βπƒπ‘π€ππ„π“πŽπŒπŽππˆπ€βž ━...

By wistfulthoughts

drapetomonia - the overwhelming urge to run away. ━ When Junia Beaumont, her brother and their classmates get... More

βπƒπ‘π€ππ„π“πŽπŒπŽππˆπ€.❞
❝𝐂𝐀𝐒𝐓.❞
βπ‹π˜π‘πˆπ‚π’.❞
00. prologue
❝𝐀𝐂𝐓 𝐈 - 𝐓𝐇𝐄 πŒπ„ππ“πŽπ‘.❞
01. the fourth of july
02. rigged
03. cattle cars
04. the monkey enclosure
05. hypotheticals
06. consequences
07. back at the zoo
08. the questionnaire
09. mentor and tribute
10. blood
11. grief, sorrow and anger
12. afternoon sun
13. a proposal
14. somber morning
15. arachne's funeral
16. the arena
17. the hospital
18. wounds
❝𝐀𝐂𝐓 𝐈𝐈 - 𝐓𝐇𝐄 π“π‘π€πˆπ“πŽπ‘.❞
19. a visitor
20. the spare key
21. a nightly visit
22. test subject C
23. guns and axes
24. of snakes and antidotes
25. preparations
26. last steps
27. backstage
28. the interview
29. closer
30. one last measure
31. countdown
32. murder and mercy
33. rescue mission
34. kiss of life
35. eleven remain
36. Lamina
37. what it means to be human
38. a deal with a snake
39. the grand finale
❝𝐀𝐂𝐓 𝐈𝐈𝐈 - 𝐓𝐇𝐄 π•πˆπ‚π“πŽπ‘.❞
40. reunion
41. clash of views
42. the future
43. dread
44. the hypocrisy of it all
45. don't be a stranger
46. a sister's guilt
47. goodbye, capitol
48. home
49. family line
50. survivor's guilt
51. the market
52. sketches
53. Rachis
54. the Pine
55. a broken boy
56. Happy birthday, Treech
58. the wedding
59. epilogue
βπ“π‘πˆπ•πˆπ€.❞

57. twins

272 16 217
By wistfulthoughts

ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ

ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ

57. twins

The next week or so is more or less dedicated to preparing Birdie's wedding, which means that the entire family is incredibly busy even after a long day at school or work.

Apparently they've had to reserve a location right outside the Pine almost over a year ago, shortly after Birdie's now-fiancé Wade proposed to her, and are now in the midst of getting everything ready for the big day. In most cases, weddings are often celebrated with one or two other couples in order to afford the location, but since their family is so big, everyone is more than happy to contribute as much as they can.

Everyone has their own set of tasks, and June is more than flattered when Birdie herself picks her to make a list and keep track of things that are still needed. While this made her anxious at first, she quickly realizes that the entire family is pretty independent and they don't need an extra push to hurry up. That aside, it's nice to feel included and to know that Treech's sister trusts her this much.

Around a month ago, they were still in the Capitol. It must've been the evening of the interview, maybe even the night before the Games. It's easy to lose track of time, but the one thing June knows for sure is that she misses her brothers. She knows better than to expect a letter so soon, but the more time passes, the more she hopes someone will bring in an envelope for her.

But, of course, she's grateful for what she has here already. Treech's family is wonderful; they immediately took her in as one of their own even though she's from the Capitol, and June is more than happy to see that things between her and Treech are as steady as ever. They're truly happy, and although Treech is still plagued by nightmares, he hasn't relapsed terribly since that one incident before his birthday.

That day, it's just her and Treech inside the house. His mother is outside, tending to the weeds and making everything look presentable. With his siblings and parents being so busy, his brother Flint completely forgot to ask someone to look after his daughter, but he quickly finds suitable 'babysitters' in his little brother and his girlfriend.

Taking care of Cherry makes June feel like she's barely eleven or twelve years old, and taking care of little Max whenever their parents quickly had to take care of things at work. It's a bit awkward, and June needs to get used to it at first, but when she falls asleep on her, it's hard not to melt. Cherry is warm and soft against her, and she doesn't mind rocking the little girl back and forth in her sleep.

