my life as Aubrey (currently...

By Screamin_to_be_heard

Aubrey has a bad life at home. Her father beats her and her mother is to busy getting high or drunk to care... More

Chapter 1
chapter 2
chapter 3
chapter 4
chapter 5
chapter 6
chapter 7
chapter 9
chapter 10
chapter 11
chapter 12
chapter 13
chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
chapter 17
chapter 18
chapter 19
chapter 20
chapter 21
chapter 22
Chapter 23
chapter 24
chapter 25
chapter 26
chapter 27
chapter 28
chapter 29
chapter 30
chapter 31
chapter 32
chapter 33
chapter 34 The Ending

chapter 8

15.1K 102 11
By Screamin_to_be_heard

I woke up in the middle of the night not knowing why. I listened but couldn't hear anything. I used to wake up a lot back at home when I heard my father walking up the stairs. But I'm not home anymore, I told myself, I'm safe. I sighed and rolled over to only find a solid wall in my way. I sat up, my fight or flight reflex kicking in. So much for that thought. I slowly get out of bed and back up until my back hits the wall. I stay there for about ten minutes until I convince myself that no one was coming after me. I slowly creep around the bed heading towards the side where the person ways lying on, I crouch down as close as I dare and look to see who it was.

Landon was laying there all peaceful like so I hit him. I smacked his arm and he jumped awake. "Landon! You scared the crap out of me!" I smacked him again for good measure.

"Sorry," He mumbles and he rubbed his eyes sitting up.

"God, you can't just do that. I thought you were a kidnapper or a murderer." Or worse, I thought to myself, my father.

He chuckles. "Calm down, Aubrey. Come back to bed." He lies back down and rolls onto his stomach.

"Oh yeah, because I can so go back to sleep now." I walk back to my side and sit on the edge of the bed. "Why are you in here anyways?" I said quieter.

He sighs and at first I didn't think he was going to answer but he eventually says, "Because when you ran off like that I thought you were running away from me so I had to come in here before I ripped someone a new one." He mumbled.

"I was running away from you." I murmured. I didn't think he heard me but next thing I know I was being pulled down.

I ended up next to him with his arm around my shoulder, my head on his chest. "Why?" His mouth rested on the top of my head and I could feel his breath when he spoke.

"When my dad got mad he would...well you know." His arm stiffened behind me. "And what I said made you mad so I jumped up before what usually happened next could happen." I said messing with my Pajama shirt.

"You thought I was going to hit you?" He asked in disbelief.

"Well not exactly, it's just that when I saw you get mad, memories came back and I ran." I said shrugging. "Force of habit, I guess."

"I wasn't made at you, I was mad at myself." He said sighing, his breath hot on the top of my head.

I waited but he didn't continue, I looked up and saw his eyes closed. I reached up and ran the tips on my fingers down his check. He sighed, this time with content and snuggled more closer making me be practically on top of him. I rested my hand on his chest and closed my eyes.

I fell asleep and for the first time I wasn't scared before I shut my eyes.

***

The next morning I woke up to movement. I lifted my head up off the pillow and looked over. Landon was getting out of bed. I rolled over so my back was to him. I didn't want him to see the hurt look on my face that I got from seeing him sneak off.

Today is Saturday so I can sleep in. I snuggled deeper into the pillow and brought the blanket up to my chin. I waited for the sound of the door opening but it never came. I peeked over the cover and saw Landon sitting at the edge of the bed. I rolled on my back and looked at him.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

He looked back at me. "Nothing." He got up and walked towards the door.

Before he opened it I asked, "Why were you mad at yourself?"

"What," He asked, turning back around.

"Last night you said you were mad at yourself, why?" I pulled myself up leaning my back against the pillows.

He sighed. "I don't think you're ready for that answer."

I looked at him confused, my stomach tightened at his answer. "What do you mean?"

He opened the door and just before he walked out he said, "When you really ready for some answers come find me." Then he shut the door behind him leaving me alone.

Okay now I'm more confused than ever. I'm already ready for an answer that's why I asked the questions. No longer tired I crawled out of bed and walked into the bathroom to get ready for the day. So much for sleeping in.

***

Since it was Saturday it was going to be a lazy day but I never had one of those so I didn't know what to do. I sat on the couch watching movie after movie. I looked on the back of some of these and saw the date when it came out. I couldn't believe I never heard of some of these. They seem like new to me but are actually years old.

I made lunch, remembering what Landon said. I know he was joking but hey I was already making food might as well make everyone something.

When I got done eating I decided to watch another movie, Landon just joined me saying he knew the perfect one for me. I just got comfortable when the doorbell rang. Landon was going through the movies so I told him I would get it.

