Infection

By PeterMorrinsville

It starts with a simple itch, nothing more. Maybe a few random spasms or the occasional shudder but you'll th... More

Writers Comments
Prologue
Chapter 1 - Late
Chapter 2 - Strange Times
Chapter 3 - Train Wreck
Chapter 4 - No Accident
Chapter 5 - Finally Leaving
Chapter 6 - Beginning of the End
Chapter 7 - Day Trip
Chapter 8 - Shopping Spree
Chapter 9 - The Camp
Chapter 10 - The Twins
Chapter 11 - Sitting by the fire
Chapter 12 - She Heard Everything
Chapter 13 - Into The Heavens
Chapter 14 - The Game
Chapter 15 - Open the Gate
Chapter 16 - Nightmares
Chapter 17 - A Cold Wet Day
Chapter 18 - A Golden Dawn
Chapter 19 - The Loot
Chapter 20 - Small Town Girl
Chapter 21 - Alone
Chapter 22 - Like Father, Like Daughter
Chapter 23 - Over the Roof
Chapter 24 - Till Dusk
Chapter 25 - Recovery
Chapter 26 - Dead or Alive
Chaper 27 - Bedding Down
Chapter 28 - Inferno
Chapter 29 - At Bay
Chapter 30 - Knuckles
Chapter 31 - Raining Cars
Chapter 32 - River
Chapter 33 - Coffee Table
Chapter 34 - Fighting to survive
Chapter 35 - A Will to Live
Chapter 36 - Sickened
Chapter 38 - Reunion
Chapter 39 - From Bellow
Chapter 40 - Changed
Chapter 41 - A Dark Room
Chapter 42 - Masks
Chapter 44 - Humanity
Chapter 45 - Playful Mind
Chapter 46 - Dazed
Chapter 47 - Back Again
Chapter 48 - Watched
Chapter 49 - Darwin's Law
Chapter 50 - Mental War
Chapter 51 - Casino and Snow
Chapter 52 - Yellow Eyes
Chapter 53 - Stabbed
Chapter 54 - A Dance With The Devils Daughter
Chapter 55 - Back Stabbed (END OF BOOK 1)

Chapter 43 - The Woman With the Red Lipstick

3.9K 282 28
By PeterMorrinsville

Every one heard it, how could you not. It cut through the air like a knife and it just screamed torment. Without thinking I dropped the body I was disposing of and bolted towards the cry, I wasn't the only one. I just hopped that it wasn't one of those things!

With the epicentre in sight I was forced to slow down, the mask restricting my breathing. It had already become uncomfortably hot and sticky, the lenses misting up. In an effort to get to the scene faster, I managed to loosen the apparatus, freeing my face. The sunlight was almost blinding and I'd forgot how easy it was to breath. Indulging myself for a second, I sped back up, converging on the cabin. Taking a closer look I noticed someone at the door, someone... ginger!

No, please don't be Eve!

Who ever it was didn't even make it down the stairs before crumbling to the ground, my suppositions were soon confirmed. Spurring on I was beaten by a similarly masked individual, Joining him as he removed his unit.

"It cant be!"

"Jack, that you?"

"Yeah, but more importantly how on earth is she alive!" Jack stated, referring to the unconscious Eve.

"She got back last night, she alright?"

With bated breath he checked her pulse, searching her skin for any marks. Finding her hand bandaged up, he tensed slowly unwinding the rag. I didn't remember seeing that last night.

Coming to the bloody end of the fabric we found the skin untouched, which in a way was unexpected. Why would you wrap your hand in a stained rag?

"She's clean but I still want a doctor to check her out. Look in the building to see if their was anyone else."

Nodding, I hopped up the stairs, pressing the mask into place before entering. Even with it filtering the air I could smell the decay, It was times like this I wished I had an air tank. As my eyes adjusted I had the odd feeling I had been here before, the dead coming into view. My heart sunk, It was the cabin from last night! Why would she come back here?

Doing a finale sweep to make sure no one alive was in here, I quickly left. There was already a small crowed gathered to see what had happened, Jack looking expectantly up at me.

I shook my head, removing the mask. And another thing that troubled me, why had she scream, and why so demonically? This was woman who had been living out in the world for almost a week, you would of thought they'd seen something a lot worse then a room full of bodies.

"Alright guys get back to work! There's nothing to see here!" One of the soldiers shouted, dispersing the crowed.

"Where you taking her" I asked Jack as he began to lift her up.

"The infirmary, military side of the camp. Don't worry she'll be safe, now get back to work."

"Can I not come with you!" I begged. I had lost her once, I wasn't about to loose her again.