She'd have handed her over to Treech, but his hands are busy. With Birdie out of the house, he has been doing everything he can to work on a gift he wants to give to his sister on his wedding day, since that'll also be the day she officially moves out.

Or rather, Panem's government gives newlywed couples about a week to get settled into their newly assigned home. Thankfully, they already know it'll be within reach of her parents and the rest of the family.

Treech has been working hard the entire time and has just left the phase of making final sketches and started carving. It's supposed to be a wood carving with a floral pattern since his sister loves those more than anything, and June can tell that he's incredibly focused. His brows are furrowed, and his jaw is slightly clenched, but whenever he lifts his head to take a short break, she can tell that he's content right where he is.

And to her, after everything, that's really all that matters.

After an hour or so, June hears the chair being pushed away from the table, and she looks over. She has been sitting on the couch for a while now, Cherry nestled against her and all, and she winces when the chair scrapes over the floorboards.

Treech makes a face as well, warily looking over, but heaves a relieved sigh when his niece doesn't stir. He pushes himself up and quietly moves to the sink, scrubbing away at his hands. Gently, not frantically.

"Are you taking a break?" June's voice is quiet over the running water, but Treech gives her a little grin and nod.

He turns off the water and wipes his hands clean on a kitchen towel. "Yeah, feels like my fingers are about to fall off," he half-jokes, carrying himself over to the couch. He sits down slowly, but the worn-down couch creaks beneath their shared weight anyway.

"Still asleep, huh?" He says more to himself, running a hand through his niece's frizzy curls. "You wanna give her to me? Your arms must be getting sore."

She looks at him in slight surprise, but then nods. With gentle care, she hands the little girl over to her uncle and smiles at the way Treech tucks her against him. At this point, she knows for sure that he's a natural at taking care of children, but it still makes her feel all warm inside. To know that he trusts himself enough to cradle a little girl in his arms is bittersweet.

June leans against his shoulder with a small sigh escaping her, although she can't help but smile when he kisses the side of her head. She wraps her arms around one of his and lifts her legs off the ground, choosing to curl up next to him instead. Truthfully, she's not even sure why she's tired. Cherry is an angel, but she's also not as used to taking care of someone so young as she once was.

"Sleepy?" Treech muses and laughs when he receives a soft hum in response. "I get it. But you did good; I can tell that she likes you."

"I hope so," June responds quietly and lifts her head to gaze at the little girl's sleeping face. Her chubby fingers are latching onto her uncle, and she has to stifle a laugh when she realizes just how much of a death grip she has on him. But still, he handles her with gentle care.

"You're good with kids," she mumbles appreciatively.

"'Cause I've got a lot of siblings," he reminds her, his voice carrying an amused undertone. Something about her words sets something inside of him alight, though, and in the best way possible, he feels his affection for her surge. "And I think you're a natural. Cherry's not good with strangers, but she warmed up to you quickly. I'm sure she knows you're family now too."

June lets out a quiet laugh, but feels a comfortable warmth spreading in her chest at his words anyway. Family. The knowledge that they've all accepted her so quickly fills her with hope for the future, yet it makes her miss her own siblings more than anything. She knows they'd love it here.

Treech takes note of her content silence and smiles. He runs a finger over Cherry's soft cheek and can't help but sigh, a slight longing stirring within him. "Kinda makes me think, though. I used to want kids, I think..." He mumbles. "Now I'm not so sure anymore."

She hums. "Well, you're still young," she replies in the same quiet voice that's barely above a whisper. She offers him a tired smile when he looks over at her with a curious expression on his face. "You just turned nineteen, Treech. There's plenty of time to heal. And besides, even if you don't want to..."

He shakes his head. "It doesn't matter what I want. I'm not the one that would be puttin' in all the effort," he says, his gaze sweeping over her face. He immediately sees the way her eyes get a bit more shy, and he chuckles. "I'm serious, sweetheart. And I also need to fix myself first."

