How Long Is Forever?

Da sidewardsdog

Progression of Jane Rizzoli and Maura Isle's relationship, starts during Season 6 and continues on throughout... Altro

Cohabitation
Sibling Talks
Family Dinner
Date Night
Finally Move In Day
Just A Lazy Sunday
Otherwise Engaged
Yours, Mine and Ours
Engagement Party
For Richer or Poorer
Is This A Snapshot Into Married Life?
Change
Coming To Terms With Moving On
The Future Is On It's Way
New Addition
The Wheel Of Time Continues Turning
Countdown
Wedding Bells
Mrs.and Dr. Rizzoli-Isles
Italia
Settling Into New Surroundings
The Next Big Case
Just Normal Everydays
Next Steps
First Days
Frankie's Announcement

Back to Boston

3 0 0
Da sidewardsdog

As Jane and Maura sat together in their cozy living room in Virginia, the weight of their conversation hung heavy in the air. It had been 15 months since they had made the move from Boston, and lately, they found themselves reconsidering their decision.

"I can't help but feel like something's missing," Maura admitted, her voice tinged with uncertainty. "We have done everything to make a new life, a new home here but it still doesn't seem like home."

Jane nodded in understanding, her own feelings mirroring Maura's. "I know what you mean. Virginia is beautiful, but it's just not the same. I miss our friends, our family, the sense of community we had back in Boston."

They fell into a thoughtful silence, each lost in their own thoughts as they considered the implications of their conversation. Moving to Virginia had seemed like the right decision at the time, a fresh start in a new place with new opportunities. But now, as they reflected on their lives in Boston, they couldn't shake the feeling that they had left something important behind.

"I think we need to seriously consider our options," Jane said finally, breaking the silence. "Maybe it's time to think about moving back to Boston. I have 3 more months before my official hiatus with BPD is done. If moving back is something we want to consider then I think we need to think fast."

Maura nodded in agreement, a sense of relief washing over her at Jane's words. "I think you're right, Jane. It's time for us to reassess our priorities and make a decision that feels right for both of us."

"Would you be willing to transfer back to the MEND in Boston?" Jane questioned Maura again as they relaxed on the sofa.

"Yes, I would think this office is up and running sufficiently and I can work on all of the administration tasks from anywhere really." Maura thought.

Beacon began barking at a bird outside the sliding glass door.

"See even Beacon wants to consider moving back to Boston." Jane pointed at the overjoyed Labrador at the door.

"Let's give it some thought Jane. We have put 15 months into building a life here, it deserves to some time to weigh all the options." Maura said getting up to change the laundry.

"You're right." Jane said as she started to get up to follow Maura. "What if we went back next weekend? We could judge how life feels back there?"

"That sounds like a good idea Jane, please let your mother know we will be coming. We can set a timeline to find our plan forward in one month so we have ample time to see all aspects of life in both areas" Maura said as she handed Jane a basket of clean clothes.

Later that evening, after their heartfelt conversation about reconsidering their move to Virginia, Jane decided to reach out to her brother, Frankie, to discuss their thoughts about moving back to Boston while walking Beacon. With a sense of determination, she dialed his number, her heart pounding with anticipation. Frankie had always been the sounding board to most of her important life decisions and she didn't want to not get his advice on this one.

"Hey, Janie, what's up?" Frankie's cheerful voice greeted her on the other end of the line.

"Hey, Frankie," Jane replied, her voice tinged with seriousness. "I need to talk to you about something important."

Frankie sensed the gravity in Jane's tone and grew immediately attentive. "Of course, what's going on? Is Maura pregnant? Is it your baby?" Frankie laughed a bit to lighten the mood.

"No, Maura is not pregnant, and you are starting to sound like Ma. And give me a break Frankie if we are going to go through all the extra steps needed for Maura to have a baby you better believe it would be mine." Then taking a deep breath, Jane launched into the conversation, explaining to Frankie the doubts she and Maura had been having about their decision to move to Virginia and their growing desire to move back to Boston.

