Algid (#TronnorAU)

Da CoffeeForTheSoul

"Let me tell you the story, about what happens when a heart as cold as ice meets one made of gold." What happ... Altro

Introduction/Explanation
Prologue
Chapter 1: Welcome to Yule Town
Chapter 2: The first day
Chapter 3: Mysterious gas station kid
Chapter 4: The first walk
Chapter 5: Call it a truce
Chapter 6: Cool kids
Chapter 7: Grace's gifts
Chapter 8: A new friend
Chapter 9: Tryouts
Chapter 11: Little Johannesburg
Chapter 12: The Blue House
Chapter 13: Rain
Chapter 14: "Don't ask"
Chapter 15: Green-chested Sparrow
Chapter 16: "Don't tell"
Chapter 17: Red
Chapter 18: September boys
Chapter 19: The birthday parties
Chapter 20: Touch
Chapter 21: The other side of the field
Chapter 22: The Gingerbread man
Chapter 23: Beneath the tomato stand
Chapter 24: First move
Chapter 25: Ghosts
Chapter 26: Andrew Graham Foundation
Chapter 27: Mikey's family
Chapter 28: After dark
Chapter 29: "You do care"
Chapter 30: A work in progress
Chapter 31: Trick-or-Treat
Chapter 32: Alexis in Wonderland
Chapter 33: The Thanksgiving Festival
Chapter 34: After a long time
Chapter 35: The silver wristwatch
Chapter 36: The old building on Genevieve Street
Chapter 37: Eyes of mischief
Chapter 38: "It's over"
Chapter 39: "We don't kiss"
Chapter 40: The feeling of being burned
Chapter 41: Connor, cold as ice
Chapter 42: Down to skin and bones
Chapter 43: Into the birdcage
Chapter 44: Thicker than blood
Chapter 45: "No matter how long it takes."
Chapter 46: The City of Lakes
Chapter 47: Too Good
Chapter 48: Ease
Chapter 49: The trial of the Queen of Hearts
Chapter 50: No such thing as happy endings
Epilogue
Goodbyes/Appreciations

Chapter 10: Mr. Cole's science project

8.8K 353 730
Da CoffeeForTheSoul

Usually, whenever Ms. Taylor, or Brittany, like she insisted Connor and Alexis to call her (there was something about not being married yet that seemed to bug her off a tad too much), it meant bad or very bad news. The two of them had arranged a ritual of sorts to deal with such times. Involuntarily, that is.

The first one to fret would be Alexis, like usual. She would normally do her homework as soon as she got back from school into the foster home, but as soon as the news that Ms. Taylor-or Brittany, was arriving, she would push it all aside and instead walk around the house without talking to anyone or doing anything at all. Her red beanie which she never took off for anything in the world would collect dust as she paced around aimlessly trying to seek out some sort of stress relief. Then, Connor would notice, and in attempts to calm her down he would take her to the kitchen and prepare her a glass of warm milk. Even if they hadn't had any supper yet. Consequently, Connor would be stressed out because he hates all forms of dairy.

Then, of course, it would be time to eat, and Alexis would eat from stress as if she had skipped the meals of the entire week. While Connor, on the other hand, would be physically unable to even grazing his plate. After whoever was in charge grew tired from trying to make him it, the two of them would be sent to their rooms to be put to bed. Alexis would fall right away from exhaustion of who knows what, while Connor wouldn't be able to sleep. At all.

On the next morning, he would be up first before anyone else, already packing his bags. He was already all too used to this entire process, and he had by no means any interest in delaying the inevitable. Alexis would run into him packing, break down and cry, and he would try to comfort her. And then, Ms. Taylor-Brittany, would arrive, and before she even had the chance to say hello, the two of them would already be outside the house and inside the car that would drive them to the next bus station, or the next house, or the next train.

All of it had become a skit the three of them had learned well.