She frowns, but not because she disagrees. "You mean heal," she corrects him tenderly. "But... I'll be honest; it's not usual for us to have children early in the Capitol anyway. I don't think I'd be ready."

As much as she loves Treech, she knows she'd feel suffocated if he wanted children right now. After all, although she doesn't consider them her role models, her own parents only got married in their twenties and had her and her brothers even later. They had time. But out here in the Districts, she sees people her own age getting married already. It makes her feel a bit nervous, even though she knows Treech would never pressure her.

Knowing that the next step, according to Seven's traditions at least, is all in her hands makes her feel better. It brings her some peace of mind to know that it'll be her who decides when they'll get engaged in the future.

"We'll cross that bridge when we get to it," he mumbles after a short while. Then his gaze sweeps down to his niece. "She's really cute, though. Almost makes me think she can't be Flint's. The guy's a nightmare to be around sometimes."

Recalling the man's relentless teasing, June has to stifle a laugh. Treech's eyes soften, and he tucks her closer against him. He knows it's a silly thought, but sitting here with the girl he loves and a little girl in his arms fills him with a desperate longing for a future he'd like to have one day.

However, the Games weigh him down heavily. It's already torture for him to know that he can't protect his younger siblings from going through what he had to endure, but the thought of one day having to watch his children be ripped away from him makes him feel sick. He remembers how devastated his parents were, and he knows he'd be just the same.

And besides, even if they were to win by some miracle, they would never be the same person again. He sees the pain in his parents' eyes whenever his trauma resurfaces, and he doesn't know if he'd be able to handle the same.

A comfortable silence spreads, and Treech leans his head back against the couch, unable to stifle a yawn. He can hear his mother talking outside, but pushes it aside since she most likely just bumped into a friend of hers. "This is contagious," he murmurs, placing his hand on the back of Cherry's head for support. "I'm not tired, I promise."

June lets out a laugh, and admittedly, seeing him so relaxed does make her bones feel a bit heavy. "Sure, you're not." She teases him lightly and lifts her legs off the ground, tucking them against her body to curl further into him. "And you're definitely not making me want to sleep either."

Treech smiles and lets her lean on him, a pleasant warmth seeping into his body at the feeling of her weight pressed up against him. "Then we're definitely not going to take a nap right here," he says, sounding just about ready to doze right off. His eyelids begin feeling heavy, and when her familiar scent reaches his nose, the last bit of tension in his body subsides, and he willingly lets his exhaustion take over.

She watches him for a moment, keeping a close eye on the way his eyelids flutter at first until he gives up and almost goes limp right then and there. She caresses his cheek with the back of her hand, which makes him exhale softly, and she's ready to join him when his mother's voice outside grows louder, her cheery laughter reaching her ears as well.

"Oh no, don't you worry, sweetie. They should be right in, I promise," Treech's mom says. "Careful, mind your step. You sure you got it? I can take your bags; it's no problem."

The prospect of a visitor makes June and Treech snap out of their exhaustion almost in an instant. Treech's eyes open, his gaze becomes wary, his shoulders grow tense, and he seems to be bracing himself for something incredibly uncomfortable. June feels anxiety crawling up her spine as well at the thought of someone being here specifically for either one or maybe even both of them.

"It's alright, ma'am. I've got it," someone replies. "I've had it with me the entire time; I don't mind a few more steps."

June's eyes widen, and her heart is beating so loudly that she swears it's about to jump out of her chest. It's been too long since she last heard that voice, and although her mind is yelling at her to get up and run outside, she finds herself almost paralyzed. She glances at Treech out of the corners of her eyes and sees that he looks just as shocked as her.

"Well, if you say so - Careful, mind your step," Treech's mother can be heard saying. The footsteps grow louder. "Go right ahead; they should be in there."

The porch creaks heavily, a hand is placed on the doorframe, and someone curiously pokes his head inside. June's mouth goes dry as her eyes lock with a pair almost identical to her own, and the visitor's eyes widen before they soften and the corners of his eyes crinkle as he smiles.