"We miss it, Frankie, I miss it" Jane admitted, her voice filled with emotion. "We miss family, our friends, the city... everything. Virginia is nice, but it's just not the same. No matter how many chances I give it this just doesn't seem to be the fit for me. I am pretty much doing the same job just from a stuffy office for most of the time. If I am going to hunt murderers and serial killers, I want todo it from a desk in Boston."

Frankie listened quietly, his heart going out to his sister and Maura. He knew how much they had struggled with the decision to move, and he couldn't bear to see them unhappy.

"I understand, Janie," Frankie said finally, his voice filled with empathy. "I miss you guys too. Boston just hasn't been the same without you. Cavanaugh still hasn't filled the lieutenant position. I think he is secretly waiting for you to come back. Some of the guys have been getting antsy about it and he just says when he finds the right candidate he will let everyone know."

Encouraged by Frankie's understanding, Jane felt a sense of relief wash over her. "Thanks, Frankie. It means a lot to hear you say that. I took that lieutenant test before I left at his request. I would hate to see all that work and my years at BPD go to waste. You wouldn't mind if I came back as Lieutenant, I mean technically I would be your boss?"

Frankie laughed a little while saying "Well Janie you are my older sister, so technically you have sort of been my boss my whole life. Also now that Nina and I are married we have been discussing having kids and I would love for their Aunt Janie to be close by. Cavanuagh suggested I look forward to taking the Sargent's exam in the next year, so what do you know, I may be moving up the ranks also."

They continued to talk for a while longer, discussing their options and brainstorming ideas for how Jane and Maura could make the transition back to Boston. Beacon continued sniffing every few feet during their walk extending Jane and Frankie's conversation.

"Well Frankie, we are almost home I should run. Do me a favor and don't mention this to Ma. You know she will freak out and Maura wants to wait on an official decision in a month. Oh and I almost forgot we will be back in town next weekend if you are free to hang out."

"No worries about Ma," Frankie said "I completely understand. Janie, are you really waiting for an official decision in a month?"

'Well, keep it between you and me, if our jobs can line back up in Boston, I think it's a done deal but happy wife happy life little brother. I gotta run talk to you later."

Jane and Beacon made it up the drive and back through the sliding glass doors on the patio just as she hung up the phone.

Returning to Boston for a visit filled Jane and Maura with a mix of nostalgia and excitement. As they stepped through the door of their old house, memories flooded back, each corner of the familiar space holding a story from their past. Beacon ran through the living room jumping on her bed and grabbing one of her toys they has left.

"It's like we never left," Maura remarked, her voice tinged with nostalgia as she looked around the living room, a fond smile playing at her lips.

Jane nodded in agreement, a sense of warmth flooding her heart at the sight of their cozy home. "Yeah, it feels good to be back," she replied, her eyes sweeping over the familiar surroundings.

Over the course of their visit, Jane and Maura reconnected with old friends and family, spending long hours catching up and reminiscing about the good times they had shared. They revisited their favorite haunts in the city, taking long walks through the bustling streets and enjoying meals at their favorite restaurants.

As they settled into their old routine, Jane and Maura found themselves falling back in love with Boston all over again. The sense of community they had missed in Virginia was palpable, and they reveled in the familiar sights and sounds of the city they had once called home.

Jane visited Cavanaugh and inquired about coming back from hiatus one afternoon while in Boston. He gave her all the necessary details and paperwork needed to make that dream happen. He also pressed Jane for her return date but she had to resign to promise to tell him as soon as she and Maura had made a decision.

Maura had visited Hope at the MEND in Boston the same afternoon. She and Hope had talked what it would look like for Maura to potentially move back and work out of the Boston clinic. Hope admitted it would make some things much easier with them being in the same building, decisions that took a few days via phone and email could now be made with a quick in person meeting. She did express to Maura that she worried the Virginia office may suffer with Maura's leadership not there. Maura agreed to look at all the pros and cons and assured Hope, she and Jane were not making a rash decision about moving.

