The Exchange Student ➵ phan

By creativity-at-best

Dan Howell takes up a opportunity to travel halfway across the world to be an exchange student. Phil Lester i... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18

Chapter 13

9.2K 529 1.2K
By creativity-at-best

Four hours of no sleep later the alarm on my phone vibrates by my ear. Signalling the clock's change to 12.

I haven't slept, I tried and failed hundreds of times but my mind was working too fast. Each time my eyes shut a new set of possibilities came to mind, none of which I was looking forward too.

Turning off the alarm I rubbed my eyes and sat up. I hadn't even changed into pajamas, much too nervous he would just barge in here on the dot. Yet it's been at least a minute and I'm still safe so once again, my perspective of Phil is slightly off.

I crack my back before standing and smoothing out my plain black t shirt. I don't have to dress fancy for this do I?

Ah who cares, the last time I went to a party I was in my fucking PJ's.

Yawning and leaning against the wall I unhook my phone from it's charger and stick my headphones in my pocket. Just in case.

Weirdly right now I'm grateful for the night about a week ago where Phil decided that hating me was a good choice. At least now I know Lyda and Harold sleep like rocks.

I open my door as slowly as possible, a tremor runs through me at the sight of the pitch black hallway.

Dark places never were my forte.

A car drives by, light sliding across the hallway and music rocking through the house. The light suddenly stops in the middle. The hum of the engine disappearing.

Oh my god they're outside. Is this Phil's plan or am I about to get kidnapped and killed for my organs?

Come on Dan, stop being so theatrical.

Hurrying across the hall I gently push Phil's bedroom door open.

Only to find him fast asleep on his bed, arms cuddling a pillow and snoring. Loudly.

"Of course." I mutter under my breath and walk over to him.

Phil was only dressed in his boxers and most of his face was covered by strands of hair.

I simultaneously cringed and blushed just from looking at him. My eyes traveled to the water bottle on his tableside, a grin spread over my face at the sight.

Now, I'm not the evilest of people. This is only happening for two reasons, Phil ruined my beauty sleep, and I kind of hate him for sleeping through 12 o'clock like an asshole.

So I popped off the lid, not planning on pouring a lot, just a little to wake him up.

The bottle hovers over his head and I carefully pull the top off, tilting it forward.

A sudden honking fills the house and I gasp in surprise, the bottle moving down all the way. My eyes fly to it in horror, feeling the pint of water rushing forward towards the neck of the bottle.

Why me?

Most of the water splashes across Phil's neck and shoulders, some staining the pillow and his hair turns a shade darker.

Oh no oh no oh no.

Every time.

I pull the water back and cap it. With no other option I toss the bottle behind me into the closet, Uma Turman's disappointed look buried in my soul.

"What th- Dan?"

"P-ph! Do y-you know how much you d-rool in your sleep!" I exclaim, no other direction to go.

Phil glances down at his pillow and groans. "A lot apparently."

I nod, over the moon my plan went along perfectly and Phil doesn't seem to notice my discontent.

The car honks again and I squeak in surprise.

"Fuck I overslept!" Phil whispers in a raised voice and shoves his blanket away with his feet.

My hands fly to cover my eyes instantly. "Could you like... not?" I mutter and hear him chuckle.

"Like you haven't seen it before."

After a couple seconds of Phil clambering about he says. "There, you are safe."

I smile and remove my hands. Turning to see Phil pulling a leather jacket over his black t-shirt with two wolves eyes in the middle.

"You're really wearing that?" He asks, his eyes trailing from my Pokemon sweats to my shirt covered in toothpaste stains and sweat marks - seriously, the Lester's need a damn air conditioner. Or, at least, everyone in Britain does.

"Yes?" I answer but it's more of a question.

"Nah ah." He starts to dig around his closet again and I shudder as memories of it fill my head.

"So what are we, doing exactly?"

"We." Phil starts, walking out of the closet with two tops in hand. "Are going to have fun."

"Then why the hell am I going?"

Phil chuckles, holding one of the shirts up to my chest, a cream colored one covered in moths. Then the next one, a black one covered in white Victorian designs.

"I need an accomplice to shoulder the blame." He admits, his words sharp and filled with bile. No doubt remembering what happened just hours ago.

I flinch at the sound of his voice and Phil nonchalantly squeezes my forearm like I'm made of glass. He tosses the black shirt on the bed and gives me the moth one. "Here, I'll get you some jeans. We look around the same size."