When I opened the door, who I saw I wasn't expecting them but I always feared this day would come.

 "Dad, what are you doing here?" I asked panic rising in me, I took a step back afraid he would grab me.

But before I got to far he grabbed my arm and pulled me outside. "You're coming home with me. Now." He snarled.

I dug my heels into the ground to keep myself from going anywhere and yanked my arm out of his grip. He turned around growled at me. "Now, Aubrey or so help me I will knock you out and drag you home."

I was breathing so hard and my blood was roaring in my ears. I had this dream so many times since the hospital but I never thought I would come true.

"No you won't." Came a growl behind me.

I turned around and saw Landon walking towards me. He grabbed my arm and tugged me behind him, a lot nicer compared to my dad. "You won't touch her ever again. Got it?" Landon asked his voice colder than I ever heard.

"Don't test me. boy. Let my daughter go or I'll make you." My dad growled right back, he stood his full height making the threat real.

"Oh I think you lost the privilege to call her your daughter a long time ago. Get off my property now or I'm going to call the cops for trying to kidnap her." Landon threatened.

My dad laughs. "I can't kidnap my own daughter. I'm her father,"

"That maybe true but she's not under your custody anymore, she's under my parents' custody so if you take her off this property you're kidnapping." Landon stood up straight too, blocking my view from my father.

My father goes silent but I can see all the signs that he's angry. I start panicking inside, what if he hurts Landon? I've seen, felt what he can do. I'm not letting that happen. I come out from behind Landon and walk towards my father well as far as Landon will let me.

"Don't be mad, dad. I'll come with you." I say but get pulled back.

"What?" Landon asks in disbelief. "You'll go back with this creep? After everything he's done?"

"I have to, Landon. It's me he'll hurt if I do but who will he hurt if I don't? You? My mom?" I turn to face my dad again. "I'll come, just don't be mad."

"You'll do no such thing." Came a voice from behind us. We turn to look and we find Landon's father in the doorway. "Aubrey, the only person that will be leaving is your father."

My dad snorts and takes a step towards me. Landon pulls me out of reach and growls. "As you can see, you're out numbered," London's father continues while walking towards us. "I suggest you leave now before you start something that none of us can end until it's too late and someone gets hurt."

My dad looks at me one last time, making every instinct scream for me to run. But before I can he storms off.

"When did he get out of jail?" Landon asks out raged.

"Today, his court day isn't until couple weeks." His dad motions for us to come back inside.

"Court?" I asked while we stood in the hallway.

London's father looks down at me. "Yes, Aubrey, your father is going to court and we will get him for doing this to you."

"But that means..."I trailed off not wanting to believe it.

"You'll have to testify against him." He finished for me, laying a hand on my shoulder.

That hand felt like the world just landed on my shoulders.

Oh no, no, no.

The rest of the day I stayed on the couch just curled at the end watching more movies. I can't believe they want me to get up in front of who knows who and tell them what my father has done to me for the past five years. I don't think so.

My stomach rumbled and I was about to get up but Landon stopped me. "I'll get you something."

I gave him a small smile and started watching the movie again. When he gave me a plate with some spaghetti on it I ate all of it not realizing how hungry I was. I only watched two more movies after that, I don't know how I was so tired. Maybe it was the emotional toll I got today.  I told Landon I was going to bed and he afford to walk me to my room. He pulled the blanket over me, when he was about to leave I grabbed his hand.

"Lay with me? Until I fall asleep?" I asked all of today's events rushing back.

He slowly nods and climbs in next to me. He pulls me close and I laid my hand on his chest, my head on his shoulder.

I have to admit I was still kind of scared. I mean, who wouldn't be? It would be so easy for my father to sneak in here and take me back. And I would go with him because I wouldn't want anyone else to get hurt but lying in Landon's arms all that just floated away. My father a distant worry in the back of my mind.

"I won't let anyone hurt you." Landon whispered into my hair, kissing the top of my head.

I wanted so badly to believe him.

"Thank you." I mumbled back before passing out feeling safe in his arms, safe for the moment.

COMMENT, VOTE AND FAN

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

70.8K 1.4K 15
In a time when slavery exists, Aubrey is forced to get a slave, Hayden. When realizing how broken he is, she promises herself she will fix him. When...
39 0 12
Lisa just broke up with her boyfriend and is starting to regret it when suddenly, she sees something she'd rather forget. So she reports it to the po...
16.3K 206 22
*Sequel to To What End* Elyssa finally gives birth to her first daughter. Nathan and her are ecstatic, and still love each other to pieces. Things ke...
45.1K 1.6K 29
Aubrey is transferring from the comfort of her well-known Catholic school to a boarding school across the country because of a mishap with the school...