She swears he looks almost identical to the day she left him at the train station a little less than a month ago. Cas has a jacket draped over his arm, sports a white button-up shirt, and a pair of dark pants, along with his leather shoes, which have clearly seen better days. But the biggest relief is the fact that he's here - unharmed, smiling, and with a bag in his other hand that is almost packed to the brim.

For a second, June's mouth opens and closes as she finds herself speechless. Her body moves automatically as she pushes herself off the couch and almost leaps across the room to get to her brother. Cas drops his bag to the floor and opens his arms without so much as a second thought. His sister immediately goes for a tight hug, and he wraps his arms around her, bending down just a tad to hug her better.

His familiar scent reaches her nose immediately, and the final confirmation that he's indeed here and alive breaks her floodgates. Her shoulders tremble in his embrace, and Cas squeezes her, his cologne mixing in with the slight hint of cookie batter and leather that clings to his clothes. He places a hand on the back of her head, mumbles something unintelligible, and tests the feeling of her strand between his fingers.

He kisses the crown of her head and allows himself a glance around the room, only to find the house's interior almost entirely deserted. He makes eye contact with Treech, who is visibly caught between surprise, relief, and happiness, and they exchange a brief smile. Although they haven't spent that much time together, they still got along, and it lifts a huge weight off Treech's shoulders as well to see him alive and in Seven in one piece.

Treech's mother wipes her eyes quickly and places her hands on either twin's back, rubbing small circles before she steps back.

June only pulls away when her own tears have dried and looks up at her brother, placing a hand on his cheek as a last confirmation that she's not making things up. She sniffles. "I missed you," she rasps, forcing out a laugh, only to wipe at her cheeks with her sleeve. "I haven't heard from you in a while... I was so scared."

"I wanted to write, but I didn't know if it would have arrived on time. I've just... been on edge ever since you left," he admits, clearing his throat. His eyes sweep over her entire face, and he notices that, despite looking more tired than she did in the Capitol, she's alright. "Seven suits you," he mumbles after a moment. "You look good."

She nods. "Sejanus said something like that a while back," she tells him, and the look on his face gives her the feeling he already knows he's here. "You look good too. Did you cut down on the posca?"

"And the cigarettes," he answers. He sniffles as well. His shoulder is soaked from her tears, but he doesn't mind. He'll take any little confirmation that he's not dreaming, no matter what. "Haven't touched either since you left."

June's eyes soften, and she heaves a sigh, catching the tear that rolls down his cheek with her finger. "How was your trip?" She asks quietly.

Something between embarrassment and amusement crosses his face. "The train ride was fine. I mean, extremely long, yes, but I slept for most of it," he admits. "I guess I looked a bit lost trying to find this place, though. I think it was obvious enough that I'm not from around here because this old gentleman with a horse and carriage almost ran me over."

When he sees her alarmed look, he quickly waves it off. "It's fine, though. I told him where I was headed, and he took me here," he adds. "For free," he murmurs, as if he still can't believe it himself.

A smile tugs at June's lips. "I've been there," she lets him know. There are so many things on her mind that she's honestly not sure where to start. Her mind begs her to inquire about her family, but she'd rather not overwhelm him immediately, so she opts to take a look at his bag. "That looks like you brought a lot of stuff."

"I couldn't really decide," Cas admits. "It wasn't easy, but I managed to get a hold of everything I thought I'd need here. And I even got our diplomas."

A look of surprise quickly stretches across her face. Of course, June was very well aware that life in the Capitol would simply resume as per usual even without her there, but she never really thought about it. It feels strange to know that her friends are moving on in life just like she is, all without ever knowing what is happening in each other's lives.

"Our diplomas?" She questions incredulously.

"Yeah. We both graduated with high honors," Cas responds with a little smile. He shakes his head. "I'll show you later."

"High honors," Treech repeats from behind them, watching the scene in front of him unfold with a visibly touched smile on his face. "I knew you two were smart, but that's insane."

June smiles back at him and squeezes her brother's arms before she lets go of him, although reluctantly.

