Beastly Desires

By Jesssayhello

No. It couldn't be. Why would she desire him and in that way specifically? He was a beast. He wasn't entirely... More

Before
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Fourty-One
Chapter Fourty-Two
Chapter Fourty-Three
Chapter Fourty-Four
Chapter Fourty-Five
Chapter Fourty-Six
Chapter Fourty-Seven
Chapter Fourty-Eight
Chapter Fourty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chalter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty- Three
Chapter Sixty- Four
Final Chapter
Author Notes

Chapter Fourty

2 0 0
By Jesssayhello

Colette blew warm air into her gloved fingers. She took the liberty of wandering around to the backside of the castle. It was cold outside and the sun was shielded by grey, slithering clouds. The sky looked heavy with rain and she hoped  it did not let down as she made her way along a sloping, gravel path that led towards a small cathedral. The cathedral was built in a small clearing between two, towering, planted trees. Their limbs were bare and rugged looking and the color of their bark was similar to that of the sky. Snow crusted the ground around the cathedral. It's thin, brittle covering we're the remains after yesterday's surprisingly warm evening sun.

She wasn't sure what she would do once she made her way into the wooden doors of the cathedral but she had to distance herself from the castle. It felt too crowded when she ran into Sébastien this morning. His presence and the longing in his eyes made her feel overwhelmed, especially after the conversation she had with her father. She would leave tomorrow morning and travel back home, alone. Back to Gregorie. From what her father had said, Sébastien out of the kindness of his heart offered him permanent residency here for the rest of his life. On one condition. That she would never come to visit him. Her fathers request. But she knew deep down that Sébastien had possibly agreed to it as well. He did tell her to run for her life. From him. Was that what she was doing? Running?

Colette made it to the doors of the Cathedral and pushed them open. A blast of cold, dusty air rushed past her and the hinges of the door groaned as they parted. It was a small cathedral, more than likely intended for family members only. Four pews filled the space and an altar stood at the front. Two arched, stained glass windows lined both walls and a beautiful, brightly colored rose window loomed above the altar on the back wall. A shelf of gold candelabras set beneath the ornate window.

Colette found solitude in a back pew and sat in quiet prayer. She recited the words and prayed to be released from this feeling she had towards Sebastian. She prayed that her marriage to Gregorie would be enough  and that her father would be safe and content with living here for the rest of his life.
She hadn't realized the tears that fell silently from her face as she said amen. She wiped at her eyes with the back of her glove and stared into the rose window. The light trickling in through the numerous petals filtered through the orange and red glass creating a hazy swirl of flame colored light. It reminded her of Sébastien's eyes and she wished she could have painted them before she left tomorrow.

A cold breeze blew through the cathedral and she turned in her seat to see Niel walk in. He stumbled back, surprised to see her. Colette stood immediately. "I'm sorry. I can leave if you need privacy."

Niel gave her a pleasant smile and gestured for her to stay. So she sat back down and he closed the doors behind him. She watched him walk up to the altar and kneel. He prayed silently for a few minutes before rising and coming back to her. He reached out his hand and she took it. He guided them outside and around to the back of the cathedral where a large cemetery plot was.

This must be where Aarav had told her Sébastien buried his family members after he mercilessly killed them. An unpleasant weight settled into her as Niel brought them to stand in front of a grave. This grave was smaller than the others and sat outside the clustered, towering gravestones of his immediate family. There was nothing ornate about the little hedge stone that protruded from the icy ground, other than the name engraved into it with bold, narrow letters.

AYRA

Colette looked to Niel for more information. "Who is this?"

His eyes darkened and he pulled a folded piece of parchment from his pocket and placed it into her palm. He turned away to walk and observe the other hedge stones while she opened up the note and read it silently to herself.

Here lies Ayra. She was seven and twenty years old when she came to the castle. She was a spinster and a peasant. Lord Sébastien took her in and gave her respite as her brother had been slain by wolves on their travels. She was fearless, stubborn and enjoyed reading. Lord Sébastien read to her almost everyday and soon their acquaintance blossomed into an unspoken desire towards one another. She did not know the power she could have wielded towards the curse placed on us. On Sébastien. She did not know that she flirted with death. Lord Sébastien fell to her pursuit and they both divulged in their desires toward one another one night. The Lord knew the consequences that would follow. Ayra did not live to see another day as her desires were wasted on a curse she could not break. For she did not love him when she gave herself to him. And after their consummation, Ayra passed away because of it and Lord Sébastien remained a beast. It is not a woman who will set Lord Sébastien free of this curse. It will be him who sets himself free by living to be better than who he was when he took Celeste against her will. He swore not to take another's life but to cherish the life he now has.

Colette stared at the hedgestone and now understood why Sébastien urged her to leave. If he fell prey to his desires and took her she would die.

She looked up to see Niel making his way back towards her through the gravestones. She handed him the letter and he tucked it away, offering his arm to her and a reassuring tilt of his head. He had known Sébastien desired her and was protecting her by sharing this personal information. Was this the reason Sébastien had refrain from telling her how to break the curse the time she asked him in the library.

"Thank you." She murmured and linked her arm through his. "Thank you for sharing that with me. I'm sorry about Ayra."

He gave her a small smile but it did not reach his eyes. There was sadness behind them and she wondered if he and Ayra developed a close friendship with one another for the length of time she had been here.

...

Colette found herself in the kitchen, leaning against the table with a half eaten apple in her hand. Aarva busied himself with preparing lunch. He seemed less himself today and Colette knew he was saddened to hear about her leaving tomorrow.

