The Only Girl in the Band

By youXfoundXme

Vanessa Laine is a college student and aspiring musician. She's got the look and she's got the voice. The onl... More

The Only Girl in the Band...[Part 1]
The Only Girl in the Band...[Part 2]
The Only Girl in the Band...[Part 3]
The Only Girl in the Band...[Part 4]
The Only Girl in the Band...[Part 5]
The Only Girl in the Band...[Part 7]
The Only Girl in the Band...[Part 8]
The Only Girl in the Band...[Part 9]
The Only Girl in the Band...[Part 10]
The Only Girl in the Band...[Part 11]
The Only Girl in the Band...[Part 12]
The Only Girl in the Band...[Part 13]
The Only Girl in the Band...[Part 14]
The Only Girl in the Band...[Part 15]
The Only Girl in the Band...[Part 16]
The Only Girl in the Band...[Part 17]
The Only Girl in the Band...[Part 18]
The Only Girl in the Band...[Part 19]
The Only Girl in the Band...[Part 20]
The Only Girl in the Band...[Part 21]
The Only Girl in the Band...[Part 22]
The Only Girl in the Band...[Part 23]
The Only Girl in the Band...[Part 24]
The Only Girl in the Band...[Part 25]
The Only Girl in the Band...[Part 26]
The Only Girl in the Band...[Part 27]
The Only Girl in the Band...[Part 28]
The Only Girl in the Band...[Part 29]
The Only Girl in the Band...[Part 30] Epilogue

The Only Girl in the Band...[Part 6]

329K 6.6K 3.2K
By youXfoundXme

"How's the band going?" Mae asked. I yawned sleepily and opened the fridge. I pulled out a carton of milk and set it on the table.

"It's all right," I yawned.

"I never see you anymore. You're either working, with the band, or doing homework. Are you ever going to catch a break?" Mae questioned.

She was right. I was always so busy these days. For the past few weeks, I practiced and practiced the demo songs. We finally started recording them the night before. And if I wasn't at band practice, then I was at work or in class. These days, I usually stayed up late studying and doing homework. Getting three or four hours of sleep was becoming regular for me.

"I'm fine. I'm managing all of it. It's not like I've collapsed. I've got it under control; don't worry about me," I told Mae mechanically. She got the bowls and spoons and cereal and set them down on the table, too.

"You know it's unhealthy the amount of sleep your living off of," Mae told me. I shrugged.

"Almost all college students get that much sleep. It's normal. We would pull all nighters all the time in freshman year. Remember?" I asked. She laughed as memories came back.

"All those late night trips to IHOP and the Waffle House," she laughed. I smiled in reminiscence.

"God, freshman year. Those were crazy times," I said. She nodded.

"Definitely. If you think I'm a party animal right now, I don't think you'd have words for what I was freshman year," she said.

"Good thing we dropped that sorority," I said. She snorted.

"Alpha Delta Mu!" she cried. We laughed.

"I feel like such an adult now," I said after we calmed down a little.

"I don't. I'm a little more studious now. But I haven't grown up that much, maturity-wise," Mae said. I rolled my eyes at her. "I think I should get a job. Maybe that'll snap me into shape. I am 21 now. I should be acting more mature now," she said.

"How many times have you said you were going to get a job?" I asked her. "And besides, you don't need one. The only reason I have a job is because my parents refused to pay my loans for me so I have to do it," I added.

"Yeah, and when The Velocity becomes a huge success, you won't have to worry about having a job," Mae told me. I shrugged.

"I'm glad I'll still have a degree to fall back on. Just in case anything goes wrong. Which it might," I said. She gave me a confused look. "Ian is driving me insane," I told her.

"Ah. Ian. The Douche," she said, understanding.

"He picks out every little mistake I make and lists it as "another reason I shouldn't be in the band". I mean really, when is he going to get over it? It's been like a month now!" I exclaimed.

"Maybe he likes you," Mae suggested.

"Oh, shut up," I scoffed, blushing slightly and throwing a Cheerio at her.

"What?! It's a possibility! And you two would be really cute together. He's hot and so are you. Perfect couple! And when you're famous, you guys can have a cute celebrity name. Like, Inessa. Or Vian," Mae continued. I raised an eyebrow at her. "Ok, yeah. You're right. Those sound lame," she said.

"I would never date that control-freak prick," I said.

"Never say never," she said. We both looked at each other.

"I WILL NEVER SAY NEVERRRRRRRR! I WILL FIGHT 'TIL FOREVERRRRRRR!" we sang in obnoxiously loud voices. We both burst into laughter.

"God, I hate that song," I said, wiping my eyes.

