The Dark Witch: The Nox Haven...

By RowenaBlack

I'd Like to think I was a good person, before it all began. I didn't cheat on tests, or steal. But throughou... More

Chapter 1: Breaking Point
Chapter 2: Psychic Gaurdian
Chapter 3: Nox Haven
Chapter 4: Fainted
Chapter 5: Tour Guides
Chapter 6: Magicry
Chapter 7: Royal Witch
Chapter 8: Do Witches Even Need Algebra?
Chapter 9: Defending the Heart
Chapter 10: Ending The Day With A Bang
Chapter 11: The Heirs
Chapter 13: Elemental Games
Chapter 14: A Dark Encounter
Chapter 15: What Will The Truth Unveil?
Chapter 16: Time For Some Digging
Chapter 17: Oh Brother
Chapter 18: The Other Side
Chapter 19: Will It Hurt?
Chapter 20: Grounded or Imprisoned?
Chapter 21: Beneath The Snow
Chapter 22: Before The Ball
Chapter 23: The Winter Ball
Chapter 24: Knowing Everything
Chapter 25: Girls Chat
Chapter 26: Manipulating The Dark
Chapter 27: One for All and All for One
Chapter 28: In The Dark of The Night
Chapter 29: Down The Rabbit Hole
Chapter 30: The Bitter Escape
Chapter 31: Goodbye... For now
The Dark One and The Dark Warlock Synopsis
NEW BOOK: OUT NOW
Supernatural Creature Test
The Others: Update
Thank You!!

Chapter 12: Times in the Dark

62.7K 4.3K 666
By RowenaBlack

CADDIE's POV:

I waited anxiously to see Cam the next day. Even though I hadn't known him for long, he managed to worm his way under my skin. Besides Alix, he seemed to be the only person who wanted to know the real me. Not the future heir. To my surprise, he was still standing and looked completely unscathed. In fact, he seemed better than ever. He had a newfound confidence when he was around me. I looked forward to those five minutes after class filled with bland jokes and awkward conversations.

Over the next month, I adjusted to my new life easily. The other council heirs were like family to me, except for Mira and Aleksander. I stepped out of my way to ignore them both.

Mira began to wiggle her way her way under Aleksander's arm. She was attached to him like a leech, sucking the life out of everything. My powers developed at a scary rate, and Heidi was practically choking on pride during the lessons whereas I had to choke on my bile. Why couldn't I have been born with a nice gift, like an elemental?

Using magic gave me a thrill that couldn't be matched by any drug or adrenaline rush. A feeling of content washed over me every time I activated my powers, I only wish my powers weren't designed to kill people. It seemed preposterous that a shy small town girl like me, could be turned into a weapon of mass destruction in a month. But that's exactly what happened, and I didn't know if I liked it or not.

"Isn't it so cool that you can decapitate a body with the flick of the wrist?" Mava squealed in history class.

I awoke from my daydream, and gave her a funny look. I had forgotten that Mr. Bryant was still teaching the class about the different powers of the council members.

"Oh, Mava, shut up or else she'll do it to you," Irene scolded her friend.

The blood drained from Mava's face. Shrugging my shoulders I turned my attention on jotting down the notes. I was getting used to feeling fear pour off of my classmates in waves. I didn't enjoy being the reason why an entire generation was afraid of the dark, but Aunt Heidi said it was essential it I wanted to be an effective ruler. I had read "The Prince," by Niccolo Machiavelli enough times to know that it was better to be feared than loved. Just when I thought I couldn't take another second of listening to Mava's meek apologies, the bell rang and I fled.

Classes without Alix were absolute torture. The other students would whisper about me and point me out to their friends, like I was a museum exhibit. When Alix was in my classes she managed to shut them up with one harsh glare. I was mostly free from the spectators but I couldn't stop feeling their never ending curiosity and fear.

I hurried to defense class, hoping to avoid Aleksander. Obviously, I couldn't keep it up forever. We did have to spend the rest of our lives together as council members. Once I got to the class, I headed towards the back room, but Fredrick stopped me.

"Not so fast little girl. Today you are sparring with everyone else," He informed me. My face must have resembled Edvard Munch's The Scream because Maddox and Ryder began to howl with laughter.

"Good. Aleksander's here." Fredrick said once the last person to class arrived.

"Caddie, you'll be sparring with Aleksander." Fredrick was clearly speaking, but I couldn't hear him passed the deafening roar of my heartbeat.

Aleksander and I chanced a look at each other; and Ryder and Maddox began to laugh again. Kimone bounded over to the two of them and pulled on their ears.

"Ow ow ow," They whined in union. I gave her a grateful look. On the other side of the room, Mira gave me her signature death stare. If looks could kill, I'd be obliterated from existence.

I got dressed quickly, and reluctantly walked onto the mat. Aleksander faced me and crouched into a fighting position.

He gave me a guilty look, "I don't want to hurt you."

I raised my fists and swallowed my pride. "Too late."

I delivered a blow to his gut. He doubled over in pain and I took the chance to kick him. He fell to the ground and looked up at me in shock. Ryder and Maddox began to chuckle, and even Kimone tried to hold back a snicker.

Humiliated, Aleksander flipped back onto his feet. I tried to hit him but he blocked my punch and smacked me in the jaw. I turned away from him, but that didn't stop him from knocking me out.