Cas looks at her and shifts his weight when Treech approaches. His eyes drop down to the little girl in his arms, and Cas' eyebrows furrow automatically, glancing back and forth between her sister and her boyfriend as if he's trying to do the math in his head.

It's not making any sense. But with the dark curls and dark eyes that are staring up at him in wonder, little Cherry could pass as Treech's daughter without so much as a doubt. And who else would be the mother, if not June?

"That's my niece," Treech quickly says before Cas' mind starts conjuring even more scenarios that are entirely impossible. He shoots his mom a pleading look, and she quickly understands, whisking her granddaughter out of her son's arms and cooing at the way she yawns.

Treech shakes his head. "It's good to see you," he says honestly, looking up at his girlfriend's twin brother with a genuine smile on his face. He steps closer and is unsure whether or not he should go in for a hug, but it seems that's a sentiment both boys share as they awkwardly tiptoe around each other.

"Guys..." June shakes her head in disbelief and places her hands on her hips in mock exasperation.

They both shoot her a look, but eventually settle for an awkward embrace that only makes her hide her laughter behind her hand. They pat each other's backs and step away from one another, only to shake hands again.

"It's good to see you too," Cas replies. He wants to ask if everything is alright with his sister, but the unbridled joy on her face says enough. "How are you holding up? Did you make a full recovery?"

"We're... uh, we're workin' on it," Treech tells him, but waves it off quickly. "Come on, we can't stand here forever. Let's get you settled in first, and then we'll talk."

"That's a great idea!" His mother chimes in, clearly pleased by his thoughtfulness. "Cas, sweetie, you must be tired. How about some tea?"

Relief washes over Cas in an instant, and some of the last remaining tension leaves his body. He sighs. "Yeah," he answers truthfully. "Yes, that would be wonderful. Thank you."

ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ

It seems that Cas is the next person to truly experience the serenity of District Seven.

The three of them are sitting beneath the apple tree next to the family's house, basking in the shade. A slight breeze occasionally sweeps over them, and the one sound that really dominates the scenery is Treech working his knife on the wood in his hands. He wants to finish the carving as soon as possible and knows there's no better time than when his sister is not at home.

But Cas is here. Finally, after almost an excruciating month, June is reunited with her twin brother and pretty much refuses to let him out of her sight and grasp. Her knee touches his as they sit next to each other in a criss-cross position, while Treech's shoulder is rubbing against hers every single time he moves. It's not as warm as it was around the time of Treech's birthday, but she still can't help but be acutely aware of the fact that the top buttons of her boyfriend's shirt are unbuttoned.

It's not her fault. She's also just a girl.

Cas talks about mundane things at first, as it seems none of them want to dive into the deep topics immediately. He talks about his trip (which sounds just about as eventful as Treech's and June's ride back to Seven), talks about a very boring graduation ceremony, and then there's something else about Hilarius and Pup that she admittedly doesn't pay much attention to.

Countless thoughts swarm her head and make it impossible to think straight, but what piques her interest is him telling her that some of their professors who believe she left the Capitol for Treech actually think it's romantic. Sad, maybe, but romantic.

"Professor Click really said that?" June looks at her brother in disbelief. "I don't know how I feel about that. I didn't know she could be so... sentimental."

Cas snorts, resting his head against the tree bark. Being here reminds him of their family's lush garden all the way back in the Capitol, just that nature here is free to grow however it likes.

He can't help but feel like it's the same for the people here as well. For the first time in a long while, he feels like his sister is being her most authentic self and not catering to the image of the perfect daughter their parents have chosen for her.

"You'd be surprised. Or maybe it's just the prospect of a new gymnasium that has her acting like that. I thought she was going to swoon," he says. "I think it's probably the latter. I haven't seen her that happy in years."

June nods. "Good for her, I suppose. I'm sure Sejanus' father will have some fun paying for that," she muses weakly. Then something else comes to her mind. "Coriolanus was sent to Eight, by the way."

The mention of the other mentor is enough to make Treech snap out of his concentration and let out a displeased huff. "Not far enough, if you're asking me," he mutters. "They should've just sent him out of Panem. As far away as possible."