"What?! No! It's so catchy!" Mae exclaimed.

"Yeah, it's catchy. But totally not my kind of music," I said.

"Yeah; you and your pop-punk slash alternative-punk music," she said. I rolled my eyes at her and picked up my bowl.

"Speaking of which, I have to get to practice," I said.

"Have fun! And ask them for a day off!" she called as I went into my room to change. I changed into a pair of black skinny jeans and a turquoise and black plaid shirt. I pulled my converse on and put a beanie hat on my head. I smirked in the mirror and then stopped. I looked like a hipster. I shrugged, grabbed a light coat and walked out.

"See you tonight maybe!" I called, walking out.

"Bye!!" she replied.

                                                                                      ~~~~~~~~

"We need supplies," Caleb announced. Ian nodded next to him.

"Like what?" I asked.

"New amps. Guitar strings. Guitar picks. And Liam needs some new drumsticks," Caleb answered.

"So I guess I can take the day off," I said, starting to get up.

"Not so fast," Caleb said. I paused, looking at him. Ian looked smug next to him because I got called out. "You and Ian are going to go buy them," he said. Ian's expression went from smug to confused to angry within the span of 2 seconds.

"WHAT? I thought she was going by herself?!" Ian exclaimed.

"I am NOT going with him," I said, standing up.

"Yes you are. And Ian, she doesn't know how to pick out that kind of stuff. Someone has to go with her," Caleb said.

"Then why don't you or Liam or Camron go?" Ian spat, sending a glare at me.

"Because, you two need to learn how to get along," Caleb replied smoothly, taking my seat and placing his hands behind his head.

"I don't need to learn how to get along with anyone," Ian defend. I glared at him and then rolled my eyes.

"He is IMPOSSIBLE to get along with," I said, putting my hands on my hips.

"We're not discussing this. You're both going. Now hurry up. We still have some practicing to do when you get back," Caleb said.

"Caleb, this isn't fair," I argued again. He put his hand up.

"Not up for discussion. This group won't be the big success we want it to be if we don't all get along. Seeing as you two are the only ones that hate each other, this is a chance for some bonding. So deal with it and suck it up," Caleb said. "You can use the band's bank account," he told Ian. "And Ness is an accounting major. She's smart about money," he added. I squared my jaw and gave him a look.  He ignored it. Ian and I looked at each other. I let out a loud groan and marched up the stairs. I heard Ian yell at Caleb and Caleb repeat what he had told us again. The I heard Ian pound up the stairs in anger. He walked right past me without so much as a sideways glance. I followed him out to his car. He had already started it. I opened the door and sat down.

"This is so stupid," I muttered under my breath.

"Don't talk to me," Ian spat, backing out of the driveway. I frowned and folded my arms over my chest as he drove. After a few minutes of uncomfortable, angry silence, I spoke again.

"I don't understand why you hate me so much," I said.

"Well right now it's because you don't know what 'don't talk to me' means," he sneered.

"God, you are such a little bitch," I told him.

"So are you," he replied.

"What have I ever done to make me-" I began, but he cut me off.

"I never wanted you in this band. When I imagined us being famous, I didn't picture a girl in my band," he said.

"It's not just your band, though," I argued.

"I'm the one that formed it. Without me, we would've all been in college like you," he said.

"Wow. So you're taking all the credit for this?" I asked.

"Not all of it. But I was the one that had the idea of forming the band. The other agree," he answered.

"I still don't get why you hate me so much," I said.

"Because you're a girl," he answered, parking in the parking lot. We remained seated in his car.

"So? What are you, afraid of cooties or something?" I asked, incredulous that that was his answer.

"Cute comeback," he said sarcastically. "You're the only girl in our band and you're really pretty," he told me, turning to face me finally. I narrowed my eyes, but felt the color rise in my cheeks.

"I still don't get it," I said. He let out a frustrated sigh.

"You are a DISTRACTION. You've already got Caleb going soft because he has a girl-friend to talk to. And Camron's got some crazy crush on you that he won't admit to. None of us guys can be ourselves when you're around. All because you're a girl," he told me.

"So what, I'm the reason you guys can't reach your full potential?" I asked him.

"Exactly," he said simply. I frowned at him. "It's not like you're an amazing singer either," he continued, getting out of the car. I stepped out, too, feeling my heart drop. "There were so many other people that were way better than you," he added. I saw satisfaction on his face as he saw the expression on my face sadden. I looked at him feeling hurt.