But, that Saturday morning Connor and Alexis had forgotten that Ms. Taylor was going to visit them at Grace's house. And they surely were beyond shocked to find her having a nice cup of tea with Grace in their living room, wearing her trademark floral blouse, red leather gloves, white pants and yellow heels which would look ridiculous on any grown woman but that on her, for some reason nobody can explain, looked not only natural but astounding. She wore her black wavy hair loose, except for a bright red headband that highlighted her blue eyes and her infectious smile.

She and Grace seemed to be having the most naturally pleasant conversation ever. Even Grace, who had to be the single most awkward adult Connor had ever seen in his entire life, seemed to be more at ease when around Brittany. Well, that was the effect she usually had on people.

-"Oh, kids!"—Grace said, smiling from ear to ear, still in her pajamas—"I didn't hear you two get up!"

It took a couple of seconds for both Connor and Alexis to react to Grace's greetings, realizing they were both still in their pajamas as well and were even staring blankly at Brittany like she was some sort of wood sprite.

-"Connor! Alexis!"—Brittany greeted from her seat at the fancy cushioned chair—"I'm glad to see the two of you! Look how much you've grown!"

Connor just nodded, whilst Alexis tried to come up with a proper greeting.

-"G-G-Good to see you t-too, Ms. Taylor..."—she stuttered, earning an awkward glance from Grace—"We... sort of... forgot you were c-coming today..."

-"... Yeah..."—Connor said—"We're sorry. We'll go get changed..."

-"Oh, nonsense!"—Brittany called, stopping them from going back upstairs—"Please don't be bothered by my presence; I'm on my way downtown and I promise I won't take any of your time. But Connor I'm glad you're here! There's something Grace and I need to talk about with you."

Before Connor could say anything, Alexis was already speaking on the edge of tears.

-"You're not taking him away! Aren't you!?"—she could barely squeal—"I don't care what you say if he goes I go too—"

-"What? No, of course not!"—Grace said, standing up and giving Alexis a hug to calm her down—"Nobody's going anywhere... right Brittany?"

-"Yes, Alexis, that is correct."—said the social worker, before laying her teacup down on the table and looking back at Grace and the kids—"In fact, I come here with good news."

Connor's heart skipped a beat. Of all the things he had heard Brittany tell either him or Alexis before, despite how kind she was and how genuinely good were her intentions, 'good news' had never formed a part of the spectrum before. This was a big change, and a good one, at that.

-"I think we should all sit down."—Grace said—"Come on kids, take a seat, and I'll go fetch everyone something warm to drink... it's really cold this morning... and once Mikey is up we can all have breakfast! Would you like some waffles, Brittany?"

-"Oh, no, dear, thank you so much, but I'm afraid I'm in quite a hurry. I have to get Connor's papers done today."

-"Papers?"—Connor asked, taking a seat besides Alexis on the big couch—"What... papers?"

-"Well, first off, I'd like you to know that I've been informed about... the latest incidents this past couple of weeks."

Connor felt the need to speak up and defend his acting, explaining that it was to stop a no-good brat from bullying Alexis, but Brittany beat him to it by raising her hand and smiling.

-"Don't worry Connor, I know the whole story."—she said, then proceeding—"I am not getting involved. I think the measures the school has taken are the most appropriate, and I support the guidance counselor's point of view on the subject. She will be reporting directly to me now, but you don't have to worry about a thing."

Connor let out a sigh of relief and rested his head on his hands. That meant that, at least, he wasn't going to get moved away or sent to juvie.

-"However."—Brittany went on—"I'm afraid you are playing with fire, Connor. If you get involved in any more violent acts, you will most likely have to attend group counseling with other foster kids. Or even be sent to a different establishment."

At this, Alexis spoke first.

-"But, you just said he could stay!"

-"And he can."—Brittany explained calmly—"I'm not saying Connor will have to move out. But if something else happens, he will have to. For some time under probation. Nothing permanent, of course. But it's very likely he would have to spend a couple of months in a supervised home for foster kids before the authorities find it appropriate for him to return here."