"You'll be of more use here cleaning up, you can see her latter," and without further comment he was off.

Holding my tongue, I regrettably retreated, remembering the last time I tried defying him.

"Seth!"

Taking my eyes off Jack, I turned to who was calling. "Jamie? Jamie! Why on earth was Eve over here!"

"She went to find Will." she managed catching her breath.

"The guy she came in with?"

"Yeah, but there's something else I got to tell you."

"Go on..." my heart skipped a beat.

"She doesn't remember anything from last night, last thing she recalls was driving with that guy."

I gasped."You've got to be kidding me!"

"Was that her screaming?"

"...Yes..." I whispered, looking in the direction Jack had left.

"What happened out there, has she lost the plot?"

"After last night an now this... wait, you said she was going after Will... then how did she end up here?"

"What do you mean?"

"This is the Cabin from last night, don't you remember?"

"Maybe her memory came back... it would explain the screaming. You should of seen her when she woke up, it was like having are old Eve back.

*

Fire consumed my vision, yellows and reds dancing fiercely across my eyes, and yet I remained calm. My skin felt cool, slick with blood, but I could not move. It was coming.

Out of the inferno rose a shadow, its humanoid outline representing that of a female. Closer and closer it came, colour slowly latching onto its bare blistering skin. It wasn't until its nose was touching mine that its face came into focus, It's cold brown eyes mirroring mine. Eyes I knew all to well. Slowly the fire engulfed her flesh, and I was forced to watch my doppelgänger burn in every detail until she was nothing more than ash.

My eye's flickered open. I felt calm and collective, some order returning to my misshaped mind. What ever I had become I had to accept it, whether it was one of them, the infected, or a surviver. What was the difference, predator or pray.

"Eve?"

"Will! Is that you?" Shocked, I turned over noticing the bearded man in a bed next to me. "Welcome to camp!" I added, enthusiastically.

"No thanks to you!" He grunted. "How come you're here?"

"Something to do with screaming and fainting I'm thinking."

"And that's why your restrained, seriously?"

"I did kind of disappear a week ago, give me some slack." Looking around I realised that we were in an actual facility with working lights! "Where even is here?"

"Hay don't ask me, I woke up here."

The room consisted of a row of beds, only two currently occupied (Will and I's) and the rest of the room was quite empty. There was a heavy metal door, further blocking are exit, and a long glass mirror across the back wall. Something gave me the impression that it wasn't for are benefit.

"Has a nurse seen to you yet?" I asked.

"Nope, but they bandaged my leg up good."

I tested the restraints, feeling the leather thong resist."Some hospitality," I muttered.

Suddenly there was a loud thunk followed by a hiss before the bulkhead swung open and in strolled one of the most elegant woman I have yet to meet. Her lips were a deep red, complementing her perfectly made hair, and her crips white lab coat showed no sign of use. If anything it was just for show.

"How we feeling?" She asked in a thick London accent, her smile not quite meeting her eyes.

"Right as rain," I replied bluntly, leaving Will to gorp. "Why are we restrained?"

"Precaution, precaution my dear. For your own protection as much as our own."

I immediately disliked her, her voice irritated me. Not to mention her perfect attire, it made me look like a complete train reck. Not that I cared anymore, but still!

"Anyways, you'll be glad to know that both of you are clean and will be released shortly, further blood tests are being carried out just to double check." And with an overly enthusiastic smile, she left.

I really did not like her. "You can stop your gorging now Will!"

In the next 10 or so minutes soldiers came and released us, but there was one catch. They would only escorted use out if we wore the black bags they gave use. Let's just say Will ended up taking the second option.

Placing the bag over my head I closed my eyes, embracing the darkness and allowing my other senses to take control. On each side soldiers guided me, another two taking up the rear and forefront. The metal grate bellow us made that obvious enough, but there were many other sounds that I didn't recognise that sent chill down my spin. Groans and moans and even the muffled sound of gunfire at one point. What was this place, and what did they not want use to see. More importantly who was that woman with the red lipstick.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

523 38 32
A girl stuck on a thought to find someone who would love her gets caught by the spreading virus that turns into a deadly pandemic zombie plague. She...
101K 3.4K 21
In a world where a virus has spread that causes people to turn into flesh-eaters, you have lived being a zombie killer. You stopped having feelings a...
495 38 28
When a set of deadly viruses is unleashed on the world everything begins to change. Weather becomes more intense, animals become more dangerous, and...
Days are Gone By Seth

Science Fiction

5K 636 36
In a world where the dead started walking, few people inherited traits that were considered peculiar. Once bitten, they'll turn, not as infected, but...