Gathered around the dining table in their old house in Boston, Jane and Maura found themselves surrounded by familiar faces and the comforting aroma of a home-cooked meal. It was a family dinner filled with laughter, shared stories, and the joy of being reunited with loved ones.

Angela, Frankie, and Tommy were there, along with a few close friends who had become like family over the years. The room was alive with chatter and laughter as they passed around plates of food and shared anecdotes from their lives.

Angela bustled about the kitchen, her apron tied securely around her waist as she dished out generous helpings of her famous lasagna. "I'm so glad you girls are visiting," she exclaimed, her eyes shining with happiness as she set a steaming plate in front of Jane and Maura. "It's not the same without you here."

Frankie grinned from ear to ear as he raised his glass in a toast. "To family," he said, his voice filled with warmth. "There's nothing more important than being together."

As Jane and Maura settled into bed after their family dinner, the conversation turned once again to the topic that had been weighing on their minds – the possibility of moving back to Boston. With the events of the day fresh in their minds and their hearts full from spending time with loved ones, they found themselves revisiting the idea with renewed determination.

"I can't shake the feeling that Boston is where we belong," Jane admitted, her voice soft in the darkness of their bedroom. "Being back here, with our family and friends, it just feels right."

Maura nodded in agreement, her thoughts echoing Jane's sentiments. "I feel it too, Jane. Being here, surrounded by the familiar sights and sounds of the city... it's like coming home."

They fell into a thoughtful silence, each lost in their own thoughts as they considered the implications of their decision. Moving back to Boston would mean uprooting their lives once again, but the pull of the city and the sense of belonging they felt there was undeniable.

"Do you think we're making the right decision?" Maura asked quietly, her voice tinged with uncertainty.

Jane reached out to take Maura's hand in hers, squeezing it gently. "I think so, Maura. We've talked about it a lot, and deep down, I know it's what we both want. We also both have jobs here so it isn't starting new, it just transitioning back. "

Maura squeezed Jane's hand in return, a sense of reassurance flooding through her at the touch of her partner's hand. "You're right, Jane. Boston is where our hearts are, and I think it's time we follow them. Hope would like me to secure better leadership for MEND in Virginia. That was her highest concern when we discussed moving."

"Well now that we seem to have made a decision, you now have three months rather than two to get everything in order. I plan to start on the paperwork Cavanaugh sent me with as soon as we get back. I would like to get everything lined up here before even talking to the FBI." Jane replied with a yawn.

"I feel much better that we have a decision and goals to work towards now." Maura said as she snuggled into Jane's side.

With Maura nestled against her chest, Jane sighed softly, savoring the feeling of being close to the woman she loved. She ran her fingers through Maura's hair, tracing gentle circles on her back as they lay together in the quiet of their bedroom.

Maura snuggled closer, her head resting against Jane's shoulder as she listened to the steady rhythm of her heartbeat. In that moment, there was nowhere else she'd rather be than in Jane's arms, feeling safe and loved.

They lay together in comfortable silence, their breathing synchronized as they basked in the simple pleasure of each other's company. And as they drifted off to sleep, wrapped in the warmth of their love, they knew that no matter what the future held, as long as they had each other, they would always find solace in their embrace.

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerà anche

36.5K 671 31
Jane leaves to join the army without telling anyone. What happens when she comes back five years later? Why did she leaves the army? What is it lik...
39.3K 617 49
I own no rights to the characters names. This is fanfic Sexual content, triggers of suicide Jane Rizzoli only has a few weeks of school left and ne...
44.3K 910 85
Maura Isles and Arizona Robbins are best friends. They are both in their Senior Year of high school. They are driving around after school one day and...
44.6K 1K 104
Jane Rizzoli and Maura Isles are both 17 and in their 2nd semester of their senior year. They went into foster care at 7, after they were in a plane...