Brittany's words were marked on Connor's skull. He knew what a supervised home meant. It meant the trouble kids and the chances of him ever getting a proper education or a job reduced to nothing. He would come back to Alexis, but he wouldn't be able to make anything of his life once he had been placed there. He made a mental note; starting now, he would have to do more than just behave.

-"Here's your tea, kids."—said Grace, giving each a cup before taking her seat again—"Don't drink it if it's too hot!"

-"Anyhow, I have, like I said, some good news."—Brittany announced.

Connor and Alexis stared at her expectantly. Whatever news it was, it had to be something big for her to stop by and have a proper meeting with them and Grace. And if it was good, neither of them had a clue on what it had to be.

-"I have worked with Grace before."—Brittany said—"We've known each other for a while; I was friends with Mikey's social worker around the time he was sent here."

Connor and Alexis nodded, and Brittany went on.

-"And she's a very hard-working woman. Lately she's had ups and downs, but she always manages to pull through. It's truly admirable."

Connor could see Grace blushing awkwardly from the corner of his eye.

-"But naturally fostering is a temporary ordeal, especially when you have a lot on your plate. One child alone is a handful."—Brittany explained—"So, I had to come here to ask Grace personally for how long she thought she could foster the two of you before I had to look for another place... And, I came here to the surprise that she wants to offer the two of you housing for as long as she may provide it!"

The news took a little while to kick in, but as soon as Connor had realized what that meant, a spark appeared in his eye.

-"Which in other words means..."—Brittany trialed off—"That the moving is over for now, kids. It appears we have finally found a stable foster home for the two of you."

-"OH MY GOD!"—Alexis squealed with a look of surprise—"OH MY GOD!"

She turned to Connor and hugged him tightly, and he hugged back.

A stable foster home.

After so many years.

-"This is insane!"—Alexis said—"Do you know what this means!?"

She let go off Connor and then faced Grace, with tears in her eyes.

-"I get to finish school here!"—she exclaimed—"No more moving around! I may have decent SAT grades! This will be so much... easier! Grace...! Thank you...!"

-"You don't have to thank me, Alexis."—Grace said with a genuine smile—"I'm happy to help."

-"I-I-I I have to tell Mikey! I'll go wake him up!"

Alexis squeezed Connor's hand one more time, and then ran upstairs. It had been so long since he'd seen her so hyped, and that made him truly happy. It must have shown, because Brittany noticed.

-"Connor, you're smiling!"—she pointed out—"How sweet!"

-"Hehe... well... this is really great news..."—Connor said, then turning towards Grace—"I don't know how to thank you."

Grace smiled. Connor then took his attention back to Brittany, and went serious.

-"Ok..."—he said sternly—"Now, what are the bad news?"

Brittany shook her head in silence. They knew each other well enough to know when there was an elephant in the room, and this elephant had been going on for quite a while. Almost eighteen years, to be precise.

-"Connor shortly you will be of age."—Brittany said—"In less than a month it's your birthday and you will turn eighteen."

Connor nodded. He didn't like where this was going.

-"That means that the foster care system is no longer responsible of assigning you to a family. In other words, we can't make any foster parent take care of you anymore."

-"... Ok. So what are my choices?"

-"First of all, there's the matter of your studies. Usually foster kids who reach the majority of age are offered public housing and community college fees, which seems to be the way to go. I was thinking of which are the closest schools owned by the state so that you and Alexis could still be together, and I came across—"

-"Wait, there's been a misunderstanding."—Grace interrupted.

Brittany stopped talking, and Connor switched his attention to Grace.

-"When I offered housing to the kids"—she said—"I meant both of them, not just Alexis. Connor is free to stay here for as long as I can provide as well."

Brittany switched her seating position, clearly surprised at the outcome, and Connor raised his eyebrows in surprise.

-"And just like with Alexis, I plan to support him through his remaining years of high school and college."—she said—"And he's welcome to stay here if he wants to."

Brittany seemed to be gathering her thoughts.

-"Well, Grace, I must say"—she said—"that's very kind of you but you are no longer obligated to do this. Two kids is a lot of money, and with your income a third one will be a lot of trouble. It would have been different if this was before the divorce, but now that you are alone, this is a tougher choice to make."