When the twins both shoot him a look, Treech scoffs. "What?" He retorts. "We were all thinking it."

"I'm just glad that Sejanus is here," June says after a moment of silence, absent-mindedly running her hand down Treech's arm. "I mean, I'm sure he would've found people anywhere, but... I don't know. I'd rather have him near us. I don't like the thought of him being somewhere else."

"I didn't like the thought of him following Coriolanus," Cas concedes, folding his hands on his lap. "I know that this might just be me growing increasingly paranoid, but I've lost all trust in him after what he did. I never had anything against him before, but...

June hums when her brother begins to trail off. "He has enough time to think about the things he did and the things he tried to do," she says quietly. "Twenty years is a long time."

The secret of what happened in the arena the night they went to retrieve Sejanus hangs heavily in the air. Treech looks up from his work and gazes at June fondly, but even he can't deny that he still has some questions.

"I know we've been dancing around the topic 'cause it sucks to talk about it," he says. "But other than your folks from school, how'd your parents take it?"

He knows that he can lie to himself all he wants, but Treech knows that deep down, nothing scares him more than June being ripped away from him again. He knows that the Capitol knows where he is, meaning they also know that she's with him.

And he knows that if they really, really wanted to, her parents would have all the money, power, and influence to get her back. He doesn't think he'd be able to last long without her, so the threat of them coming after her and now Cas too always weighs him down heavily.

He knows they could. That alone is enough to terrify him because he knows neither of them want to go.

June looks at her brother almost fearfully and watches the way he opens his mouth, only to stop himself right before he says something. Cas swallows, forces himself to take a deep breath, but then speaks up.

"Dad seemed rather... apathetic. He said that you'd change your mind when he read your letter, but... The more time passed, I feel like he was just pretending like it wasn't happening," he tells them. He furrows his brows. "I almost had the feeling he was trying to pretend that you don't exist. He's pushing it away, I think."

She wants to act surprised, but she can't say that this is news to her. Even during the war, her father's coping mechanism was always more work, more things to fill his schedule, so that he would have less time to think about what was really happening.

If he ever got heated about one thing, it had to be the districts. Not so much before the war, but after his father was killed, he developed a particular kind of hatred for Seven. It led him to manipulate the mentor assignment after all, and it's what drove his daughter right into her assigned tribute's arms.

It's the first time June has ever felt some sort of gratitude for her father's attitude. She was supposed to resent Treech and grow to hate Seven just like her father once did, but it had the exact opposite effect.

"That sounds like him," she muses weakly, unable to say more at first. "I'd rather have that than him losing his mind, but I suppose he's always been good at hiding how he feels."

Cas hums. "Mom is... She's not taking it well," he says. "She still thinks you're coming back. And I heard her talking to dad a few weeks ago as well. Apparently she blames the Games, Dr. Gaul, the tributes... You get the gist of it."

He sighs. "It's like right after the war all over again. Pointing fingers until she finds a suitable scapegoat," he murmurs. "But if she was already unstable after you left, I can't help but feel like me doing the same thing might as well be like dealing the final blow."

June frowns and immediately places a hand on her brother's arm. "That's not your fault, Cas. You had to leave," she reminds him. "You've been doing so much for me and everyone else; you have to think of yourself this once."

"She's still our mother, though," Cas answers quietly. "As much as we disagree with her and what she does... I find it easier to understand her than dad."

He looks over at her. "You know what I mean. Dad would pick the Capitol over any of us, but mom genuinely thinks she's doing us a favor with her research for the Gamemakers," he says.

Of course, he would never be able to excuse her involvement in the Games. But at the end of the day, he knows the Capitol is simply exploiting their mother's trauma, and she's too far gone to realize it.

He frowns and, with a shake of his head, continues to speak. "It's a shame that she can't realize that what she's doing is not helping any of us," he says. "Because I know she could do better."

The knowledge that their mother is simply in too deep hangs heavily in the air, and June frowns as well. She shifts her weight to rest against her brother and heaves a sigh.