Nodding I unbutton the shirt, slipping my arm through one sleeve to test it. It fits like I glove and I smile. It's quite a cute shirt if I'm honest.

I take it off and grab the hem of my shirt.

Hesitantly my gaze shoots over to the closet where Phil is looking for a pair of dirty jeans.

I can probably get this over with before he returns.

Quickly I shove the shirt over my head, tossing it on the black and grey bedspread - which I, admittedly, like much better than my green and blue one - maybe I'll steal it, if Phil and I can ever become friends.

I'm starting to pull the first sleeve on when another honk sounds. I squeak in surprise and jump a mile when I turn around to see Phil suddenly behind me.

His eyes shoot up to meet mine and I smile nervously. "Who is it outside anyway? They're going to wake up the Lester's."

Phil is at a complete loss of words for a few seconds. His eyes drilling into mine and cheeks deep red.

"El-lery."

"Dammit Phil." I keep myself from snapping, the awkwardness of the moment forgotten as anger takes over my senses. "How the hell do you expect things to get better when this is how you act?"

"You sound like my mum." Phil mutters to himself, his arms crossed and blush dissipating. "And - for your information - I like to fuck Dan. A lot. It's basically what teenagers do, and when you find somebody with no strings attached. It's the perfect fit."

I roll my eyes and start to button the shirt. "It's not perfect when they hurt you at even the chance of being caught, it's not perfect when they make you sad every time they're finished using you. What you haven't isn't perfect Phil, it never was."

Phil gets quiet after that, leaning against the doorframe and gazing at the wood floor. "You straight boys always act like we have a choice. Like you can just pull a girlfriend out a hat and have them like you. It's infuriating."

I roll my eyes for the second time today and finish up the buttons. "You're a hypocrite you know that? You act like you know people so well and are on top of things but here you are, not even right about my sexuality."

The words make my legs grow numb and I sit down to avoid falling. I didn't know coming out non-internet would be so hard.

Phil freezes, his entire body tenses almost like a cat and his gaze flutters to mine. "W-w-? Really?"

I can't speak, dryness fills my throat and a ball begins to grow. This is so scary oh my god. Finally I force myself to nod and Phil makes a sound between a gasp and a whimper. "Pan."

Another honk shakes us both and Phil groans. "Whatever. Wear the jeans, meet me outside."

He starts towards the window and I grab his arm. "Wait. You aren't going to say anything?"

"Uh... I'm proud of you. Have fun fucking whoever you see fit, and yeah... le go."

"Wait I haven't got the jeans on."

Phil groans and stops in his tracks, he turns slightly to face me. "Well hurry it up then."

"Turn around at least!" I flinch at the shrill in my voice and Phil turns to face the wall.

"Alright alright. Just move fast." He says before tacking on. "Please."

I hurry to shove my jeans down my legs, blindly grabbing the jeans. My hand slips and I squeak when my face plummets into the sheets.

Phil giggles in front of me and I groan into the sheets.

"Don't look at me."

"Wasn't planning on it."

I push myself up so my back is straight. My cheeks burn from the compromising positions I was stuck in moments before.

A few seconds later I zip up the jeans and whisper. "Okay, ready."

Phil nods and turns around, his cheeks flushed all over again.

"Now how are we going to sneak out?"

"That's for me to know and you to find out."

-~-

Twenty minutes later Phil shrieked in terror, running across the fencing. I laughed my ass off, positioned on the other side. Watching as Phil was chased by a tiny black and white kitten.

He shoved the fence door open and pushed it shut just before the cat could escape.

"Now that, was interesting." I said between giggles and Phil pushes my shoulder.

"But we got out didn't we?"

I roll my eyes and a red truck pulls up behind me. Both Phil and I pile into the bed. The cab filled.

"Glad you could finally join us mate." Somebody slides that back window open.

Phil talks to them while I pull bits of styrofoam and shaving cream out of my hair. Damn shame, I only straightened it an hour ago.

"Glad we got away with our lives there." Phil laughs and all the boys in the car join in.

"I thought Fiona was going to kill you! The look on her face when you pulled out the crazy string!"

I giggled to myself, memories of our daring adventure moments ago filling my head.

"Legend mate, pure legend."

"Where are we going now?" Phil asks, using his shirt's corner to swab the pool water out of his ear.

"Justin has some shit at his house that's supposed to be real good."

Phil leans back on the truck's side. He stretched out so his legs intertwined with mine.