-"Oh, it isn't tough at all."—Grace said—"And it's not even a choice. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if I let Connor on his own. He lives here now, the two of them do."

Grace looked at Connor firmly in the eyes.

-"And I hope they realize that I welcome them with open arms."

The rest of Brittany's meeting wasn't very eventful after that. Not a word of it had been spoken to Alexis, because they all figured she would just worry in vain, and Connor gave Grace a secret thanking smile when nobody was looking.

---

The following week of classes was the official start of Connor's after school swimming lessons and the beginning of regular Math, English and History homework nobody wanted to do. Ms. Ballinger had insisted that they needed to prepare for the SAT and the possible scholarships universities and colleges would send their way starting the end of that year, and that meant they had to work three times as hard to do better. This was a challenge for everyone, but mostly for Joe, who seemed to be the dumb of the crew. Lilly managed to get decent grades and not worry about barely passing anything, so that wasn't an issue.

Connor on his side hated studying, especially mathematics. But it was something he didn't have much choice on whether to do it or not; he was stuck. The last thing he needed was for Ms. Schwartz to start counseling him on his grades on top of all the other subjects they treated on their sessions. The one who managed to be surprisingly good at school was Troye. He managed to ace almost every assignment barely trying at all. It was annoying, really, especially for his friends.

-"It's not bloody fair!"—Joe complained out loud when entering their science class, which had walls filled with charts that explained the anatomy of human beings and various animals—"Besides school and our band I don't have time for anything! I crack my ass studying! Oli gets to do wrestling and Caspar's on the basketball team, but I suck at everything! And even at school!"

-"Oh, come on little Sugg."—Lilly comforted—"It's not that bad. You just have to cut yourself some slack."

-"You're one to talk! You don't give two shits about your grades!"

-"True."—Lilly said—"But I still manage to pass, don't I?"

-"How do you do it!? How does Troye!? He never studies bloody anything and gets straight A's!"

-"Hey."—Troye responded—"It's not like I just lay around either."

-"You might as well! You don't even break a sweat and we peasants have to beg for an extra point on every assignment..."

Connor gave a minor scoff, as he overheard Joe's complaints. He had just taken his seat to their left, and was eyeing his textbook.

-"What's so funny Connor?"—Joe asked—"You're not doing too well either from what I'm seeing."

Connor wasn't one to admit when he was doing badly in grades, which was most of the time. He wasn't one to admit he was doing badly at all. But Joe did have a point; with the latest assignments they were given and the pressure put on him by the system to do well in school in order to be guaranteed a proper professional education added up to harsh amounts. The one who would usually pressure him the most to do well was Alexis, since he barely ever managed to befriend any kids in previous schools. The exception would have to be Ricky, the time they roomed together at their previous foster home. Now that kid did study like a bookworm. He wasn't the brightest or anything, but he did put a lot of effort in his studies. He always told Connor how he dreamed about becoming a social worker when he grew up, just so he could give other foster kids a better opportunity in the system than what he had received. Some of that enthusiasm had rubbed off on Connor, and for a while there he actually managed to get fairly good grades in his classes. But that was over soon after he and Alexis moved out of that home.

-"Yeah you're right."—Connor admitted—"It's true I'm not doing too well."

-"Well then! You see? I'm not the only one!"—Joe announced like it was the best news in the neighborhood, as if it was meant to cheer everyone up.

Troye refrained himself from doing any comments, but Lilly just shook her head.

-"Joe, it's not a good thing you're not doing well in school!"—Lilly scolded—"If you were me my parents would already have sent you to Indian camp and burned all your cd's."

-"Well my dad isn't really that pressuring with school."—Joe explained—"He's more a laid back kind of guy. My mum's a whole different story, but luckily for me, she doesn't live here! So I can manage my own studies!"

Joe laid back on his chair, resting his head on his hands. Lilly smacked him and he tripped over, earning a few laughs from around the class. After he got back on his seat, he went back to talking.