"Your sulking is going to ruin the food," she mused. She hoped a little humor would pull him out of his deep focus on dicing vegetables.

He gave her a half smile but quickly dropped it. "It's him, isn't it?"

Colette looked at Aarva and debated telling him the truth.

"Damn him." He breathed, plunging the knife into the table. "Every time a maiden comes to the door he winds up fucking them, then killing them."

Colette reeled back at the vulgar and somewhat violent retort. There was bitterness and hurt  in his voice.

"I'm sorry." He exhaled, gripping the edges of the table.

She knew he was losing a friend. A companion. That was what he had become to her the week that she had been here. She knew he felt the same towards her.

"I am not leaving because of him." Liar. " I'm leaving because my father is well enough to travel and because..." say it. "I am to be betrothed when I arrive home."

Aarva looked up with wide eyes. His bitter frown slowly morphed turned a wide devilish grin. His teeth gleamed with saliva as he smiled deviously at her. "Oh. Betrothed you say? Well then. It sounds more like you're running to hop into bed with your betrothed." He purred.

Colette shucked the apple at him and he took the impact in the center of his face. "Gah!" He yelled then laughed.

"Oh yes. The lady is twitching to get between the blankets."

Colette's face turned bright red as she tried not to smirk. "I beg your pardon but that is the last thing on my mind." Though embarrassed, her heart flooded with relief at his change of attitude.

"And wouldn't you like to know." She mused. "You seem to keep yourself and another..." she raised an accusatory brow. "...busy in the blankets at night."
She was leaving tomorrow and she saw spilling his little secret as finding peace with what she would soon leave behind.

It was Aarvas turn to blush and his dark skin deepened a shade further as he struggled to find his words. Colette nearly laughed. He was never at loss for words.

"What you do in your blankets is your business as shall mine be," she purred. It was too enjoyable watching him squirm with shameless guilt.

"You sneaky little sphinx," he hissed, pointing an accusing finger at her.

...

Evening came faster than she expected and Colette found herself in her room, bathed, in her nightgown and brushing her hair at the vanity. Tomorrow she would leave the castle. Leave behind her father, Niel, Beatrice, Aarva and... him.

She wasn't sure how she felt right now. She knew what awaited her when she got home. Gregorie. She did miss his incessant teasing. She didn't find all of it to be unbearing and he was handsome. And most importantly he cared for her. She knew she would be content with the love he offered alone. She only wished her father would be there to witness the happiness he so readily desired for her. She would miss him dearly, but Sébastien promised him his care and safety.

Love. Would she feel that one day toward Gregorie? Did it happen instantaneously? Would she know when she fell in love?

There was a soft knock at her door and her mind went straight to Sébastien. Another knock. "Come in." Her heart hammered in her chest but as soon as Beatrice's head appeared around the door it sank some. What was she expecting? She made her intentions very clear this morning when she walked right past him without saying a word. She had many words to say to him, but she knew they would be futile. And after finding out about Ayra, her words would mean nothing.

"Beatrice. Was there something you needed?" The maid had already gone earlier after preparing her bath.

She bowed her head feebishly before walking over to where she sat. She had a small vial in her hand which she sat on the vanity. A small piece of parchment had been tied around it with a gold ribbon. Colette read the tiny lettering.

A wedding gift for you. Perfume. We will miss you greatly.

Colette looked up at her with suprise. "How do you know I am to be betrothed?" She and her father were the only ones who knew. She suppose her father may have mentioned it to Beatrice. "My father?" She asked.

The maid bowed her head.

"Oh. Does... does Niel know?" Does he know. If Niel knew then surely he would have told Sébastien.
The maid shrugged her shoulders, unsure. Colette sank a little with relief. Maybe her father had only mentioned it to Beatrice. She knew the maid was wary if not outright scared of Sébastien and more than likely did not share the information with him.

"Thank you. For the perfume." She held up the vile and it's purple sheen caught the light from a candle. She opened up the tiny silver lid and turned the long vial upside down against her wrist. She dabbed a couple of drops and the strong scent of lavender filled the air immediately.

"Lavender." She breathed in. She used her damp wrist to spread the scent up her arms, across her collarbone and neck. She loved the scent of lavender. Beatrice must have smelled it on her when she had arrived at the castle.

"Thank you, really. I love it. I will miss you as well. I've never had a lady in waiting and you've taken such good care of me and have been so kind to me. I am forever grateful."

She stood to hug the maid and Beatrice returned the gesture before parting ways. She gave her a good squeeze on the shoulder before leaving the room.

Colette tucked the vial into her cloth satchel before climbing into bed. Her mother use to bathe herself in lavender infused water. It was such a lovely scent. Colette adopted the method only to be able to wear a small part of her mother everyday. She had not thought of her mother very much since being here. Beatrice had scrubbed away every lingering smell of her. She hoped the maid knew how much this gift meant to her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

789K 45K 40
"Well, well, well." I felt the entirety of my body stiffen. "Pray tell," the masculine voice murmured as his chin rested down onto my shoulder, "what...
10.3K 566 64
Everything wasn't as simple as he thought. Dagen Steel. Having to be born as a slave, only to be bought by one of the most gruesome, fearless, rich...
4.2M 108K 35
REMINISCENT SERIES BOOK - 1 Excerpt: Rose was taking small steps to her husband's study. She had a medical file in her hand with tears in her eyes wh...
9.5K 269 34
My body trembled, but not from the cold. "You frighten me." His brow twitched, eyes darting around the features of my face. "Frighten, or excite?" Hi...