I yawned and groaned as a mosquito landed on my wrist.

"We should have brought bug spray." I mutter to Phil and he raises an eyebrow. Slapping the insect as hard as I can.

"We won't be outside for long." His hand reached out into nothing, creating waves as the air flew past it.

"Yeah but my arm is probably fucked from the woods." I claim and scratch up my arm, checking to see if a bump have already begun to surface.

Phil nods and continues to move his arm.

"You know a car's going to tear your arm off if you keep doing that."

"Oh come on. It's fun." Phil insists and creates a wider wave. "I can only do it so many times a year."

I choose not to comment back. Instead setting my head on the cab of the car and wincing every time it bumps.

"Where exactly is Justin's anyway?" 

"He lives in the country so we'll be a while. Just take a nap of something." Phil muses.

"Um no thank you." I say, the car jumping into the air as it hits another patch of rocks.

Suddenly Phil jerks his arm back, a choked gasp flying from his throat, he ricochets forward, arm cradled to his chest. A flash of white and yellow zips past us, along with the loud motor of a car.

"Did yo-"

"I didn't see it."

I try my hardest, staring straight at the floor and covering my mouth. I feel like my chest is going to explode but it's better than Phil punching me in the face.

Eventually the car jerks to a stop and my body jolts forward, I grab the back rail at the last second and sigh in relief.

Phil jumps over the side and lands on the grass with a soft plop. "You coming? Or are you finally taking up that nap offer?"

I roll my eyes and hurtle over the side, landing perfectly on my feet. Thank god.

"What exactly do you do here?" I dare to ask, trailing Phil. We fall behind as the group enters a small farmhouse, cheers echoing through the silent night.

"Stuff. You'll be fine if you just stick by me." He grabs the cheery red door and pulls it open. "And also, don't talk."

I roll my eyes heavily, following into the neat space. Yellow walls with white molding. Creaky dark boards, few family pictures and the ones that were there included forced smiles and empty spaces between the two, brothers? I think so. They look young.

A crash from the hallway before us and I jump surprise, gasping.

Phil chuckles and walks towards the noise.

"Do you drink. Is that a thing you do?"

"I'm not a fucking alien Phil."

"I know, surprisingly I learn things. I was just wondering aloud."

I groan mentally and stay close to Phil's side, walking towards the door with light shining from the cracks. Another screech and cackle erupting.

"Are they already drunk?"

"I don't doubt it."

"Phil. They drove us here." I emphasis and force myself myself to not hit him over the head.

"And we're not dead so. Go us." Phil lead me through the door to a shabby kitchen with dirty tiles and splintered cabinets.

Crowded around the island sat five to seven boys. All joking, shoving each other around and the smell of booze wafting off their bodies.

Basically before us was my worst nightmare. An obnoxious gang of straight white boys that I was surprised could even function with the empty bottles in the garbage can.

Phil struts up to the gang, falling in between a boy with black hair and one with brown. Directly across from a face that looks far to familiar.

Fuck. No.

The closer I get the easier it is to make out the boys face. Ellery? Again? Can't Phil just slap him in a small yet busy cafe and get on with his life?

But I guess I can't judge something by how little I know of it.

Like hell am I going to ask Phil though.

I sandwich myself between Phil and the brown haired boy, flashing Ellery an innocent smile. Pretending not to see the death glare boring into my skin.

"Who's this?" A boy with hair that covered most of his eyes and forehead motions to me.

The groups eyes settle upon Phil and I. Silently I pray the twins aren't here and Phil is ready to save my ass.

"If he didn't come with I would have gotten in trouble for leaving." He shrugs and looks down at the white countertop.

I give the group a minuscule wave, turning my attention to the array of red cups placed before us.

"He's the new exchange student my mother wouldn't shut up about." I can feel Phil's shoulder bob against mine and my face gets hotter.

I can feel their eyes digging into my skin, making me shiver and cough into my fist. "Hi."

A chorus of hello's, yo's and hi's hits my ears. At a much too high velocity to separate for each person. I sneak a glance to find them immersed in the cups again and let myself breathe. This isn't so bad. Just be invisible.

"What are we playing again?" One of the kids, a boy dressed in a backwards snapback and striped tank top, drunkenly slurs.

"Flippy cup. Basically you drink the entire cup, place it on the side of the table and try to flip it until you get to the end of the line." One of the guys explains the game clicks with me. Oh this is easy.