-"So what about you Connor? What do your parents say about...?"

It appeared that it took Joe about three seconds after he started talking to realize what a stupidity he was saying, but Lilly pinched his arm anyway. Everybody went silent, and Connor hated that. He didn't want anyone's pity. It wasn't the first time someone had mistaken him for a kid with parents, he was already used to that feeling of embarrassment. But the last thing he needed was everyone looking at him like he was some hurt puppy. He caught a glance of Troye looking at him with misery on his eyes, and he particularly hated that look in specific.

-"... Sorry, mate."—Joe said—"I forgot..."

-"Don't worry about it."—Connor said—"It's not your fault... really you guys don't have to be so cautious with me. I once had parents too. They were kind of strict with grades, I guess..."

What followed was the world's longest silence, filled with awkwardness. For once it appeared Lilly didn't know what to say, and usually she was the first to come up with the best way to stop awkward silences. However, to Connor's surprise, it was Troye who spoke up suddenly.

-"You know, we could do homework together if you need."—he said—"As a group. And we could all study for tests, too. We always do that anyway."

-"I... I'm not too sure about that."—Connor replied—"I'm really used to studying on my own. I would just slow you guys down..."

-"No! Not at all!"—Troye said, shaking his head and making signs towards Joe and Lilly so that they backed him up, which they did.

-"It's a lot easier to study when we do so together! Troye is great in languages and stuff and I teach everyone math!"—Lilly explained.

-"Yeah besides, you don't have to worry about slowing anyone down, because that's my job!"—Joe said with a snort.

-"We could also team up for group projects and stuff."—Troye said—"Words has it that Mr. Cole has something coming up soon. Maybe he'll tell us today?"

Connor just grinned and looked away, ending the conversation. He really appreciated the concern. Well, not really. He still hated being looked down on like a mess. But it was different with these kids; it was like their concern was not for obligation but genuine. He wasn't sure if it was this town or its weather or what, but it was different with them. Lilly had been nice to him since day one, Joe never backed down from any sort of stupid joke whatsoever, and Troye... well, he was still trying to figure him out. But the fact that he had misjudged the mysterious gas station kid was already well stablished in the past week.

The busted open, and in came running Caspar, who seemed to be lost in every way. He came towards the crew, panting and sweating, wearing what Connor had assumed was the basketball team's uniform.

-"Caspar!"—Joe said—"What the bloody hell took you so long to get to class!?"

-"I... I know... got... late... basketball... meeting... got... into the... main... team!"

For the next few seconds the entire group was exchanging words of congratulations and pats on the back, and as soon as they were done, Caspar had already taken his seat near them.

-"I'm going to be a pivot."—he explained—"I'll start playing on the games now! This is so cool!"

-"It's fantastic Casp!"—Lilly said.

-"Yeah, way to go, mate!"—Troye congratulated.

-"Thanks. It means less time to play bass, but... you're cool with that, right guys?"

-"Well that's not a problem! As long as we still get to practice on your place at Fridays...?"—Joe asked.

-"Yes! Yes of course! Oh—there comes Mr. Cole!"

Connor had had his fair share of weird teachers in the past, and Yule High just added them to the mix. At first he thought that it couldn't get much worse from the eccentric Mr. Graceffa and his own made up version of jeopardy to play in their history class or with the apparently alcoholic Mr. Hartman who would often end classes early to do God-knows-what in his private office (ever since the time he found him with Troye when he had failed to show at detention, the two teens had come up with a theory that the gym teacher had been single for a while), but Connor was proven wrong about this when he met Mr. Cole.

First name Louis, Mr. Cole was a British Biologist who had traveled the world an infinite amount of times, had backpacked through Europe, Asia and South America and, according to rumors, had even lived in a tribe somewhere in Zimbabwe where he practiced some natural medicine and had mastered a few branches of voodoo.