"And here I was, thinking that I had some talent because that's what everyone else was saying," I said quietly, my voice breaking slightly. "But obviously you know best. Because you have the best judgment on these things," I kept going. He frowned at me. "Well I'll just back down, then, Ian. Just for you. To make you happy. Who cares if this was my only opportunity to finally come out of my bubble and sing? If you're not happy, then no one can be. It has to be your way," I paused, fighting the angry tears that were threatening to fall out of my eyes. "You can go find those other singers that were 'way better than me'. I quit," I said. A single tear escaped and I wiped it away quickly. I turned on my heel and began walking away from him.

"Where are you going?" he yelled.

"Getting away from you! It's what you wanted!" I shouted back, not looking behind me.

"Fine! Go to hell, then! WIMP," he yelled. The last word, although childish, stung. I had been called weak and scared all my life. I thought that joining this band would finally allow me to face my fears of performing and rejection. But I couldn't stand working with Ian. There was no winning against his attitude. I couldn't do it.

As I walked home, darkness fell and it began to rain. I pulled my coat around me, cursing the chilly autumn weather. Some drunk stragglers on the street side wolf-whistled at me.

"Hey there sweet thing! Wanna give me some SUGAR?!" one of them called out.

"Disgusting," I hissed under my breath to myself. I kept walking, feeling depressed, my spirits crushed. I felt my phone buzz and took it out. The rain droplets splashed onto the screen. It was a text from Caleb asking where I was. I told him to ask Ian and then put my phone away again. It began pouring even harder soon. As I rounded the corner to my apartment building about 10 minutes later, someone beamed their headlights at me. I covered my eyes, half blinded. Then the person honked.

"What the hell?! Rude much!" I yelled. I tried to make out the figure in the driver's seat. Whoever it was had parked and gotten out of their car. Shit. What if it was some rapist? I didn't have my bag with me; I had left it at Caleb's house. I looked around me, looking for something I could use as a weapon. Nothing. It was a clean sidewalk. Stupid upper-class neighborhood.

As the figure grew closer, I realized it was Caleb.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" he asked me, coming up to me. He held an umbrella over our heads.

"Going home," I replied.

"No; you're coming with me," he said, taking my arm. I yanked it away.

"No; didn't Ian tell you? I quit. I'm not in the band anymore. He got what he wanted," I said. He glared at me and took my arm again, holding it tighter. He began walking, taking me with him. I fought against him. "I will yell rape if you don't let me go right now," I threatened.

"Do it, then. I don't care," Caleb said, opening the passenger side door for me. We stood glaring at each other and he pointed to the inside of the car. I let out a groan and then sat inside the car, shivering from being out in the cold for so long. He got in the driver's side and drove us back to his house. We sat in silence the whole time.

                                                                             ~~~~~~~~~~

"I told you a hundred times before and I'm telling you again, she is apart of the band now and you are going to get along with her!" Caleb yelled. We were back at his house. He gave me a pair of sweatpants and a hoodie to wear. I sat in a blanket on the couch, feeling a huge headache creep in from the back on my head. Ian's arms were folded over his chest and he was glaring at the ground. Caleb had spent the last 15 minutes yelling at Ian for letting me walk by myself in the rain and saying all of the things he had said to me.

"Are you done lecturing me now?" Ian asked. Caleb's eyes flashed in anger.

"Get up. Both of you," he said. When we didn't move, he grew more infuriated. "NOW!" he yelled. We both jumped to our feet. He led us to his bedroom downstairs and told us to go inside. "I'm locking this door from the outside and I'm not opening it until you two can start to deal with each other," he said.

"No-" I began, but he slammed the door shut. I heard the lock click as he locked it. I sighed and turned to face Ian, who was glaring daggers at me.

This was going to be a living hell.

______________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Doncha just HATE Ian?! =) Doncha just LOVE Caleb?!

\m/ ^.^ \m/      Rock on! Oh, and keep those votes and messages coming. I love reading those excited comments that you guys leave. It makes me want to write, write, and WRITE!

P.S. That's Ian in the side. Walter Fontana is the lead singer of this Italian band that I like. He's the one that portrays Ian. =)

XOXO

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

218 51 22
Luca Williams, a 17 year old guitarist meets 17 year old Max Young, a singer. They form an alliance, and become bandmates, but is that really all th...
10.2K 176 16
Vanessa Jackson has an amazing voice and a severe case of stage fright. After being forced to audition for the battle of the bands talent show, Vanes...
193K 6.1K 57
What would you do if your best friend asked you to move in with him and his up and coming rock band? One moment, Tanna Carson is sitting on her bed...
5 0 18
SHORT STORY!! There are three things you should know before you start reading our story. One, my name is Vanessa and I'm a fucking idiot. I'm not stu...