Phil nudges my shoulder and gives me a look.

"I got it."

He nods and turns back to the group, watching as the cups around us start getting filled.

"So... Howell? Is it?"

I make a low hum, hoping that will get the point across and my gaze travels to a boy with blond hair swept in a surfer's fringe and bright blue eyes. shit.

"So you're the kid that my mom's been pestering me about." He smirks and a rush of hate, jealously, and lowkey appreciativeness because he is quite hot.

"I guess."

I shrug loosely and focus on the last two cups being filled.

"Good luck." Ellery whispers and I look up just in time to see him winking at Phil.

A hot flare of hate and something indescribable fills my bones. I can't even begin to pinpoint it.

"And... go!"

Most of the people before us are good, they successfully flip the cup in a few seconds and smile, waxed as hell. We must be with the sporty kids. Why the hell would Phil even be in these guys group? Does he just hop clique to clique without a care?

I snap out of it as the cheers as yells grow closer. I glance and see Phil tipping the red plastic back, adam's apple bobbing along and eyes half shut.

My gaze is so trained on his neck that I almost forget I'm actually playing the game.

He flips the cup with a little grin and everyone turns to me.

Fuck.

My gaze moves to were Ellery has grabbed his drink and a shot of jealousy runs through me, filling my veins and sending my brain into overdrive.

Alright Ellery, fuck off.

I tip my head back, downing the nearly full cup down my throat. Immensely thankful for my nearly non existent gag reflex. It taste like hell at first hit but soon the burning bubbles cancel themselves out and I slam my cup upside down.

Somehow, to everyone's surprise. I push my finger beneath the cup's rim and flip it, the cup lands upside down, tethering forwards. I pray to my lucky stars and watch in slow motion as the cup balances itself.

Perfect.

I watch smugly as everyone turns on Ellery, screaming at him to hurry up. Our last guy falls into a coughing fit as he taps his drink, somehow he and Ellery flip there cups at the last time. Both landing bottom up, Ellery with one guy left.

It felt nice - extremely nice - to watch as Ellery's team screamed at him. Though I can't exactly pinpoint why.

"Dan! How did you do that!" Phil clasps my shoulder and I grin at him.

"I've done this a thousand times and I had someone I wanted to fuck over." I answer, giggly.

Phil tips his head to the side and furrows his eyebrows. "Uh, cool then. Who was it?"

"That. Is a secret." I smile wider, god, I forgot how much of a light weight I was.

Phil looks me over again before he sighs and turns towards the main group. "Again?"

-~-

-~-

Please note that each chapter of this is 3000 words MINIMUM and well I know its sad to wait but sometimes that number is daunting. Especially now that school has started up and my workload has begun to bear down on me.

Besides that HOLY SHIT WATTPAD PUT ONE OF MY STORIES ON THEIR PHANFIC LIST HOLY HELL I CANT BREATH???!!! It was so surprising I wasn't prepared in the slightest. ITS UNDERNEATH MISFIT EVERYONE GO READ IT ITS CALLED THE HUMAN MASTERPIECE.

Anyway, ahh this is so short I'm sorry. I've been working on school all day and we ran the track and PE and yeah, I've been tired.

It's the first time you're seeing me since school started! Aw, hello if you've never seen during school me. Hint: im a mess.

is everyone having fun with there school/summer/backpacking through Europe? I hope so.

Stay happy. Stay giggly. Stay strong. See you Sunday with some drunk D + P.

🏮🏮

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

124K 4.9K 40
𝗜𝗡 𝗪𝗛𝗜𝗖𝗛 noura denoire is the first female f1 driver in 𝗗𝗘𝗖𝗔𝗗𝗘𝗦 OR 𝗜𝗡 𝗪𝗛𝗜𝗖𝗛 noura denoire and charle...
655K 20.9K 41
တရားဝင် ပိုဆိုင်ခွင့်ရဖို့ ကြိုးစားမိရုံ လေးပါ. လိမ်ညာပြီး အပိုင်ယူမိတဲ့ အတွက်... ...မ ကို မမုန်းလိုက်ပါနဲ့....
861K 45.6K 32
It's the 2nd season of " My Heaven's Flower " The most thrilling love triangle story in which Mohammad Abdullah ( Jeon Jungkook's ) daughter Mishel...
857K 39.9K 171
𝒊𝒏 𝒘𝒉𝒊𝒄𝒉 the boy who lived falls for the girl who had no one