In plain sight, any parent would've thought that he was a hippie rather than a teacher. He always wore short sleeved shirts with several woolen bracelets around his wrists and no ties, with loafers instead of proper shoes and pants that sometimes seemed like they had never seen a washing machine. To top it all off he wore his long brunette hair in braids, and if he didn't tie it up lie he always did the locks would reach his hips. He was also to freakily tall, the guy was pretty much a living representation of Tarzan. But once you get to know him you get the true meaning of 'never judge a book by its cover'. He wasn't just the kindest person you would ever meet, he was also brilliant. He knew all there was to know about every culture from every part of the world, was super respectful and had a fair amount of knowledge on universal literature. Connor came to know that in the past he had worked with an NGO to protect endangered animals in Australia. He had even gone as far as stopping the school board from dissecting frogs in elementary and middle school lessons. Old habits die hard.

Mr. Cole entered the room with his typical greeting smile and his black glasses on, sporting a yellow shirt with some sort of flower pattern on it. It was amazing how he could be so at peace at all times. It was sort of infectious. Connor noticed how the entire class seemed to get calmer when the teacher entered the class, and some girls even sighed. Well he wasn't bad looking after all.

-"Good morning class!"—Mr. Cole greeted—"Today we have a lot to talk about! We're going to start discussing last week's homework on reading about the natural laws of physics and about what we're going to be seeing for the next few weeks, with mechanical movements and such..."

The whispers amongst the class seemed to be building up for something exciting. Connor had no idea what, but he figured he would find out soon enough.

-"... But! Before we do"—the teacher went on—", I think it's time we discuss the project that will take place later this semester."

A general excited gasp went around the room. So that's what it was. If Connor remembered correctly, the project was looked forward by the students, which was a new thing entirely. He had hated and dreaded every single group project he'd have to do in the past. There had been countless times he had to bail on his companions because his foster parents wouldn't allow him to go over to their places to study. Grace was different, of course, but the slight feeling of worry still lingered with him.

-"Now, about this project."—Mr. Cole explained—"It's not going to be the science fair project, that's going to be during the second half of this school year once we've gotten into chemistry."

He made a brief pause, as he started walking amongst the desks.

-"This project is going to be a biology project—one of my personal favorite subjects, as you kids may know. The idea is very simple! All the science classes of this year will have a road trip to the Natural Reserve of Yule Lake two weeks from now, from Friday night to Sunday afternoon, and we will observe the species that live in that environment and form part of the ecosystem. Most of you should know that Yule is famous for a famous form of bird, which is...?"

One would expect for the students to know, but nobody raised their hand, though Connor could see Troye shifting uncomfortable on his seat, and covering his face with his right hand.

-"... Nobody? Come on, kids! I know you guys know! Ms. Singh!"

Lilly raised her head in surprise.

-"Surely you must know—it's a common migrating species from Canada."

-"Eh..."—Lilly stammered—"I don't know... the Mockingjay?"

There was a general laughter, but Mr. Cole didn't seemed very amused. Although he wasn't angry at all.

-"Come on kids, give me something to work with...! We've seen this last year in biology...!"

After what appeared to be taking his due tie of consideration on whether he should raise his hand or not, Troye seemed to intend getting Mr. Cole's attention, but backed off at the last minute. Connor saw this as his perfect opportunity for a comeback.

-"Mr. Cole?"—he asked.

-"Yes! Franta?"

-"I don't think I have the answer"—Connor said, trying to sound the least malicious he could—", but I think Troye does."

Everyone's eyes went from Connor to Troye, and the latter was fulminating Connor with his stare. Connor didn't even acknowledge it. It felt good to have that payback.

Troye seemed to be wishing for a lightning bolt to strike him on the spot, but after getting off the impression at first, he spoke up.

-"... The green-chested sparrow?"

Mr. Cole's look of satisfaction and pride was somewhat funny, but one could tell he was relieved that at least one person knew what he was referring to.

-"That's what I'm talking about! One more point in Class Participation for Mr. Mellet!"

Troye sort of rejoiced for a bit when he found out he was right, and gave Connor a look of satisfaction before going back to his notebook. Connor groaned a bit, clearly losing in his attempt to embarrass the mysterious gas station kid.

