I... I became a foster kid."

-"... It is such a nice picture."

After a moment of silence, Grace patted Connor's leg and stood up.

-"Gosh you must be hungry, being out all day! Let me make you something to eat—!"

But, as soon as she was by the kitchen door, she was crying. For real this time. All the pressure, the parenting and the staying strong was too much for a single night. Connor stood up immediately, and walked towards Grace. Slowly, nervously and shaking a little, he wrapped his arms around her, and embraced her as she wept.

After a few minutes, Connor walked the still weeping Grace through the house to the second floor, and into her bedroom. He tucked her in her bed, and covered her with a checkered red and green blanket she kept by the edge of her bed. She kept weeping, but tried to get up.

-"No... No, I have to make dinner for... for you and for Mikey and Alexis and—"

-"You don't have to do anything."—Connor said, gently pushing her to lie down—"I will order in food. All you need to do is rest."

Grace shook her head.

-"No, no I can't ask you to do this. This is my job, this is what I signed up for."

-"No buts."—Connor said flatly—"Rest. Sleep in, and take the day off tomorrow. Just... rest."

And even though she kept complaining and trying to get out of her bed, Grace did eventually grew too tired, and fell asleep. Connor turned off her lights and exited the room, closing the door behind him slowly so that he wouldn't wake her up, and hoped that the sound of rain would soothe her enough through the night.

When Connor had said he'd take care of everything, he meant it. He put all the clothes in the laundry to be washed, set all the alarms for school the next day, and ordered in two large pizzas on the phone, which arrived just in time. He then took all of Grace's divorce paperwork and passed it under her bedroom door, alongside with the photo of Hank and Goose. Though he wanted to burn it, he figured it was better for Grace to have that with her for now.

By the time Mikey and Alexis had gotten home, neither of them suspected a thing. Connor told them she was tired and needed to go to bed early, and that was the end of story.

That was, until later into the night, when Connor was already in bed, unable to sleep at all. Mikey exited the bathroom in his pajamas and got into bed, but didn't turn off his lamplight. Connor was facing away from him, but something seemed to keep both of them awake. Although Connor was fully aware of what it was for him, he had no clue whatsoever on what could be on Mikey's mind.

After a few minutes of silence, Mikey spoke up.

-"... You know, Grace really likes you and Alexis."

Connor didn't respond. With all that had gone down that day, he didn't know if he could have that conversation.

-"Listen I don't know what has been going on with you this week."—Mikey kept going, choosing his words carefully—"But it's been worrying her a lot."

Connor realized it was pointless to stay silent, so he rolled over and looked directly at Mikey. Mikey kept talking.

-"Is everything... you know... alright for you, staying here?"

-"... Yes."—Connor said—"Yes, absolutely."

-"Because"—Mikey said—", I know she can be very clumsy and sometimes awkward but... but she is the best person I know in this god damned world."

Connor knew then that Mikey was speaking from the bottom of his heart, and that he spoke only the truth.

-"She took me in when I had no one."—he said—"And I have not been anything but a burden... I... I just wanted to ask you... if there is something bothering you please just give her a break. She tries. So much. And she's very, very brave..."

Connor nodded.

-"I know."—Connor said, rolled over again, and closed his eyes—"... She's the bravest person I've ever met."

A few seconds after, Mikey turned off his lamplight, and imitated his roommate. The sound of rain hushed them down to sleep, ending the day at Grace's house.

---

The falling leaves and the constant drizzle announced September, and the days turned grayer each second that passed.

Friday had come, and now Connor was standing with the rest of his class in front of the school's main gate, waiting for Mr. Cole and for the bus that would drive them to their campout in the woods of Lake Yule. The entire class was quite excited, talking amongst themselves and showing each other their raincoats and stuff they had brought for the weekend. It was silly though, since they would most likely avoid swimming in the Lake with how cold the weather was being, and how stupid it'd be to try to smoke cigarettes in a school trip knowing that their teacher not only hated said practice but was also very careful to detect it. Overall, the teenage spirit could be smelled miles away.

Connor had walked away from turmoil for a bit though, and went below a musky tree whose leaves were already falling down. Currently, he was with Grace on the phone, discussing how he'd probably run out of battery at some point.

-"... Yeah but there's Mr. Cole's emergency phone."—Connor explained—"Like it said on the form I gave you..."

-"I'm just glad you checked up, Connor."—Grace said from the other end of the line, sounding relieved—"I'm sorry if last night I seemed a bit... you know..."

Even though he was fully aware she couldn't see him, he shook his head and went on talking.

-"No, no, of course not..."—he said—"Please don't apologize. You're doing so much for me and Alexis."

-"You two are doing so much for me as well, Connor. And for Mikey, too. You just don't know how much."

Connor smiled to himself and to Grace on the phone. This was probably his first ever real talk with her. It felt nice.

-"I have to go now, bus may be leaving..."

-"Ok, Connor. Have a safe trip. And don't forget to do all the assignments! Oh, and have fun while you're at it!"