My eyes opened slowly, I squinted at the fluorescent lighting. Slowly, I pulled myself up. My head pounded. I saw the similar hospital beds and medical supplies scattered across the room. Even though most of the castle's architecture had been kept and restored; the nurse's infirmary was very modern. Standing by the nurse's desk Aleksander kept his guilty stare trained on me.

"How's your head," he asked, making his way to my bedside.

"It hurts, no thanks to you," I replied cynically as my head continued to throb.

We fell into an awkward silence.

"How did I get here?" I didn't remember anything after he knocked me out.

"I carried you," He said simply, his light brown hair hung by his eyes.

"How nice of you," I said sarcastically.

He tensed."Why do we have to do this? Can't we at least be friends for now?"

"For now?" I asked.

A ghost of a smile appeared on his face, "Well would you like me to propose?"

"I'm in the nurses infirmary because of you. I wouldn't get down on one knee anytime soon," I muttered, sinking down onto the bed.

He took the hint and turned to leave.

"You're such an enigma Caddie Jones, one moment you're a strong heir ready to rule the world and the next moment you continue being the small scared girl from Virginia. I can't wait to meet the real you when your power is fully released."

My mind continued to think over what he said until my session with Heidi.

* * *

"So I'm guessing your first sparring session didn't go well," Heidi said leading me down a dark stone tunnel. I was confused when she told me we weren't having class in her office.

She had pulled a book down from the shelf, and just like you see in the movies, a secret passage opened before our eyes.

"It could have gone better. Where are we going?" I inquired.

Up ahead there was a circular room with three other outlets. We took first tunnel and stopped in front of an old wooden door. A putrid smell wafted from the small dark room. Heidi made a gesture and the candles positioned around the room lit. I let out a little scream.

"Why the hell are there dead bodies down here?" I looked back for an escape.

"Relax," Heidi said calmly. "Those are just for practice." She spoke so nonchalantly, it was as if we weren't discussing murder.

"You killed them?" I was appalled.

The corner of her mouth twitched, "I didn't kill them. These mortals had recently died. We are going to work on resurrection today."

I scrunched my nose up in disgust.

"That's awful. Can't we just let them rest in peace?" I suggested with hope.

Heidi gave me a hard look. She was not going to budge.

I knelt down on the cold cobbled ground by the old scrolls and salt circle. There was already a dead body lying lifelessly in the circle.

I read the dark words, repeatedly. Directing my attention to the dead body. I pulled her detached soul from the void and guided it back to the body. An ear splitting scream erupted from the dead body.

I reluctantly looked up at the now fully awake corpse.

"Where am I? This can't be real, I'm supposed to be dead." I kept a steady gaze on the hysterical woman.

She discovered my existence and gave a knowing, hateful look.

"You did this to me," she hissed. She tried to reach out towards me but the salt circle kept her from touching me.

Keeping my cool, I asked her, "What's your name?"

"Martha Scott," the woman whispered harshly.

It was funny how much power a name could hold. I had her identity in my grasp. I knew how she died and her worst fears. Believing her life couldn't get any better, she had drowned herself. Heidi nodded giving me the signal that I had to follow through.

"I'm so sorry," I whispered before invading her mind. I changed her concept of reality. Now, she believed she was drowning, just like when she died.

Martha collapsed to the ground writhing and gasping for air. After two minutes of no oxygen her body stilled and her spirit detached once more.

Tears welled in my eyes.

"Don't even say you're proud of me," I bit out and left.

* * *

I sat out in the courtyard watching the sun disappear from existence painting the sky in warm colors. As the weather began to turn colder the plants began to die. The flowers that once glowed with beauty were now shriveling into brown petals.

"What are you doing out here?" Alix asked, approaching the stone bench I was sitting on.

"Everyone is looking for you inside," She informed me.

"That's their first mistake." I said swinging my legs.

"What's wrong?" Alix asked suddenly concerned. "I haven't seen you like this in weeks. Is this about Aleksander because I'll personally neuter him, if so."

She played with a golden lock of my hair, and kept her face guarded.

"It's not about him," I said. He hadn't crossed my mind in hours.

"Then what is it about," she prompted.

"Alix, I'm a bad person," I kept my eyes on the fading sun, saying goodbye to the light.

"That's ridiculous. You're one of the best people I know."

I shook my head, "But I'm not. At least I won't be forever."

"What do you mean?" She asked pursing her dark red lips.

"I don't know how to explain it. It's like when people say you are what you eat. It's the same with magic: you are what you preform. And there is no one with darker magic than me."

"You're being stupid," Alix informed me, "That has never happened to anyone before. So why would that happen to you."

I agreed with her for her own sake. I couldn't help but feel rotten for the rest of the night. 

**Please comment and Vote**

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

123K 8.3K 55
Five Star Reviews for Atlantis Academy: "Omg this book was amazing I couldn't put it down or stop reading. I carried it with me open on my phone whil...
4.1K 526 58
Demons, vampires, witchcraft, abandonment; Marissa Carter has problems others don't see. As the daughter of a banished witch and a normal human, she...
2.3K 82 52
He left me broken and I was left to mend the pieces together but not every shattered glass stays together if it's broken more than once. . . . I...
2.4K 306 58
"She is a monster.", they said. Well, they are not wrong. I'm not a normal monster like the others from the nightmares. Whenever I go, I spread deat...