-"Anyhow, it's about time I explain how the project will go down: you will be working either alone or in pairs, and because of the nature of our project, they have to be of the same gender. Now, now, before you start to choose your partner, I think you should consider—"

But nobody got to know what they should consider, because as soon as Mr. Cole had announced they could choose their own partners, everybody was talking with everyone to form the pairs. Connor was surprised how quickly and how little time it took for the groups to be formed. Thinking back a little, it wasn't that surprising. After all, it was a very small town, the kind of where everyone knows each other. Some of these kids had probably been best friends since childhood.

But Connor didn't know anyone. At least not that well. The only person that came to mind at first was Lilly, but she was a girl and Mr. Cole had specified they needed to be of the same gender. Lilly looked about as lost as him though, because as fate would have it, she wasn't friends with any of the girls in their class. Joe and Caspar had it easy; they picked each other right away. It had taken Connor about five seconds the day he first met them to realize they were best friends.

Once everyone had calmed down, Mr. Cole started to speak up again.

-"Well, thank you all for listening! Moving on; the reason why it must be pairs of the same gender is because you are going to be sharing tents. The school will provide everything from two-person tents to sleeping bags, but you are free to bring your own if you want to sleep alone or if you prefer to be in a more comfortable space."

-"You hear that man? It's so cool!"—Joe told Caspar.

-"Yeah! We spy around on the babes as well, I bet!"—Caspar replied to Joe, as the two of them did their secret handshake and Lilly rolled her eyes.

Mr. Cole walked towards Lilly.

-"Lilly, I didn't see you picking up a partner."—he said, with a grin.

-"Yeaaaah, Mr. Cole, about that..."

-"Lilly."

-"But it's not fair! You said the assignment could be personal!"

-"I know I said that, but I'd prefer it if everyone had the chance to work in a pair."—Mr. Cole said patiently—"Besides, ever since last year's prank at the hiking trip, it's only fair that I get concerned you get the liberty of a tent all for yourself."

Lilly smile dot herself, giggling at the memory of what had to be her prank.

-"Well Mr. Cole you have to admit that you are thankful for losing a couple of pounds after my extra ingredient on our breakfast."

-"Lilly, jalapeño peppers are dangerous when served raw, what if someone had suffered an allergic reaction?"

Lilly pouted, as Connor laughed under his breath. That must have been one epic hiking trip.

Mr. Cole took a look around the class.

-"Any of the girls still has no partner?"

There was a general silence, and at first it seemed like Lilly would actually get away with it, until the door busted open for the second time in the day and in came running the last person anyone expected to see—Alexa Losey entered the class in her cheerleading uniform with her waving red head of fire tied in a horsetail and her makeup slightly smeared over her face. If Connor knew better, he'd say she had been upset over something. But like usual she wouldn't show it, instead giving off the mystery vibe he had already gotten used to.

-"Sorry I'm late, Mr. Cole."—Alexa said—"I just got transferred to this class and I didn't know that it was this period so I went to math instead and I didn't realize it was here until..."

Alexa stopped talking all suddenly, partly because Mr. Cole was looking at her with a huge grin of satisfaction that she didn't comprehend, and part because Lilly was staring at her with her mouth wide open, realizing how fucked up she was.

-"... What is going on?"—Alexa asked, crossing her arms and standing her ground.

Mr. Cole walked towards Alexa and patted on her back.

-"Well, Alexa, I'm glad to inform you that your arrival is on point."—Mr. Cole signaled towards Lilly—"You and Singh have been assigned as tent partners for the class trip to Lake Yule's Natural Reserve two weeks from now."

The look of shock on Alexa's face was priceless.

In no moment's hesitation, a competition between Alexa and Lilly on who was more taken aback and unwilling to go on with such partnership took place. They were both rattling like crazy at Mr. Cole, neither of them pleased on the slightest that they would have to partner with the other one. However, Mr. Cole had already made up his mind.