Connor rolled his eyes at Grace's idea of fun.

-"Sure, sure... do you mind telling Alexis and Mikey hi for me?"

-"Oh, sure! Do you want to talk to them?"

Connor was about to say yes, but he tentatively looked to a side and saw Lilly heading his way with uneasy steps, and for the first time a bit scared to approach him.

-"Oh, no, it's fine... I have to go. See you on Sunday."

-"See you, Connor."

By the time he had hung up Lilly had already caught up with him. He grinned at her and she grinned back, but that didn't really stop the awkwardness.

-"Hey, there, lunch buddy..."—she greeted—"Just wanted to check on you..."

-"... Yeah."—Connor said—"Sorry if I've been... off, you know."

-"It's alright."—Lilly nodded—"I suppose stuff happens... if you don't want to talk about it I get it."

-"... I promise it's nothing."

The two of them walked back together towards the crew, slowly so that they still had the chance to talk without being heard.

-"Augh I can't wait to share tents with Alexa!"—Lilly announced, sarcasm all over her voice—"It's going to be so much fun!"

-"It could really be worse."—Connor said—"Alexa of all people doesn't seem to be the most annoying... if you know what I mean."

-"Ok, I'll give you that. At least we're lucky she doesn't go to this class..."

Lilly giggled and Connor scoffed. It had become sort of their thing when it came down to talking about Lia in code. Connor never had the chance to confront Troye about her teasing Alexis in drama club, but he figured he wouldn't have to as long as she didn't go any further. Besides, he didn't feel like he was in a place to tell him such a thing.

-"Huh. Speaking of the devil..."—Lilly said, making Connor notice Troye saying his goodbyes to Lia, who was apparently seeing him off to the trip.

The two of them were standing by a fountain a little bit secluded from the rest of the kids, so that nobody would see them, Connor figured. They were holding hands and Lia kept playing with Troye's curls.

-"I don't get it..."—Connor said—"Aren't they supposed to not be dating...?"

-"That's bull you know."—Lilly answered—"I mean it was true at first, but at this point they are pretty much a couple again."

Lilly's statement became ten times truer when they kissed goodbye, and Lia started walking away from the school. Troye stood there for a while, watching her walk. Connor scoffed under his breath, for never had he seen something so cheesy.

After about a minute of staring at his feet and Connor and Lilly looking at him from a distance, Troye seemed to get out of his trance and look back at them. At Connor, really. He grinned at Connor, but didn't walk in his direction, instead taking the way back to the bus. Just like they had done the first day they saw each other, at that gas station under the rain. Green eyes meet Blue from a distance, and kept to themselves, look away.

The two of them would be sharing a tent for two days and Connor still wasn't able to talk to him. And that only meant trouble was bound.

However, Lilly had seen what happened, and her six sense started tingling at the instant. She stood in front of Connor and looked at him questioningly.

-"... What?"—Connor asked.

-"... Nothing."—Lilly said, smiling at her friend—"We should go to the bus with the rest of the guys. They're probably be leaving soon, and I want to grab a seat close enough to Caspar to steal his gummy bears."

Connor raised his eyebrows.

-"Caspar eats gummy bears...?"

-"Oh, it's all he ever eats on road trips."

Whatever Lilly had suspected, she let it go, and the two of them made their way back to the bus as well, ready for what would be a long weekend. Much longer than what they could imagine.

---

A/N

Heeeeeeey!!! 'Sup?

... Are those guns?

... And pitchforks...?

PLEASE DON'T I HAVE A FAMILY

*Runs away from angry mob that wants to rip off his guts*

I know! I know! It's sad! But not all will be sad! I promise!

Besides, I need to expand the universe of the characters. There are things that are bound to come. Other than that, this chapter is pretty much a filler one, but the next couple of ones are very very VERY important. So stay tuned to that.

When I may update them is a mystery to me still, but I'll tryyyy to have one at least by Friday. No promises though. I know that me updating this soon is also a huge mystery but like I said my schedule is going to be a biiiiiit crazy for the time being, at least until I find a better one. So TAKE THE UPDATE AND DEAL WITH IT.

So, do you think Grace is doing well by trying to take care of three kids while having all of this emotional stress on her? And do you think that knowing this, Connor has changed his point of view on her?

See ya soon, you crazy lot!

--Coffee

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

91.9K 2.8K 29
*Completed* "Don't talk, don't stand, don't look," i repeat in my thoughts as all the vampires walked by my cage and looked at me, i stayed in the co...
158K 3.6K 61
imagines as taylor swift as your mom and travis kelce as your dad
300K 21K 156
Tác phẩm: Toàn thế giới đều đang đợi người động tâm. Tác giả: Tố Tây Người gõ: Mia của bạn nè Beta: Hoa Hoa của bạn đây Ý là truyện này gõ nhanh quá...
4.5K 61 7
15 years ago, the talented thief Jack Dawkins was caught and arrested in London. Luckily Dawkins, better known amongst his fellow pickpockets as the...