"Do you think she knows?" She asks after a moment's silence. "Because I didn't do anything before I left. I just left the fake antivenom in her study because I figured a missing one would be suspicious."

Cas falls silent for a couple of seconds. He recalls hearing his mother's sobs from inside her study, but also knows that she's not in there for no reason. He has seen and heard things, none of which are good. But for his sister's sake, he'd like to keep some parts of it hidden. He knows leaving hurt her enough as it is.

"I'm not sure. It sounds like they're already working on something different for next year's Games," Cas mumbles. "They were a complete success this year. People loved it."

June is a bit torn. On one hand, she feels relieved to know that her mother might never find out that she took an antivenom she worked on, but on the other hand, the knowledge that this year's Games and, to an extent, her involvement in them are making way for many more Games makes her feel uneasy.

Even when they were forced into the interview after the Games, June knew that they were basically doing more advertising. She's still unsure what exactly made it into the interview's final cuts, but she knows it can't have been harmless.

Her gaze flickers over to Treech, who absent-mindedly resumes his work, although he tenses at the mention of the Games alone. A comfortable breeze ruffles through his curls, and June can't help but be grateful for how much his mental state has improved ever since he came back home.

He relapses often, but when he's having a good day, his good day is a lot better than his 'good' days in the Capitol were. The threat of another bad day is always present, but she finds it easier to pull him out of it here.

"I had a feeling," June admits with a frown. "But I believe we did what we could. We could... We could never stop the Games as a whole. The most we could do was jeopardize them from the inside."

Cas hums. "They made it a bit too easy for us, I think. I'm surprised no one except Highbottom caught on," he says. "I'm sure Dr. Gaul did as well, but I suppose the lack of proof made her drop it. She hasn't asked to see me once."

June feels relief crashing over her in tidal waves just from hearing that alone. She rests her head against her brother's shoulder, content to soak up his warmth, and inhales deeply.

"I'm glad," she says softly. "That woman was my biggest concern. She's terrifying."

The one thing she's grateful for is that Treech never had to come face-to-face with her.

"Mine too. Being cooped up in the lab all day long made me feel like I was losing my mind," Cas says. "Always the riddles and... I almost debated throwing myself into the snake tank a few times so I wouldn't need to hear her blabbering anymore."

She stifles a laugh and wants to chide him for that terribly timed joke, but she knows he's right. Whenever Dr. Gaul was at the Academy, June felt like she couldn't relax. To be around her all day long must've taken a huge toll on him.

However, she knows his reasons. After everything that went wrong, Cas must've felt like he had to get Treech home. He couldn't save Sheaf from the Capitol, and while Treech might have suffered, he's alive and reunited with his loved ones. That makes all he had to endure worth it.

He sees the look she's giving him and laughs. "I'm serious. It's worse than Max whenever he and his friends invent a new game," Cas says with a roll of his eyes.

He clears his throat when June's gaze saddens. "He's... alright. I think he's taking it better than mom and dad, but he had a lot of questions," he explains. "Mostly about what you're going to do here in Seven. I guess he doesn't fully understand that we're not coming back yet."

They exchange a look that says so much more than words could ever say. Neither one of them ever wanted to leave their little brother in their parents' and the Capitol's reach, but with the Games being a threat to every child in the Districts, they simply couldn't take the risk.

"I just hope he doesn't turn out like them," June mumbles, voicing one of her biggest fears aloud. "I wish it was easier to contact him. This must be hard for him too."

Treech, who has been silent for a good while now, lifts his head and looks over at the siblings, who are now silently bonding over their shared worry for their little brother. And yet, an idea comes to mind.

"I know you two can't send him letters or anything like that, but... isn't Sejanus still in touch with his parents?" He asks. Both of their heads turn towards him, and he sees the confusion on their faces. But June's nod urges him to continue.

"Dunno if they're opening the letters or controlling them, but maybe you could sneak in something for him," he suggests. "But how that'd get to him..."

The twins exchange a surprised look.

"That... that might actually work," Cas says, almost sounds annoyed that he didn't come up with it. "No, that's a brilliant idea. I know Sejanus wouldn't mind."