-"No buts! This is final!"—he said with a smile—"Now, I suggest you two start warming up towards each other, because it's going to be a long weekend and I expect good results from your paper."

Alexa and Lilly exchanged a look of disbelief with one another, until Alexa finally caved.

-"... Fine."—she said, sitting down a few seats away from Lilly.

Lilly just sighed one more time, and looked pleadingly at Mr. Cole's eyes.

-"Do I have to?"—she asked.

-"Yes, you do."—he answered—"Now, be good, and remember that this project will have an important value in this term's final grade."

That seemed to have put the discussion at its end, and Mr. Cole went back to looking around the class. His eyes eventually rested on Connor. He seemed to have noticed something that had him concerned.

-"Connor, do you not have a partner?"—Mr. Cole asked.

-"... Well, no."—Connor replied with a sigh—"It's not a big deal, I can do the assignment alone—"

-"Oh, no such thing! Who doesn't have a partner yet? Come on kids?"

At first nobody raised their hand, but after a few minutes were past, fate would have it that one hand was raised.

And of course, it was Troye.

---

A/N

HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

PLEASE DON'T KILL ME I KNOW IT'S BEEN AGES!!!!

Last week I was on vacation with my family!!! We went to the beach and stuff, and because I got so exhausted from the trip I didn't start writing this chapter until yesterday!!! I was hoping to finish it then, but I couldn't make it in one night :(

So sorryyyyy

However, I'm back!!! And now I have two weeks of vacations left before I go back to class, which means that I'll have more freedom to write these next couple of days :D

Some stuff is happening soon, as you can probably tell, hehehe...

So, my question for youuuu

Why do you think Lilly and Alexa don't get along? Is there any particular reason that comes to mind? Also, do you think Connor and Troye are finally getting closer as friends? Or do you get the impression that Connor still has Troye on his bad side?

Also, a couple of somethings I just wanted to get out of the way...

1) Remember this story is fictional, and that it is a tronnor fanfic, but that I'm writing this as realistically as I can and for that I need to make some changes to some of the characters. So please, DO NOT HATE ME WHEN SOMETHING YOU DON'T WANT TO HAPPEN HAPPENS. It's all for a bigger purpose, and I promise that I have a plan. Please don't hate me. You have been warned.

2) As much as I know you may want to, THIS IS NOT A JASPAR FIC. Just wanted to get that out of the way, and let me break it down to you from this point on: JASPAR. IS. NOT. A. THING. IN. THIS. AU. Sorry if you hate me because of that. I just needed to point it out.

See you soon, you crazy lot!

--Coffee

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerร  anche

99.1K 1.4K 50
๐ˆ๐ญ๐ฌ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐Ÿ๐ข๐ซ๐ฌ๐ญ ๐๐š๐ฒ ๐›๐š๐œ๐ค ๐ญ๐จ ๐ฌ๐œ๐ก๐จ๐จ๐ฅ , ๐€๐š๐ฅ๐ข๐ฒ๐š๐ก ๐ข๐ฌ ๐ง๐จ๐ฐ ๐ข๐ง ๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ๐ญ๐ก ๐ ๐ซ๐š๐๐ž, ๐ฐ๐ก๐ข๐ฅ๐ž ๐ฌ๐ก๐ž๐ฌ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž๐ซ๐ž ๐ฌ๐ก...
757 147 19
โžธ ๐“จ๐“ธ๐“พ ๐“ญ๐“ป๐“ฎ๐”€ ๐“ผ๐“ฝ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ผ ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ท๐“ญ ๐“ถ๐”‚ ๐“ผ๐“ฌ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ผ ๐“‘๐“พ๐“ฝ ๐“ท๐“ธ๐”€ ๐“˜'๐“ถ ๐“ซ๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ฎ๐“ญ๐“ฒ๐“ท' welcome! in this nami will be entertaining you with dif...
1.1K 116 24
It starts with an envelope - unsigned, delivered by a raven black as night - and ends with a sword, the graceful, gleaming edge of it pressed to the...