But that's an understatement, and they both know it. He'd break his legs for his friends.

The prospect of being able to somehow keep in touch with her little brother is enough to make June tear up. All this time, she had been so worried that she'd never see or hear from him again. She sniffles, and the sound is enough to make both of them turn to look at her, panic written all over their faces. She wipes her eyes and gives them a teary smile.

"Are you alright?" Cas asks, worry etched on his face. He's smiling anyway because he knows her well enough to know that she's crying happy tears. "June?"

She shakes her head. "I'm just... happy, I guess," she rasps, unsure whether to lean against her boyfriend or brother for comfort. "Makes me feel like things are finally getting better for all of us."

"'Cause they are," Treech says, running the back of his hand over her wet cheek. She's crying, but she looks happier than she has in a long time. "It'll be fine, sweetheart. We're here."

Cas watches on as the couple next to him exchange a few short kisses. He has seen them kiss before and knows this is mild in comparison to the kiss right after the Games, but he still can't help but feel slightly awkward. He's happy for them, sure, but he still awkwardly drums his fingers on his leg as he secretly waits for it to be over.

When Treech pulls away, they briefly make eye contact, and Cas can easily tell that he's embarrassed. "What?" He eventually asks. "Don't look at me. You're not getting one from me."

Treech tries to look disgusted but has to laugh anyway. "Don't worry. You're not my type anyway," he merely shoots back and grins. "And I'm not giving you a goodnight kiss either, no matter how nicely you ask."

June laughs, but then realizes something. She wipes her cheeks with her sleeves and straightens up a bit. "We haven't talked about it yet, but where is Cas going to sleep?" She asks. "With us?"

She wouldn't mind. And it would remind her of sleepovers they'd have as children.

However, both boys seem to see things differently.

"No."

The answer leaves their mouths almost simultaneously, and the confusion June feels is palpable.

"What?" She questions, not sure who to look at first. "Why not?"

Cas furrows his brows and shoots Treech an amused look. "Yeah," he joins in. "Why not?"

"Uh... nightmares?"

Cas rolls his eyes, clearly not buying Treech's act. "At least try to sound convincing."

June gives Treech a confused look. Truthfully, she would have believed Treech in an instant, but she does trust her brother's judgment. It takes her a moment, but when she realizes how Cas interpreted his words, she finds herself about to reprimand Treech.

She doesn't get very far.

"I was kidding!" Treech quickly says, retreating full force. "'Course he can stay with us. The couch won't do."

Cas eyes him both skeptically and amusedly. "Thank you," he eventually says. "But if I'm hearing strange things, I will be taking the couch."

June lets out a laugh, unsure who to curl into. She finds herself resting against her brother's shoulder, and smiles when she feels the weight of her boyfriend's head on her own shoulder. The knowledge that her favorite people are alive and safe gives her some peace of mind.

This is all she ever wanted - to be with the people she loves.

ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ

i missed you

ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ

FINALLY. cas in D7. so so glad i didn't kill him off off-screen (i was threatened) (june would've never recovered)

one more chapter and the epilogue... i feel weird. I DON'T LIKE THIS

but! i will be posting the next treech story immediately after the epilogue. i promise <3

^ if you'd like to get a dedication, please let me know!! (not you, lua. i know i don't need to ask <3) i'd be happy to!!

have a nice wednesday, and see you on friday!! <3333

memes!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.9K 412 16
IN WHICH, The boy who frequents your father's workshop carves a place for himself in your heart. 'He's looking at you. He's looking at you as if you'...
29.2K 1.1K 27
"take me to the lakes where all the poets went to die" in which a capitol girl falls for her tribute content warnings: swearing, death, violence, men...
6.8K 301 33
β€’ Athena Spring has spent her entire life carefully curating the perfect image. Perfect grades, a proud family, and the Plinth Prize nearly within he...
53.8K 1.4K 25
"you're a dream, truly." summary: you didn't meet the requirements for the plinth prize, only to find out that you're not just missing out on that- y...